Posted 2:16pm

Minecraft is coming to PS3 this week

PS3_Screenshots006

Season’s greetings! Owen from Mojang here. I have some exciting info that you might be interested in. It’s about Minecraft – a game that’s sold over 30 million copies to date.

Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks. At first, you’ll probably build simple structures to protect against nocturnal monsters. Later on, you might work with your friends to create wonderful, imaginative things.

PS3_Screenshots004PS3_Screenshots008

It can also be about adventuring or watching the sun rise over a blocky ocean. It’s pretty. Brave players battle terrible things in The Nether – which is more scary that pretty. You can also visit a land of mushrooms if that sounds more like your cup of tea.

Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition will be available to download from PlayStation Store from this Wednesday, 18th December. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition and Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition are also being developed but we don’t have release dates yet. Expect more news in the New Year.

I’ve received a few questions concerning the PlayStation 3 edition over the past few months, so let’s clear them up before I get thrown off the blog…

PS3_Screenshots001PS3_Screenshots005

Does Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition feature everything from the other versions of Minecraft?
Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition comes with everything present in other console versions. They’re pretty-much identical to play, and will be developed in tandem from now on.

Will Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition feature DLC texture packs and skins?
Downloadable skins and texture packs will be available from PlayStation Store soon after release.

Will there be Sony-specific content?
Sony-specific skins and texture packs would be cool! Fingers crossed, eh?

Will Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition feature Remote Play/compatibility with the Vita/PS4 editions?
We don’t know yet, sorry. We’ll let you know as soon as we do.

Does Herobrine feature in Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition?
Probably not.

That’s it for now! I’ll do my best to answer any more queries you have below!

Merry Christmas/Nadolig Llawen everyone!

Owen – @bopogamel.

PS3_Screenshots002

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

164 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

diogommill 16 December, 2013 @ 2:22 pm   1

Is there any word on the pricing? Should we expect cross-buy with the Vita version.
I really want this game but if there isn’t cross-buy i’ll wait for the Vita version.

Price?

BigBoyBanksy 16 December, 2013 @ 2:25 pm   3

Yeah I want Minecraft on PS4 and Vita, if it’s cross buy then I’ll buy the PS3 version on Wednesday so I don’t have to wait to play that blocky goodness and get the other two version when they are released. Good job you guys by the way I know you have a lot on your plate

Excellent news.

Any ETA for the PS4 version?

RagingAvatar 16 December, 2013 @ 2:29 pm   5

When Minecraft Vita comes out, I’ll jump in.
Needs cross-play with the other versions though imo.

So if I buy the PS3 version, do I have to buy the PS4 version separately? or is it ‘cross buy’?

Owen Hill 16 December, 2013 @ 3:03 pm

We can’t talk about that kind of thing yet, sorry. More info as soon as we can. :)

Cross Buy? I really don’t care about the PS3 version but if it’s cross buy then I might aswell buy it now so I can download it when it gets available on psvita and PS4.

It is great news that at least one version of the game is releasing for PlayStation platforms this side of Christmas, but is there any updated information on the Vita and PS4 versions and will there be any cross-save, cross-play and/or cross-buy features between the Vita, PS3 and PS4?

Hexahedronaut 16 December, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   9

Hey guys 3 questions if you could answer please.

What version is the PS3 minecraft?
What version is the PS4 minecraft?
PS3/PS4 crossbuy?

Howard_Moon 16 December, 2013 @ 2:41 pm   10

Cross-play and cross-buy and it’s instant purchase but otherwise there’s no reason to get the console version over the superior PC edition. I’m actually quite surprised you’re labeling it the ‘console’ version since I was sure the PS4 would have the full version of the game rather than the limited console version but even so I’d buy it if I could share a world between my Vita, PS4 and with friends online.

ExtremeGamer1995 16 December, 2013 @ 2:41 pm   11

Is it cross-buy and how much does it cost?

What about Cross-buy and pricing?

If there is no cross-buy, I’ll just wait for the PS4 version…

grimbarian 16 December, 2013 @ 2:46 pm   13

It really baffles me when (with a release date this close) a developer comes onto the blog to promote their product and then doesn’t disclose a price. Huh? Surely that’s question numero uno?

PHEEliNUX 16 December, 2013 @ 2:48 pm   14

Unless it is on PC, It is crap to me, Especially if it is like the 360 version where it is very limited
Still gonna check it out anyway
Would it support Kb/M? If there are any PS3 games that does…

Will hold off for more news on the PS4/vita versions. Ideally I’d love the PS4 version to be able to play on PC servers but I expect that is unlikely.

Alternatively it’d be great if the PS4 version could play alongside PS3/vita versions. Difficult to justify buying the PS3 version if the devs don’t even know that yet.

vonhammer 16 December, 2013 @ 2:51 pm   16

Wont be buying this. I would consider the PS4 version if it’s the full PC version otherwise I’ll also skip that version.

So digital only? not disc?

I know you said you can’t talk about it, but I just wanted to suggest for the PS3/PS4 and Vita, it would be nice for compatibility between them.

For example, my friend could be using the TV with the PS4 version, and I could be playing on the Vita, and we could be running around in the same world but on different screens.

