Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:30pm

Weekend Debate: Your defining moment of the PS3 generation

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: Many thanks for taking part this week folks – it was a fun trip down memory lane. The following posters win the Batman: Arkham Origins codes for PS3: huffytonge, phep, BluSpykz, SauloP and maybe_im_a_lion. Congratulations. Please check your PMs over at the official forums [http://community.eu.playstation.com] – we’ll deliver your voucher a little later this week.

ORIGINAL POST: Firstly, apologies for the slightly sporadic nature of Weekend Debates of late. Hopefully we’re back on track now. With PS4 racing over the horizon, it seems like a good time to look back at what’s come before.

This week, I’d like to hear about your defining moment of the PlayStation 3 generation. It could be a particular game that completely blew your mind, or a memorable couch co-op night with friends, an online encounter, your first wave of a Move controller, your first Platinum trophy, and so on.

Mine? Other than seeing The Goonies on Blu-ray for the first time? Undoubtedly the break through moment when, after hours of painful toil, Demon’s Souls‘ myriad complexities and systems finally clicked, and From Software‘s remarkable, ground-breaking creation finally sunk its fangs deep into my free time.

As ever, I’ve a reward for the five more thoughtful and/or entertaining responses: a download voucher for the wonderfully dense Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3. Check out the trailer below for a look at Warner Bros.‘ latest foray into Gotham’s criminal underbelly.

Terms and conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

206 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
badgerbiscuit 8 November, 2013 @ 5:35 pm   1

The pre-credits moment in The Last of Us. The sheer emotion and level of acting was something I didn’t think possible in a video game.

Two similar moments in The Last of Us, one near the beginning and one near the end. If you’ve played the game you probably know which points I’m talking about. :) I won’t spoil them here.

evanom2003 8 November, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   3

‘People will get 2 jobs just to get a ps3′ :-p
joking aside I would say playing Uncharted 2 for the first time and also PS+

BigBoyBanksy 8 November, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   4

For me it was great to see indie developers being able to produce games just as good or in some cases better than AAA titles. You wouldn’t see that during the PS1 and PS2 days, games such as Journey and Hotline Miami showed that you don’t need a big budget to make a game that is not only immersive but also enjoyable.
This can only get better with the indie support for PS4, greatness really does await on November 29th :D

Magicmerly 8 November, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   5

The ending of Arkham City, god I was emotional, “it’s a joke right, it’s not real, it’s the joker, he can’t be dead” watching the credits roll, then the Jokers Voice comes in singing “Only you”, fade to black……

I’d been through the emotional mill and this was just the cherry on the cake, what an ending…..

Opening the PS3 box for the first time and feeling like a big kid at Christmas. You dont tend to get those feeling when your old lol.

For me there were three: the best one was when metal gear solid was released. That completely blew mind with the story and the multiplayer. Multiplayer was one like never before and story is completely relatable to the current events or events that took place around that era. Second was the release of heavy rain, which was an iconic video game of its time with the ability to control the story and make your own way to different forms of ending. The third one was around uncharted series. Beautiful graphics the scenery the colors and the game itself. All of uncharted series have been amazing!

MaxDiehard 8 November, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   8

The defining moment for PS3 to me was being able to play my own media.

GuerillaBRO 8 November, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   9

Journey.

Surfing down through that building and other ruines.

V00D00CHARL1E 8 November, 2013 @ 5:43 pm   10

For me,the defining moment has to be online play. Coming from the ps2 days and dial up connections, online play was unheard of. I then got an Xbox 360 when released, but refused to pay for online play. My release day ps3 was the first time I actually got to pay a computer games, with other people, not in the same room. Ever since resistance fall of man, I’ve been even more addicted to gaming, offline and online

huffytonge 8 November, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   11

Trying to narrow this down will be hard but there is one moment from my PS3s life span that will always be with me.

The game Heavy Rain,

The moment when the Origami killer forces Ethan to cut his finger off.

The first time I had to do it I just sat stunned by what this game was asking me to do. Time seemed to slow down as I considered what I had to do. Save my son and lose a single finger or walk away and risk never seeing my boy again. Lost in the moment and after what felt like forever I used what was around, bit down on an old piece of wood and took a trial run with the axe I’d found. Braving the inevitable outcome I just did what I needed to do. The axe slammed down and I collapsed in pain, my inside knotted from what I’d just made a character in front of me do.

