Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 2:00pm

Drakengard 3 is coming to PS3 in 2014

Drakengard fans, rejoice! We’re proud to announce that Drakengard 3 is coming to PlayStation 3 in digital format next year.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Drakengard series, and it’s been seven years since the launch of Drakengard 2. Producer Takamasa Shiba is back to bring you along on another incredible and twisted journey.

ScreenShot00027reSpear_04

Never played the original Drakengard? What many people don’t know about Drakengard 3 is that it’s actually a prequel, and leads up to the events of the original Drakengard. Perfect for existing fans of the series – and newcomers too!

For all those Square Enix music fans, renowned Composer Keichi Okabe, who scored Nier, joins the Drakengard family, and crafted a beautiful soundtrack for this game. I have to say, the music in Drakengard 3 is amazing. Certainly for me, it’s one of the highlights of the trailer! Excited? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

BG50_CHC_10_Map_00000BG20_MNT_30_Map_00008

Drakengard 3 is slated for a digital release next year exclusively on the PS3. Remember to follow Drakengard on Facebook for the latest updates!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

78 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks nice, will probably get it, too bad its next year.

Suzzopher 9 October, 2013 @ 2:13 pm   2

Digital only in Europe? Guess I’ll import from the States.

Shou_Kobayashi 9 October, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   3

@Suzzopher That is not what they are saying. They say that the digital release is exclusive on the PS3 :)

I’m excited with the European announcement and all but digital only? Really?
I want a Retail copy for my Drakengard collection. Make it happen! Don’t kill this game by only releasing it digitally.

Does the game meet the series strict standards for child murder, cannibalism, incest, and genocide?

Stealth20k 9 October, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   6

So let me get this straight.

You localize this digital only when the other games were physical. You wont localize dragon quest or any of your good properties.

Wow Square enix sure has fallen

RemyX-1988 9 October, 2013 @ 2:48 pm   7

Why is this game a digital-only title in Europe, yet receives a physical copy in North America? This makes no sense! Collectible games such as these deserve a physical copy. It’ll even sell better when it has a physical copy because people will actually know and see that it exists.

It’s still beyond me why companies think a digital-only release of their game is safer to release than a physical copy. Not everyone checks the PlayStation Store every day to see if something new was released, and Store Update blog posts are only relevant for a day…

If this game doesn’t receive a physical version in Europe, I will import the North American version instead.

I WAS LIKE THIS EXCITED! *EXCIIIIIIIITED*

Until I got to the part that it’s digital only…
Yet again in Europe… go away with this treatment, again Europe which has to pay more for games so that US can have their 2-3% Tax on digital games and 49$ retail games gets shafted…

MagatsuShadow 9 October, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   9

Digital format only? *facepalm*

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:03 pm   10

Mark my words, you’re gonna kill this game if you only release it digitally.
SCEE, please help Square Enix publish this game in retail format. Thank you.

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   11

Hey guys and girls, sorry to hear you’re not happy with the digital release in Europe – we’re listening to your feedback and I’ll pass it on to the team. Still, there’s quite some time between now and release, so if there are any changes I will make sure you know about it!

If anyone has questions about the game, please feel free to ask.

Artemisthemp 9 October, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   12

I am happy for this been released in the West, but I am not going with the Digital version, if I can import from US and get a psychical edition.

DizzyQViper 9 October, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   13

Digital only in Europe? Is this some sort of new trend? First Sega shafts us with digital only for Project Diva F and now this.

The worst part is that because the EU fans will import the US physical version they will prolly look at the EU sales and will continue this crap.

I guess Bandai-Namco is the only company who still takes the EU serious with their limited editions of the PS3 Tales games.

I’m really disappointed.

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:19 pm   14

Thank you, Lee Williams. It’s good to know our feedback is being heard. It’s not like we are not happy with the digital release, the problem is the lack of a retail version as well. The more formats the more people will get into the series and as a Drakengard fan and collector, it would feel incomplete without a physical copy of Drakengard 3 next to the other 3 games.

Silent_Gig 9 October, 2013 @ 3:22 pm   15

I dont have a problem it being released on digital unless you release a Collectors Edition of somekind in the US – if im missing ut on goodies then ill have to import.

Looks great I loved Nier so will definitely pick this up. Looks like Dark Souls 2 won’t be my last PS3 game!
I will however import it like everyone else. Not a fan of digital myself!

gelenk-guenter 9 October, 2013 @ 3:26 pm   17

Please give us physical release.

KylieDog 9 October, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   18

Digital only is a good as not releasing to me.

Not buying it. Square-Enix continues to be worthless.

