Posted 2:00pm

Drakengard 3 is coming to PS3 in 2014

Drakengard fans, rejoice! We’re proud to announce that Drakengard 3 is coming to PlayStation 3 in digital format next year.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Drakengard series, and it’s been seven years since the launch of Drakengard 2. Producer Takamasa Shiba is back to bring you along on another incredible and twisted journey.

ScreenShot00027reSpear_04

Never played the original Drakengard? What many people don’t know about Drakengard 3 is that it’s actually a prequel, and leads up to the events of the original Drakengard. Perfect for existing fans of the series – and newcomers too!

For all those Square Enix music fans, renowned Composer Keichi Okabe, who scored Nier, joins the Drakengard family, and crafted a beautiful soundtrack for this game. I have to say, the music in Drakengard 3 is amazing. Certainly for me, it’s one of the highlights of the trailer! Excited? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

BG50_CHC_10_Map_00000BG20_MNT_30_Map_00008

Drakengard 3 is slated for a digital release next year exclusively on the PS3. Remember to follow Drakengard on Facebook for the latest updates!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

78 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks nice, will probably get it, too bad its next year.

Suzzopher 9 October, 2013 @ 2:13 pm   2

Digital only in Europe? Guess I’ll import from the States.

Shou_Kobayashi 9 October, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   3

@Suzzopher That is not what they are saying. They say that the digital release is exclusive on the PS3 :)

I’m excited with the European announcement and all but digital only? Really?
I want a Retail copy for my Drakengard collection. Make it happen! Don’t kill this game by only releasing it digitally.

Does the game meet the series strict standards for child murder, cannibalism, incest, and genocide?

Stealth20k 9 October, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   6

So let me get this straight.

You localize this digital only when the other games were physical. You wont localize dragon quest or any of your good properties.

Wow Square enix sure has fallen

RemyX-1988 9 October, 2013 @ 2:48 pm   7

Why is this game a digital-only title in Europe, yet receives a physical copy in North America? This makes no sense! Collectible games such as these deserve a physical copy. It’ll even sell better when it has a physical copy because people will actually know and see that it exists.

It’s still beyond me why companies think a digital-only release of their game is safer to release than a physical copy. Not everyone checks the PlayStation Store every day to see if something new was released, and Store Update blog posts are only relevant for a day…

If this game doesn’t receive a physical version in Europe, I will import the North American version instead.

I WAS LIKE THIS EXCITED! *EXCIIIIIIIITED*

Until I got to the part that it’s digital only…
Yet again in Europe… go away with this treatment, again Europe which has to pay more for games so that US can have their 2-3% Tax on digital games and 49$ retail games gets shafted…

MagatsuShadow 9 October, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   9

Digital format only? *facepalm*

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:03 pm   10

Mark my words, you’re gonna kill this game if you only release it digitally.
SCEE, please help Square Enix publish this game in retail format. Thank you.

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   11

Hey guys and girls, sorry to hear you’re not happy with the digital release in Europe – we’re listening to your feedback and I’ll pass it on to the team. Still, there’s quite some time between now and release, so if there are any changes I will make sure you know about it!

If anyone has questions about the game, please feel free to ask.

Artemisthemp 9 October, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   12

I am happy for this been released in the West, but I am not going with the Digital version, if I can import from US and get a psychical edition.

DizzyQViper 9 October, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   13

Digital only in Europe? Is this some sort of new trend? First Sega shafts us with digital only for Project Diva F and now this.

The worst part is that because the EU fans will import the US physical version they will prolly look at the EU sales and will continue this crap.

I guess Bandai-Namco is the only company who still takes the EU serious with their limited editions of the PS3 Tales games.

I’m really disappointed.

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:19 pm   14

Thank you, Lee Williams. It’s good to know our feedback is being heard. It’s not like we are not happy with the digital release, the problem is the lack of a retail version as well. The more formats the more people will get into the series and as a Drakengard fan and collector, it would feel incomplete without a physical copy of Drakengard 3 next to the other 3 games.

Silent_Gig 9 October, 2013 @ 3:22 pm   15

I dont have a problem it being released on digital unless you release a Collectors Edition of somekind in the US – if im missing ut on goodies then ill have to import.

Looks great I loved Nier so will definitely pick this up. Looks like Dark Souls 2 won’t be my last PS3 game!
I will however import it like everyone else. Not a fan of digital myself!

gelenk-guenter 9 October, 2013 @ 3:26 pm   17

Please give us physical release.

KylieDog 9 October, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   18

Digital only is a good as not releasing to me.

Not buying it. Square-Enix continues to be worthless.

Extra slap in the face is US gets a physical copy, and no, not paying trumped up import prices.

I would have bought a physical version had it been available in Europe, even if it meant ordering it directly through the Square Enix Store like in North America.

