Posted 10:00pm

Uncharted 3 second anniversary update and Reddit AMA

U3_DryDocks_5

It’s been two years since Uncharted 3 was released. Our community is simply amazing and we’re looking to make it stronger than ever. To that end we combed over a multitude of comments and forum posts to see what you wanted changed in the multiplayer game. We took the most highly sought changes mentioned and made them happen. The list of those changes is below and it’s an epic patch that rivals patch 1.13.

If you want to talk to us more about any of the changes please join in our Reddit AMA celebrating the Uncharted 3 two year anniversary Friday, November 1 from 10pm-11:30pm BST (find your local time here). Uncharted 3 Game Director Justin Richmond (@wildspeculation) and Lead Game Designer Robert Cogburn (@RobertCogburn) will be answering your questions.

We wanted to celebrate our two biggest changes to the multiplayer in a video. Here you go:

A new map and all our DLC maps, meaning all the multiplayer maps are now free… pretty cool, huh? We asked Lead Game Designer Robert Cogburn to shed a little insight on the making of the Dry Docks map:

Robert Cogburn: When the Dry Docks map was pitched as a single player level for Uncharted 3 the talented Game Designer Junki Saita was working on a number of setups for the level.  All these level setups were represented in a blockmesh format – this is a 3D representation of a playable space using rudimentary geometry made in Maya (the 3D program we use at Naughty Dog). We’ve shown a number of maps like this for Uncharted 3 Multiplayer via our Block Mesh Lab Maps.

Uncharted3_MapMania_YT_Thumb

One setup in particular Junki was working on showed a lot of promise for a multiplayer map so I grabbed the blockmesh and started editing it for competitive multiplayer. After some time had passed, it was determined the setup for single player would not be used and instead the single player layout you see in the final version of the game was completed.  This meant what I had done to make Dry Docks would ONLY be used for multiplayer.

Making games is very time consuming so you cut things that make sense. It made sense to not have our art team invest time in taking the multiplayer version of Dry Docks to the level of quality we adhere to at Naughty Dog – therefore the Dry Docks map was cut.

U3_DryDocks_2U3_DryDocks_4

A little less than two years passed and the map was forgotten.

With the two year anniversary for Uncharted 3 and its multiplayer, and the number of cool things we are doing for 1.18, we decided to resurrect this map and release it to our fans. It’s quite different from the original version but the changes we’ve made has made Dry Docks all the better.
We hope you enjoy it.

U3_DryDocks_1

As for the full breadth of the patch, here is the rundown of changes we made:

Maps

• All DLC maps are now available to download for free! Go to the in game store and download the Flashback Map Pack 1, 2 and Drake’s Deception Map Pack.
  • Dry Docks makes its triumphant debut and is available in all competitive playlists and custom games!

Co-op

• Old Quarter map has been added to Co-op arena mode
  • The drop rate for all co-op treasures has been increased
  • Old Quarter has been removed from the Hunter Arena playlist.

Weapons

• Hipfire accuracy has been greatly reduced on all weapons along with the angle and distance at which the auto lock engages. But Blindfire from cover has not been changed
  • Increased recoil on the M9
  • Decreased recoil on FAL-SS
  • Rate of Fire mod has been decreased on the M9, Arm Micro and KAL-7
  • The recoil of the last round fired in a G-MAL burst has been significantly reduced
  • The burst delay and recoil have been reduced on the Raffica
  • The accuracy mod on the Raffica has been slightly improved
  • The recoil has been reduced on the Tau Sniper and the weapon does not automatically scope
  • The rate of fire mod has increased effectiveness for the Tau Sniper

Gameplay

• Sprint maneuverability moderately reduced
  • Mega Bombs and Cluster Bombs can no longer be thrown back (competitive mode only)
  • The Marked Man power play now occurs when a team is up 8 kills instead of 6
  • The Exposed power play occurs when a team is up 10 kills instead of 8 and the range that player names appear has been reduced from 40 meters to 20
  • The Double Damage power play now occurs when a team is up 15 kills instead of 10 and the damage the losing team does is only x1.5 instead of x2
  • Deathmatch has been removed from Team Objective
  • Increase score limit in three-team Deathmatch from 20 to 25
  • Increase score limit of free-for-all from 15 to 20
  • Multiple steps have been added during the matchmaking process to help find games with lower ping. Wait times to find matches during off peak hours may increase

