Posted 14 October

Valhalla Knights 3 release date revealed for PS Vita

Valhalla Knights 3 - PSB #2 Multiplayer

The first thing you learn in this industry is how hard everyone works. Whether the project is a $100 million blockbuster or a smaller niche title, dozens of people across many different teams – programmers, artists, designers, composers, writers, testers, producers, marketers, and more – spend months if not years of their lives carrying out a thousand different tasks. Some of those tasks are wildly creative, others bureaucratic and mundane, but it takes all of them together to deliver a game into players’ hands.

On Valhalla Knights 3, I was a latecomer. I joined up in early September, when most of the hardest work had already been done. Most of my contributions have been on the bureaucratic side this time around, working with other XSEED members, the game’s developers, and our friends at Sony to get everything ready for the game’s release.

To put my work on this project in RPG terms, think of the design phase as exploration, the programming phase as combat, and my work as the part where you open up the menu and juggle stats and equipment for an hour and a half. Maybe not always as fun or exciting as the rest of the game, but you need that part set up right before you can win.

For me, the highlight of the project was the day the game was officially certified for release. I’m the guy who got to tell the developers the game was done, that we were clear to launch in Europe on 23rd October (you heard it here first!), and that all their work had finally come together. I could almost hear them cheer from across the ocean.

So what exactly have they been working on all this time? We’ve gotten a few questions about what’s in the game, and I wanted to go over them in detail here.

What’s the multiplayer like?
In the competitive online mode, your seven-character party faces off against an opposing player’s seven-character party. Each of the two players begins the match in their own “locker room,” so to speak, equipping and preparing their respective parties. Once both players enter the arena, their parties rumble until one wipes the other out.

As with the main game, each of the two players directly controls one party member at a time, shouting out orders to the rest and switching between them at will. The winning player receives arena points, which can buy new gear and goodies from the arena prize shop. Those prizes, in turn, carry over into both single player and multiplayer.

The original Japanese version of the game only featured an ad-hoc version of this mode, but the North American and European versions both include full online versions over PlayStation Network. We’ve also added leaderboards, as well as a specialised matching system that keeps track of your greatest rivals. North American players will even be able to play people in Europe, and vice versa. No co-op, unfortunately, but the competitive mode fits better with the game’s design.

How hard of a game are we talking about?
Tough, but fair. The game expects you to outfit your team with the best available equipment, keep stock of your items, and pay attention to a quest’s difficulty rating. It’ll warn you when things are about to get tough, and it won’t often try to trap you or trick you. All the same, save often, and resist the temptation to take “just one more fight” before you go back and heal up. (You can teleport back to base with a consumable Return Card, and can dash everywhere you go with a well-timed button press.)

To help keep things fair, we’ve slightly increased the XP rewards for early encounters and lowered the prices of basic healing potions. That’s to keep new players from falling into a death spiral, where they lose all but their last guy, can’t afford resurrections, and can’t survive enough fights with just the one guy to grind for the resurrection money.

What else is coming over from the Japanese version?
Most of the free additional content from the Japanese version has been packed into the game. There were a couple of licensed crossover cameos in the Japanese version, such as a costume from Fate/Stay Night, that didn’t make it across the Pacific, but the rest of the free content (including the Tight Bikini Armor, various… outfits for the hostesses, several bonus quests, and extra options for player character customisation) is there.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Why Europeans treat us so badly? PSVita sold more in Europe than North America and And we have to resign with the digital version…

Lord_Gremlin 14 October, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   2

I was about to import US version….
I’ll just ask – will it be available in Russia? You released several games in Europe, but they each had a delay in many regions, Russia included..
P.S. To anyone wondering, YES it’s an amazing game and you should buy it at launch. And yes it’s worth buying digital because it’ll have loads of DLC.

supersmith2500 14 October, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   3

@Coloso7
XSEED has no EU publisher but please be really thankful they provided us a date that early and I have to say it’s better than waiting for 3 months. Like I said, no EU publisher, no retail release.

HomessaHomem 14 October, 2013 @ 5:42 pm   4

I can`t wait!

So glad it comes to EU. It’s just really disappointing that bringing Vita games here (Japanese stuff especially) is that hard. We still haven’t got DJ Max Technika Tune and I really lost all hope. Dragon’s Crown came out last week (got it – love it). Muramasa Rebirth still hasn’t got a release date other than “this fall”. Ys: Memories of Celceta will come out in NA “this holiday”, but EU is still not mentioned. No info on Ragnarok Oddyssey ACE too.

