Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 2:22pm

Drakengard 3 release date confirmed

Some news I know a bunch of you have been waiting for – we’ve got a firm release for Drakengard 3. You’ll be able to get your hands on the game from 21st May 2014, exclusively for the PlayStation 3.

In Europe and PAL territories it’ll be available as a digital-only release – check out the new official trailer, which includes the game’s opening movie!

Drakengard 3 is set before events in the original game, and six goddess-like sisters known as Intoners have brought peace to the Earth with their power to manipulate through song.

But, as you can probably guess, this harmony doesn’t last – the elder sister, Zero, attempts to murder her siblings with help from the dragon Mikhail, and it’s your job to find out just what’s going on. Can you unravel the mystery of Zero and learn her true intentions? And can you do it without looking on the internet??

Featuring the series’ hallmark hack-and-slash action, cracking weapon combos and hordes of enemies – you can also harness the power of your dragon to charge, bite and trample your foes, smash up buildings and generally cause mayhem.

I, for one, can’t wait. Here are some screens to whet your appetite.

Drakengard 3 for PS3

Drakengard 3 for PS3

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

87 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

So looking forward to playing this! And released just in time for my two weeks off work~ :D

Thanks for all your hard work!

RemyX-1988 5 February, 2014 @ 2:30 pm   2

Thank you for bringing this over, but if it’s a digital-only release in Europe, then I shall have to import the North American version. I need this on disc!

Phew. Saw this on the US Blog and thought we were getting screwed x.x Thankfully thats not the case!
Looking forward to it! It looks so good! Good to see a release date for it. I for one will pick it up day 1!

Akebrett90 5 February, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   4

Please consider a physical release as well, even if it’s a limited print run. If North America can get one, so should we.

No physical release no buy I’m afraid.

@RemyX-1988 I am with you there, mate. I need this on disc!!!

looks like a fun game for the vita…on the ps3…meh ill pass

one question… is there dual audio for digital release?

stevenoshea 5 February, 2014 @ 2:38 pm   9

Yay, a digital only release while the US get a physical one, a amazing Collectors Edition and Dual Audio DLC

Sorry, but if I even bother to buy this, I’ll be importing from America, this ‘Digital’ release just don’t cut it, yet another Square Enix release where Europe gets the worse deal, on PS3 at least

supersmith2500 5 February, 2014 @ 2:42 pm   10

Sorry Square but since the game is only getting a digital release for Europe while the US get’s the cool collector’s edition. I’ll pass. But still, you’re a good game company but no offence. I hate it when game companies decide to release their games just plain digital only and not get a retail release.

Now don’t get me wrong. US also gets annoyed as well with digital only releases as well such as Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z for Vita and Epic Mickey 2 for Vita. Now don’t get me wrong, I hate digital only releases for games that could of gotten a retail release even if it gotten published by the main company themselves.

“In Europe and PAL territories it’ll be available as a digital-only release”

I don’t know why you expect support when you give us the middle finger like this. Not buying it or any of your games new, don’t support us, we don’t support you.

I want a physical copy, not some lame digital one!

What about japanese VO?

Silent_Gig 5 February, 2014 @ 2:54 pm   14

Will you put a PSN pre-order option on the store soon? I would like to put my money down for this asap.

CrimsonSamurai 5 February, 2014 @ 2:55 pm   15

What have we done to pee off Square Enix? USA get the retail standard and the japanese collectors edition which you can only buy from the Square store and they don’t ship outside of the USA (this concerns both the standard and collectors – good luck importing at a reasonable price), as well they also get a Lightning returns collectors edition and a FFX/FFX-2 collectors edition. Plus 3 pieces of pre-order dlc, first one is japanese voice overs which they have no plans to release at a later date. The collectors edition also contains dlc that will please fans of the original two games, but again if would appear this is only for the USA I guess there are no fans any where else in the world!?!

Suzzopher 5 February, 2014 @ 2:58 pm   16

We can’t even import from the states as S-E Store won’t ship here.

Well, if we get the jap. audio, I am in even with the digital one, that voice acting in jp trailer was just intense :) Otherwise … I’ll consider it :)

From the size and the quality of this post you probably don’t believe yourselves it will sell one copy here in EU. I see the same post in US Blog which is written with so much passion and I read the same post in EU Blog and it feels like 3 days old food reheated in microwave oven, offered in a good restaurant, no taste and no passion.

If you don’t believe in the game yourselves how do you expect from your customers to even try the game. As someone who has brought the previous titles in PS2 I feel a little left out from the whole experience in this one, from a communication prospective.

A digital only release is no problem with me but with no “free” “preorder” DLC like
- Bonus items (bonus stages, Costumes)
- Dual Audio DLC and others

and with the idea of paying for those, 4 and 5 € each time when elsewhere they get it for free, I feel it’s not worth the money.

It looks good, but only for the true die-hard fans, if there are any left.

ARE SQUARE-ENIX SERIOUS!!!?

