Posted 12:00pm

Win five of the biggest PS4 titles with Music Unlimited!

New Picture (5)

To celebrate the coming of the PlayStation 4, we need you to tell us which 10 tracks YOU want to see in our Ultimate PS4 Playlist, available to listen to in-game via Music Unlimited from launch.

We’re looking for the definitive playlist to play your favourite games to, with the winning submission handpicked by the Music Unlimited editors and showcased here.

Simply list your top 10 tracks in the comments box below. What’s more, we’re giving away to the lucky winner 5 of the biggest PlayStation 4 games from launch! These are*:

killzone-shadow-fall-ps4-wallpaper-in-hd

Have you got what it takes to create the soundtrack for the most anticipated games console of all time? Remember, sign up for 30 days free here and be ready to take the music with you, whether you’re at home, online, on the go, or on your PS4. Good luck!

sony-unveils-the-playstation-4-1

*Digital download via the PlayStation Store. Competition closes 23:59 GMT 22nd November 2013. Only eligible to persons living in the UK, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Australia and New Zealand. See http://eu.playstation.com/legal/ for full terms and conditions.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

257 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

a_certain_mr 31 October, 2013 @ 12:07 pm   1

Or you could let users play their own MP3s, like they currently can on PS3, rather than removing functionality.

Then if Music Unlimited is a good service and WORTH paying for, people will do so, rathering than FORCING people in to it as the only option.

pinkplaybunny 31 October, 2013 @ 12:10 pm   2

I have a question. How does this work excatly, do you have to mute the actual game sound? Most games come with a soundtrack and voice acting, so i’m confused at how the music wouldn’t make it hard to hear whats going on in the game? ;-)

Having said that, i guess it could be cool for games like GT or other racing games as long as you could still hear the car?!

My list (Straight off my fav Music unlimited playlist):
Dimond Eyes – Shinedown
Gangnam Style – Psy
Sexy and i know it – LMFAO
Telephone – Lady Gaga feat Beyonce
You need me i don’t need you – Ed Sheeran
In for the Kill – Skream lets get ravey remix – La Roux
Duality – Slipknot
Bonkers – Dizzee Rascal
Getting Away with Murder – Papa Roach
Here to Stay – Korn

Matt Webster 6 November, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Hi pinkplaybunny. This is easy enough, simply decrease the volume of the background music of the game in settings, but keep the sound effects up. You can then open Music Unlimited and set the volume of any track you select whilst you play.

Do we tell you guys here? If so…
Here are some of my favourite songs…

1.”St. James Infirmary” Eric Burdon & The Animals 1968
2. “White Rabbit” By Jefferson Airplane
3. “God’s Gonna Cut you Down” By Johnny Cash
4. Moonlight Sonata, Beethoven
5. “Spitfire” by The Prodigy
6. “Hit the Road Jack” (Remastered) by Ray Charles
7. “Live and Let Die” by Wings
8. “Sinéad” by Within Temptation
9. “Superman” by Stereophonics
10. “Short Change Hero” by The Heavy

Bit of a crazy collection (different songs for different situations)- but these are some of my top songs I’ve listened to while playing games :)

the last of us by gustavo santolla
shut eye by stealing sheep tearawy theme
time for a change by david houdsen thomas was alone
journey theme by austin wintory
uncharted theme
sleepyhead lbp 2 theme
quacamelee theme
sly cooper theme
velocity ultra theme
and killzone shadow fall theme

I can’t help but feel cynical towards this. If it didn’t seem like a stranglehold on listening to music through the PS4, I’d actually be tempted to sign up as my Spotify subscription recently ran out. Now the in-your-face cash grab had put me off somewhat.

VirtuaLeech 31 October, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   7

I support a_certain_mr. Also Music Unlimited is still missing lots of music and can in no way replace standard MP3 playback functionality. Just bring back MP3 playback.

My 10 top PlayStation tracks have to be:

1) Eiffel 65 – My Console
Its a song all about PlayStation… Its perfect!

2) Good Blood – Discovery
Song used in the #4ThePlayers video, and has the iconic PS2 sound in it. Perfect combo

3) 24 Flowers – Burn in My Mind
Track used for at E3 during the PS3 era, gotta be done!