I realise localisation job is not easy, but what confuses me is the fact that we don’t get or have to wait months for the stuff NA gets.

GoddessYurlee 14 October, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   6

What about Germany? i love 1 and 2 of this game i want this one to it better be comeing out in Germany to!

smile_taisou 14 October, 2013 @ 6:23 pm   7

Thanks for bringing this to EU, although I must say I’m really saddened by lack of physical release.

o.0 tinking 2014 = very nice to see okt.
price ?
mem size ?

Hmn, I’d rather have a physical release. Now I have to consider importing the US version.

Are you even releasing this in Scandinavia? If you’re not you should mention it here to avoid potential disappointment. It wouldn’t be the first time we got shafted in Denmark/Scandinavia, so I’m only cuatiously optimistic when I read about Japanese releases/localizations by XSEED. Perhaps you’ve learned to launch in all of Europe now? That would be great :)

i have 2 agree with most on the physical release i stopped buying digital with SCEE bad treatment off us so i won’t be buying this game unless it’s physical.

or get some european publisher 2 release it here like Ghostlight.

make the DLC region free so i can just import a physical copy that’s the only way i’ll buy this game.

As Cowbanana said, hope it’s available in Scandinavia. Also, in the future, could please announce it a bit in advance when you’ve decided to put a game out in Europe yourself (even if you don’t have a release date)? Saves us from having to run around bugging our local Japanese game publishers like Ghostlight and Rising Star in the hope that they’ll pick them up.

I really don’t understand why Europe only gets digital releases of games – was the same with Ragnarok Odyssey. I imported that as a European release seemed unlikely – and it was except in digital form.

People still like physical media – so why is it the US gets a physical release and Europe only digital?

Well if I decide to play this, it will be import, cheap, after the fact.

If you are going to insist on digital only release then supply Europe with a marketplace to sell our digital only release when we no longer want it. After all according to the laws within the EU we are by law able to sell our software.

if there was a physical version i would buy it. i barely have any more room for digital titles on mem card

supersmith2500 14 October, 2013 @ 9:57 pm   15

In case you’re wondering why there is no physical release and I’m going to say this once more. XSEED has no European publisher to publish their games for Europe.

Without a European publisher, this game cannot be released in stores meaning it will only get a digital release on PSN. Atlus doesn’t have one, Aksys dosen’t have one and XSEED doesn’t have one. If you want the physical version feel free to import.

I nvr tried any of VK games , so how deep is the story in each game ? are they connected ?

thank you xseed!
what other releases can we expect until the end of the year?
can we expect Ys: Memories of Celceta?

Wild--Waller 15 October, 2013 @ 12:01 am   18

lol, I asked just a couple of days ago XD
Great news, I really wanted it, cause I love hard games… but I already ordered the DC’s limited, so no dayone. But ehi, wait for me in December :D

Extremely disappointed there is no physical copy :(
EU treated so badly…

You don’t really need to import it will be on ebay and amazon UK in a few days!I

@supersmith2500

NIS America is also american yet they manage 2 release em all physical only reason they diden’t release psp game physical is cause psp was dying.

No physical release no buy. Vita memory card prices a joke and not setting aside space for a game other regions get as physical release.

Hope it bombs, heavily, only way you’ll get the message.

Also if not going to release something physically please stop localising games and let someone else do it who gives fans fair treatment.

Thanks for the information – but just too late as i ordered the US version yesterday. I prefer to support uk releases (even digital only) but this is the first news that there was an EU release of VK3 planned.

Please can there be more information about planned EU releases of vita games (especially rpgs) otherwise i’ll keep importing. For instance, is there plans for an EU release of Ys: Memories of Celcata?

SwingerE11 16 October, 2013 @ 3:24 am   24

Are you gonna release more good games from japan that won’t release here?
I don’t think I’ll like this game tho

blackvalk 17 October, 2013 @ 10:53 am   25

@dgnfly

You’re wrong, NIS America is just the US branch of Nippon Ichi Software (the developpers of the Disgaea series), and their job is to publish NIS games and others from smaller japanese devs. btw, I think NISA also have an european office.