FIRST LIGHTNING RETURNS COLLECTOR’S EDITION ONLY NA…

THEN FFX/X-2 HD COLLECTOR’S EDITION ONLY Na…

AND NOW DRAKENGARD 3 COLLECTOR’S EDITION ONLY Na… AND EU ONLY GET A DIGITAL VERSIOn…

WHAT IS THE THINKING BEHIND THIS???

SCREW YOUR FANS AROUND THE WORLD… WHY?

SQUARE-ENIX REALLY ANNOYING ME NOW… REALLY DISAPPOINTED :(

Silent_Gig 5 February, 2014 @ 3:02 pm   20

Well i just noticed the US perks for Drakengard 3 and i have to say im pretty shocked and thoroughly disappointed.

Not only are we getting screwed on a physical release (which i was fine with, as i just want to play) but were also getting screwed on all the DLC too!

Seriously, all DLC better be coming over to the EU otherwise i will not purchase this at all.

Whats the point?

aeonlord92 5 February, 2014 @ 3:07 pm   21

Yay! Looks great and nice to have a release date :D Shame it’s digital only, I would have loved to have a physical copy alongside Drakengard 1 & 2, and Nier :/ Oh well, I’m just so happy we are getting it at all!

I also would’ve been great to have the collector’s edition version you just announced for the US. That looks sweet! If we couldn’t have a full physical release for the game could we just have a limited physical release with the collector’s edition? :P

On that note, are the DLC items that are included in the US collector’s edition going to make it over to Europe too?

Digital only = No buy.

Can someone, please, answer some of our questions?

Dark_Overlord 5 February, 2014 @ 3:12 pm   24

Sorry Squenix, but I hope this game bombs so hard, you are effectively giving the big middle finger to us in the EU, so guess what, that’s what you get in return >:( Why must idiots like you treat us like crap, you’ve seen how much the fans are begging for a PHYSICAL RELASE, yet once again we get a big FU.

I wont even bother importing the game, why should I have to jump through hoops just to get a physical copy of something THAT SHOULD BE AVAILABLE HEAR ANYWAY.

There you go Squenix, thats 1 lost sale already >:(

I hope at some point at least one person in your company who has at least a partially functioning brain alters the decision >:(

Su-Network 5 February, 2014 @ 3:26 pm   25

@Stray84 It’s funny to see how they bailed as soon as they posted this blog entry. Obviously, they’re not very eager to deal with any complaints.

Dark_Overlord 5 February, 2014 @ 3:28 pm   26

So many spelling mistakes in my last post :( Ah well, it still sends the message across

I said this at SE Blog and I’m going to say it again.
If you don’t wanna kill this franchise, already in struggle, you better release a physical copy of this game, even if it’s in limited numbers. Nier sold more in EU than in NA and you’re treating us as granted. I’m a huge fan of the series but I’m not buying a digital version of this game nor importing a NA copy for an overpriced amount of money. Stop murdering this franchise.

Digital only means I’ll wait to play this on PSNOW some day, unless of course you release it on PS4 too.

Digital only – forget it and oh wait to even import a physical copy is not possible wth? Do you even want European business?

Typical even EU servers for Final Fantasy XIV: ARR are in NORTH AMERICA.

As you can’t consider Europe for collectors edition or even physical releases, I won’t be renewing my sub on FFXIV:ARR. Considering I’ve had the game since release…wish I could actually get the money back for the remaining of the sub I have now. As it stands I really don’t want to play your games any more. There are far too many other Japanese companies that don’t mind releasing physical copies in the Europe. If Tecmo Koei can release physical editions of what are niche games in the west then surely SE is capable of doing the same, guess the useless $ is somehow worth more than the £ and the euro.

nakano1987 5 February, 2014 @ 4:07 pm   30

The US Collectors edition is great: novel and great dlc. At least I would hope to see the complete digital edition offered in EU as a standard edition. This would include all dlc and novel as a digital pdf download. Might even consider importing the US edition, but apparently is not possible.

For a completely different matter though, I hope you offer something nice next year ALSO in EU when there is Chrono Trigger 20th Anniversary. If not new (non-mobile!) game, then art book / quality 1/7 Chrono and Marle figures would be nice.

digital only == no deal

Skookie30 5 February, 2014 @ 4:31 pm   32

I won’t dwell on the subject I made my point over at SE members thread over there my disgust since Phil Rodgers took over as CEO of both SEE & SEA just like Sony SCEE to shaft EU gamers I don’t expect any comments from Sony or SE here

Go over to SE members there too I will not buy this game fed up getting treated like dirt both from SE & SCEE..

Digital only = no buy for me.

Definitely buying this one, any chance of this coming to ps4 ?

ImoutoPantsu 5 February, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   35

I for one will be buying this day-1 one, we’re lucky we even got this localized AND released in Europe. You’re lucky your console is region-free so you have the option of importing. Meanwhile I’m gonna have to import an additional competitors handheld just to be able play Rune Factory 4. If you don’t buy the digital version metrics will just show that Europe doesn’t care about Japanese games and we won’t get any release at all in the future.

