Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00pm

Expert Surge Deluxe tips – dominate the PS Vita leaderboards

Surge_Deluxe_Splash_Screen

Hi everyone! Dave from FuturLab here to remind you that Surge Deluxe is released today in PAL territories exclusively for PS Vita at the stupendously good price of £3.99/€4.99!

If you missed it last week, here is the release trailer:

I’m also here to stock you up on some awesome tips for getting higher up on the various leaderboards. If you want to read more info about the game, check out last week’s blog post.

SurgeDeluxe_02

AWESOME TIPS

1) It’s always better to vent…
Venting makes the corresponding colour blocks worth more points. For example, if you’re left with a bunch of purple blocks ready for clearance, but some of them are blocking the purple vents, it’s worth sacrificing those blocks to make the vents available, as triggering two purple vents will make your purple blocks worth a lot more points!

You’ll know you’ve got it right when all your blocks are shaking wildly with excitement before you unleash the clearance!

Always Better To Vent

2) Leave the star blocks until the clearance!
Star blocks are worth double points, so chip away all the other blocks in a level to leave as many star blocks for the clearance as possible. If you can get some multipliers in there too, good times!

3) Stack up combiners (the question mark blocks)
Chaining a combiner block with a normal block uses it up immediately, but if you chain combiners together (or with multipliers) without any normal blocks in the chain, they’ll stack together for use later on!

Stack Combiners Together

They also stack at the location of the last block in the chain, so think about which blocks you want to clear out of the way before chaining them together. For example, if the star colour is purple, you’ll want to clear the purple vent as soon as possible, so if a combiner is blocking the purple vent, you can move it away by stacking it with another elsewhere on the board. Cunning!

4) Use Frenzy blocks wisely
Frenzy blocks are your ticket to enormous clearance bonuses. The trailer above shows how to use a frenzy block properly, so study it ;)

If you’d like to know more about the game, please check out the Surge Deluxe web page. And follow @FuturLab and @FuturLabQuality on Twitter! We’d love to hear what you think about Surge Deluxe, the only way we can know for sure that we’re heading in the right direction is if you tell us – so please get in touch! :)

Thanks for reading, hope to see you on the leader boards!

SurgeDeluxe_03

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

8 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first
James Marsden 5 February, 2014 @ 4:05 pm   1

Hey folks,

Any questions we’re both here =)

Cheers,
James @FuturLab

chrisboers 5 February, 2014 @ 4:17 pm   2

Excellent game guys, really enjoying the game! For once, the trophies are also very well chosen: difficult to reach, but not impossible (except for that 12 million one, possibly ;-))

Still not able to pull off that 1M clearance, even though I got close with 991K.

Quite an adictive game! If I can have one request: can we have a ‘leisure’ mode, where you can take all the time you want to clear out a level, specifically designed for the little tykes? My son likes the game, but runs out of time/pressure rather quickly.

Thanks for bringing this to Vita!

James Marsden 5 February, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

Tyke mode is a good idea. I watched my nephew play it too and thought the same thing.

We’ll take a look.

Also, study the video for using the frenzy block properly. You’ll easily smash the 1M clearances ;)

So now that you guys have another game with 80% on Metacritic and everyone around Shahid is already drooling all over your Velocity 2x alpha … how much are you guys in danger of getting out of touch with reality? ;)

James Marsden 5 February, 2014 @ 4:25 pm

Haha, no chance buddy.

We are extremely lucky to be sat where we are. We have no illusions about that. To be honest I have to pinch myself most days to be working with such a great bunch of people.

And I’m distinctly aware that it could all end tomorrow at the drop of a hat. I don’t want that to happen of course, and the only thing I can do to keep this all rocking is working hard =)

More of a general comment than anything Surge-related: you guys are one of the few developers whose releases I look forward to for months. Velocity Ultra is easily one of the most addictively fun games I’ve played in 18-ish years of gaming, though my fingers haven’t quite forgiven me yet for all the times I had to replay certain levels . . .

Keep up the great work!

(Will be trying out Surge Deluxe in a few hours!)

I wish more devs understood the vita like you guys do. I read in an interview that you guys pointed Roll7 towards the Vita way so thanks for that. Get the word out!

blendercat27 6 February, 2014 @ 12:18 am   6

Thanks for the tips. I’ll keep this bookmarked for now. I’ll be getting into the game later today, after work.

How much does speed affect my score? Is it insignificant when compared to pressure vents? :c

James Marsden 6 February, 2014 @ 11:36 am

You get points for each tick of the timer bar left at the end.

Each tick is worth more points as the levels go up. So speed is important, but not as important as getting big chains in the star colour with the corresponding coloured vents open =)

I bought this last night, based purely on the your replies on here (and the fact I love velocity ;))

It’s a great game and one I’ll be trying to master for a VERY long time. Top job again Futurlabs :)