Digital only I think I’ll wait for it to be on PS+ Instant Game Collection or heavily discounted, sorry.

I’ll be really honest, i don’t buy Digital Releases. And i will not import it.
I think it’s rather rude to you consumers to have a physical release in a continent(in which you had to localize) and in another you just don’t give a crap and throw us a Digital Release only.

Carnivius_Prime 9 October, 2013 @ 3:37 pm   21

Didn’t realise that many people still used discs. Gave up on those myself a while ago, cept for the odd game too old to have had a PSN version. Am much happier with digital for a lot of reasons (making my PS3 and it’s 200+ games a lot easier to carry in my backpack being one). Still yeah I guess there should be a disc version for those who prefer it.

Very nice, I’m REALLY looking forward to play this game. Nier (which is sort of a Drakengard spin-off) is the best game of this console generation as far as I’m concerned.

Now SEGA just have to announce a western release of Yakuza 1&2 HD and especially Yakuza 5 and I will be content as far as PS3 games go, unless something other cool japanese game is announced before every developer switch to PS4.

Another thing though, I really wish Square-Enix released more PS1 games on European PSN, there are so many US PS1 games that we never got here back in the days, and releasing them now digitally in the EU PSN import section would be absolutely perfect. Games like Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears and so on.

Allen_Kirameki 9 October, 2013 @ 3:45 pm   23

So, @Lee Williams, I asked you in SE Blog, but I’ll do again here : Which languages will support the game? Multi 5?
From a spanish Drakengard Fan…

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Hey Allen, I saw your comment on our blog post, and I’ll get back to you on there too. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but Drakengard 3 will only support English and Japanese languages, with English and French subtitles also available.

Oh yeah, it would be nice if Square-Enix released more PS2 games on PSN now too since PS2 games are now supported.

Drakengard 1&2 feels especially relevant now, but Musashi: Samurai Legend would be very nice too, for example.

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:58 pm   25

Drakengard HD Collection. That would be great :D

aeonlord92 9 October, 2013 @ 4:22 pm   26

Please, please, please, don’t let this just be a digital release only. I’m of the ilk that prefers to have physical copies of games – I love cases, manuals and disks. Hopefully, it’ll help the game sell a few more copies and reach more people too. A retail release would be amazing but I know the words of a few probably aren’t going to sway people… Though it is nice to know that we are being seen and heard at least, thank you @Lee Williams :D

P.S I agree with people that seeing Drakengard 1 & 2 on the PS Store as PS2 classics (I’m aware and not blind to the fact that seeing them being remade in HD would never happen :P) would be nice – both for us that love the series and newbies who want to know what it’s all about.

Allen_Kirameki 9 October, 2013 @ 4:28 pm   27

@Lee Williams, oh well, at least it comes with japanese voices. Thanks for answer me!
Waiting for pre order bonus like, for example, Kaine Skin for Zero DLC :P

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

Sorry Allen, the European version of Drakengard 3 will not come with Japanese voice overs. I meant that there will only be two versions: a Japanese and an English version. French subtitles will be included on the European release. But it’s still quite a while from launch and anything can happen between then and now.

RedMustang72 9 October, 2013 @ 4:57 pm   28

@22, Alestes…good to see some recognition for Nier, almost agree, can’t quite commit to ‘best’ game but it’s certainly one of the most underrated games of this generation. It’s a fabulous game/story, and it’s one of the best journeys I’ve ever been on in a game! Great piece of work.

I’ll be keeping an eye on D3, just not sure what impact the PS4 will have on future PS3 purchases. I don’t mind digital myself but I do appreciate others desires for the physical format. I do find it odd though that NA will receive physical product and EU don’t?!

D1 & 2 on the store would be a wise idea, and an HD remaster would be great but I don’t see that happening…unfortunately.

European_Gamer 9 October, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   29

I’m happy that you are beginning to release some of your Japanese games with Japanese voices/audio/language and English subtitles, please consider doing this and make a PS Vita version of Final Fantasy Type-0 and for the upcoming Final Fantasy 15.

And here is my question, have you considered making a PS4 version of Drakengard 3?

Twilight-Magus 9 October, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   30

I thought Square Enix would have learned from Capcom after the whole Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies digital only debacle. Still I guess it’s good that they are localizing the game but I really do want to have a physical copy as I own all the previous game and being one of my favorite franchise.

Japanese dub is a great news, thank you Lee.
I wish you’ll change your mind about the “digital only” in europe, import is more expensive.

nakano1987 9 October, 2013 @ 7:30 pm   32

@Stray84 It sadly doesn’t come with Japanese dub. Square-Enix could save on budget and discard English dubbing and giving the original… Well at least in a form of Japanese voice patch like a few other games. You can sell it for a few euros if you require extra money for that.

