Posted 2:01pm

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII demo out tomorrow on PS3

Movie1

If you weren’t lucky enough to attend any of last year’s events that hosted Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, we have good news for you! We’re excited to announce that from tomorrow you can get your hands-on a playable demo!

From now on, you don’t have to take our word for it that this game is unlike anything Final Fantasy has ever done before, because it’s finally time for you to see for yourself.

So what’s in the demo itself? Of course, you’re playing as Lightning, but you’re now mysteriously tracking down her old friend Snow Villiers in the city of Yusnaan. As Lightning, it’s going to be up to you to fight through the chaos to see what happened.

And the battle mechanics? No Final Fantasy is without battles, and this demo gives you just a taste of the real-time elements incorporated into both the field and the battle system, and it includes but a fraction of the ways you can customize Lightning.

J_fix

Once in battle, you’ll notice how the battle system has evolved from the traditional paradigm shift party system into strategically using Schema. Each Schema has its own ATB gauge, allowing you to attack relentlessly with commands mapped to corresponding buttons. Then you’ll switch to a new Schema, and all of your attacks change too, allowing you to pummel the enemy with different elements and attacks – Lightning is a one-woman army!

Finally, one of the features that the demo shows off is called the “Outerworld,” a way for other players to communicate their progress via social networks like Facebook and Twitter to post their battle scores, and more.

If you can beat the Zaltys boss at the end of the demo and you post your score via Outerworld, you will unlock the Siegfried Garb in the full game. Who is Siegfried, you ask? Play Final Fantasy VI, and more will be revealed.

We’re so excited over here to have you check out the demo and tell us what you think about the new battle system and gameplay. So what are you waiting forYou can pre-order Lightning Returns here and of course download the demo when PlayStation Store updates tomorrow.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

41 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

Silent_Gig 21 January, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   1

Awesome, i cant wait to play!

When are u going to announce Ps Plus games?

Lee Williams 21 January, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

We’ve got nothing in the works right now… but you should definitely check back here tomorrow! If you like Final Fantasy that is :)

XtianHawkGamer 21 January, 2014 @ 2:11 pm   3

Can’t wait! :D

pinkplaybunny 21 January, 2014 @ 2:15 pm   4

I will be treating myself to this game for Valentines day :-) Won’t be getting anything from anyone else that’s for sure!

bo_ya3ga_27 21 January, 2014 @ 2:15 pm   5

I have never played a FF game before, ever. I know I know..but there are just TOO many and aaaah. If the demo size is small I’ll give it a whirl. ;D

Falcon1991 21 January, 2014 @ 2:16 pm   6

Hopefully next on your list will be to focus on the LOOOONG awaited Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts 3.

I will play the game and hopefully enjoy it, but I think I speak for all of us when I say I’m glad this Lightning/XIII saga is almost over.

Silent_Gig 21 January, 2014 @ 2:22 pm   8

Does the EU demo get the same DLC benefits as the US demo?
Cause if it doesnt then thats extremely poor play.

Lee Williams 21 January, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

Unfortunately Europe won’t get the Utsusemi schema as it is part of our Samurai Collection pre-order bonus.

Will we also get the Utsusemi Samurai garb for playing like North America?

Will there be a Final Fantasy sale prior the release of this game?

Lee Williams 21 January, 2014 @ 5:01 pm

I can neither confirm, nor deny the possibility of an FF sale… Keep your ear close to the ground!

ghettokid1987 21 January, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   11

“When are u going to announce Ps Plus games?”

Apparently when the January Sale will end ;)

Retro_1973 21 January, 2014 @ 2:33 pm   12

Nice – Cannot wait!

/”‘ ̄フ/)        、
  ,/ ,–、  ̄、__フ     //
  ,ヘl⌒ノ   >    ,/ /_
 ( _l_”_ニ_ く_  /) / /
  ゛ ,>      フ、    、、>
   <" (      フ __>
   ヽ  \、、 _フ' ノ
    \、__、、,_ノ゛
         〉ニ〉ニ〉
       ,、_/ニ/ニ/
     ∠l∠l、ニ>

@bo_ya3ga_27

Please don’t let Lightning Returns be your first introduction to FInal Fantasy.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD is out in March for PS3 and PS Vita. Those (X particularly) are true classics and a fantastic intro to the series.

Silver-Seraphim 21 January, 2014 @ 2:47 pm   14

Will we be getting the lightning returns avatars like the US store got?

Thanks for this demo, but can’t resist to ask: Final Fantasy Type-0 western release? Chrono Cross and Xenosaga in EU PSN store?

Prem-aka-Prince 21 January, 2014 @ 2:55 pm   16

I look forward to it. Free unlockables from the demo are a rewarding addition.
Also, it’s a matter of opinion when speaking about which entries in the series are “classics”. I do like the other two XIII games, and the team seem to have tried to make many improvements with Lightning Returns.
The top picture of a black-masked Lightning standing in front of a clocktower reminds me fondly of Kingdom Hearts 2 though, lol.

pinkplaybunny 21 January, 2014 @ 3:13 pm   17

Yeah i second a western release of Type – 0

Is it worth playing if you haven’t played XIII or XIII-2? Don’t really have any interest in those games either, but this does at least look interesting.

