Posted 4:00pm

Energy Hook swings onto PS4 and PS Vita soon

SkyGarden

Being an independent game developer sure has been a bumpy ride. After making Spider-Man 2, I quit my sweet gig at Activision to see if I could make games my own way, on my own terms. I’ve been through a lot since then! I founded a company with a friend and we built it up, had several employees and health insurance and everything… only to see it come crashing down.

So now I’m on my own again, starting over from scratch. But maybe things are turning round? By revisiting the coolest thing I’ve ever done – swinging game mechanics – and launching an unorthodox kickstarter for the game, called Energy Hook, my new company Happion Labs seems to be on an upward trajectory.

And the latest piece of good news: I’m going to be able to bring Energy Hook to PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4!

So, what is Energy Hook? Well, imagine that 3D swinging-and-movement games like Spider-Man 2 and Bionic Commando had a love child with points-for-style games like SSX, Tony Hawk and Project Gotham Racing. You swing from rooftop to rooftop, pull off mid-air tricks, run along walls, and rack up points and energy for doing it. Because: it’s the future. And that’s what the extreme sports of the future look like. You have gravity beams and gravity boots and jetpacks and can do awesome stuff.

MistyWallrun

PS Vita is my favorite handheld. There’s no handheld like it – nothing else comes with dual sticks, and Energy Hook wants those dual sticks! It’s a very expressive game that wants precision controls. A touchscreen is not enough. So while casual gamers are playing Candy Crush on their phones, we can play Energy Hook on PS Vita. I daresay it’s going to be the first time a decent 3D swinging game graces handheld, ever.

And I’m also glad to be bringing it to the PS4. Mark Cerny has been my hero for years; in fact, we borrowed from his playbook, his “Method”, to make Spider-Man 2. So to see him be front man for the PS4 warms my heart. I can’t wait to see how Energy Hook performs on the new hardware; I’m sure it’s going to be awesome. (I’m not sure what I’m going to do with all that power… but I’ll think of something.)

Energy Hook will be hitting Sony’s consoles before any others. I’m totally stoked. I’m looking forward to getting the game in your hands in 2014, and can’t wait to see what you think.

DarkCityGlowy

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

14 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks interesting, is there any gameplay videos laying around?

Looks decent.

Avengerrr 9 January, 2014 @ 4:21 pm   3

Glad that you’re back on your feet and creating what looks to be a superb game. Looks fun, sounds fun, and reminds me slightly of Gravity Rush in looks and mechanics which is a good thing.

Hope it’s soon in 2014, I mean really soon. I’d like to get my hands on a points-for-style game again now I’m finished with Urban Trial.

Gamesgbkiller 9 January, 2014 @ 4:21 pm   4

This is what I’m waiting for.

Can’t wait to see more :)

fredrikselvig 9 January, 2014 @ 4:22 pm   5

Looks interesting. Been looking at
Would you know if there is any possibility for Spider-Man 2 to be released as a PS2 classic on PSN, or is there no hope for such?

fredrikselvig 9 January, 2014 @ 4:23 pm   6

*Been looking into this on Kickstarter for a while.

MaxDiehard 9 January, 2014 @ 4:51 pm   7

Looking forward to this. As long as the swinging latches onto buildings and not from some invisible ceiling in the sky.

Spiderman 2 was fun to play based on the swinging alone.

A_Nonny_Moose 9 January, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   8

I’m not joking, literally a couple hours ago while playing Lego Marvel as Spider-Man, my mind wandered and I wished we didn’t have to wait for a year or two between Spider-Man games (longer between good ones) to get some good swinging action. “Why don’t people just copy it and do cool stuff with it?” I asked myself.

Definitely keeping an eye on this now.

DoYouLikeMyID 9 January, 2014 @ 6:54 pm   9

If you guys want to see some (probably early) gameplay, you should check out the game’s kickstarter page for a video. Here’s the link:

The swinging mechanic will hook onto real objects, and not the sky, which looks like it’ll add a ton of realism/immersion to the game, compared to something like “The Amazing Spider-Man”.

It looks really great. I’m definitely interested! :D

blendercat27 10 January, 2014 @ 4:38 am   10

I’m in. Looking forward to this.

THANK YOU!!!

Tricks n style games are one of my favorite of all time!
Played the hell out of All tony hawks (until underground, favourite was 2-3), TrickStyle (future hoverboard action!) jet set radio and others.

Very happy we are coming back to these games, for me a great game is all about gameplay, split-second decisions and ranking up that score!

Hope you add a wide variety of tricks and abilities to chain them up in combos, to keep the tricking as interesting as the terrain traversing which i totally dig! KUDOS!

Keeping my fingers crossed, getting this for VITA!
Best wishes from Poland

HomessaHomem 10 January, 2014 @ 2:42 pm   12

I can`t wait!

Demonized 10 January, 2014 @ 4:31 pm   13

This looks interesting, especially love seeing new interesting games available for my Vita.

Looking forward to seeing more on this and I love the enthusiasm/passion Jamie has in his post.

Sy_1967_Tamworth 23 January, 2014 @ 9:03 pm   14

Looks really cool and fun, looking forward to it’s release.
Nice to hear from the dev too, good luck and hope you get the success with this that your enthusiasm deserves!