Never will I forget that moment or game.

A_Nonny_Moose 8 November, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   12

It would have to be the plane crash in Uncharted 3. Literally jaw dropping. It’s the one moment where I was genuinely surprised that what I had just played was possible on a games console.

Nolmancketnun 8 November, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   13

The most memorable moment for me was definetly playing Battlefield 3 for the first time with 2 Friends in my tiny room, so that perfect squad gameplay was just bound to be in there. Just an awesome Release Night with an awesome system and awesome friends!

This generation has been the first time I’ve really gotten into a games console so it’s really been the first time I’ve been able to pick a defining moment. While it would be easy for me to say The Last of Us was the defining game, while quite clearly the pinnacle of the technology and the storytelling, the most important moment that the PS3 has had for me comes much earlier.
Not surprisingly, it was Naughty Dog who provided this, way back in 2007 with the original Uncharted. Uncharted was, in my eyes, the very first “Next Gen” game, and raised the bar considerably over anything I’d seen before. It not only inspired 3 more incredible games from Naughty Dog, but also proved to all the other development teams and storytellers just what was possible on the PS3. It set the tone for what was to come, and in my opinion acted as a benchmark for the most successful games that were to follow. I do not believe we would see games with anywhere near the quality we do today without Uncharted starting it all off, and for that reason it is my defining moment of this generation.

Fred, year ago i was able to describe many great moments with PS3, but now only one thing comes to my mind: the date when SCEE impudently invaded our personal space in XMB with forced, undeletable, insulting Singstar thing, arrogantly followed by ignorance to constructive customer complaints.

damien14273 8 November, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   16

There have been many great moments for me on this generation like diving off that first tower in Assassins Creed or climbing up the destroyed train in Uncharted 2 but my defining moment of this generation didn’t come until a few short weeks ago. Having been a huge fan of Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls was one of my my anticipated games for this year and though it was totally different from what I expected it to be, I enjoyed it immensely. The moment which defines the generation for me was the point I realised that the characters created in this game were so believable and that I had become so attached to them that I genuinely cried for the first time ever at a video game, to explain the exact scene would be to ruin the game for others but if you have played it you probably know the scene I mean near the end. The lasting emotional impact of this scene will be with me for the rest of my life and I’m genuinely thankful to the developers for making such a wonderful game which is both the best game on the PS3 and has my defining moment of the generation, I can’t wait to see what comes next with PS4!

tired-hippo 8 November, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   17

Playing oblivion I was confused and unimpressed by wandering through the dungeons….I thought the game wasn’t for me. Then I got outside for the first time….looked around at the beautiful world around me…and realised I could go anywhere and do anything. I’d invested in the right game…and the right console.

Lunastra78 8 November, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   18

The defining moment was first leaving the Vault in Fallout 3(my first game for my brand new PS3).

Just seeing the huge expanse of barren desert and rocks, knowing I could chose freely where to go next. It was a moment that filled me with a sense of both unlimited freedom and uncertainty and dread – who knows what awaits around the next corner?!

In retrospect of course – I’ve played the game to death(Platinum) and now know every nook and cranny and giant scorpion there is to see. But that very moment when everything seems possible is one of the best feelings in gaming.

Myopic_Aardvark 8 November, 2013 @ 5:52 pm   19

Would it maybe possible to get the Knightfall pack available to us before we get a chance to win the game in Europe?

Speaking of Batman, I’d say that being able to play him and feel like the character in Arkham Asylum is a defining moment.

Or playing Ezio is Assassin’s Creed II for the first time.

The first time i got when i bought my first ps3 and the epic battles in bayonetta.

Apart from all the adventures I experienced on my PS3, my defining moment for me is when I played LBP 1 for the first time with my sister. It was a time in our lives when we weren’t really close and she had trouble in the past understanding why I love games so much. The character of Sackboy convinced her to give it a try because of its cuteness and since that very first level, she was hooked. We both loved our experiences together on the game and as a result, we grew closer to each other. Since LBP1, we played many more games and I will always remember that first moment that we really connected thanks to Sackboy and his desire to save the world!

