Posted 31 October

Wonderbook: Book of Potions arrives on PS3 next month

Hi everyone. After finishing Wonderbook: Book of Spells last year – the first PottermoreTM title we created for Wonderbook – and being totally absorbed in the world of Harry PotterTM there still seemed to be a wealth of experiences left to explore within the Restricted Section of the HogwartsTM library. So we are really happy to be bringing Wonderbook: Book of Potions to all you budding young witches and wizards this November.

Working again with Pottermore and J.K. Rowling, we’ve been able to explore the magical subject of Potions. From the outset we really wanted to capture the fun, mess and chaos found in science kits, while also remaining truly authentic to the world of Harry Potter – but unlike a science kit, there’s no cleaning up required!

A brand new character
I was really excited when J.K. Rowling decided to create a brand new character especially for Book of Potions. Zygmunt Budge, one of the most accomplished Potioneers ever known, was an eccentric, unstable and vengeful wizard who left Hogwarts at the age of 14 as an act of protest. After leaving Hogwarts he lived alone on the remote Hebridean island of Hermetray, where he conducted potion experiments and wrote the Book of Potions.

We had lots of fun bringing his character to life through a number of J.K. Rowling’s delightful stories.

Book of potions 1

The Book of Potions is a lot older than Miranda Goshawk’s Book of Spells, having been written around the 16th Century, which gives the book itself a very different look and feel.

A new championship
As well as the new character, J.K. Rowling also created the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship. The championship is held in an enchanted garden where students need to use their potioneering skills to overcome a number of challenging obstacles, including many fearsome fantastical beasts, while on a journey to win the elusive Golden Cauldron for Hogwarts.

Members of Pottermore.com – the free immersive and interactive website from J.K. Rowling – will also be able to link their PSN ID to their Pottermore.com account to compete as a member of their Hogwarts™ house, using their very own Pottermore wand.

The art team had a great time depicting J.K. Rowling’s enchanted garden with its array of wildlife and creatures from River Trolls to murderous Red Caps, and Sopophorous Beans to Shrivelfigs.

Book of potions 2

So what’s the game?
At the start of the game you discover the magical Book of Potions in the Hogwarts Potions dungeon, where you’re introduced to Zygmunt Budge. He is the author of the Book of Potions, but he has left a little too much of his personality within its pages, and his disembodied character acts as your guide.

Book of potions 3

The book contains a range of well-known potions (seven in total) ranging from the Cure for Boils to Felix Felicis. For Potter fans, there’s a wealth of new content to discover including reveals about the potions’ backgrounds.

Each potion has a dedicated chapter where you learn about the magical plants and creatures that provide the potions ingredients, such as the Shrivelfig plant, unicorns, Knarls and even dragons. Once students have learnt about the ingredients, they then need to prepare them for the potion.

book of potions 4

The PlayStation Move becomes a knife for chopping, a mallet for smashing or a mortar for grinding. When prepared, students can add ingredients to their cauldron, testing the concoction along the way to see what hilarious effect it has on your toad. Once successfully brewed, you must use your potion as part of the Wizarding Schools Potions Championship.

Book of potions 5

Concoctions Chapter
My favourite feature of the game has to be the Concoctions Chapter, where you get to freely experiment with all the collected ingredients found within the book. Here you get to try out your concoctions on the toad and discover hundreds of different effects. Watch out for a fire-breathing ladybird toad or one that floats and belches.

Multiplayer games
To allow you to show off your skills against your friends, a series of two player mini-games can be unlocked throughout the book. So get competing by Stunning the most Knarls and gnomes, or see who can collect the most Streeler shells.

So, now the game’s complete we look forward to the launch of Wonderbook: Book of Potions on the 15th November. Let me know what your toad looks like!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

18 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

andrewsqual 31 October, 2013 @ 2:06 pm   1

This is more like it. Glad you got rid of that Music Unlimited post. I’m very surprised that you didn’t support Wonderbook better in 2013. It took whole 6 months for Diggs and forever for this new title and Walking With Dinosaurs. Will you be bringing Wonderbook over to PS4 at some point since the Move works on PS4?
I’m sure this would be an even better selling point for Wonderbook if you confirmed this. Game looks great for kids though, there are not enough games for young kids on the current gen consoles. :)

Lunastra78 31 October, 2013 @ 2:09 pm   2

Hey what the… did that music unlimited competition just disappear?

andrewsqual 31 October, 2013 @ 2:12 pm   3

Sure looks that way.

Lunastra78 31 October, 2013 @ 2:16 pm   4

Oh… for a moment there I though I had just imagined it ;)

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2013 @ 2:33 pm   5

Now this i’m looking forward to. I loved Book of Spells.

supersmith2500 31 October, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   6

What about Walking with Dinosaurs?

Dante_Zero 31 October, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   7

Looking forward to this as was fun playing with the kids. I too am also curious about the status of Walking with Dinosaurs along with other BBC stuff that was hinted at. Also curious when Disney are bringing something to wonderbook especially since they own Marvel now so something Marvel Comic themed for Wonderbook would be awesome.

MartinB105 31 October, 2013 @ 3:09 pm   8

Well, this came out of nowhere! I hadn’t even heard of it until today.

Looks interesting, and even though I’m not really the target demographic for something like this, I did buy Book Of Spells, although I didn’t get around to actually playing it yet. My enthusiasm for this will rest on how much I enjoy Book Of Spells when I finally play it.

Does this use the same Wonderbook as before?

If so, will you offer a standard release so those who already bought the last one don’t have to buy the book with it as well?

dogwalker4000 31 October, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   10

Book of Spells was great, will definitely pick this up at some point :)

Hi Russell Harding

First I would like to say that the game looks great and I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Do you know if the game will be available through the PlayStation Store, or if it will only be available through retail?

Thank you in advance.

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   12

@Vashetti

Yes. The Wonderbook itself is just one peripheral. Like any other, it is used over a wide range of games suited to it and is not just unique to one game.

Since the music competition page was taken down, I might as well put my choices here in case I can make a late entry.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night – Dance of Pales
Final Fantasy VII – Opening ~ Bombing Mission
God of War III – Poseidon’s Wrath
Kingdom Hearts II – Passion
LittleBigPlanet 2 – Sleepy Head
Metal Gear Solid 3 – Battle in the Jungle
Metal Gear Solid 3 – Battle in the Base
Metal Slug 3 – Stage 1 ~ Blue Water Fangs (The Island of Dr. Moreau)
Shadow of the Colossus – A Violent Encounter ~Battle With the Colossus~
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception – Shootout

You’ve got to appreciate the classics ;)

God of War and Uncharted have great live soundtracks though, so I couldn’t leave them out.

YellowMage 31 October, 2013 @ 7:54 pm   14

I take it this means that Waling with Dinosaurs has been delayed, then? If it were still due on the 15th, I’m sure you’d’ve mentioned it.

Artemisthemp 31 October, 2013 @ 8:29 pm   15

#14 Walking with Dinosaur release in US on November 12, 2013, so their no reason why, Walking with Dinosaur shouldn’t release in EU on 15, 2013

MaxDiehard 31 October, 2013 @ 8:56 pm   16

@Artemisthemp

Why shouldn’t it release on the 15th?

All retail game releases come out in the UK/EU on a Friday.

looking forward to this one and Walking With Dinosaurs.

Fllysurfer 3 November, 2013 @ 11:03 am   18

I have the book of Spells on the WonderBook for my kids but moving forward I won’t invest in more stories if I can’t carry them over to PS4. some sort of clarification would be nice… anyone ?