Posted 6:00pm

The PlayStation App launches next week

UPDATE: PlayStation App is now available for download on iOS and Android.

ORIGINAL POST: We previously announced that the PlayStation app would launch today, 22nd November. However, we’re still making some final tweaks to ensure the experience is butter-smooth for you ahead of the PS4 launch next Friday. The app will now launch next week, in plenty of time for the arrival of PS4 on 29th November.

This new app will help you enjoy your gaming experience anytime, anywhere, no matter how far away you are from your TV. As revealed by Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida at Tokyo Games Show back in September, we’ve added a number of new features to the app to offer a richer, more immersive mobile PlayStation experience.

Let’s go into more detail, shall we?

With the PlayStation App installed on your mobile device, you can:

• See what your friends are playing, compare your trophy collections, view your profile and track recent activity.
  • Chat with your friends. You can receive notifications, game alerts and invitations through the app, and then use your mobile device as an on-screen keyboard for the PS4.
  • Browse PlayStation Store, pick-up the latest games and add-ons, and push them to your PS4 system so they are ready to play when you get home.
  • Take advantage of second-screen features on supported games (such as The PlayRoom), offering additional game content and/or alternative control options.
  • View PlayStation guides, game manuals and, of course, PlayStation Blog.

Stay tuned to PlayStation Blog for more information!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

96 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

Coody-Baroody 22 November, 2013 @ 6:07 pm   1

@FRED

I know it’s off topic FRED so apologies but I/we got NO replies from JAWAD on the store update blog so I’m trying here.

What’s going on with the new Sound Shapes DLC mate? It’s been released to you by Queasy because they replied to my tweet n told me so. This happened last time with Sound Shapes DLC in that every other region got it but we had to wait months for it.

Can you at least acknowledge my question and maybe tell me/us if you know when we might be getting it like the rest of the world has it?

Fred Dutton 23 November, 2013 @ 9:22 am

I believe that releases next week to coincide with the PS4 launch, but I will confirm on monday morning.

I already have it?

I have the new app :) but most the features dont work yet…. Great app though!

Is there any good news for us in the uk! No only do we have to hang around for our ps4 while those in the states play but now this crumb has been taken away

WhiteBishop12 22 November, 2013 @ 6:09 pm   5

Hey,

You say it’s out next week and before the 29th.

So what day exactly?

WB12

Pfft next week I already have it.

Easy enough to get it now if you know how

Kotatsu2000 22 November, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   7

Speaking of apps, you guys have been suspiciously quiet on which TV/movie apps will be on the PS4 at launch.

I assume it will be a smaller selection than the PS3 has, but I hope you at least hit the essentials – iPlayer, LoveFilm, Netflix, Now TV, YouTube, and MUBI.

Fred Dutton 23 November, 2013 @ 9:25 am

As a few news outlets have reported, some services are already live, such as iPlayer. We’ll confirm a full list for launch day next week, probably Tuesday.

DAYDANNY666 22 November, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   8

─▄───────▄█▄───────▄─
▐█▌──▄──█████──▄──▐█▌
─█──███▄▄███▄▄███──█─
░█░░█▄█▄█▀▒▀█▄█▄█░░█░
██▄▄█▄█▄█▒▒▒█▄█▄█▄▄██

Coody-Baroody 22 November, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   9

@FRED

Pweeeeeeeez Fred? Maaaaate? Let us know when we might be getting Sound Shapes DLC? I’ll give you a cookie!
Lol

DAYDANNY666 22 November, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   10

Has anybody seen my castle!

I3loodthirsty 22 November, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   11

@fred Will the app work on my samsung galaxy tab 2?

Fred Dutton 23 November, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Sorry folks, I’ll answer specific questions about the app on monday morning when I can check my facts. Sorry to keep you waiting for answers.

Any official apology for sign-in problems? Why there isn’t any official info about password resetting? Why SCEE keeping us in the dark?

Bellerion15 22 November, 2013 @ 6:36 pm   13

Oh man… I hoped it would’ve been released today

You can have the app NOW if you have the previous Playstation app.
1- Go to the App Store
2- Click on previous purchases
3- Search Playstation app
4- Update
That’s it.

I thought you could watch broadcasts and videos on the app aswell?

theodor70941 22 November, 2013 @ 6:39 pm   16

Why can I download the app and sing into the app on PSN?

Stonesthrow 22 November, 2013 @ 6:48 pm   17

I’m going to need to get a smartphone afterall, I guess..

Scruff0324 22 November, 2013 @ 6:57 pm   18

Noooo !

I have been checking the app store constantly….It was part of the build up to launch on the 29th. It was a small crumb of consolation for having to wait an extra week whilst all those Xboxer’s got to pick up their consoles today.

I know its only a minor issue but its still a little disappointing.

fps_d0minat0r 22 November, 2013 @ 7:11 pm   19

I hope Blog share is expanded to EU as well, and its on the app.
It feels like no-one from sony even looks on there anymore.

Theres stuff thats been highly voted for years but just ignored. Sometimes you dont have to innovate, just do the basic things the fans want like upgrade a sub account to master account.

Not going to get my hopes up after the debacle of the iFruit (thanks Rockstar, a month late and runs on about 10% of Android devices), but what devices will this be compatible with?

frankmagnt 22 November, 2013 @ 7:15 pm   21

I installed it last Friday?