4) Portugal, The Man – Purple Yellow Red & Blue
Used during one of the PS4 montages… covering all bases.

5) The Prodigy – You’ll be Under my Wheels
A track purely to get you hyped up for it

6) 2 Chains ft. Wiz Khalifa – We Own It
“We own it”, cus PlayStation does own it!

7) Imagine Dragons – Radioactive
Another track for the hype

8) Jose Cancela ft. Amy Marie Beauchamp – An Entrance
PS4 is making An Entrance, up beat instrumental.

9) Sick Puppies – You’re Going Down
Used in the Tekken Movie, good for getting into the gaming mood… Also, the title and lyrics are apt for a certain rival company :P

10) Jesper Kyd – Venice Rooftops (Assassins Creed 2)
Just a good instrumental, gets you into it, and ends slowly too to contrast against the more hyped tracks.

inssomniak1138 31 October, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   9

How do you enter this competition?

LionheartRonin 31 October, 2013 @ 12:23 pm   10

Oh look, a competition – a chance to win five free games that haven’t even been released yet, cool!

I think I’ll use it as a place to moan about MP3 playback being removed…

My God, use a PC, or a smartphone, or an MP3 player, or any one of a million other options – considering it’s a next-generation console, I’ll be too busy enjoying killer games to think about MP3 support being removed.

Have a little love for audio engineers and enjoy the in-game soundtrack as it was meant to be enjoyed! :)

andrewsqual 31 October, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   11

Oh dear oh dear. Did you just do a post about “Music Unlimited on PS4″ after the 95% Comments yesterday on the FAQ post on EU and US, where fans specifically demanded to be able to play their MP3 files???
Holy mother. You really should have cancelled this post Matt.

pinkplaybunny 31 October, 2013 @ 12:29 pm   12

I’m one of the few people to post a list of songs rather than moaning and its ‘awaiting moderation’.. yes i realise that i’m now also moaning ;-)

ajv-white 31 October, 2013 @ 12:32 pm   13

1. Lose Yourself – Eminem
2. Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
3. Welcome to the Jungle – Guns N’ Roses
4. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes
5. Pump It – Black Eyed Peas
6. Jump Around – House of Pain
7. Ruff Ryders Anthem – DMX
8. Bodies – Drowning Pool
9. The Final Countdown – Europe
10. We Are the champions – Queen

Would be an awesome playlist IMHO to take you through all the highs and adrenaline that intense gaming bring you.

Serpantino 31 October, 2013 @ 12:33 pm   14

Is Sony attempting PR suicide or something? This post only further cements their blatantly obvious attempt to force PS4 users onto their completely superfluous Music Unlimited service. Posting it the very next day really shows a level of contempt for customers and all this after Sony took advantage of Microsoft’s failures and acted like they (Sony) were on the side of us gamers.

1. Michael Jackson – “Black or White”
2. Eminem – “Lose Yourself”
3. New Radicals – “You get what you give”
4. Earth Wind & Fire – “September”
5. Ellis Paul – “World ain’t slowin down”
6. Green Day – “Holiday”
7. Michael Buble – “It’s a bautiful day”
8. Bon Jovi – “It’s my life”
9. Sugar Ray – “Into yesterday”
10. Jamiroquai – “Cosmic girl”

It’s a shame that MU won’t be available in other countries like Poland but I hope SONY will bring it here too :D

1. Player One podcast
2. Weekend Confirmed podcast
3. Idle Thumbs podcast
4. Giant Bombcast
5. Gamers with Jobs
6. Playstation Beyond podcast
7. Playstation Nation podcast
8. 8-4 Play podcast

I wish I could make it to ten, but I would be lying if I said I listened to more than these 8 (usually mostly the first 5). It’s great to do so while gaming though, and I often do it on Vita.

As for the playlist, I wouldn’t want a single one. For instance, for night-gaming (which I don’t get around to much anymore) I would use 3.A.M Eternal by KLF, Insomnia by Faithless, etc. The music I’d want for Wipeout is very different from what I’d want with a good shooter.

