Posted 4:00pm

PS4 system software update 1.50 detailed

We wanted to shed some light on system software update version 1.50 for PS4, which will arrive simultaneously with the system’s official launch next month. By updating to system software version 1.50, you’ll be able to experience a variety of new features in addition to the basic functions of PS4.

The system software update 1.50 is approximately 300 MB, and will include the following features:

• Remote Play
    Users will be able to access PS4 titles displayed on their living room TVs and play them on a PS Vita system over Wi-Fi networks by using PS4 Link (Depending on network environment or titles, remote play performance may vary outside of the home). We anticipate that most PS4 titles will be playable on the PS Vita system through Remote Play. The latest PS Vita system software version, to be released soon, will be required to use PS4 Link.
  • Second Screen
    Users can use the PS4 Link application for the PS Vita system, and PlayStation App for iPhone, iPad, and Android-based smartphones and tablets, to use these devices as second screens in supported titles. PlayStation App has the ability to enable users to interact with games with their mobiles devices. For example on The Playroom, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.
  • Record, take screenshots, and upload gameplay effortlessly
    The PS4 system provides dedicated, “always on” video encoding systems that enables seamless uploading of gameplay. Users can share their epic triumphs by simply hitting the Share button on DualShock 4, take screenshots or scan through the last 15 minutes of gameplay, tag it and return to the game – the video uploads as the user plays. At the PS4 system’s launch, users will be able to share their images and videos with friends on Facebook and screenshots with followers on Twitter, though users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Facebook and Twitter.
  • Broadcast and spectate gameplay
    The PS4 system also enhances social spectating by enabling users to broadcast their gameplay in real-time to game fans around the globe, using Ustream and Twitch live internet streaming services (users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Ustream and Twitch). There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices. These applications can be easily started up via PlayStation App, and users can also use these applications to post comments to gameplay broadcasts. Furthermore, users with PlayStation Camera can stream camera images and microphone sounds along with their live gameplay broadcast.
  • Play as you download
    This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.
  • Multi log-in
    A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.
  • Party (Voice chat)
    By using the Mono Headset bundled with the PS4 system, users will be able to chat with up to eight friends enjoying different applications or games. Furthermore, users can use Party to chat between PS4 and PS Vita systems.
  • Face recognition and voice commands
    Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4′s online manual for recognizable voice commands.
  • Background music player
    Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here (LINK: http://www.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/music-unlimited/why-music-unlimited/).
  • Online Multiplayer
    PlayStation Plus members will be able to play PS4 titles online with other players via the network. PS Plus makes it easy for members to join available online multiplayer matches in a variety of ways, including the ability to easily join a game from a live stream broadcast or Party voice chats.
  • Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
    Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.

Some features will not be available at launch, such as “suspend/resume mode” which is a feature that keeps the PS4 system in a low power state and promptly takes users back to their game. We will provide additional information about system software update version 1.50 and features available at the PS4 system’s launch, and features that will be available after launch, in the near future.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

113 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Storm-Iz-SiK 25 October, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   1

Any chance of the update being on the disc of launch games? Can’t imagine the servers holding up during launch

so all this stuff isn’t already on the console? kinda lame tbh but ah well a day 1 system update was expected

also can we not play our own music in the background and is it online Music unlimited that can do that?

Gamesgbkiller 25 October, 2013 @ 4:09 pm   3

From what I understand .. I will not have the option to save my gameplay in the HDD ?

Just uploading it ?

Thanks .. and can’t wait :)

No “suspend/resume mode” Da smeg O.O how come?

nemesisND1derboy 25 October, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   5

The post makes it sound like we can only use Music unlimited in the background while playing games, and not music stored on the HDD.

Is this correct?

pinkplaybunny 25 October, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   6

I was looking forward to suspend/resume mode, hopefully it won’t be too far behind.

andrewsqual 25 October, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   7

Wait so if somebody can get a PS4 right now, somehow, they can’t do any of these features with it? O_o

We can only play music in the background if it is Music Unlimited?
BS
Other than that i will never subscribe into such service, My country doesn’t have Music Unlimited

I dont like the idea of it always recording gameplay, surely its either going to result in slow loading due to the hard drive reading game data and writing at same time.
Or its going to wear out the hard drive allot faster than usual?

chrisboers 25 October, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   10

“Some features will not be available at launch” Somehow, this has me worried. Further, all these features that are listed in v1.50 were announced ages ago, they should have been on the system already.

That said, 300MB isn’t that big, seeing other system’s 1GB+ launch updates…

An update before the console is released? Well it’s not that bad, especially compared to the NintenFAIL of the Wii U! Haha! :p

GANTZn00b 25 October, 2013 @ 4:18 pm   12

i just hope my brand new ps4 i get wont boot up into a full screen singstar app like my ps3 does right now , everything else is a bonus :D

Looks like a good first update!

Can’t wait to get my hands on PS4.

Wouldn’t mind seeing that PS4 online manual to see what the voice commands are for the Camera! ;)

almighty-slayer 25 October, 2013 @ 4:22 pm   14

Man what a disappointment.