I haven’t played the previous games of Drakenkard, but I am definitely interested in. The music does indeed sound excellent! I just don’t like the character design of having a flower in eye (why?).

Square-Enix, next resurrect Chrono series. If you’re uncertain doing it right, you can outsource the project Monolith Soft as they apparently have many original creators. And also looking forward to Final Fantasy XII|Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Collection on PS3 (hopely).

dark_angel69 9 October, 2013 @ 7:40 pm   33

The trailer looks pretty cool. Never heard of this before so may be a good start for me. Will be keeping my eye on this for sure. In the meantime can you pass word onto the other Square Enix members and tell them to get Kingdom Hearts 2.5 in the makes if they haven’t done so already! :D Thanks

cerberus-warrior 9 October, 2013 @ 7:44 pm   34

Really what makes north America so special that they a physical copy and we don’t. Square Enix just get your game together.

medenko1975 9 October, 2013 @ 8:42 pm   35

of course everyone wants physical copy….make it both, let people choose.

@nakano I didn’t read the second reply. Now I’m very disappointed.

Killerattax 9 October, 2013 @ 9:27 pm   37

@Lee Willians
Will any version of Drakengad 3 (even if it’s the Asian or Japenese Version) feature Japanese audio and English subtitles?

xxDarkflowerX 9 October, 2013 @ 9:29 pm   38

Really glad to hear it’s getting localized, but this better not be one of those Not Available in Australia, New Zealand games.

MisterGottlos 9 October, 2013 @ 9:59 pm   39

Nice! So much love for Europe. Looking at the sales of the Predecessors (Drakengard 1 and 2), Europe and North America are almost equal. So, releasing the game only Digital in Europe due to bad sales of the Predecessors, this is an invalid argument.

Well, the Playstation 3 is import friendly. But I don’t have to tell, most of the people will import the game and that is the only reason the European Version will suck.

I still don’t get one thing: Will the North American Retail Version feature Dual Audio or just the englisch voices? And only the European version will feature just english voices?

Anyway. The News is nice. Sadly with a taste of Digital Only for Europe.

Greetings from Germany.

Origene-Sona 9 October, 2013 @ 10:19 pm   40

Good and unexpected, but I won’t buy a digital copy of Drakengar 3. Never.
A retail version, on the other hand, is more than welcome. I’m OK whit limited run on SquareEnix Store too.

Zieghardt 9 October, 2013 @ 10:30 pm   41

Physical release or I’m not buying, I loved Drakengard 1 & 2 and I’ll be very sorry to pass on this if so but no way am I paying vastly more than americans are paying for the privilege of being treated like a second class customer. Really disappointing.

the_maze_404 9 October, 2013 @ 11:55 pm   42

I´d also like to ask again if there is any physical version with japanese voices and english text and subs
Wouldn´t buy a digital version and only english voices would be very disappointing also

Lee Williams 10 October, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Unfortunately there will not be a physical or digital version of Drakengard 3 with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Only English and Japanese versions of the game will be available on release, and the English language version will include French subtitles.

I feel I must also stress that I would be much prefer to buy a physical, retail copy of this than reluctantly buy a digital version. I’ve recently passed on digital versions of games I’ve wanted a fair bit, such as Project Diva f, due to the fact I would much rather spend my money on a physical release! I was prepping myself to import this beauty from the USA after the news of digital only in the EU, only to find out it is being sold direct in the Square Enix store and not by general retailers.

If you are concerned about releasing the game physically through various retailers, can I suggest that you adopt the same method as your US branch is using and selling it direct on your web store? I would happily put down and pay a preorder upfront as this has been one game I have been hoping would get localized since it was announced. I truly adore Nier, which might I add, you brought over physically for both PS3 and XB360! Nier has proven itself to be a cult hit with so many people calling it their game of the generation – it is certainly one of my favourite games of all time.

Take a chance, please.
Let me put my copy of Nier next to a physical copy of this.

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:19 am   44

So japanese dub and no physical release………. Do you really not want this game to sell??? The dub I can overlook, but the non physical release….. you’ve lost a sale :/

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:20 am   45

Was meant to say NO JAP DUB :/

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:21 am   46

Meant to say ‘no japanese dub’

I can live with no JP VO but disc release please.

blendercat27 10 October, 2013 @ 2:59 am   48

Looking forward to this. Am very excited to play. Because I don’t have my panties in a bunch over a disc.

thepiebox_314 10 October, 2013 @ 3:28 am   49

I’m assuming the reason we’re not getting a physical release is because Digital River doesn’t distribute to many EU countries, if at all…? I would love a EU physical copy if there was a way – trying to get a US import via Ebay would be an expensive headache!

Talking about physical releases, I kinda wish for the opposite when it comes to Nier. A digital release of Nier on PSN would be great.

Load all