Posted 6 February

Everything you need to know about Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc on PS Vita

Lead image DR1_PS3_banner

Greetings, doods! Chris King from NISA here, dropping by to let you know that the long awaited murder-mystery adventure game, Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, will be hitting Europe next week on 14th February, exclusively on PlayStation Vita! It will also be available the following week on PSN.

But wait dood, there’s more! I also have an exclusive developer interview with Yoshinori Terasawa, series producer at Spike Chunsoft, the masterminds behind the awesome game. Read below as they unveil their reasoning behind many of the awesome features and mechanics of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc!

2013-10-18-1555042013-11-04-163138

For those unfamiliar with the series, could you briefly explain what Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc is all about?
It’s a “closed circle mystery” where the country’s best and brightest high schoolers have been trapped within their high school and forced to participate in a grisly killing game. It’s also a type of logical puzzle game that also features a strong action element, which has led to the creation of an all-new game genre we like to call “High-Speed Logic Action.”

I think players won’t be able to hide their surprise at some of the twists and turns the story will take, thanks to the tapestry of unique characters and story beats. On top of that, the unique 2.5D motion graphics lead to an art style we like to call “psycho pop,” which creates a totally unique view of the world.

Who is that murderous looking bear and why the heck has he trapped those students? Is he my friend?
You’ll just have to play and find out for yourself. Puhuhu…

How does the game progress, and what is the gameplay like?
As you progress through each chapter, eventually a murder will take place. At that point you’ll begin your investigation. Once a certain amount of in-game time passes, you’ll shift into the class trial part of the game. Here you’ll engage in discussions and arguments with the other characters, using a variety of reasoning and gameplay elements (for example, the Nonstop Debate or the Bullet Time Battle).

What makes this game different from other mystery adventure titles?
The biggest difference is what I mentioned earlier – the game systems that combine logic and action. There’s also the overall presentation, which is overflowing with a sense of speed and argumentative energy. On the flipside, that speed also creates a feeling of nervousness and impatience born from the dread of what might happen if you lose the debate. Put all this together and you get a good idea of what kind of difficulties this game will pose.

Those trial scenes look horrifically intense. Could you go into detail about the trial system?
During the trial, each character’s testimony will flow from one person to another. It’s up to you to find the inconsistencies within that flow, then hit them with whatever information you have that proves the contradiction. To do this, you’ll have to position your reticle, take aim, and literally fire your responses at them. If you miss your mark, or get distracted by meaningless dialogue flowing in and out, you risk losing the trial.

What are some of the changes that were made from the original Danganronpa released on the PSP in 2010?
First and foremost, we’ve increased the resolution. We’ve also gone over the art to spruce it up, and make the dialogue visually sharper. We’ve also been able to add touch controls, making the game more intuitive to play and navigate. The biggest addition, though, is the all-new School Mode, which will allow you to interact with your fellow classmates without the deadly killing game looming over you.

2013-10-18-155550

For those fans in the West who already know a lot about the game’s story through gameplay videos and online discussion, what are the best reasons for them to pick up this Vita version?
The best reasons are what I just mentioned – the revamped graphics and the new School Mode. Also, for those who have watched the anime, there are all kinds of events in the game that aren’t touched on in the show.

Other than that, let me just say that “Danganronpa” is much more enjoyable if you don’t know anything about it going in. Exploring and interacting with the characters and world will let you engage with them in a way you simply can’t by watching videos. So if you haven’t read anything about the story yet, don’t!

I was immediately drawn in by the unique animations and character designs. What was your inspiration to create such a unique art style?
The main goal was to create something with impact, that would make people sit up and pay attention – the kind of game nobody had ever seen before, with its own sense of style and “coolness.” After seeing what Mr. Komatsuzaki, the character designer, came up with, I thought fans would be very love-it-or-hate-it about them. But for those who do like them, they’re very easy to get absorbed in.

2013-10-18-1523042013-11-04-165100

Which character was the most fun to design and/or write? Is there a favorite amongst the team?
As I mentioned, Mr. Komatsuzaki was the character designer, and Mr. Kodaka was the writer, and they basically just created everything as they saw fit. I can say that it seemed like Monokuma was designed in no time flat. Pretty much the only request I made was regarding the character Aoi’s butt (laughs).

