Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 2:01pm

Trine 2: Complete Story is coming to PS4

Trine2CompleteStory_GoblinShaman_Screenshot

Hi everyone! This is Kai from Finnish game developer Frozenbyte. We’re the studio behind the Shadowgrounds and Trine franchises. Last week rumours started circling that we would be working on a port of Trine 2 for the PlayStation 4. Well, we’re happy to tell you that the rumours are indeed true! Trine 2: Complete Story is headed for the PlayStation 4!

Trine 2: Complete Story is a sidescrolling game of action, puzzles and platforming. You play as the Thief, the Wizard and the Knight, known as the Three Heroes, who make their way through dangers untold in a fantastical fairytale world. The game features an exciting adventure full of action, including physics-based puzzles using fire, water, gravity and magic; wicked goblins as the heroes adversaries; and a magical environment full of wonder.

Trine2CompleteStory_DwarvenCavernsPontius_Screenshot

We are self-publishing Trine 2: Complete Story on PlayStation 4 and it’s the very latest version of the game, including a total of 20 exciting levels full of adventure (that’s the main campaign plus the expansion Goblin Menace and the secret level Dwarven Caverns).

PlayStation 4 has allowed us to go all-out on the technical side, so you’ll get to enjoy the beautiful graphics in 1080p resolution at 60 fps! What’s more, the game also supports stereoscopic 3D! With 3D displays becoming more common every day, we’ve made sure Trine 2: Complete Story is a treat to play in 3D as well.

Trine2CompleteStory_Scorpion_Screenshot

We will have more information soon, but in the meantime let us know your feedback in the comments below. We are very excited about the PlayStation 4 and can’t wait for the launch. :)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Does not seem to exciting. Announce Trine 3 for PS4 and I will get intrested.

Guillemots 28 October, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   2

Fantastic news indeed! Can’t wait.
The game will be released this year?

threestepguide 28 October, 2013 @ 2:12 pm   3

I can’t imagine how even more gorgeous this game could be.

I wish you guys would release the expansion packs on PS3! I just completed the game last week and I loved it, I’d love to play the extra levels on my PS3.

Psicojacorral 28 October, 2013 @ 2:24 pm   5

Great! It is possible a discount for people that already have Trine 2 for Ps3?? That would we awesome

turbogeek421 28 October, 2013 @ 2:30 pm   6

Trine 2, the only one of my 66 platinum trophies I’ve gotten without having to finish the whole game!

Do we get this for free/discounted if we already bought Trine 2 for PS3?

flOw, Flower, etc. are going to be free for PS4/Vita if you already bought a PS3 copy.

Prem-aka-Prince 28 October, 2013 @ 2:34 pm   8

I don’t mean to start off on a negative note, but come on guys, isn’t this enough of Trine 2? Are you Trine 2 hard? (-couldn’t resist)
I get the appeal of putting your game on more powerful hardware to make it even more pretty than it already is, but you know you never released the DLC for the PS3 version so this gives me mixed emotions.

I bought Trine 1 and its DLC, fully completed the game, loved it, bought Trine 2. I was a bit disappointed you stripped down the RPG elements but that is not important. I fully completed the game in earnest, even though as you surely know the “Trine 2 Hard” platinum trophy could be easily obtained about half way through the game. I felt it needed to be fully completed to fully enjoy it and out of respect for all the hard work your team clearly put in.

But of course, I could never “Fully” complete it, because the whole product was never available on my platform of choice. I’m not criticising you for releasing paid DLC, but for never giving us the chance to buy it on our platform of choice.

Prem-aka-Prince 28 October, 2013 @ 2:34 pm   9

Maybe it was economically unsound, or technically complicated, but if it were the former (which I had assumed, after your team’s proven technical skill) then this announcement makes me more upset. Okay, I can imagine that trying to work with your publisher and distributor is more complicated on consoles, but you’re talking about releasing the same game on the same company’s next platform…

The PS4 will obviously have a smaller userbase than the PS3, no matter how well it flies off the shelves, so what makes the difference that they can get the complete version rather than us? Is it the fact you could finally self-publish?

But the amount of time you’d have put in recoding the game for the new platform… couldn’t you also have recoded the DLC to fit the PS3? Nobody’s asking for the DLC for free, so surely you could have made your profit there and kept fans happy.

Like I said, I’m sorry to comment in such a negative way. But long story short I would much rather have seen Trine 3 on the new platform so I could look forward to buying it with only the regret of not having played the DLC. Now it looks like I’d have to pay all over again if I want the complete Trine 2 experience on PlayStation.

Prem-aka-Prince 28 October, 2013 @ 2:35 pm   10

p.s. I can’t see any mention of how it will be releasing… Disc (possibly with full game download) or PSN? Maybe you’re holding this information until later… fair enough!

MajorSkilog 28 October, 2013 @ 2:40 pm   11

Cool, finally a game with stereoscopic 3D for PS4 announced. Will it be 720p30 per eye ?

HomessaHomem 28 October, 2013 @ 2:51 pm   12

Hi Kai, there`s any plans for a PS Vita version? Please, please, please!

Is your really name Kai and not Kaj?^^ Because my name is Kaj and I usually write Kai just so people will know how to pronounce it :)

FrozenbyteGames 28 October, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   14

Hi guys, Joel from Frozenbyte here (we try to get Kai here too). Thanks for the support and feedback. :) The game is awesome on PS4 and we can’t wait for the launch! It’s a digital/PSN game.

