Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 8:00pm

Puppeteer launches this week – see the amazing original concept movie

Hi everyone. At last, after more than three years of hard work, we finally get to release Puppeteer this Wednesday for PS3 (or on Friday in the UK). It’s a true labour of love and we can’t wait to see what you all think of it. Take a look at the launch trailer above to whet your appetite!

While you’re waiting to get your hands on the game, we thought that you might like to take a look at the original concept movie too. That way you can compare where we ended up (above) to where we started (below). As you can see, the original gameplay ideas of the puppet theatre and the scissors have remained as the core experiences. You might also notice how Japanese the whole thing looks. Check it out:

When I started with Puppeteer the idea was to take a lot of inspiration from Japanese culture and mash it up into a crazy game. I really like the look but I am glad that we decided as a team to move the art direction to where we are now. Mixing both western and Japanese influences and moving more towards a darker, grimmer fairy tale feel. Besides, it would have been hard to be as creative and crazy with the characters and the world if we had stuck to the original look.

I do have a soft spot for this concept video though, because I actually animated it myself with my good friend Anri. This was the last piece of animation that I did. After Puppeteer swung into production I had to concentrate heavily on the game, story and art direction. The funny thing about being an animator is that essentially you are a puppeteer!

Also I have to apologise because the voice over is my own voice…. so sorry. At least I was cheap. In fact I didn’t even pay myself, cheapskate.

Looking back over the three and a half years of production, Puppeteer has been a lot of fun to make. Half of me is glad that we have finally finished but the other half feels a little sorrow because I won’t be able to direct Kutaro on his crazy adventures anymore. The best thing is that finally you will all be able to play the game. I hope you have as much fun in the magically insane world of Puppeteer, as we did making it.

Right! I’m off to animate something else.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Edvardcooper 10 September, 2013 @ 8:55 pm   1

During these last weeks I’ve been really excited about this game. Looks amazing, fun and incredible.

I’m definitely gonna try to get it tomorrow. :)

T-H-U-N-D-E-R 10 September, 2013 @ 9:09 pm   2

Only two more days till I get my copy :)

redsnowluffy 10 September, 2013 @ 9:24 pm   3

the price is super attractive on the store, i already bought it, download complete yesterday, waiting for midnight to play with this piece of art

ThreeWallzz 10 September, 2013 @ 9:53 pm   4

such an awesome game!the demo was great!

Hi there, I loved the demo! I am doubting a response back but… It’s worth a try!! Any chance of this on PS4 or Vita? As I’m planning on buying it either way, truly an innovative game, such promise!

This looks very similar to Black Knight Sword…

WANT! Looks like one of those playstation games that you’re going to remember well into the next generation. And I really like the pricepoint, both in-store and retail. Well done!

alice_push_lara2 11 September, 2013 @ 1:37 pm   9

I`m not happy Sony, this game should be released on PSV!!!!!!

Carnivius_Prime 11 September, 2013 @ 1:47 pm   10

@9 If it sells well on PS3 than maybe it’ll get a PSV port. Can’t blame then for producing it on the more popular and profitable machine. With the new Vita coming out and the Vita’s use as a PS4 peripheral perhaps it’ll someday become profitable so games like this could take a chance on it. Companies got to make money to stay in business y’see and Vita games don’t make a lot of money especially when not part of some succesful pre-established franchise.

Puppeteer (available from 13th September for UK/IRE)
Price: £24.99/€39.99
PEGI: 12

screw you Puppeteer, with that kinda price discrimination I won’t be buying you even as a retail version.

So ..

i preordered Puppeteer and downloaded it today.

But wth people

In the store it said :
Beschikbare talen voor schermteksten en voice-over: Nederlands, Engels, Frans, Duits, Italiaans, Spaans, Portugees, Russisch, Pools, Deens, Fins, Noors, Zweeds en Turks.

So why … cant i play with english voices and dutch subs ????

This is the only reason i bought it. I dont wanna play it with dutch spoken language AND dutch subtitles.
I want english voices and dutch subtitles.

Will this be possible in a patch or something ? cause like this it is really bad.

Great stuff I look forward to picking up my copy tomorrow

I’ve had Puppeteer on the top of my list since the start of the year. To Gavin Moore and the rest of the Puppeteer team. You have done a terrific job. I can’t know for sure but I believe I am having as much fun playing it as you had making it.

Played the first 3 acts and loving the game so far. It really feels like a fairytale and am playing with a big smile on my face. Thank you for this amazing game.

guys theres an easy way to sort this title on vita, enable remote play via ps3.

everyone at sony says that developers can patch this in (like ico did) so why not do that its cheaper than a standalone game that may never happen.

after watching the trailer i have to ask, is this title 3d enabled?

hope so as it looks like it would be great in 3d and would finally give me a reason to actually use that part of my tv (got swept up in the 3d hype and it has just not delivered :( )

@ Hayzink

Yes it is 3d playable

U can download the demo and try it out .. thats playable in 3d too.

@Basket21