Extra slap in the face is US gets a physical copy, and no, not paying trumped up import prices.

I would have bought a physical version had it been available in Europe, even if it meant ordering it directly through the Square Enix Store like in North America.

Digital only I think I’ll wait for it to be on PS+ Instant Game Collection or heavily discounted, sorry.

I’ll be really honest, i don’t buy Digital Releases. And i will not import it.
I think it’s rather rude to you consumers to have a physical release in a continent(in which you had to localize) and in another you just don’t give a crap and throw us a Digital Release only.

Carnivius_Prime 9 October, 2013 @ 3:37 pm   21

Didn’t realise that many people still used discs. Gave up on those myself a while ago, cept for the odd game too old to have had a PSN version. Am much happier with digital for a lot of reasons (making my PS3 and it’s 200+ games a lot easier to carry in my backpack being one). Still yeah I guess there should be a disc version for those who prefer it.

Very nice, I’m REALLY looking forward to play this game. Nier (which is sort of a Drakengard spin-off) is the best game of this console generation as far as I’m concerned.

Now SEGA just have to announce a western release of Yakuza 1&2 HD and especially Yakuza 5 and I will be content as far as PS3 games go, unless something other cool japanese game is announced before every developer switch to PS4.

Another thing though, I really wish Square-Enix released more PS1 games on European PSN, there are so many US PS1 games that we never got here back in the days, and releasing them now digitally in the EU PSN import section would be absolutely perfect. Games like Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, Valkyrie Profile, Xenogears and so on.

Allen_Kirameki 9 October, 2013 @ 3:45 pm   23

So, @Lee Williams, I asked you in SE Blog, but I’ll do again here : Which languages will support the game? Multi 5?
From a spanish Drakengard Fan…

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

Hey Allen, I saw your comment on our blog post, and I’ll get back to you on there too. I know it’s not what you want to hear, but Drakengard 3 will only support English and Japanese languages, with English and French subtitles also available.

Oh yeah, it would be nice if Square-Enix released more PS2 games on PSN now too since PS2 games are now supported.

Drakengard 1&2 feels especially relevant now, but Musashi: Samurai Legend would be very nice too, for example.

Cloud_AC 9 October, 2013 @ 3:58 pm   25

Drakengard HD Collection. That would be great :D

aeonlord92 9 October, 2013 @ 4:22 pm   26

Please, please, please, don’t let this just be a digital release only. I’m of the ilk that prefers to have physical copies of games – I love cases, manuals and disks. Hopefully, it’ll help the game sell a few more copies and reach more people too. A retail release would be amazing but I know the words of a few probably aren’t going to sway people… Though it is nice to know that we are being seen and heard at least, thank you @Lee Williams :D

P.S I agree with people that seeing Drakengard 1 & 2 on the PS Store as PS2 classics (I’m aware and not blind to the fact that seeing them being remade in HD would never happen :P) would be nice – both for us that love the series and newbies who want to know what it’s all about.

Allen_Kirameki 9 October, 2013 @ 4:28 pm   27

@Lee Williams, oh well, at least it comes with japanese voices. Thanks for answer me!
Waiting for pre order bonus like, for example, Kaine Skin for Zero DLC :P

Lee Williams 9 October, 2013 @ 5:52 pm

Sorry Allen, the European version of Drakengard 3 will not come with Japanese voice overs. I meant that there will only be two versions: a Japanese and an English version. French subtitles will be included on the European release. But it’s still quite a while from launch and anything can happen between then and now.

RedMustang72 9 October, 2013 @ 4:57 pm   28

@22, Alestes…good to see some recognition for Nier, almost agree, can’t quite commit to ‘best’ game but it’s certainly one of the most underrated games of this generation. It’s a fabulous game/story, and it’s one of the best journeys I’ve ever been on in a game! Great piece of work.

I’ll be keeping an eye on D3, just not sure what impact the PS4 will have on future PS3 purchases. I don’t mind digital myself but I do appreciate others desires for the physical format. I do find it odd though that NA will receive physical product and EU don’t?!

D1 & 2 on the store would be a wise idea, and an HD remaster would be great but I don’t see that happening…unfortunately.

European_Gamer 9 October, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   29

I’m happy that you are beginning to release some of your Japanese games with Japanese voices/audio/language and English subtitles, please consider doing this and make a PS Vita version of Final Fantasy Type-0 and for the upcoming Final Fantasy 15.

And here is my question, have you considered making a PS4 version of Drakengard 3?

