Posted 12 January

The PlayStation Blog recap

PlayStation.Blog Recap

Hey there folks. I trust 2014 is treating you well thus far? We got out of the blocks pretty fast this year, with the announcement of the forthcoming PlayStation Now service at the annual CES show in Las Vegas. Elsewhere, we also had updates on three extremely promising indies coming soon to PlayStation Store – OlliOlli, Road Not Taken and Energy Hook, added a few more deals to our January Sale and took a look back at the biggest sellers for December in our regular Store charts. Check out the full reading list below.

Do enjoy the rest of the weekend, and we’ll see you back here on Monday. We’ve a busy week planned!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

49 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first

evilwitch83 12 January, 2014 @ 10:36 am   1

No, 2014 has not been treating me well so far. I asked Chris Howe a question on Wednesday and as usual it got ignored. Is Tales of Graces f likely to be in the IGC in the next few months?

Also I still have not been given a proper answer about why our 3rd ps3 game was cut and SCEA still gets to keep theirs and why they regularly get 50% plus discounts in their sales and we only get 10% discounts or no discounts at all. Improve these things and then my year will start to get better, I will continue to subscribe to plus and I may even purchase a ps4 next year.

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:37 am

No plans at present for Tales of Graces in IGC, but we’re never able to 100% rule out a game for the future.

Speaking of Chris ^ what happened to the (winners?) of the question he posed “What is your favourite PS+ game” (with 5x yearly PS Subs to win). Hopefully also find out February’s games next week.

=======

Slow start on the blog this year. All hung over?

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:39 am

The winners have been selected and notified – apologies for not making it more visible for all to see. They were: reisseli, vigilante_man, ryannumber3gamer, FrankVVoods and BartsBlue.

no, it has not treated me well aswell :(
Im still waiting for my pre-ordered ps4. I ordered for 2 months ago, but its still out of stock everywhere..

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:40 am

Sorry to hear you’re still waiting. We’re trying our very best to get stock out there as soon as possible.

Good year so far(game wise) Trying to play my PS4 & PS3 & PSVita at the same time which is impossible even for me :D

+ Loved that SONY talked about the PlayStation Brand at CES to because they normally ignore the PS Brand :( (watched Kaz CES Show twice already, what a GOD) :P

Looking forward to all the New PS4 stuff(Updates, PS.Now etc etc in 2014′) Keep it up SONY;)

pedrocas170 12 January, 2014 @ 11:46 am   5

Are this rumored ps plus content for February true?
PS3: Metro: Last Light, Bioshock Infinite.
PSV: Dynasty Warriors Next, Modnation racers.
Ps4:Outlast

Yep, 2014 was pretty great so far.
Nevertheless I have to support evilwitch83 here.

We pay the same, we should have the same budget (per subscriber) to pay for the Plus content and services.
Yet it seems that Americans manage to achieve far more with that budget. More games, games remain longer in the IGC, better sale discounts, a lot of other services that don’t exist or are crippled for us.
As our money can’t be the reason this leaves just two options:
A) Bad management
B) Intentioned preference of one faction

So yes, our IGC was better in the past, that was kind of a compensation and excused a lot. But it isn’t better anymore, so it is about time that we get some answers.

All games that we got within the last 2 months, the USA received too. With the exception of Gucamelee. While the USA received Bioshock Infinite, Brothers and Dyad, which we missed.
And seriously, if we miss games as the gem Brothers, just because some manager decided to be a **** to us, we’ll have an ongoing problem.

P.S.
The rumored Vita content sucks. Again a racer, again a beat’em up/fighting game.
And what about that >70% Metacritic rule/promise? We got 67% and 62% there. SCEA at least got Smart As with 72%.

Lunastra78 12 January, 2014 @ 2:11 pm   7

@pedrocas170

I hope you’re correct. Metro and Outlast would make me a very happy gamer!

@5 bioshock infinite and metro would be awesome. Not got time for any more vita games just now as playing walking dead, tearaway,killzone mercenary and rayman legends :-D

Hi Fred.

I wanted to buy the DC comics premium level pack for LBP2 but the webstore just gives out errors when trying to leave the main page. On PS4 I can’t get on the store at all and on PS3 the DC pack isn’t showing.

You might already be aware of some problems with the store but if not I am having some issues getting it to work.