What would be great is if Sony allowed users to create playlists and share those, per game, and rate them. So if I play Killzone, I’d see the top 10 playlists for that game, and be able to pick one. That kind of thing would be showing Sony using two of its strengths to create real added value.

(And I already pay for Music Unlimited, but am jealous of the Spotify playlist feature)

Matt Webster 6 November, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

Thanks niwrA. These are all great ideas and things we are considering. Remember you can create your own ‘Killzone Playlist’ on Music Unlimited now, listen to it as you play the game, press the Share button and then screen grab the tracks to your social feed with your friends.
    You can also currently share all your playlists on your Facebook and Twitter pages when using Music Unlimited on the web.

shortmaneighty2 31 October, 2013 @ 12:36 pm   17

The following is my ultimate PS4 soudtrack

Eminem-Till i collapse
Jay z-Star is born
Evanescence-Bring me to life
Dj fresh-Louder
Lynyrd Skynyrd-Sweet home alabama
The Eagles-Hotel California
Red hot chilli peppers-Californication
Fugees-Ready or not
Kings of leon-Only by the night
Meatloaf-Bat out of hell

These ten songs definately get me hyped for a good deathmatch or help me get my car sidewards round a bend.

Hey, everybody! Here’s my top-10 tracklist for PS4!

1) Marvin Gaye – I WANT YOU
2) Kristina Maria – LET’S PLAY
3) The Cardigans – MY FAVOURITE GAME
4) Lionel Richie – ALL NIGHT LONG
5) Red Hot Chili Peppers – DON’T FORGET ME
6) J. Cole Feat. Drake – IN THE MORNING
7) Lana Del Ray – VIDEOGAMES
8) Bon Jovi – IT’S MY LIFE
9) Keyshia Cole – YOU COMPLETE ME
10) Paul Anka – YOU ARE MY DESTINY

belmont_gr 31 October, 2013 @ 12:43 pm   19

When will Music Unlimited be available in Greece and on the other EU countries that is not available yet?

Crumptastic_86 31 October, 2013 @ 12:48 pm   20

This is my playlist for PS4…exciting about rocking up some kills on BF4 to AC/DC!

1. The Rolling Stones – Gimme Shelter
2. Amon Tobin – 4 Ton mantis
3. AC/DC – Thunderstruck
4. Kanye West – Jesus Walks
5. Jim Noir – My Patch
6. Clint Mansell – Welcome to Lunar Industries (Moon Soundtrack)
7. Foo Fighters – Everlong
8. Dropkick Murphys – Shipping up to Boston
9. Florence and the Machine (ft. Calvin Harris) – Spectrum (Say my name)
10. Harry Belafonte – Jump in the Line

StevenJamesHyde 31 October, 2013 @ 12:49 pm   21

I reckon you need two tracks per game

Knack:
My Sharona – The Knack (obviously)
Jumpin’ Jack Flash – Rolling Stones

AC4:
Nervous Breakdown – Black Flag (obviously)
Shipping Out to Boston – Dropkick Murphys

Killzone:
Kotov Syndrome – Rise Against
Mr Brightside – The Killers

CoD:
Ghost – Slash ft. Ian Astbury
Shoot the Runner – Kasabian

FIFA:
Eat My Goal – Collapsed Lung
All I Want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit – Malf Man Half Biscuit (future DLC idea for you right there, EA)

A soundtrack; in the form of a story charting the crossover between PS3 and PS4.

“The Final Countdown” – Europe
“Waiting For The End” – Linkin Park
“The Memory Remains” – Metallica
“New Born” – Muse.
“I Want You” – Savage Garden
“Here I Go Again” – Whitesnake
“Control” – Puddle of Mudd
“Here To Stay” – Korn
“Everybody Wants To Rule the World” – Tears For Fears
“We Are The Champions” – Queen

Conveniently 10 of my favourite songs. Lets do this!