We can’t do PS3/PS4 Cross-Buy sadly due to different publishers and other stuff. :( We are looking into a discount possibility but are not sure if that’s going to be technically possible… Normal pricing should be 16.99 euros but we’ll confirm when we know the discount stuff…

As for the DLC/PS3 issues – sorry! We didn’t handle the situation as well as we should have, and there were some technical and financial issues involved too, including the fact that the Goblin Menace levels didn’t run on PS3 without big optimizations, and the developer-publisher relationship sometimes makes it even more difficult (although we are ok with ATLUS and respect them). So everything just became a bit messed up and we weren’t able to support the game as well as we wanted or should have… Sorry! :(

3D – technically 1080p/60fps even in 3D, however the actual output by the console is 1080p/30fps. This may change at some point after launch and we hope to let people enjoy 1080p/60fps even in stereo 3D. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers

FatalExpert 28 October, 2013 @ 3:59 pm   15

@Joel – what are the differences between Trine 2:the complete story running at 1080P on a PC Vs the PS4 version?

AlexAtkinUK 28 October, 2013 @ 4:09 pm   16

The problem here is that 3D is limited to 1080p/24fps due to HDMI 1.4a limitations.

Granted, I would expect the PS4 to support at LEAST HDMI 1.4b and likely HDMI 2.0, but I doubt many peoples HDTVs do.

Its great that this is future proof, but people need to realise that in most cases you will still have to play in 720p when in 3D due to your HDTVs limitations.

Finka_Karfein 28 October, 2013 @ 4:13 pm   17

A fine add to the PS4 library but it would be nice to have some exclusive content or sth to attract players. They’ve been able to play it everywhere else already.

FrozenbyteGames 28 October, 2013 @ 4:23 pm   18

Hi! Kai from Frozenbyte here as well now :) I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can.

@ HomessaHomem PS Vita version? We don’t have anything in development for Vita at the moment, and no plans yet, sorry!

@FatalExpert Differences between PC version and PS4 version? Content wise they are the same, and high-end PC’s can run at similar frame rates. The main difference would be that you can use the touch surface of the PS4 controller for things such as manipulating objects, creating boxes, aiming and so forth.

-Kai, Frozenbyte team, developers

Prem-aka-Prince 28 October, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   19

I appreciate the apology… gotta appreciate sincerity. Good luck with the release, I know you guys will work wonders with the added power of the PS4, and I hope to one day see a Trine 3! :)

Sanctanox 28 October, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   20

Great! 3D, 60 FPS and 1080p. There should be more news like that. I will definitely buy it

i will consider this when i buy my ps4, will a demo be available before the game is released?

FrozenbyteGames 28 October, 2013 @ 6:56 pm   22

Trine 2: Complete Story is a Trial & Full game, so you can download the Trial before buying the game. :)

FatalExpert 28 October, 2013 @ 8:00 pm   23

Ah, thanks Kai.

Yeah, it was hardly an ugly game on the PS3 (best in class visuals imo), my PC thumps it – triple dip game for me though.

One thing which I did find better in the PC version were the achievements. Achievements don’t define games but the 90+ which you stuck into the PC version encouraged far more messing about than the dozen or so in the PS3 version.

Doubt I’d buy it for a third time but look forward to your next title be it Trine or a new IP. :)

TehPunizher 28 October, 2013 @ 11:28 pm   24

PS4 where u can play your PS3 games but pay the full amount AGAIN!!!

Faustofausto 29 October, 2013 @ 10:49 am   25

It should come to PS Vita!

Jesse-Blue 29 October, 2013 @ 10:50 am   26

I will think about this.
I am still VERY disappointed I invested in Trine 2 on PS3 only to learn afterwards we will not get the full game/DLC.
I don’t feel like paying another 17 Euro mostly just to get the missing parts. :/
Not something I forgot yet.

FrozenbyteGames 29 October, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   27

@AlexAtkinUK You are correct, I asked around a bit more and it turns out the 3D output is 720p30 after all. The game does support 1080p60 in 3D (in fact, the game runs at 1080p60 even in 3D and the PS4 then outputs it to 720p30 due to the limitations, if I understood this correctly now). If these limitations are fixed, then the game should run at 1080p60 in 3D on hardware that supports it. So let’s hope that this would be allowed in the future and that the TV hardware starts supporting HDMI 1.4b/2.0 more!

@Jesse-Blue sorry! I hope you did enjoy the game as it was originally, though, it’s still a good game on its own right I think, even if not quite as great of an experience as it later turned out to be with Goblin Menace. But yeah we feel bad not being able to get the expansion to PS3 (/XBLA), if we had planned for it better then maybe it would have been easier (we made the levels a bit too demanding graphically and also made some technical decisions like updating the whole game on PC [2 gigabytes], forcing everybody to re-download everything, along with other minor things, and some of these hurt the chances of getting it to consoles sadly, and then there were some business issues as well). Sorry!

- Joel, Frozenbyte

FrozenbyteGames 29 October, 2013 @ 5:26 pm   28

@FatalExpert We have 50 Trophies on PS4 now. :)

Anyhow thanks for the feedback all. We’ve been happy with Trine 2 in its various incarnations and we feel that with PS4 we are able to bring the game to a new audience with major technical improvements, and of course self-publishing is great on the financial side. I’m fairly sure this is the last Trine 2 version we release. We already have new things cooking up for the future, and although they still take time (big projects!), we’re very excited and can’t wait to unleash them in 2014 or 2015. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Complete Story

Thank you for supporting 3D. I was afraid it was abandoned… And I paid more for the PS3 3DTV than I’ll pay for PS4!