Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

Mojang’s top tips for getting started in Minecraft on PS3

Lead image Minecraft_BOXART_PS3_Banner

Hi again guys, Owen from Mojang here. Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition was released a few days ago, and we thought it would be nice to get some tips from the developers to help you learn the basics.

I asked around the office and gathered these for you. Hope they help!

1. Never dig straight down! It’s a lot harder to get back to the surface, and you might end up dropping into lava. Lava is uncomfortably hot.
  2. Never dig straight up! You might end up with a head full of sand, gravel, or the melty hot stuff we mentioned earlier.
  3. If you come to a junction while mining, and one of the routes leads upwards, take that one. Explore the safe options first, and then go adventuring deep underground.
  4. Always watch your back in dark places! There might be something scary behind you… waaah!
  5. Make sure you bring torches. Place them first, then collect the resources later.
  6. Tools are great! Use them and upgrade when you get the chance.
  7. Mean things come out at night. It’s probably wise to build yourself a shelter before it gets dark.
  8. Don’t forget to bring food with you when exploring. There’s nothing worse than going hungry.
  9. Iron armour gives great protection and isn’t too tricky to craft.
  10. Don’t look directly at the bugs – that one’s from 4J Studios. :)

Share your top tips below, and have a great festive season! Oh, and don’t forget to see your family/friends between Minecraft sessions. ;)

PS3_Screenshots001

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Silentscream128 20 December, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   1

So happy that Minecraft is finally on Playstation :) Can you let us know any time soon about cross buy / cross save functionality?
A vita release date would also be nice :)
I already have the game on PC but I want to buy it on Vita for train journeys, if it’s cross buy or even cross discount I’ll just buy it now, otherwise I’ll wait!

11) Buy Minecraft PS3 edition so that daddies can play the PC edition without being pestered by the kids. :p

Enjoying the PS3 version quite a bit. I would prefer a slightly larger overworld, 862×862 seems a little constrained for my liking but that’s only a small niggle.

Owen Hill – Hi!

Can you tell use if the PS4 version of Minecraft will be the superior Xbone version or is it going to have exactly the same functions as the more basic 360 version? :(

As the PS4 is a powerful next-gen console it makes sense to give it the most powerful version doesn’t it?

12) Play the tutorial world, it teaches you everything you need to know, is a really nice looking overworld that may give you quite a few ideas of what you can build and will allow you to net a good chunk of the trophies in a few hours.

FireMe2008 20 December, 2013 @ 4:54 pm   5

I will be holding off till the ps4 version comes out :-) , bit of a strange time to release the ps3 version when the ps4 has just come out, guess its ok for the people just with the ps3.

I wont be on my ps3 not nearly the amount of time you need to put into a game as Minecraft, I will be on my ps4 a lot if not all the time. so pointless me getting the ps3 version. my ps3 is just for watching blu rays now.

QuietlyWrong 20 December, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   6

* The easiest way to build a shelter is to burrow straight into a cliff face. Don’t faff around at the beginning of the game trying to lay out a house plan. :)

* My absolute all time numero uno tip when exploring cave systems – as I delve deeper, I always stick my torches on the right-hand walls. Then when I need to retrace my steps, I just follow the torches keeping them on the left. Since I started doing that I hardly ever get lost any more…

Will get this when its out for VITA and PS4 .. I hope it gets cross buy but I kinda doubt it will

OnionMarmalade 20 December, 2013 @ 7:35 pm   8

Just started playing this today. Having a great time. If anyone wants to take on the end with me, feel free to add!

endereye2013 20 December, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   9

just out of interest I don’t want to sound like a noob but what is cross-buy

@ endereye2013 Cross-buy is when buying a game nets you more then one version of the game. Usually it refers to buying a PS3/Vita version of a game and getting the Vita/PS3 version of the game for no additional cost. Also some games which already supported Cross-buy have started giving you the PS4 version as well if there doing a PS4 version (Flower is the one that pops into my head)

Its not been said whether Minecraft will be cross-buy so we don’t know whether we might get the PS4/Vita version at some point for no additional cost since their not out yet. It’s possible we might, but its up to the publisher at the end of the day. Some people are holding off on buying because there holding out for the PS4 version encase its not cross-buy supported.