My Top 10 Track list would be:

1. Bachman Turner Overdrive – You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet
2. Joe Esposito – You’re The Best Around
3. Pointer Sisters – I’m So Excited
4. D:Ream – Things Can Only Get Better
5. Lonestar – Amazed by You

To Celebrate the PS4 and then :

6. Machine Head – Locust
7. DevilDriver – Clouds Over California
8. Prong – Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck
9. Five Finger Death Punch – The Bleeding
10. Pantera – Walk

To get me in the mood for kicking butt on next-gen.

BartsBlue 31 October, 2013 @ 1:03 pm   24

“Availability of MU in EU: Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

So basically everybody else is screwed and can’t listen to any music on PS4 . Good job, Sony!”

QFTW – Quoted For The Win.

@Matt Webster

I want to cancel Music Unlimited but when I follow the instructions I can’t select anything. There is a beginning and an end date and that is it. There is no way I can select anything.
Please ensure me this “service” doesn’t get extended automatically.

pinkplaybunny 31 October, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   26

Moderator you are taking too long, there are free games at stake here! :-)

Copy and Paste.

My list (Straight off my fav Music unlimited playlist):
Dimond Eyes – Shinedown
Gangnam Style – Psy
Sexy and i know it – LMFAO
Telephone – Lady Gaga feat Beyonce
You need me i don’t need you – Ed Sheeran
In for the Kill – Skream lets get ravey remix – La Roux
Duality – Slipknot
Bonkers – Dizzee Rascal
Getting Away with Murder – Papa Roach
Here to Stay – Korn

pinkplaybunny 31 October, 2013 @ 1:06 pm   27

Oh for goodness sakes, i can’t post my list as it clearly doesn’t like one of the words in the song titles even though they are not swear words. Come on moderator!

dividsmythe 31 October, 2013 @ 1:07 pm   28

One thing I’ve noticed that the chance of buying 12 month subscription it’s no longer an option. My 12 months runs out on my birthday November 25th. So I won’t be able to try MU on Ps4.:-S

Matt Webster 6 November, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

Hi dividsmythe. We will be contacting all 12 month subscribers who are due to finish their membership this month with details of how to extend. You should receive an email shortly.

Daft Punk – Derezzed
Justice – Civilization
Deadmau5 – Strobe
Simian Mobile Disco – I Believe
Gesaffelstein – Pursuit
Mat Zo – Lucid Dream
Lange – Our Brief Time in the Sun
The Japanese Popstars – No Music
Hurts – Exile
Breakbot – Break of Dawn

My main love is for electronic music (as you can probably see!), but loads of these tracks suit gaming massively, and are part of playlists at the moment.

bowlingpro1997 31 October, 2013 @ 1:10 pm   30

My top 10 list is…

1) The last of us: main theme
2) The last of us: the path
3) Uncharted 2: main theme
4) Little big planet 2: sleepyhead
5) Ratchet and Clank, quest for booty: main theme
6) Killzone shadow fall: kotov syndrome
7) Knack: Jumpin’ Jack flash
8) Puppeteer: main theme
9) AC4: Nervous breakdown
10) Killzone shadow fall: Mr brightside

LikwidShadow 31 October, 2013 @ 1:13 pm   31

Give me the ability to listen to my own collection, hear me sony! This is a huge step backwards, i dont want this music unlimited crap!

Heres my list :

1 Sade – Smooth Operator
2 Scorpions winds of change
3 Sting – A Thousand Years
4 Sting – Desert Rose
5 Savage Garden – Truly Madly Deeply
6 Phil Collins – Another Day In Paradise
7 Rolling Stones – Paint It Black
8 Kashmir – Led Zeppelin
9 scorpions rock you like a hurricane
10 Nirvana smells like teen spirit

Here you go try and beat this :)

Lunastra78 31 October, 2013 @ 1:17 pm   33

Lunastra78s Amazing Sci-fi Soundtrack
perfect for any science fiction game – from Wipeout to Sine Mora to Mass Effect

Lazerhawk – Arrival

Lindstrom – I Feel Space

Aphex Twin – Polynomial-C

Anthony Rother – Biomechanik

Worship – BornLiveDie

Cinnamon Chasers – Luv Deluxe

Smash TV – Yellow Asteroids

Boards of Canada – In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country