Medal Kickbacks

• The Medal Kickback Creepy Crawler now costs 12 medals and lasts for 25 seconds
  • Quick Boom now costs 12 medals and lasts for 12 seconds
  • Explosives now costs 5 medals

Boosters

• Slot 1 now has Kickback Endurance, Ammo Award, Bargain and Team Safe
  • Slot 2 now has Beast Mode, Regeneration, Explosive Expert and Explosive Shell Expert
  • Bargain paid booster cost increase from $100k to $250k
  • PING paid booster cost increase from $100k to $250k

New 3rd Buddy Boosters

• Cutter – Cutter KAL-7 – Jade Para 9 – Sugar Buddy
  • Eddie – Eddie’s AK – Jade Para 9 – Booty Buddy
  • Draza – Draza’s Dragon – jade Para 9 – Thanks Buddy
  • Flynn – Flynn’s G-MAL – Jade Para 9 – Explosive Buddy
  • Lazarevic – Lazarevic’s FAL-SS – Jade Para 9 – Stealth Buddy

Map adjustments

• Gate added to London Underground tunnel to block off dead end
  • Plunders chests have been rebalanced on Syria and Museum

A minor note: if you notice any doubling of boosters, reconfigure your loadouts. Once you un-equip and re-equip your boosters there should be no more visible doubling effect. This effect is purely aesthetic (in the UI) and has no impact on gameplay.

And there it is. This will be the final major patch to Uncharted 3 unless there’s a dire need for a future one. Our support for the game will continue via Lab updates and community events.

U3_DryDocks_3

We’re also offering up some super deep discounts on select Uncharted 3 multiplayer items. Check the in-game store and on the PlayStation Store to see what’s on sale in your region.

Enjoy the Dry Docks map, the discounts, and now having all multiplayer maps for free. Thank you for an incredible two years. We’ll see you online!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

35 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first

Have they sorted out the syncing problem yet? Would love to play but the game won’t let me :(

the discounts you mentioned will the upgrade to the full multiplayer from the f2p be discounted?

Eric Monacelli 29 October, 2013 @ 10:30 pm

Level cap unlock? Yes, that’s discounted. Check the in-game store. The extras menu in a few hours.

Great news!
Is it still impossible to earn a Platinum trophy in PS Plus version without buying a coop DLC?

Eric Monacelli 29 October, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

That’s a great question. I don’t think so. You need to get all trophies and we had some co-op ones.

dark_angel69 29 October, 2013 @ 11:07 pm   4

I got excited when I seen Uncharted but then I seen the number 3 and got sad. :( Was hoping it was going to be Uncharted 4. lol

Devil_Spooky 29 October, 2013 @ 11:16 pm   5

where are the free maps? When I go to the store it says they are unavailable and when I try to add them to the cart they still have the normal prices. Are they only gonna be free tomorrow when the store update goes up?

Eric Monacelli 29 October, 2013 @ 11:32 pm

SCEE regions update tomorrow with the usual PS Store push. It will be free then. Need to get the individual maps. Thanks.

Why has this taken 2 years, many of these were things complained about in beta and since day 1 of official release.

I stopped playing several months ago because lots of these issues were never addressed for so long, not coming back.

Just remember these for Uncharted 4.

…and no more flashback map packs please. Or a single co-op map labled as a map pack to short change season pass buyers.

“Sprint maneuverability moderately reduced”

L.O.L

it only took 2 years of everyone complaining for you to address the 1 thing that single handedly ruined U3 multiplayer! Well done :/ I might actually have checked it out again had I not sold it because you guys ignored all the complaints,… oh well, Hopefully a lesson learnt over at ND ey…

I’m tempted to switch to the F2P digital version but I’m way past level 15, will I be put all the way back to 15 if I don’t buy the upgrade or is it fine for those that own an online pass?