And as Podyman I really wish we could get more Square-Enix PS1 games in a future PlayStation EU Store update, like Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, Threads of Fate, Valkyrie Profile and Xenogears.

So the US gets 2 bits of dlc for playing the demo whereas Europe gets only 1?

I guess the person who came up with this idea is the same one that thought putting the FFXIV:ARR data centre servers for Europe in NA (Montreal) was genius. It really doesn’t make sense JP has their servers in JP, NA has theirs in NA and somehow Europe is part of North America as well? Considering how much money is being made on the game by subscribers you could actually locate the European servers in either UK or somewhere in mainland Europe

There is just one reason I don’t play demos.
700+ items in download list without the ability to filter.

And dont come saying ‘simply use search’. Because with PS+ on multiple platforms (ps3/ps4/psv) it’s hard to keep track what games you all own.

andrewsqual 21 January, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   21

When are you going to make a remake of FF7 and not make a sequel to a sequel that nobody asked for?
Next you will be posting about how sales of the game, hardly anticipated by anyone, were below your very high expectations :)

whoops … mixed up regions .. lol
still, what I said stands :)

@21
I do believe FFXIII series is being played and bought quite some and I myself am very interested in a sequel.

FFXIII sold 5.09m
FFXIII-2 sold 2.49m

lets look at other great games:

Mass Effect 2 sold 1.31m
Dragon Age Origins sold 1.54m
Fallout 3 sold 3.33m
Elder Scrolls Skyrim sold 5.23m

(source: vgchartz.com)

GaiaScythe 21 January, 2014 @ 5:22 pm   24

So it includes DLCs .. and is not available in Germany ?
Or again for PS plus …. would be quite annoying and unfair …

Lee Williams 21 January, 2014 @ 5:45 pm

The demo will unlock additional content for the game but only if you share your Battle Score to Outerworld after defeating Zaltys. And the demo should be available in Germany!

@23
You shouldn’t trust VGChartz, they’re commonly regarded as having inaccurate data.

That 5.09m figure for XIII is incorrect for a start. At least 5.5 million copies of XIII were sold, which they announced when it went on sale in the West, and that was back in 2010.

EA announced Mass Effect 2 sold over 2 million copies in its first week.
Dragon Age: Origins sold over 3.2 million units according to a press release from EA back in 2010.
Fallout 3 shipped over 4.7 million units in its first few months of sale.
Skyrim has sold over 20 million copies as of June 2013.

In regards to your reasoning that people are playing and enjoying the XIII/Lightning saga, sales have decreased with every installment, and recently it was announced that Lightning Returns opening sales were half of what XIII-2′s were.

(2009) Final Fantasy XIII – 1,501,964
(2011) Final Fantasy XIII-2 – 524,217
(2013) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – 277,082

Less and less people are coming back every time. Time for Square to move on.

Ha, Lee’s reply for @2 pretty much confirms the FF sale tomorrow ;)

Yes! This is a nice surprise, I wasn’t expecting this honestly till like the week before LR comes out. I remember playing the Japanese demo, but nothing beats playing a game in your native language… and in colour in my case (damn 50hz) xD

Siegfried Garb huh? I am intrigued xD

A little late to the party but I do have a question.

How will EU get the Aerith costume?

Will there be a way to get the pocket watch from the US collectors edition.

Why wont u release it to ps4??!!

Good to know. Would like to get some hands on time to make my decision on this game.

Skookie30 21 January, 2014 @ 8:04 pm   31

*sigh* so much for phil rogers the CEO of SE-Europe & SE-NA when SE-Europe & SE-NA merge & a promies of getting out games sooner etc big better times ahead.

you be also please to know or NA is to get the Yuna outfit can you confirm that EU get that too.

since we not getting the CE edition only NA will get it same with imports.

Go Square Enix go!!!

You say it won’t have the Utsumei schema… but the french PS Blog clearly says it will. It’s written on it. So who’s right? Or will it be for France only?

but it won’t be all french, like PS+ Grid2 was… right?

@25
I figured somebody was going to claim ‘bad numbers’. I’d be interested to see your source. (other then company own released numbers, which often are inflated)

As for the big number differences, my totals were PS3 only, yours look cross platform numbers. (I doubt 20mil Skyrims were sold on PS3 ;) )

Just because a product has less sales than a previous release shouldn’t mean they should move on. Blizzard by that logic should’ve given up on WoW a decade ago, I’m pretty sure it’s still well played and profitable.

will the full game comes in playstaion store plus ?

Marmite-Forever 22 January, 2014 @ 10:37 am   37

What time will this be available on the store?

balintina 22 January, 2014 @ 11:33 am   38

It will be available for whole europe or for only few countries? and specific time would be nice to know :) at least around which hour

xVividWing 22 January, 2014 @ 2:21 pm   39

Shame no avatars are being released. Some of my friends from the US have them. :/ I hope we have something better then.

I cannot find this demo in the PSN Store. Am I doing something wrong? How do I find it?

Yet to see this on the AU store. How much longer until it is available for download?