I hope you can manage to include cross-buy too :)

andrewsqual 16 December, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   19

Hi Owen, surely if it is being released in the next 48 hours you have the price of it? What is it?

PHEEliNUX 16 December, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   20

I’m also surprised the Vita can handle this
Any way, So no Kb+M support? This is gonna be tough

Will it have server included so I will be able to play with PSN friends?

Will game saves be transferable between the 3 platforms

I really, really want the PS4 version of this. However, if the PS3 version was Cross-buy with PS4 I’d definitely buy this day one – even if my saved worlds wouldn’t transfer across. Otherwise I’ll wait for the PS4 release.

I already own this on the Xbox 360, and love the way it plays, but I only game on PS3/PS4 now, so will be happy to buy again.

You_Better_Hide 16 December, 2013 @ 3:18 pm   24

Multiplayer? Also, the vita version is not the ‘pocket edition’ is it? Cause if it is, well I will pass then on Vita. How does MP work, can we play with our buddies?

Owen Hill 16 December, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

It supports up to four players in split-screen, and eight online. Of course you can play with your buddies. :D

You_Better_Hide 16 December, 2013 @ 3:21 pm   25

Also we need cross buy and cross save. If no cross buy / save and so long as the vita is not the pocket edition I will buy on vita. If cross save and cross buy, well ill get it on all devices.

Serpantino 16 December, 2013 @ 3:21 pm   26

Holding out for the Vita version. It’d make a great Christmas present *hint*. Already own it on Xbox 360 so don’t need 2 home console versions.

Alex-1124 16 December, 2013 @ 3:22 pm   27

Please tell me this has a full trophy list including a platinum :P. I was slightly disappointed by the Achievements especially in a game where there’s so much to do.

renaultmilton 16 December, 2013 @ 3:23 pm   28

Can i livestream With my PS4? (Minecraft: PS4 edition)

This Is Going To Be Epic!!!!!!

TeddyBearTwinkle 16 December, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   30

i might buy this game Owen Hill but i once tryed it on pc and all i could make is 2 blocks i hope this game has a turorial and will be easy

You_Better_Hide 16 December, 2013 @ 3:30 pm   31

Trophies? Platinum one hopes for.

Sprattakus 16 December, 2013 @ 3:33 pm   32

How about servers? How will that work out cost-wise?

There has to be remote play for the PS4 version, no??? Thought every PS4 game has to have that feature, well i hope so :Do

Here’s hoping it is Cross buy with the Vita, spending £15 for the ps3 one to find out you have to pay double the price to play it on the go would be kinda bad

You_Better_Hide 16 December, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   35

@33 you are correct sir. Sony stated all PS4 games will have remote play support.

@32 server wise, they might be hosted servers. You might have to host the game, that is how PS3 always operated with majority of multiplayer games. Its PS4 where you are required to join + to cover hosting of servers etc etc

amberswood 16 December, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   36

can you tell us what size the download is gonna be.

You_Better_Hide 16 December, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   37

Awesome, so has Plat. Now do all the versions share the same list, or they all have their own list? Well if cross save they are shared. So I guess I kinda answered that myself :)

FamasFTW35 16 December, 2013 @ 3:55 pm   38

What date, is Ireland getting it :):):):):)

Owen will there by a trial for us to try out at all?

Thunderlizzard 16 December, 2013 @ 4:13 pm   40

Yet another mention about Cross-buy.

I don’t really have any interest in the PS3 version when I have a Vita and PS4 ready to go …BUT… if it’s definitely going to be Crossbuy then I’ll pick up the PS3 version on release day.

I dare say I’m not the only one thinking this.

rainbowstar209 16 December, 2013 @ 4:18 pm   41

Thanks Mojang, you are going to make my son very happy. We have this on PC and Xbox but very soon our PS3. We have both the Beginners guide and the red stone books too.

He also has the Steve character with pick axe and coal block, which he takes bed with him every night.

He just cant get enough of if, He tells everyone that will listen about the game.

Thanks so very much, Christmas as come early for my 7 year old son.

SwingerE11 16 December, 2013 @ 4:20 pm   42

I’ve been waiting for this
Is there a vita version as well?

Crrrrreeeeeaaaaate mmmmmoooode? :l

Thank you so much!
If it will be cross-buy with vita version and cross-play then I woul be even happier :D
Will the vita version be out sooner then the ps4 version?

So, we don’t get it in the german ps Store? WHY? Please tell me why?!

JadoreSox 16 December, 2013 @ 4:43 pm   46

Nice work, I know someone that will be happy to get this for Christmas. Personally I’ll be waiting for the Vita/PS4 versions but I love the game having put a lot of time into the PC version.

TehPunizher 16 December, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   47

well done you only what? 2 years later :P

i still think this is best played on a PC, but its nice for the ones that cant afford or have a PC :)

Devils_Demon 16 December, 2013 @ 4:57 pm   48

Still, to this day, I will never see the appeal of this game. Am I the only one who really just doesn’t get what all the fuss is about for this game?

bigjosh1986 16 December, 2013 @ 5:00 pm   49

Please have cross platform buy for ps3+ps4+vita version’s please that would be great.

psychox2008 16 December, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   50

Sony wher the hell is the Marvel VS Capcom last chance sale???

Load all