Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00pm

Backgammon Blitz announced for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita

onfire

Hi! I’m Rob Karp. You may remember me from my role as producer at the multi award winning XDev Studio, where I worked on a number of Sony’s first party titles over the years.

Today I want to tell you about my latest venture, which is a time-limited exclusive to PlayStation. It’s called Backgammon Blitz, and is a game I’m very excited about.

Backgammon has been played for centuries by gamers young, old and ancient. It appears to be a simple game about getting your checkers around the board before your opponent, but has immense layers of depth and strategy to it.

I’m just the messenger, of course. The talented folks behind this lovely little title are VooFoo Studios. Having made a name for themselves with Hustle Kings and Pure Chess, Backgammon feels like a step onwards and upwards for the studio, taking all of their strengths (gorgeous art design, a subtle but stylish approach to UI) and none of their weaknesses (cake night every Friday) into the next generation of platforms.

Talking about awesome visuals, check out the beautiful screenshot below, taken in game!

Backgammon Blitz is launching this winter on the PS3, PS Vita, PS4! The team are so keen to whet your appetite for the world of backgammon that they’re offering a trial version of the game that’ll teach you the rules in an instant. And if you upgrade to the full game, you’ll get seamless a-sync cross platform play that’s so quick it feels like realtime multiplayer, as well as a brand new arcade mode called Blitz! With more action and more tactics needed, can you become the Blitz Master?

wood_02

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

10 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

This’ll be handy, I’ve been meaning to learn the rules of backgammon for the past 20′odd years!

MaxDiehard 7 November, 2013 @ 4:22 pm   2

You had me at VooFoo. Their graphics and rendering techniques are amazing. I’d get this just for that alone.

VitalogyPJ 7 November, 2013 @ 4:28 pm   3

Stopped reading at “Posted on 7 November by Robert Karp – Head of Mobile”.

Because such powerful console need toilet android/ios games which will probably cost x20 more than it cost on phones.

And this is why I’m agains the new “indie” thing.

Sony thinks a lot of little indies can be as good as a good 1st or 3rd party game. And this my firends is the reason the PS Vita is at what it is, which is not selling.

Robert Karp 7 November, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Funnily enough, I’m yet to launch anything on Mobile and have done over a dozen console games! Job titles can be misleading… : )

I welcome all games big or small, indie or not. As long as the price is good and the game is fun.

This game has got my interest and I’ll give the trial version a shot when it’s out.

Robert Karp 7 November, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

We hope to fulfil both of those criteria… more details on price coming soon

The Vita is saved!

chrisboers 7 November, 2013 @ 9:43 pm   6

A small word on Pure Chess. While that game boasts some of the most beautiful chesspiece sets, when it boils down to actually playing a game of chess, nothing beats the simple, top-down view on the board. Luckily, Pure Chess doesn’t only have its visuals, but is actually a good chess game too.

As for Backgammon, I feel the same applies there. I am pretty sure this game will have its visual quality, but the essence of the product will be its actual gameplay. As this is created by the same team as Pure Chess, I am very confident that this will be the case. Therefore, this is a game I will definitely look out for!

And, as often, I think this game will be ‘best on Vita’. Thanks for the good work!

Thanks for the warning. The lack of realtime MP was what really annoyed me with Pure Chess. And a-sync was anything but fast. No intention to make that mistake once more.

pearl_bunny 8 November, 2013 @ 10:27 am   8

Please make a Poker game like Full House Poker or Texas Holdem on xbox for the PS4 and Vita.

Thanks guys, really glad to hear it’s not a mobile port that will be overpriced. Hopefully the price will be reasonable as with your other games. I may well bite on this if it has a decent online package.

alexdespoina 14 November, 2013 @ 11:19 am   10

Pretty cool release ! Backgammon is very popular in Greece, maybe you should include all the variations you can, not just the plain backgammon rules. If you incorporate all the Greek variants like “Portes”, “Plakoto” and “Fevga” it would be massive. More info on those here