Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 6:23pm

PlayStation Now game streaming service unveiled at CES

Today at the CES show in Las Vegas, SCE President and CEO Andy House unveiled details of PlayStation Now, our new service that will let you stream games to your PlayStation devices using Gaikai’s cloud technology.

As you can see in the details below, it will launch in North America later this year. Unfortunately we’re not quite ready to confirm launch plans for PAL territories. When it comes to broadband provision, Europe is a considerably more complex region, with a huge number of different providers and varying connection speeds from country to country. In short, we need a little more time to ensure a smooth and successful roll-out.

Rest assured we are working hard to bring PlayStation Now to our region as quickly as possible, and will update you again when we have additional news to share. In the meantime, read on to find out what you can expect from this great new service:

We’re only a week into 2014 and it’s already shaping to be an incredibly exciting year for PlayStation fans.

Today, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, we announced that PlayStation Now (PS Now), our new streaming game service, will be available in the US this summer. With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PlayStation 3 library, first on PlayStation 4 and PS3 systems, followed by PlayStation Vita.

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV line-up will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.

PS Now

Leveraging Gaikai’s advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:

• Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.
  • Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other internet-connected devices.
  • Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you – just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.

We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription model that will enable you to explore a range of titles.

PS Now will begin a beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

103 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
Silent_Gig 7 January, 2014 @ 6:30 pm   1

Great news for the US

What about titles I already own digitally? Do I have to rent them again?

Fred Dutton 8 January, 2014 @ 9:13 am

We’ll confirm full details a little closer to launch – sorry I can’t give you an answer today.

Stonesthrow 7 January, 2014 @ 6:31 pm   3

I always buy Sony products and I love the way they’re connected to each other.

andrewsqual 7 January, 2014 @ 6:31 pm   4

Uh oh. If its anything like the Movie service “rollout” we were promised 5 years ago, I guess that means, “Never” for some countries.
Fingers crossed this won’t be the case because last time I checked, PEGI looks after the rating for most countries in Europe so that shouldn’t be an excuse for a holdup.

True about Europe. Most Belgian providers use a datacap of approximately 200 GB / month.

supersmith2500 7 January, 2014 @ 6:35 pm   6

So won’t come out until 2015 right? =\

So I don’t have to buy a PS4 now.

JediFish_2012 7 January, 2014 @ 6:35 pm   8

This looks great, but why does America always get everything first? They’re so spoiled!

so 2015 for the uk germany and some other poor country’s

and 2018 for the netherlands and the other country’s where the people have money ?

and if its like video unlimited then it would be around 2020 ? if not later becouse it was promised to give it to us in 2008

This sounds like it will be the gaming Netflix I hoped for, I’ll pay for a sub £15 a month for unlimited access sounds about right considering I pay that for a physical games rental model through boomerang (get ps4 games with that mind you)

Hope this rolls out across the EU asap, if your in a country that has stable enough broadband you should not be held back by country’s that don’t.

P33rMoLaALI 7 January, 2014 @ 6:41 pm   11

When can we download our own personal media???

MaxDiehard 7 January, 2014 @ 6:46 pm   12

Hopefully we will see some integration with PS+.

realproperhero 7 January, 2014 @ 6:51 pm   13

- NBA Street
- TimeSplitters
- Silent Hill 2
- Primal
- Rogue Galaxy
- Odin Sphere

This doesn’t work if you don’t bring onto the service the games that defined that system.

TeddyBearTwinkle 7 January, 2014 @ 7:01 pm   14

tipical usa gets it 1st well i know what USA really means & i think we should steel their broudbands & give them the eu 1

MaxDiehard 7 January, 2014 @ 7:04 pm   15

@TeddyBearTwinkle

Your grammar…..wow.

Lestranj 7 January, 2014 @ 7:05 pm   16

I’m in the UK and on 100meg with unlimited downloads, as is most of the UK with access to Virgin Media.

richardson27 7 January, 2014 @ 7:05 pm   17

Would we be able to stream games from our plus downloads we already have?

Fred Dutton 8 January, 2014 @ 9:14 am

As above, we’ll go into more detail on how exactly how the service will work closer to launch.

MaxDiehard 7 January, 2014 @ 7:07 pm   18

@richardson27

I’m sure the same goes for our disk-based games by way of verification of some sort.

I’m sure as hell not paying out again.

Skookie30 7 January, 2014 @ 7:08 pm   19

I welcome this news we knew it was coming but when, but i agree with hayzink & if you look into the past [the video store, vidzone, netflix] & other services all come out on time when even Not all SCEE region had them.

this should be the same UK & some others have superfast broadband bt infinity is one of them we should not suffer because some country cant get their fast broadband.

but some suggestion i give.

*close beta for plus members

*Dont region locked the service so others who got another account can wait & sit it out when EU does finally bring it out.

*lastly will other bravias telly have a update & what tablets are compatible IOS & android included?

that just 3 suggestion what about ps4 it self that to get cloud streaming too right & sub it said is that plus sub?

anyhows im all excited so i can play in bed on my ipad :), but no more excues if i have to guess i say autumn/winter 2014 we get it.

