Posted 31 December

Happy New Year from everyone at Japan Studio

11403688413_3a5c1449ee_b

2013 has been a very busy year for Japan Studio. We launched four titles this year, including my own game, Puppeteer on PS3. So we are all looking forward to a few well deserved days off. Although you might be surprised to hear that here in Japan we do not get Christmas off. 25th December is just a normal working day!

Since I moved here 10 years ago, Christmas has become more popular but it is celebrated in a rather strange way. Christmas Eve is actually more important than Christmas itself, where young couples go on dates, families tuck into Kentucky fried chicken and Santa-san seems to skip past Japan on his whirlwind world present delivery tour.

So we will all be in the office hard at work on new creations for you all to enjoy. Much like Santa’s little helpers at the North Pole.

The New Year is where it is at in Japan. It is not a New Year like most of you will celebrate, with fireworks and champagne. Actually, everything closes down and everyone returns to their far flung corner of Japan and their family homes.

New Year’s Eve starts with an old tradition of eating soba noodles late at night. This is followed by a trip to the local shrine at midnight to thank the gods for the previous year and also wish for a prosperous and healthy New Year. This is called Hatsumode – literally, the first visit to a shrine.

Then as the Temples across Japan ring their bells 108 times for each sin of human kind, everyone heads home for a cup or two of hot sake and bed. Why to bed? Because it’s up early to watch the sun rise on the first day of the New Year. This is called Hatsuhinode and is meant to bring you good luck.

Then on New Year’s Day the celebrations begin. Normally New Year’s Day is full of drinking and eating traditional foods such as Osechi Ryori, a three-layered wooden box full of delicious delights. Also, Ozoni, a clear soup with mochi (pounded rice) is slurped down, and then usually followed by sashimi or sushi. In fact, so much is eaten and drunk that there is a special soup that is consumed on 7th January called nanakusa-gayu, seven herb soup. This is meant to calm your poor overworked stomach.

There is one tradition that all children look forward to and that is Otoshidama. Here, children receive money from their relatives in small envelopes. Let’s hope they use it wisely and buy some games!

From everyone here at Japan Studio, we wish you a Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year! Keep on playing.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

happy new year :) like a lot of games from japan studio

Happy New Year Gavin Moore, and thank you for the Puppeteer Art Book. A brilliant look into the art of such a wonderful game.

Can’t wait to see what the next project is from Japan Studio and you.

Happy New Year!

@ChazzH69 – Chazz Harrington

Edvardcooper 31 December, 2013 @ 5:01 pm   3

Happy new year Japan Studio and thank you for Puppeteer, on of the best games I’ve played this year. :D

chrisboers 31 December, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   4

Happy newyear to everyone at Japan Studio! Thanks for bringing us Puppeteer, the most under-appreciated game of 2013! I’m sure more people will find it and value it early 2014.

So, since you all are already in 2014, how’s things that year? :-)

Hope to hear a lot from you in the next 365 days (and beyond!)

All the best in 2014 guys!!! You are one of the very best and oryginal studios in the world! Im still having high hopes for The Last Guardian…

Happy new year, but aren’t you still busy with making Puppeteer patch which will sort terrible subtitles timing?

Happy new year to you. I normally do not ask for a sequel, but could you make a puppeteer sequel please? Is my personally game for the, not the year, but genaration. So plaese, plaese a sequel for the puppeteer.

nexusdroid 31 December, 2013 @ 9:05 pm   8

Tokyo Jungle for Vita would make my 2014

Happy New Year Gavin and everyone at Japan Studio ican’t wait for more of your posts in 2014

greekgoddj 1 January, 2014 @ 1:42 am   10

Just finished your game yesterday actually. great game… now if only you would make the soundtrack available for purchase :o)

bitbydeath 1 January, 2014 @ 6:54 am   11

Happy new year! Now please make Tokyo Jungle 2 and make it on a larger open world scale. First was awesome and would love to see the series continue with even more animals to choose from or even some wacky cross-breeding.

European_Gamer 1 January, 2014 @ 9:19 am   12

Happy New Year, 2014 is going to be an amazing time 4ThePlayers.