R2A7Z9O1R 8 November, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   22

My defining moment was getting to play on Call of Duty Modern Warfare’s online multiplayer for the very first time, after having waited for 3-4 months of owning the game without having an internet connection. This was the very first time I’d played a game online and would lead me to realizing a passion for competitive online shooters. And eventually Dices Battlefield series (can’t wait for BF4 on PS4 with 64 Players!)

Naughty Dog making the most inspiring games I have ever played has to be it… from the great Uncharted 2 to the amazing The Last of Us. I loved it all.

ND truly are the greatest game developers in my opinion.

Badmansam10 8 November, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   24

Heavy Rain has the best story without a doubt, and the ending was so mind blowing as you realise so many parts of the story you play through all fit together. Best game ever!

SleepingOwns 8 November, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   25

Getting my first ever Platinum trophy – in Dark Souls, after more than 350 hours played (including the other current-gen platforms)

Such an amazing game and definitely my favourite of the generation.

Alex-1124 8 November, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   26

The soundtracks from this generation have been the defining moment for me. They have really come into their own and can heavily impact your emotions towards said game. They immerse you in the action and can make or break a game. Journey is a fantastic example of how far video game soundtracks have come, it was the first ever VGS to be nominated for a Grammy, it didn’t win but it’s a start. To think back 10-20 years ago when it was *only* made using a computer but now some games are being performed by a whole orchestra and there has even been events where you can go to a theatre and hear them live.

That is why music has defined this generation for me.

Definitely the masterpiece that was Journey. Never ever did I feel so immersed in a digital world. I was blown away by the visuals, the music, the experience. Playing it for the second time was even better. I knew what was gonna happen, so I could soak it in some more.

For me, the defining moment of the PS3 generation was the moment on June 29th, 2010 when I downloaded Wipeout HD for free.

This was not piracy, this was illegally getting hold of a game. This was the start of Playstation Plus, a simple service, which for a low price promised me new games monthly. Already well worth the price, as the years have gone on it’s blossomed into the Instant Game Collection, and covered the Vita (and soon PS4) as well as the PS3, meaning there’s always something for everyone.

I’ve been a member since Day 1, and am signed up until the end of 2015. I’ve never been a fan of downloaded games, PS+ changed that, not only because of the free ones, but because through their arcade games I was able to try games from new developers. Developers I became fond of and then bought their next games.

PS+ changed the way I gamed on my PS3, so to me, the launch of the service was my defining moment.

chrisboers 8 November, 2013 @ 6:07 pm   29

For me, the PS3 was the first ‘modern’ console I ever bought, and I have had long debates with myself on which to get. The Xbox 360, or the PS3? Both had their advantages, but the included Blu-Ray disc was what what finally won me over. And boy, did I never regret that decision! The shift from PC gaming to console, using a controller to game, and playing my games on a 42″ screen instead of a crappy 20″ monitor was all the difference in the world.
So, what was my defining moment for PS3? The very, very first time I actually hooked it up, and started it! That welcome chime is something I will never, ever forget!

Opt1mus76 8 November, 2013 @ 6:18 pm   30

CoD4:Modern Warfare
I played the odd fps here and there but never really got into them. The Timesplitters games were probably the only previous shooters that I enjoyed but could still take them or leave them. I bought CoD4:MW based purely on the review in OPM and didn’t expect much. After all, I wasn’t a shooter fan and I didn’t anticipate it looking much better than the screenshots but when I actually started playing I was amazed. This game changed my view of shooters forever.
After countless kills and deaths I got to the All Ghillied Up mission. That one mission sticks in my mind more than any other in any game I’ve ever played, and I’ve played alot. Its a masterpiece in level design and broke up the unrelenting killing with its perfectly paced stealth, atmosphere and tension. Its the game that got me enjoying fps and its the game that showed just how good fps could be on home consoles.
CoD4:MW, I salute you

dogwalker4000 8 November, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   31

For me it’s the opening to Uncharted 2.