Twilight-Magus 9 October, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   30

I thought Square Enix would have learned from Capcom after the whole Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies digital only debacle. Still I guess it’s good that they are localizing the game but I really do want to have a physical copy as I own all the previous game and being one of my favorite franchise.

Japanese dub is a great news, thank you Lee.
I wish you’ll change your mind about the “digital only” in europe, import is more expensive.

nakano1987 9 October, 2013 @ 7:30 pm   32

@Stray84 It sadly doesn’t come with Japanese dub. Square-Enix could save on budget and discard English dubbing and giving the original… Well at least in a form of Japanese voice patch like a few other games. You can sell it for a few euros if you require extra money for that.

I haven’t played the previous games of Drakenkard, but I am definitely interested in. The music does indeed sound excellent! I just don’t like the character design of having a flower in eye (why?).

Square-Enix, next resurrect Chrono series. If you’re uncertain doing it right, you can outsource the project Monolith Soft as they apparently have many original creators. And also looking forward to Final Fantasy XII|Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Collection on PS3 (hopely).

dark_angel69 9 October, 2013 @ 7:40 pm   33

The trailer looks pretty cool. Never heard of this before so may be a good start for me. Will be keeping my eye on this for sure. In the meantime can you pass word onto the other Square Enix members and tell them to get Kingdom Hearts 2.5 in the makes if they haven’t done so already! :D Thanks

cerberus-warrior 9 October, 2013 @ 7:44 pm   34

Really what makes north America so special that they a physical copy and we don’t. Square Enix just get your game together.

medenko1975 9 October, 2013 @ 8:42 pm   35

of course everyone wants physical copy….make it both, let people choose.

@nakano I didn’t read the second reply. Now I’m very disappointed.

Killerattax 9 October, 2013 @ 9:27 pm   37

@Lee Willians
Will any version of Drakengad 3 (even if it’s the Asian or Japenese Version) feature Japanese audio and English subtitles?

xxDarkflowerX 9 October, 2013 @ 9:29 pm   38

Really glad to hear it’s getting localized, but this better not be one of those Not Available in Australia, New Zealand games.

MisterGottlos 9 October, 2013 @ 9:59 pm   39

Nice! So much love for Europe. Looking at the sales of the Predecessors (Drakengard 1 and 2), Europe and North America are almost equal. So, releasing the game only Digital in Europe due to bad sales of the Predecessors, this is an invalid argument.

Well, the Playstation 3 is import friendly. But I don’t have to tell, most of the people will import the game and that is the only reason the European Version will suck.

I still don’t get one thing: Will the North American Retail Version feature Dual Audio or just the englisch voices? And only the European version will feature just english voices?

Anyway. The News is nice. Sadly with a taste of Digital Only for Europe.

Greetings from Germany.

Origene-Sona 9 October, 2013 @ 10:19 pm   40

Good and unexpected, but I won’t buy a digital copy of Drakengar 3. Never.
A retail version, on the other hand, is more than welcome. I’m OK whit limited run on SquareEnix Store too.

Zieghardt 9 October, 2013 @ 10:30 pm   41

Physical release or I’m not buying, I loved Drakengard 1 & 2 and I’ll be very sorry to pass on this if so but no way am I paying vastly more than americans are paying for the privilege of being treated like a second class customer. Really disappointing.

the_maze_404 9 October, 2013 @ 11:55 pm   42

I´d also like to ask again if there is any physical version with japanese voices and english text and subs
Wouldn´t buy a digital version and only english voices would be very disappointing also

Lee Williams 10 October, 2013 @ 11:50 am

Unfortunately there will not be a physical or digital version of Drakengard 3 with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Only English and Japanese versions of the game will be available on release, and the English language version will include French subtitles.

I feel I must also stress that I would be much prefer to buy a physical, retail copy of this than reluctantly buy a digital version. I’ve recently passed on digital versions of games I’ve wanted a fair bit, such as Project Diva f, due to the fact I would much rather spend my money on a physical release! I was prepping myself to import this beauty from the USA after the news of digital only in the EU, only to find out it is being sold direct in the Square Enix store and not by general retailers.

If you are concerned about releasing the game physically through various retailers, can I suggest that you adopt the same method as your US branch is using and selling it direct on your web store? I would happily put down and pay a preorder upfront as this has been one game I have been hoping would get localized since it was announced. I truly adore Nier, which might I add, you brought over physically for both PS3 and XB360! Nier has proven itself to be a cult hit with so many people calling it their game of the generation – it is certainly one of my favourite games of all time.

Take a chance, please.
Let me put my copy of Nier next to a physical copy of this.