Jawad Ashraf 13 January, 2014 @ 10:48 am

It should appear on the PS3 Store shortly :)

We aren’t seeing errors on the webstore on our side, so it may be a browser problem.

chrisboers 12 January, 2014 @ 3:03 pm   10

@Above: Brothers was on sale for E2. If you want to start complaining about something, pick something else.

jimbob12345678 12 January, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   11

Gotta keep on with the copy/pasta until I get a reply :(

I got mine in December and I haven’t had the month added to my subscription nor an email about the comp. The post said all you had to do was link your account to the Vita, so what happened?

That blog post has 101 comments and I cant see a single one claiming that a user recieved their free month without chasing the issue up. Its looking pretty similar to the ratchet gladiator incident again except this time an email to me is not even required. I am NOT prepared to phone customer services again this time as the cost of the phone call is higher than the cost of the 1 month of PS+ that I might (should) end up getting as a result.

I appriciate that you guys on the blog team cannot check my account details but you can still explain to me why it would seem that nobody has recieved what was offered here. Having to pay out for something that is worth essentially £3 – 4 is not acceptable nor worth it by anyones standards and if we are all gonna have to do it then suddenly it starts to look like a scam! :/

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:55 am

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems with this promotion. I’m looking into it now, and will update asap.

Hello! I bought Persona 4 Arena during the january playstation sale on the EU playstation store. And tried to play it on my EU playstation account. But I am using a NA playstation 3. Can I please have my money refunded?

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:47 am

This is an issue for customer services – click on the link in the right hand menu to get in touch.

I know its just based on rumours but my comment revolves around next plus update.

Not a big fan of dynasty warriors soi that’s not one I’ll enjoy but modnation is fantastic and much better than ps3 version, its a title I already own and I suspect many others also do as it’s been on sale many times but to those that don’t its a great handheld racer.
The ps4 on the other hand if it is outlast that will be great as it was on my radar anyway.
I think the best thing about plus for me now will be ps4 as most games will have to be new titles just due to the fact there’s no games ATM.
I can honestly say I PERSONALLY would be delighted to get 12 indie games over the year if they were day one new releases like the 3 we have had are and outlast will be. I have already played don’t starve more than anything else so far on ps4 its fantastic and we are having some fun on the forums with it if you want an inspiration to give it a go come join the fun. http://tinyurl.com/pld7w4e

Its not been a bad year so far, started a new job, got plenty of games over the last couple of weeks. The PS Update on Christmas Eve was probably the highlight of my Xmas honestly so thanks for that :)

Question if I may, Is there any plans to add Tales of Graces F to the IGC? I can understand if you can’t answer, but I’m so tempted to buy it right now but would be really gutted if I bought it in the sale only to get it the month after as a perk.

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:48 am

No plans at present, but like I said above, we can never 100% rule out any game from coming to the service in the future.

MaxDiehard 12 January, 2014 @ 7:31 pm   15

@Trym13

You bought a game on an account not intended for the region of your console, knowing that fact full well. You are at fault there, not Sony.

Region Free or not, that fact applies to Blu-Rays, it said nothing about that applying to digital downloads.

dogwalker4000 12 January, 2014 @ 8:36 pm   16

Hey Fred,

I wonder if you can forward a problem a few of us Marvel Lego for the PS4 owners are having to the store team. It seems the exclusive DLC is missing on the PS4 store.

I redeemed my code and the PS4 recognises that there should be 1 add-on for the game but when I select it from the library it just loads the overview for the game and doesn’t let me select anything.

I even tried starting the download remotely via the SEN web store and it says its ready but nothing downloads on my PS4. I’m assuming there’s some bug somewhere as I know of people who have the exact same problem.

I would contact customer services but it’s not really worth the cost of the phone call ;)

Any help would be great.

Nightmare966 12 January, 2014 @ 8:53 pm   17

@dogwalker4000: Check first if it’s Listed as a service — sometimes DLC is activated serverside as a service and no download’s needed (ie LittleBigPlanet 2 Season Pass, AC: Revelations pre-order DLC). Unless something changes on PS4, as I don’t own one, but perhaps that should be it :)

@Fred: Before going onto this week Recap, thanks for arranging the Playlist post — enjoyed it a lot even though I didn’t reply :)

I can’t really say 2014 has treated me bad so far, just this week I’ve been able to grab *sigh*finally*sigh* Dead Space 3 and the DC Comics season Pass for LBP2. I also got my first hands on with a PS4 demo kiosk, played Knack for 5-10 minutes. Really liked what I saw on it, and it actually convinced me to grab the game whenever I’m able to get the console. Props to Mark Cerny and Japan Studio :)

As for next week, looking forward the sale update (Well, or at least I hope it gets updated) and AC:Liberation HD.