DoYouLikeMyID 22 November, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   22

@Podyman

Oh, good to know I wasn’t the only one. I thought my account had been hacked. Still, we need an explanation on what happened, or at least some kind of comment on the matter. Not all people may know they need to reset their passwords!

Skookie30 22 November, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   23

I don’t think it good enough Fred ppl are saying I already got it how when I went on iTunes the old app not there you pulled it without telling us so How the hell we can update the old app.

When it not there type in official playstation app you get just 2 items none of them is the app just a official playstation magazine app & gamecons app.

So you delay yet again SCEE but SCEA manage to get it on time.

Does this work on android ?

AdamBogocz 22 November, 2013 @ 7:35 pm   25

I am having it installed from Google Play since it was released in US :D

Any plans for Windows Phone 8? Guess I have to undust my old iPhone 3G atm.

krys011 i have the app but no any update option & it has been removed from App Store… i’m been waiting for very long time this App so Please tell the exact day it’s coming…

Oh I see you can make apps for the ipad but you can’t be bothered to publish videos so that ipad users can view them, unlike the us blog where every video works.

i already have this app when it was released in the eu 2 some time ago

I am CONFUSED :D Is this not out yet? I got it last week from the APP Store? I guess the European version is different then?
+ If i send a picture from my PS3(from my USA or Japan PSN account) to the APP the picture doesn’t come out on the APP?(it has just a sort of broken image picture?)

+ I just checked the APP now & the – ‘What’s New’ bit is working now ;) You can click on it & it will give you info on PS Stuff.

Anyway I CAN’T WAIT to connect my New PS4 to the APP :D

Jos on vanha playstation app niin
Päivitykset-ostetut-playstation app avaa nappia pohjassa lataa.

THE_FORCE 22 November, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   32

Guys if you want to download the iOS app now, here is a link:

You just need to connect your iPad or iPhone to your PC and use a program such as Syncios to install it on your device.

Enjoy. :)

residentSteve 22 November, 2013 @ 9:59 pm   33

It’s disappeared on the App Store on my iPhone 5 hope it fills the whole screen with this update.
Hope it works like the new smart glass that’s really fast.

THE-PLASTICA-MAN 22 November, 2013 @ 10:01 pm   34

I have a trick for you: On iOS, you can get the latest PS app, if you downlaoded the old app before, just delete it, go apple store, then bought items (or whataver it is) go to iphone section and find PlayStation App, download it again, it has the latest update in your language. Though it is only for iphone, not suited for ipads and you can’t tilt the app to go horizontally.

THE-PLASTICA-MAN 22 November, 2013 @ 10:25 pm   35

“Browse PlayStation Store, pick-up the latest games and add-ons, and push them to your PS4 system so they are ready to play when you get home.”

This just starts the web browser on iOS instead of using the app itself. Also are we going to get a well suited app for the iPads and tablets?

Will you incorporate live video stream and chat on this app and the ability to join the game (via remote play) or interact with player in concern like giving medkits, setting traps etc like it is supposed to work on PS4?
Like here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZqaYKvCAAAI4TH.jpg:large

Tonello1976 22 November, 2013 @ 10:25 pm   36

For ALL platforms please, not only android and Ipay

Blackberry for myself and windows for the others in the community….

residentSteve 22 November, 2013 @ 10:42 pm   37

I deleted the app I can no longer find it on my purchased list or any where the App Store it’s just not there, must be ios7 any whey I will download it next Friday.

residentSteve 22 November, 2013 @ 10:48 pm   38

I ment anyway an edit button would be good.

Artemisthemp 22 November, 2013 @ 11:31 pm   39

I had this app, since American launch day for PS4.

The app update for me last week, pretty useless right now without ps4, can’t even read the blog now as promised so hopefully it’s better next week.

Any word on when Knack’s Quest is coming to Android? Hopefully that will be available next week before launch.

When can we expect a iPad optimized version?

Using iPhone apps on iPad is pretty useless :(

What about Middle East Fred?

What about windows 8, my surface?

@CaEsAr-

I hope it will… It would be just cruel if it’s not :(

THE_FORCE 23 November, 2013 @ 9:02 am   45

@39 BeanDK the app runs at 640 x 960 px on the iPad, and it looks pretty sweet.

Install it and see for yourself.

Messaging is sooooo much easier on the iPad version.

Seems the app works on BlackBerry Z10 : just put the APK on the Z10 with OS 10.2.1.1055.

Please look into the quality of the translations. Eg. the danish translation is very bad.

Eg. you translated “Store” to “Gem”, which means save on danish. The correct translation would have been “Butik”.

@ Fred

Will I be able to “buy” the PS4 Plus content so I can access it if I won’t be able to get my PS4 this year (hopefully something not happening but just in case).

For you people who already have the (American version) of the app, you cannot really complain about the functions/translations before our app here in Europe is released.

Though I’ll agree that they are sure taking their time, and even though ps4 is yet to release in our territory, the Europe team is gonna do what they always do, take their time.(sorry guys but it’s true)

Smoutefretter_BE 23 November, 2013 @ 10:57 am   50

looking forward to the PlayStation app.
Now you can finally do some great stuff with the app as supposed to the old PS app.

Let’s hope it runs smooth and fast!

Load all