I had played and very much enjoyed the 1st Uncharted and had high hopes for the sequel. I tried to keep away from spoilers and stories about it in the run up but let myself peak at the review scores as they came in. It was getting 9s and 10s all over the place and I was very much hyped for it.

So when it arrived I whacked it in my old phat PS3 (RIP) and played the opening scene. Nate wakes up on a train all bloody sitting up straight and other than the gun shot wound everything seems normal. Suddenly the camera angle changes and you notice that the train is hanging off a cliff. Drake unclips himself and falls to the bottom of the train and ends up just hanging onto a railing. Climbing up the train was the best PS3 experience I’ve had. It was so dramatic and tense, the way railings break and the path changes above you was awesome and added to the urgency needed to reach the top.

When I did get to the summit I put my controller down and realised that after the first 5 minutes of Uncharted 2 I knew that this was worth all the high priase that it had been given.

Nothing has topped that since.

My favourite game for this generation has to be Dark Souls. The first time following a hint left by another player and ending up dead. The many struggles to reach a boss, only to get killed within seconds. And finally, after many deaths, reaching the first bell and ringing it. Hearing it ring and knowing a player has defeated that boss still puts a smile on my face. Cant wait for DaS 2 and yes im prepared to die.

DoYouLikeMyID 8 November, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   33

I guess it would have to be when I first laid my eyes on gaming in HD. Allow me to set the scene:

When I originally got my PS3, which came bundled with Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm, I still had one of those 4:3, 360p, 20-inch TVs the size of Tamriel and Skyrim combined… Raised to the power of GTA V’s sales numbers.

Anyway, I thought the games looked amazing, even on that old dinosaur of a TV. So when I upgraded that to an HD-TV a couple of years later, and popped Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction into my PS3… My jaw dropped to the floor. The image was so clear, the colours were sprawling, and the audio was fantastic. I just couldn’t believe it.

And here we are, at the launch of PS4, and I’m practically still salivating at the thought of what Naughty Dog can do on my now 1080p TV with the PS4. Ahhhhhh…

I remember the moment more than the game. I couldn’t believe what I was playing was actually a game. I even uttered the marketing line “This is Play!”. I think it was the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. But there have been several moments since then, collecting trophies in Super Stardust, several moments in Journey and Uncharted 2. Tends to be moments of great emotion, immersion and/or achievement. Also a great moment with Sly Cooper, playing on the bus, cross save, play on ps3 in 3D, then turn vita back on to use the AR feature. I’m excited to see what PS4 can do with this kind of tech.

AshesArise 8 November, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   35

For me it was when i put Uncharted 2 in for the first time and was blown away by how nice it looked and played, also more recently that whole opening sequence in The Last Of Us followed by the epic journey i had within the game. And finally the addition of PS Plus, i have saved money and gained a whole chunk of games to my already large collection of titles.

Thanks for the memories and here is to the many more awesome years ahead with the PS4!

cycledance 8 November, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   36

Call of Duty Multiplayer. customizing the loadout. earning killstreaks. total rush in the beginning…but seriously never gets old.

Stonesthrow 8 November, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   37

Playing (COD4) in HD for the first time on my brand new (and hella expensive) 52 inch Bravia. I mean, this thing has literally turned me from hardcore PS gamer to all-around hermit crab. It’s like having my own private cinema that looks even better than the real thing. High definition has truly revolutionized visual media and gaming the way color tv did back then or how ps1 truly introduced 3D environments to console gaming.
Software-wise, MGS4. The series always had close ties with the Playstation brand up until now and that was the game who’s trailers I’d be drooling over daily, desperately trying to hold out for the ps3.. Technically and graphically astonishing Killzone (which looked better than the best looking pc shooters up to that point imo) and Uncharted (which made me a fan of the third person genre on a technical level afterall, and used to feel unresponsive to me.) Honorable mentions to the ps3 exclusives in general in fact.

My defining moments were definitely when I started playing Bethesda’s games starting with fallout 3, At first I confused on how to get money in the game but once I learned I had a amazing experience :D

After I told my mate at college I loved the game he recommended I play the Elder scrolls Oblivion as it was made by the same company. So I did and while the graphics were quite dated even back then I started to enjoy that game to. Then moved on to Skyrim & Fallout NV 2 years later with a even better experience.

