Posted 2:01pm

Sly Cooper animated movie in development – check out the first trailer

We are thrilled to announce our next CG-animated film – Sly Cooper!

Based on one of PlayStation’s most beloved franchises, Sly Cooper is a kinetic and comedic heist film that tells the story of Sly Cooper, an orphaned raccoon thief, and the adventures of his childhood friends and partners in crime, Bentley Turtle and Murray Hippo. In the film, Sly learns that he comes from a long line of talented and international thieves and is catapulted into a global adventure as they race to reassemble pieces of an ancient book holding the Cooper clan’s family secrets before it can fall into the hands of Clockwerk – an evil Russian metallic owl bent on ending the Cooper family line.

In the trailer, what really stands out for us, and most likely for the fans, is the change in the look of the characters and the world.

When we met with PlayStation to discuss the film last year, we proposed that the CG art style would transfer best in the leap to the big screen. Both PlayStation and Sucker Punch Productions (the original creators of the franchise) were kind enough to give us the chance to make this idea a reality. After a few months of development, the team at Rainmaker, along with director Kevin Munroe, nailed it. Well, kind of…

The modeler gave Murray the wrong helmet which was more like a motorcycle helmet – funny, but definitely NOT his signature one! And while we all loved the temp music track… which happened to be the theme to Mission Impossible… that music would have cost us a fortune to license. With those quirks worked out, we’re excited to bring you this first look and hope you enjoy it!

Sly Cooper is slated to release in 2016. The film will also be released in 3D for those who want to feel like they are in the actual Sly Cooper world.

Oh, and be sure to follow us online at our website and on Twitter — we’ll be releasing a 3D version of the teaser soon.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Silent_Gig 28 January, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   1

This is awesome, i love sly cooper – itll be great to see another Sly adventure in feature-film format!

Murray!!!?? What have you done to him :/

Silent_Gig 28 January, 2014 @ 2:06 pm   3

The CG models take some getting used-to and its a shame cause i would have loved to have seen the Thieves in Time 2d animation used but you know what, im okay with the change and im open to new styles. That being said Bently looks the best out of the three.

Roll-on 2016

Can’t wait to take the kids to see this.

Ratchet & Clank could be great too.

animtor_brent 28 January, 2014 @ 2:12 pm   5

Well looking good. Lets see how this turns out… Making a game from a movie is always bad… but Now its the other way around… Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank…

Lets see!!!

Rainmaker are a good studio they made the excellent escape from planet earth which I loved, but there’s something about Sly’s look I don’t dig he looks a little too human when standing upright.
In the game he was never quite straight up like a human he was always kinda hunched and is it just me or is he a little too cat like in the face?

Bentley however looks fantastic.

Looking forward to this along with ratchet and clank.

TeddyBearTwinkle 28 January, 2014 @ 2:19 pm   7

i seen it already gd film & its not 4 kids

Gamesgbkiller 28 January, 2014 @ 2:30 pm   8

There is Ratchet & Clank movie .. Now Sly Copper movie.

Didn’t you forget about something ?

Jak & Daxter movie perhaps ?!!

renaultmilton 28 January, 2014 @ 2:46 pm   9

its same year that the Angry Birds Movie premiere! Birds meets thiefs!

The modelling as a whole is VERY off-putting. Murray looks like he got done in the most. Much like the Ratchet and Clank trailer, the fourth wall comedy is horrible and I must again state criticism with the fact that we’re trusting beloved franchises that have actual backstory and personality to a company with a track record like this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainmaker_Entertainment

Considering their usual ratings and the usual movies they make, I don’t have faith in them for EITHER movie.

I don’t like the new look for Murray, but apart from that it should be good. Now I wait for the announcement of Sly 5.

renaultmilton 28 January, 2014 @ 2:55 pm   12

And The LBP Movie are next! :D

Alex-1124 28 January, 2014 @ 2:57 pm   13

That didn’t sound like Sly..? You talk about Murray not having his signature helmet, how about Sly with his signature voice?

That was FUNNY :D Hopefully a New Sly PS4 game could look as good as that to :P

@Alex-1124

Agreed. That does not sound like Kevin Miller ;__;

Is that a new actor for Sly? Sly isn’t Sly without the original actor.

And, I have accepted Bently already. I’ll get used to Sly. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE change Murray’s design. His chin is fat and gross.

He is an abomination. I can deal with the weirdness of Sly and accept it with time, but I can’t with Murray. He looks ridiculous. And pants? WHY IS HE WEARING PANTS? (I can accept that if you fix his chin, please you have no idea how much I am hating the gross flab on his chin. He’s not a frog guys)

Oh, and I hope we see the Sly Collection on PS Vita. And we see Sly 5 announced, preferably not with the movie art design. I’d take a movie tie-in if it’s a different universe or something and we get a Sly 5 to wrap up the ending to Sly 4.

Anyhoo, I’m glad to see Sony doing something with their great IPs. Sly, R&C and others have a lot of potential. Maybe now they can gain the fan-bases they deserve.

Give us an adult CGI movie based on god of war!!

That would be good along with the 2 films that are aimed at the younger crowd , I’d take an uncharted animated movie over live action any day as well.

DemonicPrime 28 January, 2014 @ 5:55 pm   19

And now I’m holding out for a Jak movie for 2017. Pleeeeaaaassseee Sony. I’ll love you long time for this!

European_Gamer 28 January, 2014 @ 6:25 pm   20

Why did you choose to abandon the art style from thieves in time.

dark_angel69 28 January, 2014 @ 6:56 pm   21

I would like to jump in on this…Jak & Daxter movie too!! Then Put Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank in a box set! Would totally buy that!!

Edvardcooper 28 January, 2014 @ 6:58 pm   22

Yes! Yes! YES!

Stonesthrow 28 January, 2014 @ 9:46 pm   23

This is how it’s done. CGI, not some random actor that is made to look and sound like the game character in live action, and original voice actors. This is how you make a game inspired film work. This actually invites me to watch it, as opposed to avoiding it for being another stereotypically bad game adaption to the big screen (Resident evil and the likes).

I loved all the Sly Cooper games and can’t wait to see this movie at the cinema. The only thing that is strange is seeing Murray with pants on. ;-)

Only complaint is Murray, just looks… ew, the body design is fine, its just the face, they should make it look like the original design.