Happy new year guys I know the Vita and PS4 will be on fire in 2014!

hinchcliffe59 1 January, 2014 @ 11:04 am   14

Sony it says that my account will be logged out of the ps4 because an error has occurred (np-34352-7)

Happy new year Gavin and all at Japan Studio, and thanks for the insight into Japanese holiday traditions – i might need some of that seven-herb soup soon! :)
Puppeteer was excellent, both charming and challenging. The singing mermaids were a highlight.

maniakplm 1 January, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   16

Hey, can somebody please finally explain how to play Grid 2 in English? It downloads ONLY in FRENCH. All the moderators are ignoring the December PS+ thread and apparently don’t care about the users.

Captain8bit 1 January, 2014 @ 8:42 pm   17

Happy new year! And thanks for all the greatness!

Lexingtongue 1 January, 2014 @ 11:48 pm   18

More needless filler posted on the blog, then? Thought this was a blog regarding Sony video games, not a cultural learning experience about Japanese new year celebrations! While we get untold amounts of pointless threads like this, shedloads of important questions still go unanswered.

j2604nail 2 January, 2014 @ 6:26 am   19

when exactly do you think the 1st of January 3014 is???? in GT6 you claim that a certain event will start on that date but as yet it is still locked! what calendar are you lot using? it is the 2nd of January and still no sign of this event being unlocked and playable as you claim! what gives??

j2604nail 2 January, 2014 @ 6:27 am   20

should be 1st January 2014 not 3014 as i said in my last comment….so when guys?????????????????????

j2604nail 2 January, 2014 @ 6:29 am   21

and the biggest disappointment of 2013 go to “GT6″ for the PS3! no enduros, no B-Spec, still got crappy nascar, go-karting, drifting and rallying! and the limit on credits you can have in GT5 is BULL! haven’t worked out what the limit is yet on GT6 but i bet there is one!!

MacTully 2 January, 2014 @ 9:35 am   22

Happy New year to everyone.

Mac

jonnyalpha 2 January, 2014 @ 12:09 pm   23

Happy New Year Puppeteer guys! I really like the games that try and do something a little different and your game looks amazing on my 3d telly.

tiago-kun 2 January, 2014 @ 10:24 pm   24

Puppeteer is actually one of the ps3 games I regret being unable to play. I really hope that somewhere in the future I can this game on the PS4 or Vita.

Happy New Year!

transpondster 3 January, 2014 @ 1:11 pm   25

Where is The Last Guardian?!
Happy New Year :)

solarwind12 3 January, 2014 @ 7:40 pm   26

@Gavin Moore
Thank you for your time in explaining Japanese tradition on New Years, i found it most interesting and informative, i seen a tv add about the money in envelope tradition, though thought that was a Chinese one, are they red envelopes, or is that the Chinese one, anyway i hope you and all in one of my favourite countries have had a good holiday, i have always dreamed of visiting Japan, both it’s rural and the cities, Tokyo, my dad was a seaman, and after doing a six month stint, if he had called into Japan, Singapore and similar ports a call, he would always bring me the ‘latest’ new tech breakthrough home, have some great memories of the mid to late 1970′s toys and electrical ‘marvels’ i was envy of my mates, having a ghetto blaster (lol) way before they were easily obtainable, though the remote control cars and robots also hold good memories.. I tried my luck asking for a vcr.. But was soon put in my place… Really enjoyed reading about the traditions, started soul sacrifice c/o plus last night, ( on my main ac) and am very happy with what i have seen.. Though i would love to be able to play it on my tv, eyesight issues, Happy New Year.

Happy New Year! It’s interesting to read about the tradition in Japan, thanks for that.
I have to say I love and really appreciate the effort you guys give, cause you are the only Sony studio that shows my beloved Vita some real love! It’s a pity I can’t play Puppeteer and Rain on it, it would be awesome if you decided to port them this year, cause a handheld is where platformers belong and I just never care about them on a home console.
Cheers, let’s hope your next games are going to be even better than the previous ones!

SilurianLass3 6 January, 2014 @ 1:10 pm   28