Posted 11 October

Sci-fi horror SOMA coming to PS4, from the creators of Amnesia: The Dark Descent

awakened

Hi, I am Thomas Grip, creative director at Frictional Games, an indie studio based in Sweden. We have been crafting horror games since 2006 and are probably most famous for having created Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Previously, we have only developed for PC, but this time our new title will be released for PS4 as well!

The last three years we have been working on a game called SOMA. All of that time, this project has remained a secret and it is a great relief to finally be able to talk about it. The game is by far the most ambitious and thrilling project we have ever undertaken.

So what exactly is SOMA? Briefly stated it is a sci-fi horror game played from a first person perspective. You are not a space marine though, but a normal, and very exposed, person trapped in a nightmarish world. SOMA is a game about exploration, survival and immersing you inside an interactive narrative.

the_walls_live

That short description does not really do the game justice though. In order to properly explain why I am so excited we need to dig a little bit deeper.

In all of our previous games the setting and themes have been by-products. We started with the core gameplay and then created high level aspects that fit with that. While a lot of good can come from this approach, it makes it very hard to approach tougher subjects.

SOMA is meant to be a proper sci-fi game, and to get that right we couldn’t let the themes be an afterthought. My favorite works of sci-fi are the ones that use fantastic worlds to probe important issues in a way that down-to-earth settings just cannot. Great sci-fi authors like Asimov, Dick and Heinlein all do this. We want to give SOMA this quality as well.

The subject that SOMA will discuss is consciousness. Personally, I find it the most profound questions that it is possible to ask. “How can the feeling of subjective experience arise from a chunk of flesh?” Exploring this further takes us to questions such as “Can machines be conscious?” and “Do we have free will?” It quickly gets very disturbing and is ideal for a futuristic horror setting. It is the kind of sci-fi that we want to make.

From the start, we knew that this could not just come through background story or dialog. We want you to PLAY through this. It must be an integral part of the gameplay and not just fluff.

Part of this comes through the game’s monsters. You will encounter a number of strange creatures, each an embodiment of an aspect of our themes. In order to survive the journey, you need to understand how they work and in the process take on extremely unsettling subjects.

chamber

Our goal is for SOMA to not just be another carnival ride of cheap scares. It is meant to chill you at the core and confront you with questions about your very existence.

To track the development more closely, follow us on Twitter or check our blog. A lot more strange things will emerge before our 2015 release.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

17 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

I like where this is going..

I love the theme of the game, and I love the fact that there are now already more announced true horror games for the PS4 then were released on the PS3.

Wow, this looks like it could be a lot of fun. Cant wait to see more.

btw, have you ever considered bringing Amnesia to PS devices?

Thomas Grip 11 October, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Glad you like it!

Amnesia for PS4 is not impossible ;) We are looking into it. Cannot promise anything though.

‘Amnesia: The Dark Descent’ was an incredible constipation aid. Probably all I can get away with saying on the PS Blog comments! :P

I am eagerly anticipating this.

declan__watson 11 October, 2013 @ 3:38 pm   4

Hey Thomas :)
Great game, I cannot wait to play this on PlayStation 4. ;)
Indie horror games are amazing, i’m getting this game and I also am getting Outlast from the guys over at Red Barrel Games and I was scared of that. :)
Amazing work guys. ;)

Day one.

Also media blackout beginning in 3,2,1 see you in 2015 :)

Man that is creepy, I love it!!! :)

I am on board and will get it day one

I salute you sir :D

MazzingerZ 11 October, 2013 @ 4:43 pm   8

Kanon! Mer sådana spel behövs idag! Ser fram emot! Trevlig helg! :)

Rythenarutoninja 11 October, 2013 @ 4:58 pm   9

This game looks amazing. I love the atmosphere it has. Really glad its coming to PS4, another great indie game to add to the ever growing list.

@Thomas Grip

Please release Amnesia The Dark Descent and Amnesia A Machine for Pigs on PS4 with updated graphics, maybe in a bundle or something. This is only getting released in 2015 and i would love to play the 2 amnesia games before this. The 3 platinum trophies would look great.

Lethal_Doze 11 October, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   11

So is this download only, or maybe there is a chance for a disc release??? Maybe you could release special disc version with Amnesia on it too, please please plase :-)

Thomas Grip 11 October, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

Most likely download only for PS4. Retail is not doing very well for smaller games these days.

I loved the two Amnesia titles and applaud you and the team for taking the risk with having The Chinese Room develop the second game. It certainly paid off and was a very unique exploration of horror I’ve not come across in gaming before. What makes this announcement so brilliant for me is that after I completed A Machine for Pigs, I was left craving a first person horror game using a bio-mechanical setting inspired by H.R.Giger. I was confused no team had attempted this setting before as it has the potential to be viscerally absolutely horrific.

Hearing you also describe your cerebral desire for the game only has me more excited. I think we’ve lost touch with the great days of 60′s science fiction, where big ideas were explored and assumptions played with. Needless to say, an exploration of such themes in my ideal horrific setting has me incredibly interested. Thank you for taking the bold step of creating such an experience.

Thomas Grip 11 October, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Great to hear you like our approach.This gives us good kind of pressure to deliver it all in the final game!

seldinhio 11 October, 2013 @ 6:04 pm   13

Omg nice. Wow the PS4 keeps gaining steam. Will definitely get this game. We need more horror games.

CreditDue 12 October, 2013 @ 2:26 pm   14

Looks and sounds fantastic. Day 1 purchase

Seishoujyo 12 October, 2013 @ 3:46 pm   15

You already have my money guys, this and Daylight and Outlast (and bring Amnesia on PS4 too). I hope you will bring some cool trophies too (something like “finish the game without being killed”) and a plat of course.

I love your style and I m glad this one is sci fi because I love it, always wanted a survival horror on the moon like Appolo 18 or Nebula Echo Night, well even if Soma’s not on the moon it’s still sci fi.

The video starts with the text that this game was made by the makers of Amnesia but I never played that game so it doesn’t say anything to me although judging from the comments above it’s excellent and I should play it but I don’t use my PC for gaming.
So… please, please, please add Amnesia to your games for release on the PS4.

flappersack 13 October, 2013 @ 8:40 am   17

Awesome. Loved Dark Descent. Will be getting this as soon as it goes live!