1) No suspend and resume. One of the things I was most interested/excited for on the system side. Probably won’t be there til the latter of 2014 knowing PS firmware.

2) We can only listen to custom soundtracks on Music Unlimited? I hope that’s a joke because that’s beyond ridiculous

3) No youtube upload, which is something even PS3 has…

Hype gone down by 1000

almighty-slayer 25 October, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   15

Also, please show us an in depth video of the UI. Like, now.

SeanScythe 25 October, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   16

Please Reply to the questions we have!

1. Music Unlimited is the only way to listen to our Music in games. True or False?

2. Recorded Gameplay is not stored to the HDD? True or False?

3. We can’t upload to youtube. True or False?

4. This update will allow recording using HDMI. True or False?

Wow, I have never seen so many complainers in my life. This is a great update and is to be expected day 1. Get over it. I am thoroughly sickened by humanity nowadays.

What about the PlayStation branded headsets? Are they going to be doorstops until next year? Really thought that would at least be patched.

Agreed Xvault.

As I mentioned, it’s an awesome day one update. Can’t expect everything to be ready straight away.

As long as it plays games, that’s all that matters first and foremost!

Everything else will drop in to place as and when ready :)

zalwelgoedgaan 25 October, 2013 @ 4:42 pm   20

- Like the Xbox 360, can we transfer games, save files and DLC to a USB stick?

- Can we listen to our own music (NOT MUSIC UNLIMITED) while playing games, just like some PS3 games allow us?

- How many accounts can be *stored* on the console itself? (not talking about simultaneous log-on) The PS3 lets you store 16, will this be the same number for the PS4?

- Can we modify notifications when a friend pops up online or when you get a trophy? Can you decide the location where the notification pops up? Hopefully it’s on the bottom of the screen, the upper-right notifications on the PS3 are annoying; they usually block a significant part of the gameplay.

- In February, Sony said we could try out games before we buy them. Does this include all the games on the store? For how long can you play them and do you need PS+ for it?

When will Music Unlimited be available in South Africa? Are there plans for this?

Wild_Guns 25 October, 2013 @ 4:44 pm   22

Would be possible to give some info on Pulse headsets support? Thanks.

Background music player

Can we play our own music without music unlimited? I don’t think music unlimited has indie cds which has been released only in comiket event (japan)
So I want to play my own music while I play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Confirm this, because this is important for me!!!

randellaUK 25 October, 2013 @ 4:49 pm   24

Multi log-in

will this allow to have family accounts on the system as in ps3 as i have family accounts from USA on my system.

Dave-The-Rave 25 October, 2013 @ 4:49 pm   25

Well this was expected, the consoles have been in full production for a long time now and they have been working on all this stuff in the meantime.

thewanderer34 25 October, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   26

So you have to connect to the internet to activate the blu ray/dvd player ??????????

I also want an update on the pulse headset situation, I own one of the older style one’s.

When are we going to get any details on official peripherals e.g. Blu ray remote. As the ps3 blu ray is apparently incompatible with the ps4.

Hello, do you know if these updates applies for Mexico or Latinamerica too?
Thanks and we are ready for our PS4 :)

Mr_Writer 25 October, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   28

For all those moaning.

If you have a pre-order cancel it if you are not happy I’m sure there are people who want one more then you if stuff like this makes you moan,

And if you don’t have a pre order than chill out most of what you want will be put in by the time you buy one.

DieSadSlash 25 October, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   29

Any chance that next PSVita system update could improve Wifi strenght? When I have two or three bars on iPhone and iPad, I have one or zero on PSVita, and in this case I (and most of PSVita users) could have serious problems using Remote Play.
Also, “most of PS4 games” means “all of PS4 games except camera and motion ones” or “games supported by devs”? Because the premises are that all PS4 games would have been playable with Remote Play since it’s a built-in feature.

Th3C0Effici3nt 25 October, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   30

Halo 3 and Reach consistently recorded your gameplay while you were playing and it didn’t slow down one bit. On this substantially more powerful hardware structure there should be zero issues either way. No worries. Plus the rest of these features are all awesome. Party chat was my main gripe with PS3, now that we have it along with the rest of these features this should be outstanding. Thanks Sony.

MaxDiehard 25 October, 2013 @ 4:56 pm   31

@mdogg91

Background recording has its own dedicated chipset. The constant recording will not impede on gameplay in any way as it’s completely independent.

twinspectre 25 October, 2013 @ 4:56 pm   32

i would like to save my gameplay videos on HDD so i can transfer my videos via Pendrive plug it in on my Pc and edit my videos with Sony Vegas
please make it happend :(
i would like to Add voice over Commentary and do cool stuff with Sony Vegas like Montage and other stuff :(
PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEND
at least a build in Editor which i can do the same thing like Sony Vegas

Any video showing the final UI?

andrewsqual 25 October, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   34

Please tell me yous are going to answer some of these questions when a few more build up. It wouldn’t be wise to do such an important blog post and not answer some questions.