LadyFeatherine 5 February, 2014 @ 5:17 pm   36

Well Square I already wrote it on your webpage but if you think we europeans are not worth your time and money, then you are not worth my time and money. I can’t believe that we are not getting a physical release while the US even gets a collectors edition. It is always the same with companies like you. You sabotage your own games in Europe just to be able to claim that people have not interest in those games. So because you got me in the mood to save money I just cancelled my Lightning Returns preorder. That is coming from someone who had FF XIV ARR Limited edition, Bravely Default Limited edition and The Sky the art of Final Fantasy preordered from the first day possible.

I-Draikin-I 5 February, 2014 @ 5:20 pm   37

I’m not that bothered that the EU gets a digital download only, I can understand that it’s not easy to release a retail version here. But what I don’t find acceptable is that the US gets three different preorder bonuses that we apparently won’t be getting (at least not for free). At least let the EU download the preorder bonus DLC for free in the game’s first week of release. You can’t expect us to pay full price for a digital download and then pay even more to get all the DLC separately, simply because we can’t preorder the game.

“In Europe and PAL territories it’ll be available as a digital-only release”

Well, that pretty much confirms that I won’t buy it in EU nor even import it (I would’ve gladly bought the collector otherwise).
Thanks Square for thinking of the well being of my wallet… or perhaps I’ll spend my money on another niche JRPG that actually gets a physical release in EU like Atelier Esca & Logy.

Kinda funny that the company that is mostly known for its JRPG is so adamant on giving a digital middle finger to its EU fanbase with these kind of moves (and let’s not even talk about FFXIV’s EU servers in US or the fact that Bravely Default wouldn’t even be here without Nintendo) while Tecmo-Koei and Namco-Bandai seems to now care about said fanbase with their releases.
And here I thought Ni no Kuni’s success, at the very least in France, would’ve given publishers some faith back in the JRPG genre, especially on Sony platforms… Looks like SquareEnix thinks the JRPG genre is dead in EU except for Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts…

KcKakashi 5 February, 2014 @ 5:46 pm   39

I’m not sure why there is such a huge difference in treatment between EU and NA. Not only do they get free DLC and pre order bonuses blah blah blah, but we get a digital release as a nail in the coffin.

Good thing I haven’t pre-ordered Lightning returns so now I can pre-order Tales of Symphonia instead

TeabagMcFrag 5 February, 2014 @ 5:49 pm   40

Not gonna bother with this, and neither will a friends of mine who’s an avid RPG fan. Why is the larger market always the one to get shafted?

If we apparently don’t deserve the collector’s editions, then neither do our US counterparts.

The only SE JRPG I’m hyped for this year is KH 2.5.

mistervista 5 February, 2014 @ 5:56 pm   41

Sony, do you not understand that ‘digital downloads’ + ‘average UK internet speeds’ = ‘EPIC FAIL’ !!
I only download FREE games and even then I don’t even bother with most of those simply because the average full game takes me at least 2 days to download and then the cutscenes never play properly because the data is too corrupted.
You can’t go digital only until this situation is sorted and downloads actually WORK!

supersmith2500 5 February, 2014 @ 5:58 pm   42

To be honest, I agree with everyone. I don’t think this is fair for EU. True we had a FF Sale but seriously Square Enix, you should it least treat your European fanbase more.

Digital only= game is dead 2 me. basicly square enix itself is a company on it’s way out so who cares.

Guys don’t buy or else that would mean more digital only releases for europe while U.S get’s king treatment like with the whole PSN store crap that been going on for the whole ps3 cycle.

I cannot even pre-order it in NA ’cause it’s exclusive to your’s.

Square, you aren’t even capable of manage a situation for get more $$$ -.-

animtor_brent 5 February, 2014 @ 6:10 pm   46

I have to ask this, please assist me with this… Will we ever see Drakengard 2 on PSN for the EU?

@ ImoutouPantsu

“You’re lucky your console is region-free so you have the option of importing.”

actually NO, people won’t be importing as Square isn’t even allowing people outside of the US to buy a physical copy as its only available from their website.

actually I guess Square is lucky that people like you will still give them money after they have essentially told 4 continents of customers (PAL territories) they don’t care about any of those customers.

nut I must thank Square as they are saving me a £120+ a year as I am no longer subscribing to FFXIV:ARR. Not to mention cancelling my FFX and FF-X2 pre-order. With my savings looks like I will be buying Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Xillia 2, Atelier Escha & Logy and Demon Gaze on release instead – THANKS

Europe – NieR Sales PS3: 140k; D3 Retail Copy: No; Collector’s Edition: No

North America – NieR Sales PS3: 130k; D3 Retail Copy: Yes; Collector’s Edition: Yes

Eff logic, right?

joel141290 5 February, 2014 @ 6:15 pm   49

I can’t believe this… I would have been okay with not getting a CE edition BUT not getting a physical copy at all??

I was excited for a little bit.. then realised that EU gets screwed over YET AGAIN. Three titles in succession in a short time now that doesn’t get CE in EU. Not even giving us an option to buy it from the US if we want to is even worse, exclusive to SE store and they don’t ship outside the US.

Thanks for nothing I guess. Really hard to support square nowadays when they do things like this.

Load all