I’m also hoping 2014 sees the realease of the PS Store download list sorting. It’s been 1 full year and 1/4 and we still haven’t seen any of it!

Have a nice weekend Fred, see you on Monday :)

AC Liberations HD I am also looking forward to, only 2GB install too! Hope its better then ACIII. What else comes out next week? I’m sure there’s something…

MaxDiehard 12 January, 2014 @ 10:13 pm   19

@xion1116

The story in Liberation was bland and confusing as hell. It was the first to not have any part of the Present Day story arc, so that may have been a factor in it.

@ MaxDiehard

Great :( I was really hoping it would be better, thought it is only £11.99…

I’ll probably end up trying it anyway, I have a sort of love/hate relationship with AC games. After II they became sort of meh for me but I’ll still try them because of how much I enjoyed the first two and how much I hope they can rekindle that engaging story and gameplay for me. It might never happen, but I can hope xD

Still need to try IV as well at some point.

MaxDiehard 13 January, 2014 @ 1:18 am   21

ACIII was a total shambles. A boring and uncharismatic moody protagonist and an unengaging story.

ACIV however, I was sceptical at first after ACIII, but I decided to get it on PS4 because my library is mainly shooters. Best choice I ever made. It’s a huge step up and there’s so much to do. I would highly recommend it.

bitbydeath 13 January, 2014 @ 7:46 am   22

Can we expect to hear info about the upcoming PS4 firmware update anytime soon?
Looking forward to getting media support on the PS4 so then I can finally sell off my PS3.

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 9:51 am

I can’t give you an exact date for PS4 firmware news, but as soon as the details are confirmed we’ll post it here.

BigBoyBanksy 13 January, 2014 @ 9:45 am   23

Will we be finding out February’s PS+ Update on Wednesday, looking forward to it as always

Hi Fred!

Is it safe to buy Virtua Tennis and Need for Speed on the vita? Any plans for the IGC?

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 10:41 am

No immediate plans for these, but as above, I can’t rule them out for the future.

Hell-Raiser-85 13 January, 2014 @ 10:54 am   25

I got Battlefield 4 with China Rising code i went on PS4 PSN store and found it. It said “Free” so I started the download it asked me to proceed to checkout etc and it wants to charged me the £11.99 for it when I get it for free and it said free in the corner. It works and is free on PS3.

What is the best way to go about sorting this out?

Thanks.

Fred, don’t you think it’s time for SCEE to finally give us option to delete that insulting Singstar crap?

evilwitch83 13 January, 2014 @ 11:20 am   27

Fred, Howcome the plus update post is so much later this month?
We found out our November content on October 11, the December content on November 13th and the January content on December 13th.

Thanks for kind-of answering my Tales of Graces F question. I might purchase it, but I’m still not pleased that it doesn’t even have the usual 10% plus discount on this title in the sale, or that you totally ignored the part about the 3rd ps3 games and the worse plus discounts.

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 11:28 am   28

We’ve still some details of the next PS Plus update to finalise, so aren’t quite ready to reveal this week.

Regarding your other PS Plus question, I’m afraid I don’t have anything further to add at present to what was said last year. I can assure you your feedback has been heard however.

Hi Fred!

Is it safe to buy Muramasa Rebirth on the vita january sales? Any plans for that game in the IGC?

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 11:39 am   30

See above – no plans at present!

@hayzink
I’m sorry my friend, I’ll have to doubt your verdict about Modnation Racers on the Vita. It has no online feature to begin with. Of what use exactly is a fun cart racer without multiplayer?
And 62% on Metacritic, based on 51 reviews, don’t happen for no reason.
Considering that the Vita already had 2 racers in the past 3 months, doesn’t really make Modnation Racers a smarter and better choice, as an IGC addition, too.

@chrisboers
News to me that we need your okay what we are allowed to criticize.
Brothers was already confirmed NA IGC content when Brothers got on sale.
Considering how identical the IGC setups have been lately, it’s rather logical NOT to buy the game then.
But you would probably have suggested folks to buy Bioshock Infinite too, right?

@Fred
Well, that’s at least something. Let’s hope that it won’t last too long till hearing the feedback will result in appropriate reaction. ;)

@Fred

Can i get an answer on this, why is star ocean the last hope international not in web store its an amazing game for ps3 ?

