Posted 19 September

How to upgrade select PS3 games to PS4 version

As announced during PlayStation’s Gamescom press conference, there will be a simple way to upgrade to the PS4 digital version of five select games, for a low discounted price, when you buy the PS3 version of those games. Here are the full specifics so you’re set for 29th November – click here for full step-by-step instructions.

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, NBA 2K14 and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the same game from PlayStation Store when it becomes available, at the discounted price of £9.99/€9.99 (or £11.99/€14.99 for NBA 2K14)*.

WD_PS4_3D_Left_UKBF4ps43DPFTen

AC4BF_PS4_Inlay_UK-3D

Gamers who purchase a PS3 Blu-ray Disc of these four games will find a code packed into the PS3 version that they can redeem on PlayStation Store. To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 system arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 system for the discounted price of £9.99/€9.99 (or £11.99/€14.99 for NBA 2K14). Just purchase it and start playing!

For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy – you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 system arrives.

But don’t wait: This program lasts for a limited time. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before 31st January, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), 28th March (for Battlefield 4), or 31st March (for Call of Duty: Ghosts and NBA 2K 14) in order to participate.

*Full list of regional prices:

NBA 2K14:

48.00 ILS
43.50 RON
3035 HUF
19.60 BGN
1600.00 ISK

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

105 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

Won’t there be FIFA 14 support?

amaze balls. Game pre-orders swtiched from PS4 to PS3. Thanks for finally confirming the details of the scheme

yaylak_aksaray 19 September, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   3

fifa would be great!!!

To clarify: It costs £9.99 to upgrade a PS3 digital version, but free to upgrade a PS3 disc version?

RagingAvatar 19 September, 2013 @ 5:54 pm   5

Wait, so if I wanted to do this for Battlefield 4, I have to keep the PS3 BF4 disc and put that in my PS4 anytime I want to play BF4? Even though the game is now on my hdd and I’ve purchased the £9.99 upgrade?
(Not criticising just want clarity.)

when it says “To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!” will we need the ps3 disc forever if we wished to play the game or will it work similar to the crossbuy function?

I’ve got the Call of Duty Ghosts Hardened Edition pre order for PS3, will that come with a code too?

Why isnt FIFA 14 in this program ??

(for dutch peeps .. gamemania has a deal where u get the ps4 version for 20 euro if u trade in the ps3 version

for ac4/bf4/cod/FIFA

http://www.gamemania.nl/Default.aspx?tabid=119&iid=745 )

Zoomy-Ramen 19 September, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   9

Thanks Sony

$9.99 for Americans
£9.99 or $16 in England
9.99 Euros or $13

Zoomy-Ramen 19 September, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   10

$9.99 for Americans
£9.99 or $16 in England
9.99 Euros or $13

Wait why no Fifa 14?

Gamesgbkiller 19 September, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   12

So when I upgrade to BF4, do I have to still put the disk every time I want to play the game ?
Thanks.

electronicapunk 19 September, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   13

@antikewl, reread the article, it states that for disc versions you’ll have to pay 10 or 12 pounds, depending on the game, and that you’ll have to insert the disc into the PS4 console to activate the PS4 digital version.

If I buy my game in the UK (I live in Belgium), will the code work in the Belgium Store?

Thanks for the awnser!

Fifa??

Nice.

Now let’s do it for Diablo 3 too!

TheNarrator 19 September, 2013 @ 6:06 pm   17

looks like a great deal for folks moving from PS3 to PS4 and wanting to play those games :). this answered a few questions about the offers too (like needing the old discs to play) :D.

tempted to go for BF4 for sure.

dogwalker4000 19 September, 2013 @ 6:14 pm   18

Even if you just bought the PS4 versions of those games on Blu-Ray and installed it would still need the disc to play it, they’re not likely to give you a PS4 game at that price and not cover their bases.

Much like TheNarrator this has got me tempted for BF4 on PS3 now…was gonna hold out but now it’s worth a double dip.

So rather than give Sony the £9.99 you might as well walk into game and swap your PS3 version for a PS4 version of the game and give them the £9.99.

VitalogyPJ 19 September, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   20

If you’re gonna get the ps4, then wait and buy the game for the ps4 only, do not support this new way of milking.

Eaasy question : you talk about 4 titles
But the nect colom talk about 5

Which one is it?

Does anyone know if this apply to the US versions as well??

the details to how the ps3 disc in ps4 will work are linked in this post so i dont know why some are asking how it will work, it wont be like cross buy

“You will need to keep the PS3 disc inserted into your PS4 system in order to play the PS4 digital version of the game. If you eject the PS3 disc from your PS4 system, the game will stop playing.”

so you will need to keep your ps3 version forever unless they patch it or something.

So are PS4 games 10 euro more expensive then PS3 games?
When I look for prices online they are insanely high. If that’s the trend I’m out…

johnnyquicknives 19 September, 2013 @ 6:39 pm   25

When are you going to post detailing next gen digital pricing. Will PS4 games still command a 50% price increase despite the manufacture and distribution costs being removed?