Moderat – A New Error

Zombi – Spirit Animal

BigBoyBanksy 31 October, 2013 @ 1:19 pm   34

I’m guessing we can put our playlist on here so here I go:
1) All My Life by Foo Fighters
2) My Generation by The Who
3) Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
4) Can’t Hold Us by Ryan Lewis and Macklemore
5) Many of Horror by Biffy Clyro
6) All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix
7) Shoot to Thrill by AC/DC
8) What Makes A Good Man? by The Heavy
9) Otis by Jay-z and Kanye West
10) Paradise by Coldplay
I think that sounds pretty good :D

evilwitch83 31 October, 2013 @ 1:19 pm   35

I am not buying a ps4 anyway due to the ripoff game price difference between UK and US but if I was my mp3 files would make up my perfect tracklist. I have a slow broadband connection (1.5 mbps).
Oh wait…. I can’t play mp3s can I? Looks like I have yet another reason not to buy a ps4.

a-giant-hippo 31 October, 2013 @ 1:22 pm   36

>So you want to listen to your music on the PS4?

Yes actually I would like to, but you’re forcing me to pay to listen to yours instead.

Listening to music on what you claim as a multimedia platform should not be an added extra.

memortally 31 October, 2013 @ 1:27 pm   37

Let us forget lack of MP3 support on PS4 for a moment. What about Music unlimited support ? For example I’m living in istanbul we don’t have video services or even MU – we paying … load of money for just playing games, so what about that ? I get the reason behind lack of MP3 and DLNA support on PS4 THE ONLY REASON IS MONEY – you guys want to make money with services like VU & MU but sorry Sony you take millions of good steps further but one step backwards which hurts gamers or any customer who wants something that their right to have it -

memortally 31 October, 2013 @ 1:28 pm   38

IF YOU GUYS WON’T BRING MP3 AND DLNA SUPPORT IN NEAR FUTURE OR FOR GOOD HERE IS MY ADVICE

First of all any Market that sold PS4 (which my country also Turkey) SHOULD/MUST have access to MU and VU (or local alternates)

Second – From the date that PS4 release, gamers must pay for subscription service called PS + for playing online – What about making free access to Music unlimited for PS + members ? or limited access (atleast it’s solution :( )

Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait for PS4 – But Sony please don’t pretend like you guys just know how much people use the multimedia feautures of PS3 this makes you funny

PS4 DAY 1 – but hope you guys all ears the problems I just mention

9. “Pretty girls make graves” – The Smiths

10. “Black Dog” – Led Zeplin

TalllPaul 31 October, 2013 @ 1:36 pm   40

1. No Lie – 2Chainz feat Drake
2. Tush – ZZ Top
3. Hed Kandi (Original Mix) – Mr Bass ft Leilani
4. Big In Japan (Ziggy Stardust Remix) – Dragonette & Idoling! and Martin Solveig.
5. I don’t wanna dance (Radio Edit) – Alex Gaudino ft Taboo

8)poison alice copper
9)scars – papa roach
10)freak on a leash

bit of a theme :P

Yup.

My favourite and (yours!) Songlist is:

1. Bal-Sagoth – In The Raven-Haunted Forests Of Darkenhold, Where Shadows Reign And The Hues Of Sunlight Never Dance
2. Dj Quicksilver – I have A Dream
3. Manowar – Each Dawn I Die
4. Iron Maiden – Face In The Sand
5. Manowar – Fighting The World
6. Iron Maiden – For The Greater Good Of God
7. Iron Maiden – Heaven Can Wait
8. Iron Maiden – No More Lies
9. Günther – Nauhgty Boy
10. Steam – Na Na Na, Hey Hey, Kiss Him Goodbye

““Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.

Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No thanks. Cut that Music Unlimited forced onto consumer crap! Especially for that pricetag of 50 Euro a year. Has Sony gone insane? I already drop 50 Euro a year on PS+ which has forced pay to play online. That I couldn’t care less about, but another 50 Euro on top of that for custom soundtracks? So it ramps up to 100 Euro a year on subscriptions to fully enjoy my PS4? Hell no!