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:19 am   44

So japanese dub and no physical release………. Do you really not want this game to sell??? The dub I can overlook, but the non physical release….. you’ve lost a sale :/

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:20 am   45

Was meant to say NO JAP DUB :/

Dark_Overlord 10 October, 2013 @ 12:21 am   46

Meant to say ‘no japanese dub’

I can live with no JP VO but disc release please.

blendercat27 10 October, 2013 @ 2:59 am   48

Looking forward to this. Am very excited to play. Because I don’t have my panties in a bunch over a disc.

thepiebox_314 10 October, 2013 @ 3:28 am   49

I’m assuming the reason we’re not getting a physical release is because Digital River doesn’t distribute to many EU countries, if at all…? I would love a EU physical copy if there was a way – trying to get a US import via Ebay would be an expensive headache!

Talking about physical releases, I kinda wish for the opposite when it comes to Nier. A digital release of Nier on PSN would be great.

Griever_Zero 10 October, 2013 @ 8:23 am   51

A physical Release please.

and get the Japanese voice pack with it aswell^^
I’m afraid the dub will be bad for this.

Else I’ve been looking forward to this like hell, so a big YAY!! for the annoncement

The only thing I want is the japanese dub. Just look at NISA, I own every Limited Edition they released for whatever the amount is they charged for because they give you the ORIGINAL japanese voice overs.

I’m happy that you want to bring over a niche title but please, please consider your niche audience. I do not care about a physical copy – just make it possible to add the original dubs and I’d be happy. I’m begging you.

I was really excited about this game, and I’ll probably buy it on day one anyway, but if you are afraid of selling it on normal retail stores, maybe you should make something like the US SE brand and sell it through SE Europe website? I’d be happy if the US SE store would send the game to europe, but it seems it’s not the case.

European collectors also have the right to buy the game phisically! I don’t care if it’s more expensive, Drakengard is one of my favorite games and I want it phisically, to be honest. I think there’s many people in the same case.

Gameguardian 10 October, 2013 @ 10:33 am   54

Nier was one of the greatest experiences this console generation, and I’m absolutely thrilled to have this released in the West.

But I agree with many previous posters, digital only will absolutely kill this game, and so many others like it, and then developers will think it doesn’t sell in that region, and they’re more likely to cancel future titles.

So many games just fall into the digital world nowadays that people are having a hard time even knowing they exist. Take the fantastic Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien – it took me quite a while to even find it on the PSN Store. I think people should have a choice whether or not they want their games physical or digital, and I’ll go physical as much as I can! So please Square Enix, release this gem in a retail version in the EU as well!!!

Awesome news, just release Drakengard 3 as physical copy and i will buy it, digital only is no go.

supersmith2500 10 October, 2013 @ 10:53 am   56

So many comments regarding the retail release. Square Enix, please do yourselves a favour and please a retail release for Europe. Digital only is not an option. SEGA already pulled that stunt before so don’t do the same to us.

Digital release only?

Like others already said before, people will import the US physical version, which will result in bad EU sales.
SE, step up your game!

Roman_234 10 October, 2013 @ 3:49 pm   58

Personally I don’t mind a digital copy, but the main reason I’m going to stick with physical copies are the ridiculous psn prices. Release it with a competitive price (i.e. at or below US street price) and all will be fine, hardcore fans can get their copy from the US. If it gets the usual crazy PSN price, I’ll evaluate the options and probably wait for a sale somewhere.

sssfffhhh5 10 October, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   59

Please release a physical disc!!!

All of us have equal treatment.

DarkBahamut87 10 October, 2013 @ 4:46 pm   60

I’d really prefer a physical release.

Is it so difficult to make a limited first print just for the collectors who want a boxed edition? It would do even if you sold it at selected retailers only or just online on your website.

I would really buy this game on D1 if there were a physical release. While if you just make a DD-only edition, I won’t be encouraged to buy it straight away. I could even buy it from the US, if possible, and I’d like to avoid that since I want to support the EU market.

mike-yazuka 10 October, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   61

A shame the game won’t get a physical release, I was very hyped for this game. Not so much now I’m afraid.
A real pity. Yes, I’ll buy and I’ll support it. But it won’t be day one purchase. Unless you decide to give us a physical version.

So I just went back and researched a bit more – this game will have many female characters and you are planning on NOT releasing it with the japanese dub?

This will be unplayable with the amount of cringe. The way female characters are written in japanese games an english voice actress is not able to convey. Nier was ok since the lead characters were male but this… this will be horrible. I’m usually not doing this but it will be a pass for me if only english is avaible.

+1 for physical release nad japanese voices.