@chrisboers I think I understand it. The features are there already in the system but this update will likely just unlock it. I saw a PS4 at an event in September and it had the Voice recognition features in the menu already. They obviously don’t want people to have access to these features until they release the update, no matter how early somebody gets their console. Good thinking :)

Th3C0Effici3nt 25 October, 2013 @ 5:04 pm   35

And wow, after reading ALL of the comments. This is leaps and bounds over PS3. This software is going to do amazing things, yet you complain about things that don’t even matter. You want to play music while you game? Put on your ipod/iphone or whatever you use and listen to music. Here’s a crazy idea, why don’t you use the stereo in your house to listen to music while you play? Why should the PS4 have to integrate that when it’s main job is reading games for your enjoyment. Those are not priorities. Complain about something that matters, and as I look at this list, I can’t see one thing to complain about. I would estimate these are the same people who are too cheap to pay for PS plus which would assist in making the network better. If you don’t like it go to a different platform. I’m sure you’ll love the DRM on steam.

Sounds ok. I just hope the other ‘features’ like the “suspend/resume mode” & hopefully? save your gameplay videos to YouTube come out quickly & we don’t have to wait ages for those features + i read somewhere that CD playback will be patched into the PS4 to which is cool for all those(RARE) :D CD lovers(like me) ;)
+ It’s odd that that most of those features are not in the PS4 a launch? Strange that. But if it all works then cool;)

Shepherd606 25 October, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   37

do you actually read/answer any questions?

would like to know if music unlimited is the only way to listen to music whilst gaming. and unless i can export the video recorded by the system into a PC with a proper edit suite i don’t really care about sharing my gameplay with anyone so being able to turn this off completely would be good.

btw, sharing gameplay footage directly from ps4′s to youtube would be a huge mistake as youtube will just get flooded by no scope videos….. it’s already bad enough.

adrian2481 25 October, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   38

Last minute features? Sony, what else are you holding up your sleeve?

I like being kept in the loop.

Really glad that Remote Play, Record & Broadcast gameplay are all day 1. Facial log in and voice recognition to navigate the menu’s for those who want it. cool!

PoluSanzo 25 October, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   40

what about vita update?! any news about it?

c360_mania 25 October, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   41

Sounds great, but can we also upload gameplay through PS4 to youtube with the share button?

Some good info there, just a few questions..

Will the browser be avaiable day one?

Also, does the “play and download” feature only apply to games – ie can we download the day one firmware patch in the background while playing a game or using some other features?

hi sony

i have now use your console the past 18 years now buy all my ps1 ps2 ps3 and psp and my ps4 all at day one

but what you offer me here is out of line
let me play my own music whern i play my gamers i will never pay for this Music Unlimited i do not say all thing to be free but this is worng sony your have make a good console this time the playstation 4 do not but this Down now

well what does it do then.will it be in the box without an update?
bet the update will crash or ylod the console.why do we have to do this.cant you fix all this for the 549 we pay.gee sony.thats bad

Hi Fred Dutton

I hope you are doing good and I have a small question to ask you about the voice commands.

I have tried controlling SingStar with my voice by saying “Queen” and then the game takes me to the queen tracks in the game. I am (as you can probably see by the flag besides this post) from Denmark, and “we” have a small “problem”. The problem is, that the voice commands only works if SingStar is running in English. If we play SingStar in the Danish language, then we can go to the same screen and say “Queen” all we want into the microphone, but the game does nothing.

So will the voice commands on the PS4 work in all languages settings? (Eg. if ones says “Start PlayStation Store” will the console do the command regardless of what language it is set up to run in?)

emad-E-three 25 October, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   46

Hi Fred, I’m looking to upgrade the HDD on my PS4 day 1 with SSHD but i’m only afraid if I do it I’ll lose “The Playroom” game as it comes installed on the original HDD! So can you confirm The Playroom will be available on the playstation store or not ?

What in the fudge are you selling me Sony? What can I do with the product I will get from the retail store? What it can do?

I think I can get free PS4 if I go buy one and not update it because I’m quite sure that there has been tons of advertising regarding these features and the box itself will more than likely advertise these non-existing features but what I’m not getting is the product that is advertised.
It doesn’t matter if you get those with an update since I am buying hardware that should work from the get go.
It doesn’t matter if I have internet connection, it shouldn’t be a requirment nor it shouldn’t be assumed that your customers have internet connection. I’m not buying service, I’m buying product.
I don’t buy cars or phones that require internet connection to work as advertised.

What are you selling to me?

Can someone please clarify whether or not the story regarding a 49GB minimum mandatory install for Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS4 is true?

I just want to clarify where I stand personally, that I am Sony through and through and as a consumer that is seriously considering a PS4 Mega Bundle for Christmas, I want to know and I am sure many other consumers also want clarification on this image that clearly displays a 49GB install size.

When will my Sony PS3 Bluetooth stereo head set work on the PS4?

Skookie30 25 October, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   50

about features are not on the Ps4 what ppl are saying.

the size of 300MB tells me it not to add features because the features are there in doment the 300MB patch to pull the switch to activated the features if they added features it would need more the a 300MB update.

the Ps app for IOS, Androird for Ps3, Vita & ps4 on november 22th.

Load all