Patch MP3, DLNA/mediaserver support and USB HDD connection. Sony/Playstation say they offer consumer choices. Stop pushing Music Unlimited down PS4 users throats!

Matt Webster 6 November, 2013 @ 5:24 pm

We will look to bring special price offers to the PlayStation community in the coming months. Stay tuned.

I’ve decided to pick two songs that each go along with those 5 games, so 10 in total. Since they are the biggest launch titles, let’s give them the biggest tracks!

Killzone:Shadow Fall) M83 – Midnight City
Killzone:Shadow Fall) Pendulum – Granite

Both are really tech heavy, future sounding.

CoD:Ghosts) Army of Me – Bjork
CoD:Ghosts) Burn It Down – Linkin Park

Also future sounding, but with more of a “one man taking on the world” vibe, which seems to fit the feel of Ghosts.

FIFA 14) Nine Inch Nails – Copy of A
FIFA 14) Foals – My Number

What better songs to represent FIFA then the best two tracks off FIFA 14?

AC:Black Flag) Muppets Treasure Island Soundtrack – Professional Pirate
AC:Black Flag)Pirates of the Caribbean Original Soundtrack – He’s a Pirate

…..this one is pretty self-explanatory.

Knack) My Chemical Romance – Planetary [GO!]
Knack) Foster The People – Don’t Stop

Both real feel good songs, high energy, just what I think would fit with Knack.

Iltapalanyymi_ 31 October, 2013 @ 1:56 pm   45

Of course! Really hoping the PS4 gets mp3 support later. I still love the idea of using music unlimited as you play. Cant wait for PS4!

Here is my songlist:

Knife Party – ‘Sleaze’
Bob marley – no woman no cry
Wompa – Fonik
Borgore – Decisions
Blow the roof – Flux pavilion
Snoop lion – here comes the king
Feed Me – One Click Headshot
Excision – Sleepless
Aki feat. Kapten Röd – När Solen Går Ner
Infected Mushroom – Vicious Delicious

These are great songs! Especially for parties and gaming sessions!

nemo20000 5 November, 2013 @ 3:39 pm   46

Thanks to the PSPlus promotion, I subscribed to Music Unlimited for a year for very little money.

I’ve still found it to be overpriced.

Unlike YouTube, which is free, I’ve discovered no music on MU that I wanted to pay for. Large parts of my CD collection are nowhere to be found. And any music system that cannot tell the difference between John Williams (Film Score Composer) and John Williams (Classical Guitarist) is of no use to me.

I will not be subscribing to Music VeryLimited again, but I’m not buying a PS4 either… not until it rips CDs and plays MP3 and WMA like its predecessor.

As so many users have already pointed out: Sony, you have got this wrong.

Ice-Ossan 5 November, 2013 @ 3:43 pm   47

Here’s my playlist.

1. Peaceful Day – Pennywise
2. The Young Crazed Peeling – The Distillers
3. Time Bomb – Rancid
4. Longview – Green Day
5. Red Eyed Troll – The Muffs
6. She’s Got That Look – Guttermouth
7. Time To Remember – 1208
8. Sh*tlist – L7
9. One More Minute – Authority Zero
10. Reach For The Sky – Social Distortion

Can’t wait for the PS4, keep it up.

IIl-Ownage-III 5 November, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   48

Here’s my list

1. Eminem – survival
2. the game – my life
3. gym class hereo’s – cookie jar
4. justin timberlake – Mirrors
5. snow patrol – chasing cars
6. Linkin park – new divide
7. Tinie Tempah – Children of the Sun
8.One republic – Counting Stars
9. Connor Maynard – R U Crazy
10. Drake – Hold on, We’re going home.

here is mine

1. Ain’t No Rest For The Wicked – Cage The Elephant
2. Thrift Shop (feat. Wanz) – Macklemore
3. Get Lucky – Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams
4. Henrietta – The Fratellis
5. This Is Halloween – Marilyn Manson
6. The Good the Bad and the Ugly – Ennio Morricone
7. Get Up, Stand Up – Bob Marley & The Wailers
8. Low Rider – War (band)
9. Reven på hønsejakt – Staut