Great job ND. Almost brought the summer beta feeling back with this patch. Now if you would add gore to the EU TLOU MP I would love you guys again. :)

seeing this just makes me sad that MAG never got this much post-launch dev support

Wait what it has been 2 years since this great game was released? Sniff it feels like only yesterday when I got my platinum trophy for this game. I will have to try this new map out.

Alex-1124 30 October, 2013 @ 1:25 am   12

Ah ok, thanks Eric :) I had no idea such Q&A existed although admittedly I never thought of looking.

Niz_the_Kid 30 October, 2013 @ 1:45 am   13

Tremendous job, ND. Outstanding patch! :D

So can I and the many others who paid 20 bucks,quid or euros’ for the ”fortune hunters” pass now that all the maps are free?

Meant to say get a refund.

Bovrillor 30 October, 2013 @ 2:52 am   16

Paid for the season pass, didn’t get the content we were led to expect, and now it’s free anyway… that’s the last time I pre-purchase anything from ND.

That aside, great patch notes & I look forward to finally playing Dry Docks.

Well… that’s my weekend sorted then :)

Will the co-op shade survival pack be free to download soon?

bertiebigbo 30 October, 2013 @ 9:23 am   19

free map packs…. any chance you could have a word with the creators of call of duty

HanSoloChewbacca 30 October, 2013 @ 9:47 am   20

Hi,

“It’s quite different from the original version but the changes we’ve made has made Dry Docks all the better.”

should be

It’s quite different from the original version but the changes we’ve made have made Dry Docks all the better.

Is this a wind up?

Been 2 years and you finally bring out new map dlc…bit too late, traded it long ago…got bored waiting

vincent220480 30 October, 2013 @ 10:24 am   22

Sweeeeeet can’t wait to get my DLC maps playing on I’ve always played uncharted one of the best was the first thanks for listening to the fans

I would finally like to give it a shot, so, can someone summarize me what do I need to get to be able to plat this game ? (I dont need 100% of the trophies, just the platinum) Thanks for the response :)

Pebble-Beaches- 30 October, 2013 @ 4:55 pm   24

Thank you very much Naughty Dog!! This is awesome, you guys are also awesome!!

Bovrillor 30 October, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   25

For the Platinum Chasers, you will need:

Full single-player completion
Complete 1x Competitive match
Complete 1x Co-Op match

WARZARD-X 30 October, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   26

Flashback Map Pack 2 still isn’t free on European Store. Please fix this.

Feedthef1re 30 October, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   27

So, I have Uncharted 3 GOTY (BCES-01670). Does this mean I can not get this free stuff? In Uncharted 3 store is says it will work only with BCES-01175 and 01176.

Or are these maps packs already in the GOTY edition of tge game?

Is Starlight Inception Beta US only? :(

Ryusennin 30 October, 2013 @ 7:13 pm   29

What discounts? Item prices are still the same.

Hello ! .. i own the free ps plus version and the free multiplayer, if I download this DLC, can i LVL up past 15?

Ahh, the logistics of downloading this game are still fresh in my memory.

tokgubben 31 October, 2013 @ 11:01 pm   33

Does this work with the PS+ version? Couldn’t find it in the in-game store this morning…

PhilomathBret 1 November, 2013 @ 2:36 am   34

The patch notes don’t mention that the spawn locations for Museum in TDM have been changed. When I played today, I spawned in the Museum near the shotgun which never happened before. It is probably more balanced now because before, one team started near a hammer and t-bolt and the other team only got a t-bolt. Now, one team is by the hammer and the other team is by the shotgun. Also, did anybody notice that for a while a couple weeks ago, the Museum had 2 hammer spawn points instead of 1? I noticed it right away because I use Power Hunter. It was really unbalanced because 1 team would start right next to 2 hammers. Overall, this seams like a good patch. I wonder why Team Safe was moved to slot 1, though. And thanks Naughty Dog for the awesome new map. I’m loving it!!!

EddardFrohman 20 November, 2013 @ 11:00 am   35

That’s awesome! I got the platinum on the standard game and never got the dlc, time to put the game backin :)