Fred Dutton 13 January, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

That would be a question for the game’s publisher, Square Enix. The publisher makes the decision whether to release a digital vesion on PlayStation Store.

captain57boots 13 January, 2014 @ 12:22 pm   33

I get E-8000113 when trying to upgrade from ACIV ps3 to ps4. Physical to digital. Why?

KaioRaven 13 January, 2014 @ 12:27 pm   34

Hey guys,

There are rumours going around that the EU IGC for february are:

PS4: Outlast
PS3: Bioshock Infinite & Metro: Last Light
Vita: Dynasty Warriors Next & Modnation Racers

I know you guys can’t confirm what they are until you make the announcement but you can guys deny these if this is the case?

I’m mostly dubious because Dynasty Warriors has never been in the IGC before. :D

@Phene90x
That’s a question for the publisher. And people might disagree about the “amazing” part. ;)

As a RPG fan SOTLH was my single worst RPG disappointement in the last generation.
Just the voice of Lymle alone would have been enough to make me quit. If there should ever be a worst character/voice vote, she’d be my one and only candidate!

@KaioRaven
Dynasty Warriots has already been confirmed.

Bovrillor 13 January, 2014 @ 12:54 pm   37

I really hope the Bioshock/Metro for PS3 IGC rumours aren’t true. Both awesome games, but it’s been months since the IGC had a decent game I don’t already own.

Of course, ditching the 3rd title and never rotating the shovelware free-to-play stuff out doesn’t help.

How about some IGC titles that weren’t in a sale the previous month, for a change?

ten-bucks 13 January, 2014 @ 1:42 pm   38

@fred I must comment that 16 replies from 37 questions (nearly half) is good communication! Obviously you cant reply to all (other work wouldn’t get done:-D)

MaxDiehard 13 January, 2014 @ 2:07 pm   39

@Fred

Do you know if Driveclub will still have a PS+ Edition on its release?

Hi, I have a suggestion for the IGC. Instead of a third PS3 game, why not give us a PSP game each month? It would be obviously cheaper for you and an extra incentive for those that don’t have a Vita yet. What do you think?

JelliedJohnny 13 January, 2014 @ 4:28 pm   41

Is the ’14 for 14 sale’ coming to the EU store? 14th is my bday & really want to pick up some great value Vita games…

supersmith2500 13 January, 2014 @ 4:43 pm   42

So no Plus update until the last week of the month?

supersmith2500 13 January, 2014 @ 4:45 pm   43

Also if Bioshock Infinite doesn’t make it on February IGC. Buying a physical copy. Even though it’s a 80% chance.

Skookie30 13 January, 2014 @ 5:38 pm   44

Well this is a 1st a plus update news at the same time when the update should be live did SCEA cried again telling SCEE to cut out announcing our IGC too soon before we SCEA told you ours 1st.

& Fred what could be big news this week if it about beta playstation now for EU & a proper date for us EU then yes it will be big news or is it a ps4 firmware update. :D

Such a shame that “14 for 14″ promo is US only. Most of the deals are way better than the ones we have in january promo.

loonyspoony 13 January, 2014 @ 6:59 pm   46

Gotta love those 50% plus discount the US dishes out, $5 for Crisis 3, $7 for Puppeteer. What’s that about £3.50 and £5.

Can’t wait for our 10% off £20 for those kind of games, bargain!

loonyspoony 13 January, 2014 @ 7:03 pm   47

I have to forgive them we got 10% off £16 for Puppeteer, not £20, so only three times the cost of US, and no plus discount off Crysis 3 making it near twice their cost. Ho Hum.

evilwitch83 13 January, 2014 @ 7:08 pm   48

@Fred. Our sales are nowhere near as good as that 14 for 14 sale. Yes some of the titles are the same but if you compare the prices of those titles, you would see that US are getting them for far less than we did because they have 50% plus discounts on top of the regular discount. For example, we got Puppeteer for £14.40 while US got it for $7(£4.27). That’s a price difference of just over £10. At our price I didn’t even consider buying it, but at the US price it would have been an instant buy for me.

That is the reason why I don’t find anything to my liking in the sales, and if you don’t start improving the plus discounts in sales I probably never will.

@Fred: Why are the same games over 50% cheaper when they go on sale in the US. And why do we have to wait another week for our Pluscontent? It should be live next week, not announced. Chris not being ready to reveal? How about doing your jobs? People are paying a monthly subscription remember? You should have plenty of time when you copy and paste from the US Blog and are too lazy to edit those posts ( like the post about the Gaikai service being launched this Summer, not happening in Europe this Summer so false information once again ).