Captain9Fingers 7 January, 2014 @ 7:08 pm   20

I used to use Onlive and it was really good although only really playable early in the morning due to throttling and peak traffic. I prefer playing on a console though as it’s really annoying to get to a tricky part in a game and then lose because the connection spiked or something.

Give it up, Fred. Your coleagues at SCEE can’t even sort current problems on PS3 (AXN and Animax video services, delete option for Singstar in XMB etc.). Don’t expect they can handle such service. Even if SCEE somehow manage start Gaikai service in PAL territories within few years, it won’t be for more than four chosen countries. Others will usualy get left. Like in my country – Vidzone? PS mobile? Nothing good comes from SCEE. Never.

supersmith2500 7 January, 2014 @ 7:09 pm   22

Going to have to agree with JediFish_2012 with this one. The PlayStation brand is really popular for Europe but yet again we get treated like second-rate customers while the US gets spoiled. We still have no Netflix and Toro’s Friend Network apps for Vita, No Live Events viewer, get little loyalty, most devs do not post their news on our Blog.

To be honest it really reminds me of Netflix but with games but also worries me at the same time with regarding licensing issues. But really I’d hate to see retail die over digital. My opinion.

Skookie30 7 January, 2014 @ 7:16 pm   23

* doh of course Ps4 going to get it,it in the picture above i just speed pass that picture to read the info lol :D

THEBB1994 7 January, 2014 @ 7:18 pm   24

What about if you have already brought a title on the PS3 store? I hav a huge list of digital downloads I have brought over time. When this new service launches will I have to re-buy the software to play it on my PS4 even tho I have brought it before on my PS3?

SuperSaiyan4 7 January, 2014 @ 7:19 pm   25

Yeah Europe has such poor infrastructure I mean we only have 20+ mb Internet speeds with mine being an awful 58mb with an 18mb upload (actual speeds as checked on speedtest.net) on a Fibre Optic connection. I guess comparing that to the USA with their insanely fast 10mb Internet I guess our Infrastructure is really lacking behind /s

Mathew9R 7 January, 2014 @ 7:30 pm   26

If you live in the USA yeah…

Now we in the UK get the SHAFT™

wouldn’t it be better to roll out on a country-by-country basis in Europe?

aaronwalkeruk 7 January, 2014 @ 7:35 pm   28

Happy New year Fred! Will this service link up to our PSN accounts, ie, will we have access to items we already own?
I have quite a few titles I didn’t finish before my ps3 died, would like to finish these off on my ps4.

Veritere 7 January, 2014 @ 7:38 pm   29

Sounds promising but I won’t celebrate until we get more info on this (the payment question comes to my mind).

TitManSoldier 7 January, 2014 @ 7:40 pm   30

I’m a lil scared about the subscription thing. I wouldn’t be paying an extra £20 to play a game through a stream whereas id be able to play it on ps3 without no problems. At e3 they announced a partnership with virgin media which has my hopes up for the slow internet situations. But then all my previous digital games are not playable because the services games are limited are are not free even though i’ve already purchased them and we already pay PS+ per month but atleast I know at some point I will be able to play ps3,2 & 1 games on a ps4, tablet etc we’ll see how it goes

AsmodeanBT 7 January, 2014 @ 7:41 pm   31

You can’t even get the Singstar malware off of our XMB’s and I’m supposed to believe you could get a service like this running smoothly? Yeah, right.

Good to hear news about this so early in the year, a shame it is US only for now but we already knew that would be the case to begin with.

I would like to know whether existing ownership of titles will be carried over, i.e. will I be able to play games I have bought from the PS Store or acquired from PS Plus for free.

Opt1mus76 7 January, 2014 @ 7:44 pm   33

@16 & 23,
I live less than 4 miles outside of city of Norwich. I get 4-8mb tops with 2mb usually. Virgin doesn’t cover my area and BT are slow upgrading exchanges. They aim to offer minimum speed of 2mb to every home in Norfolk by June 2015. That implies some people may not even get that basic speed for up to another 18 months. My local exchange is due to be upgraded to double capacity but that probably won’t push me over 20mb. Don’t assume because you have decent broadband that everyone in the country has. For how close to the city I am I don’t even get mobile phone signal at home :(

Skookie30 7 January, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   34

The reason why Onlive did not survive was 2 reasons one being you must have a HD telly & the other was no sony Ps games on the service.

extermin8or_ 7 January, 2014 @ 7:50 pm   35

Can you not at least confirm this is due to launch in EU this year? Or even if it’s due in the UK this year? We’re more similar to the USA language and law barriers and have similar speeds on our internet-plus it was an english inventor that created it :p none of this would otherwise be possible so why are we always last for services? Any news on next firmware for ps4?

Fred Dutton 8 January, 2014 @ 9:18 am

Sorry, I can’t give you a concrete timeframe today. We’ll work hard to roll it out here as soon as possible.

Skookie30 7 January, 2014 @ 7:57 pm   36

the Broadband situation in UK is not the issue most UK has it now, let just say it well over 50% also you dont have to wait till UK reach 100% to get the service Onlive did it & they said at the time higher then 3/4MB speed would work higher even better.

the higher the speed will still give a small lag they said that too.

i bought the ps4 earlier then the ps3 but the ps4 is mission 4K super HD tellys not every one got one should sony waited till we all get one?