ryannumber3gamer 20 December, 2013 @ 9:27 pm   11

Part 1

Well I’ve started well in Minecraft PS3 Edition. I made a big house, managed to mine some gold and diamond and made myself an nether portal and getting an wolf. Although I went exploring in search of an village and ended up losing my wolf. I should have kept him inside my house in Minecraft but with the nether portal in there, I didn’t want to take the risk of zombie pigmen spawning from the portal and overtaking the house with my wolf inside. Now the wolf is lost somewhere inside the world. Although weirdly I think my world may have spawned without villages. I explored a lot of the map in an attempt to find one but didn’t find anything. Have to say that I like how much the game is more like the PC version rather than the Pocket Edition. I like it has most if not all mobs of the PC version and The Nether and The End.

ryannumber3gamer 20 December, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   12

Part 2

Also If I can make an suggestion. It was hinted that a PS exclusive skin pack might happen sometime. If this ever does happen, Can I suggest a pack with Jak,Daxter (from Jak & Daxter with all of Jak’s different costumes throughout the series), Ratchet & Clank (From Ratchet & Clank), Nathan Drake & Sully (From Uncharted), Joel & Ellie (From Last of Us), Sly Cooper,Bentley,Murray (From the Sly Cooper Series), Kat,Raven, and Sea Wasp/Yunica (from Gravity Rush), Kratos (From God of War), Radec (From Killzone), Sweet Tooth (From Twisted Metal), Cole,Evil Cole,Zeke, and Delsin (From inFamous), Sackboy (from Little Big Planet, and Iota & Aoti (From Tearaway)

unless this is crossbuy i will never play it on the ps3 only vita unless it doesnt have cross play than ill pass

CarotideEtude 21 December, 2013 @ 12:01 pm   14

I must say Minecraft has completely flown over my head so far. Is it worth a try? I have so many other games to finish I don’t want to get too lost in it :)

You_Better_Hide 21 December, 2013 @ 1:50 pm   15

@ CarotideEtude / @ 14

For you, stay away from it. I will explain why right now.
I have NEVER played Minecraft, but heard all this ranting and raving about “Minecraft this” and “Minecraft that”. So, i bought it for the PS3.

It is an awesome game. That being said, IF you have other games to finish, play them first because you will get lost for hours on end in this game and forget about everything. I too have to finish Terraria, The Last Of Us (just MP trophies for TLOU), Resogun, Borderlands 2 and my list goes on.
But thanks to Mojang and 4J, I am lost in my little world which is Minecraft…

Thank you guys for this game :) :) , and i DO hope the PS4 version is on par with the Xbox One / PC version. Now this gen can run things better then most PC’s, give us the epic Minecraft edition, with a bigger map and more stuff / enemies. Though the map size is decent, especially for a n00b on Minecraft like myself, it is the right size. Lets call the PS3 map version a “warm up” to the bigger and better map in PS4. :)

saidemirmahmutog 21 December, 2013 @ 8:50 pm   16

Very good minecraft ps3

@ You_Better_Hide Agreed. If you have other games you want to finish then this is not a game you want to buy. This is a game you should avoid at all costs or it will eat your life.

Indeed buying this just before Xmas is probably not the best idea xD

I game into this as a noob to Minecraft pretty much as well and now I play little else or want to to be honest. It’s extremely addictive and easy to get lost in.

SwingerE11 21 December, 2013 @ 11:35 pm   18

Does this game have cheats?
I usually turn keep inventory on, on the pc version so I don’t lose my stuff when I die.

13) Play some awesome tunes in the background! Minecraft is one of the few PS3 games to support music playback from the XMB. Just open up your XMB in game, select a song or album and it will play in the background instead of the in game music whilst you play!!! Fantastic feature!!!

When minecraft ps4 edition will come out???

@Xion1116

Thank you so much man! the fact you can play your music in the background of your xmb while playing minecraft is the best tip so far!

funky_prime 23 December, 2013 @ 7:10 pm   22

im really happy that this came out for the ps3. i have a crappy pc and didnt heve an xbox 360, was really happy when i found out it came out on the ps3, never thought that would happen.

angry-guy-jnr 28 December, 2013 @ 9:24 pm   23

I need help I don’t know how to eat food and it won’t let me do anything until I eat

AUTOCAR12 30 December, 2013 @ 7:47 pm   24

at last it’s on PS3

Am I missing something? Can you set a ‘home’ spawning site so that if you die and re spawn you don’t have to go on a massive hike to find where all your valuables are? With that, is there any sort of warping capabilities?

MC PS3 is great i have been playing a lot recently.
I got a diamond sword with Sharpness IV Looting III Fire Aspect 2 And Knockback II!

I have the demo Is there a end portal I found nether wheres the end