Nightmare966 19 September, 2013 @ 6:44 pm   26

Hi Fred, just wanted to make sure: If the Webstore lets us buy PS4 games, we should be able to get those before even our PS4 arrives home to make sure we get them, right?

Also, do you hve any news on DLC? I know CoD: Ghosts is cross-buy if you get the Season Pass thanks to the Store description, but what about the rest?

Thanks for confirming this information — I was particularly interested in ACIV:BF.

FIFA 14 please! :-(

beter to wait untile ps4 version comes out
10 € waisted + folowing months i play gta v
untile ps4 .

goast cod on disk on ps4
pas ( 49,99€ )also on ps4

mincraft ( psn :( i want disk after gta v joke but i hope u companie not makes mistakes again ps4+ vita version )

instead of infamous i go ac : black flag ( i not forget long time gtav digital version joke )

freakwave82 19 September, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   29

Do the pre-order bonuses etc. carry over?

10 € more
= always when them louch new console
jes i nowh not corect but also reason to buy onli 1 – 2 games then wait 1 jear whith al other games u like .
only way them understend 59 € = max price new game

Going by the “how to upgrade” thing you pay if it’s digital or retail.

what about if I got “Battlefield 4 Premium edition” on PS3 ?? would I still going to get it on PS4 as a Premium edition ??
I’m really keen to know this so please to let me down :(

RenoTonakai 19 September, 2013 @ 7:10 pm   33

What about the people who already pre-ordered the games for the PS4?

dont* let me down

Lilgrimmy00 19 September, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   35

I’ve had a similar idea to all this for a while now. Why not when you buy a new game have a code to enter on the ps store so as to verify a purchase and links to your account and that game is stuck to you forever. That way if the disc was to [DELETED] or what ever you can then download it when ever. Something like that any way. Probably need something to stop people to purchase then trade in. Like need the disc to download with a code built through the disc verifying as such I dunno. But [DELETED] the whole price conversion thing. The games are expensive as they are

Nightmare966 19 September, 2013 @ 7:25 pm   36

Well, Fred, if you read me before answering, scrap my very first question! I see the website does mention the PC Store :)

One last thing, though: I understand from the post that the PS3 disc is only needed to activate the game for the first time, right?

Thanks again :)

Well seeing how we’re get shafted in the UK with pricing as usual I’ll just wait the 4 weeks until 29th for Battlefield 4. None of those other games interest me.

LotheriaSeldoria 19 September, 2013 @ 7:32 pm   38

USA – $9.99

UK – £9.99

You Must Think We are Stupid Sony, You Guys Will Never Learn

LotheriaSeldoria 19 September, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   39

@monoliet Google Translate is your friend… use it XD

After the upgrade, are we gonna be able to play them on both ps3 and ps4, or just on ps4 ?

@Nightmare966

thats in the link provided by fred so disk is always needed

If you ask me and I know most of you will agree. . The upgrade should be free. Yeah its only £10 but still should be free. I have pre ordered PS4 and BF4 on PS3, i will be getting BF4 premium so the upgrade should be cost free. Christ im spending enough cash just like a lot of you guys. If I can save a tenner I will.

For those wondering about other PS3 games coming to PS4:

At the Tokyo Game Show today, Shuhei Yoshida announced that Sony will soon launch a library of PlayStation 3 titles via its Gaikai cloud-gaming service. Yoshida also confirmed that the games will be available to play on the PS4 — as previously rumored — as well as on the PS Vita and Vita TV. Given that the PlayStation 4 won’t natively support PS3 titles when it launches stateside later this year, the cloud-based options should come as a huge relief to those looking to pick up the company’s latest console and, you know, have something compelling to play. Look for this service to hit the US in 2014 — no word yet on when it will launch in Europe.

PS3 digital+10e= ps4 digital ??

Gamesgbkiller 19 September, 2013 @ 8:07 pm   45

BTW..

I can’t find BF4 pre-order on the store.

Why ?

BiGsMoO7ke 19 September, 2013 @ 8:28 pm   46

What about the missing GTA V problem in the PS Store?
anyone? :(

Gameboys123 19 September, 2013 @ 8:38 pm   47

This feature would be really useful if there will ever be a PS4 version of The Last of Us and/or Grand Theft Auto V

Sucks that none of those 4 games actually interest me
Diablo 3 would be nice

Ok so Im happy to see its 10e in Portugal (although it should be around 8.5€).

I have a question, where is Fifa 14? Didn’t you guys said Fifa would be on that program? What happen?

I hope nba 2k14 be the only game that have a greedier company!

MadDogxIRLx 19 September, 2013 @ 9:53 pm   50

I for one don’t understand why someone would do this, i’d say something if ps4 was mths aways but most of these games come out just a couple of weeks before ps4 launch, so why can’t ppl just wait till ps4 is out and then get the games ??? to me personally speaking this is pointless and just a way of taking more money from us..

Load all