Marky-j94 7 January, 2014 @ 7:58 pm   37

I gave my ps3 to my little brother and sister for christmas. I kept some of the games though gta v, skyrim etc knowing some sort of backwards compatibility would be coming. Should i sell the discs and buy the digital copies or will the discs hhave some value in this system.

Also i don’t see why america is getting this first their internet infrastructure is horrid from what i’ve heard from a few friends, due to the fact that cable companies are deliberatley throttling back internet speeds. I feel like japan or even the uk would make a lot more sense. Especially considering the inevitable teething problems. Apart from that i like the look of it, hopefully the price is reasonable, maybe even with a ps+ tie in

j85thday 7 January, 2014 @ 8:00 pm   38

Yeah f***ing 2015, you mark my words.

Skookie30 7 January, 2014 @ 8:00 pm   39

*missing not mission :D

Klaus9090 7 January, 2014 @ 8:11 pm   40

That sounds really great! I hope it’ll make it to Europe soon. ;)

Yeah, looks like it’s Italy wich destroys this for europe, as almost ever other european country have faster speeds than usa actually!
But to be honest, I am not too intrested in playing old games on my soon to come ps4, I want ps4 games for it! But I am still bit annoyed that they does not releases services worldwide so those which can and will take advantage of it can atleast when blaming the internet providers for it, as I suppose most ps4 owners also have a up to date internet provider aswell!

I wonder how large the selection of PS3 games will be?

I mean, even now, 7 years after the release of the PS3, the PS1 section on EU PSN is rather lacking with several games missing that I would like to see there, not to mention the PS2 section which is really bad which sucks cause I would happily rebuy plenty of my PS2 disc games if possible.

To think there will be a big selection of PS3 games available is just plain unrealistic, but I will be happily surprised if games like Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, Way of the Samurai 3, Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 4 are there, and not just the biggest blockbusters like Uncharted and Call of Duty.

But then there’s the whole input lag streaming issue too, since the machine you’re playing on is actually hundreds of miles away. So I can’t help but to be very skeptical about this.

I hope the PS4 will eventually offer proper PS1 and PS2 emulation, so no streaming is needed for those games and able to play from disc (and a much larger selection of PS1&PS2 games on PSN!)

pineanas 7 January, 2014 @ 8:23 pm   43

Hello,
I’d just like to leave a thought here:
I do not understand ‘hard implementation due to different service providers” in EU. Every EU country has a general fiber optic network, and yes different providers grant different access to the end user.

HOWEVER

The infrastructure is there, so if there are people willing to pay (like me), what’s the problem to treat this as a service with a clearly labled minimum requirement of lets say 10Mbit connection? Similarly to system requirements in PC games?
If an end user has said bandwidth there is no technological barrier stopping this from happening, as I can stream Netflix, connect to Japanese servers and whatnot…its the internet…

Isn’t it better to open it to people who have the net, clearly labeling the requirements, than blocking it for all?? How is this good business?

As far as I see it, here in Poland I will never get to use this feature, just like Music/Video Unlimited/PS Mobile and others, due to magical yet non existent barriers:(

pineanas 7 January, 2014 @ 8:26 pm   44

By the way I have successfully played a few games via Gaikai before the Sony purchase! Back then you could play NFS/Alan Wake/Saintsrow 3 free for 30min through the website…

And yes I played it rather smoothly!
From the EU! (Poland)
On Gaikai 2 years ago!
On a celeron netbook!
On 15 Mbits!

sporeboy100 7 January, 2014 @ 8:31 pm   45

but what if i own a game on disk already? do i have to pay AGAIN to be able to play it on PS4/VITA? or will i pay a discount if i own the disk version of it already?

How will streaming games with heavy online components work? Something like Dark Souls, are these games even viable? Would the game assets be streamed and the connections happen separately? Or would only SP be playable?

I don’t expect an answer I just find it interesting and baffling at the same time!

MobileTone 7 January, 2014 @ 8:59 pm   47

average broadband speeds 2013: USA 8.9Mbps UK 7.9Mbps. Latvia 9.8!!

MobileTone 7 January, 2014 @ 9:00 pm   48

i have an OnLive streaming console and you need a rock-solid 12Mb connection to get the best out of it, lucky then i have 60Mb :)

bestheelever 7 January, 2014 @ 9:15 pm   49

@realproperhero it does say that it’s the PS3 library of games. There is no mention of PS2 games being added although I could be wrong on that point.

It would be good to know If acesss any games I’ve already purchased are available for free. If so that would be great. I’m not saying I want a free ride as I’ll gladly pay to play something I may have overlooked but why would I pay again for something I already own?

What about games which we own physical copies of and digital purchases?

Assuming we get to play our digitally owned purchases -
I have loads of physical PS3 games which I’d really love to be able to play without having to keep my PS3 setup. I’d be very interested in paying a small premium per game to obtain a digital version, similar to the UMD to digital offer which Japan had a good few years back.

Load all