So, can I expect dual audio? I would love to have the japanese audio too…

TheGreatSurf 11 October, 2013 @ 12:33 am   65

While I understand where European players are coming from re: the digital release, spare a thought for us Australians lol

Anyway, I’m really excited for Drakengard 3. I think it looks boss. I’m disappointed to hear that there won’t be any dual audio though, I’d like to hear it in the language of the director. It seems like our concerns are being heard though, and the release is a ways off, so things might change and we might get the Japanese language track.

If it’s technically not possible due to space concerns or something, I’m willing to be gouged for a Japanese voice pack DLC. If I have to pay full price to get the game as it was intended to be played, that’s not an issue. I’m sure there’s a number of other players that would be interested in it, too.

RexRazgriz 11 October, 2013 @ 1:29 am   66

Dual audio version and retail format for EU, please!

I’m really happy that you will release it here in Europe.But like the others said before: Please make a physical release, too.

LethalSection 11 October, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   68

Retail version and dual audio for EU!

Network-Nero 11 October, 2013 @ 3:26 pm   69

I would like Square Enix to reconsider their decision. Please release a physical copy of drakengard 3 in europe too and give the option for dual audio (japanese/english) as well.

European players can’t even decide to import this game because digital river doesn’t deliver to europe.

Just wanted to reiterate what everyone else is saying, want a physical release, even if we have to order from a specific Square Enix website.

sush1face 11 October, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   71

Hm, no physical release, only english and french subtitles, no dual audio. It’s too bad but i will definitely not buy the game.

greetings from a german fan

Zagubiony 13 October, 2013 @ 11:17 am   72

Hey, everything is nice, but why citizens of Europe will have to buy Drakengard 3 only on Playstation Store? :/ This game should be released also on BD!

Copy pasting this from the blog, just to insure someone sees it.

So both on the European Square blog, and here Lee mentioned that while there currently isn’t plans for a European retail release and also no current plans to include the original voice track, anything could change. I read on Siliconera that the producer for the game stated that including the original voices is being highly considered because of the many users asking for it, but Sony puts size limitations on games which also has to be considered. If you guys are considering putting in the Japanese audio but are having issues due to size, perhaps I could suggest taking a look at how Dynasty Warriors 8 handled that issue? While the Japanese voices were not included in the base release of the game, they were released as a free downloadable for anyone who wanted to use them, so everyone won. Tecmo Koei won because they lowered the size of the base game potentially for Sony and for those who don’t care about dual-audio, and those that did want dual audio also won because they could download and enjoy those voices as well.

Lord_Gremlin 14 October, 2013 @ 11:39 am   74

I loved Nier so much…
Anyway, while I can trust Square Enix to make this one available in my region, I’m not really sold on digital format. Plus no Japanese voice acting… Not a deal-breaker but still. Seeing as my Japanese is slowly improving I might just import a Japanese copy. At this point it seems like a plain better deal. Plus censorship is a concern. Would you comment on that, please?
Oh, and if you don’t plan to censor anything, please consider Collectors Edition. These things are highly profitable, are they not?

Raiden_FOX05 17 October, 2013 @ 7:57 pm   75

Square enix macht echt nur noch Mist….ihre entwicklung wird immer trauriger gegenüber europa….
Erst versprechen sie deutsche Synchro bei Kingdom hearts 1.5 hd Remix…..und sie kommt nicht….dann die sache mit final fantasy 15 und kingdom hearts 3 ……..
Dann kommt dragongard 3 nicht physich sondern digital raus und denn nichtmal mit deutschen Bildschirmtexten…..
Das ist einfach nur traurig wie square enix sich einen dreck um seine europäschen fans kümmert, das war mal anders

Thanks for taking the time to respond Lee, if anything I feel rather silly about not paragraphing that explanation but oh well.

Guess that shows I should never be allowed near a keyboard after consuming copious amounts of alcohol, heh.

I wonder when companies will finally realize how much profit they actually lose in EU or NA areas with not including japanese voice acting, because a lots of people will rather import it from japan. And now they’re starting this new trend “digital release only in Europe”. I was so darn excited when i first heard they’re gonna release this game. Now….. I will either import it from japan, or stop caring about it and forget it all. *sigh*

Legendenbrecher 31 October, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   78

I think download only will kill this game for sure, and thats sad, because Drakengard 3 is a really great game with some outstanding characters.
I was happy to hear about a release in the western countrys and definately planned to buy this game, but now, releasing this title as a simply download and Without the awesome japanese voices….

Sorry to say that SquareEnix but in this form I never ever buy this game!
I hope the Drakengard Team will read these messages and think about our wishes, please guys think about it theres still some time til release.