I now cant wait for a Fallout 4 to arrive on the PS4, I have never liked a Game developer so much since the days when Rockstar invented the Sandbox worlds known as GTA. What makes these game series great to me is how well written they are made, how great it is to go off and explore at your own pace.
And well I could go on but its to long a list :D

Seeing the RRP go up to £60 a game

To pin it down to one moment, it would have to be watching the MGS4 into and marvelling at the seamless transition from cut scene to actual gameplay with a mere shift of camera angle.
A sublime and exquisite moment the likes of which I had never seen before in a game and actually still isn’t too be taken for granted even now.

jp08_pires 8 November, 2013 @ 6:36 pm   41

For me has playing Far Cry 3, the beautiful island setting, skinning animals, killing pirates, and and the best villain of video-game history Vaas Montenegro.

loonyspoony 8 November, 2013 @ 6:40 pm   42

This was the generation when multiplayer online came of age, it was defined by Call of Duty 4, that first time when your on a map realising those around you aren’t going to sit behind a wall and fling grenades in a predictable way until you pick them off.
They would do the weirdest things that you could not predict (normally jumping around like a lunatic). But they all moved in a way that AI just can’t do.
Then you get your first kill and realise you’ve made someone else miserable, what could be better.

GreenMekon 8 November, 2013 @ 6:43 pm   43

For me it has to be racing through the mud on motorstorm, stunning. Also the feeling of being lost after finishing tlos, I knew I had experienced something truly stunning, and was at loss to know what to play next.

Uncharted 1, the moment you get around the corner and see the sub half sticking out over the waterfall. I had an amazing time playing and when that scene came my jaw dropped to the floor, loved it and it looked stunning.

DarklingLewis 8 November, 2013 @ 6:45 pm   45

Metal Gear Solid 4, that game was outstanding in its own right but when it touched on the previous Metal Gear Solid games it took me on an emotional nostalgic journey through my playstation history. It standouts to me as my greatest journey in video game history.

I have 2 defining moments on my ps3: The first was my first platinum trophy (Bayoneta) which I worked really hard to get it and it was awesome seeing that platinum trophy pop up, so proud. I never cared much about the trophies until that day, and now im addicted on collecting trophies haha xD The second was when I decided to get PS Plus. I always wanted to subscribe but I wasn’t sure if it was worth it. As soon as I suscribed, I lost all doubts :P super happy with that decision, my only regret was not doing it earlier xD

ducky1549 8 November, 2013 @ 7:08 pm   47

For me it has to be the compelling story and gameplay of heavy rain that really ulled me to get a ps3 the whole story spanning the game as you play as several different characters with their own way of doing things to find out you also played as the bad guy too it was fantastic.

This is a tough one!
For me it would have to be seeing the Platinum trophy pop on Demon’s Souls!
I put literally 100s of hours into the game and getting the friends ring was a huge task! I had already messed it up on a couple of previous runs and I was on NG+++++ when I finally approached The Monumental (weird kid) and he handed over the ring!

Good times, I really hope we get a Demon’s Souls 2 exclusive on PS4 but am not holding my breath after Dark Souls went multiplatform..

for me it was the moment i finally woke up and realised my ps3 was more than just a bluray player.

i had had a 360 since launch and i was heavily invested in my gamerscore when the ps3 came along but i had a top of the line tv at the time and i wanted the best looking films around and decided bluray was the way to go.

my ps3 sat for months used as a bluray player and i gamed on 360, after a while i decided with so much cost investment i should get the most out of it and i bought mgs4 and heavenly sword and i was blown away by it and loved having the feel of a playstation pad back in my hands but i was still more invested in my 360 where believe it or not my game of choice was geometry wars.

tbc.

then i read an article about playstation launching the trophy system and the first game available with them was super stardust hd , being a fan of twin stick shooters i thought id give it ago and almost instantly i was blown away by the visuals and addictive nature of the game and i really liked the fact that it was the beginning of trophy support on ps3.

from that point on i would buy all my multi platform titles on ps3 and slowly start to move 100% playstation (i have over 100 titles on live and i no longer have an xbox as i never used it)

so thats my defining moment (or sequence of events depending on how you view it)

Load all