Are there any plans for more new games and stories in the Danganronpa universe?
Right now, we’re focused on “Zettai Zetsubou Shojo (Absolutely Despairing Girl – Danganronpa Another Episode),” which is a spin-off game that’s currently in development. We haven’t finalized anything in terms of an overseas release, but if “Danganronpa” is successful, that’s definitely something we’d like to see.

And there you have it! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you enjoyed the read! Until next time, doods!

2013-10-03-103246

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nikos_the_great 6 February, 2014 @ 3:21 pm   1

Looks really good! What will the price be when it’s released on PSN?

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 7:24 pm

Hey Nikos_the_greatness,

Thank you! The price on PSN will be €39.99/£34.99.

Silent_Gig 6 February, 2014 @ 3:23 pm   2

Theres way too much coming out next week, ill have to pick this up later.

I can’t wait for this. It’s up there with Infamous and FFX HD as one of my most anticipated titles of the year.

pre-ordered and can’t wait too play it. hope you guys bring more games in the future considering square enix is basicly a dying company and you guys gotta fill their shoes with namco bandai.

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

Hlo dgnfly,

Thank you very much for your support. We’ll be bringing a lot of solid games over from Japan this year, so please keep an eye out!

blendercat27 6 February, 2014 @ 3:46 pm   5

Already got a little shelf space set aside in my library for this, among some other February releases. (This really is a busy month!)

Thank you for bringing more awesome and unique games to Vita.

P.S. Any hope for Senran Kagura games getting localized, NISA? Or Akiba’s Trip 2? :D

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

Hello blendercat27,

Your support is much appreciated! We’ll do our best to bring more games to the table. (Our Vita line-up this year is looking very solid)

I haven’t heard anything regarding those games, unfortunately.

SwingerE11 6 February, 2014 @ 3:56 pm   6

How much will it be on psn?

This is surely my most sought-after release of Q1. With a pre-order placed, now I’m counting down the days till next Friday. :)

Nice interview BTW.

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

Hello eszg_,

Most sought-after release of Q1, you say! Oh my…!

Thanks so much for your support. We’ll try to do more interviews like this in the future – as long as the developer accepts our questions with wide open arms.

@blendercat27 Don’t know how legit this source is, but for what its worth. tinyurl.com/ny4ur7o

CaffeinatedAli 6 February, 2014 @ 4:46 pm   9

Everything we want to know but the price or if it will have a PS+ discount

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

Hello CaffeinatedAli,

The price on PSN and retail is going to be set at €39.99. I haven’t heard anything about a PS+ discount just yet.

Does this mean that the game will not be available to download from the PSN store on the 14th?

Chris King 6 February, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

Hello xavigar,

That’s right. The game will physically hit retail stores on February 14, and will be available on PSN the following week on February 18.

“It will also be available the following week on PSN.”

“P.S. Any hope for Senran Kagura games getting localized, NISA? Or Akiba’s Trip 2?”

Xseed has posted images that suggest Shinovi Versus and Akiba’s trip 2 are coming.

But i hope we can at least count on Disgaea 4 for Vita from NISA and second Danganronpa game :)

ShadowFlex 6 February, 2014 @ 8:12 pm   13

Nis forget this! Where is my Disgaea 5 on PSVita!? This will not stand!

Sooooooooo looking forward to this!!!!!

Kayseurounet 6 February, 2014 @ 8:27 pm   15

Thanks NISA for bringing this over. I’ve got this preordered already.

And I hope you’ll give us the Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth soon, I’ve been rooting for them (and put away my PS3 version) for a while now… (I don’t care about PP, I just want the “real” games.)

Kresnik258 6 February, 2014 @ 11:54 pm   16

Had this pre-ordered for a while, really looking forward to it. Trying to avoid any spoilers for it but have watched a few videos of class trials and it looks amazing, can’t wait.

Hopefully this means Danganronpa 2 in the works down the line…

Please you’ve decided to throw so much support behind Vita this year. Also have Demon Gaze pre-ordered. Hope we see Neptunia Rebirth at some point, too.

Chris King 7 February, 2014 @ 1:08 am

Greetings Kresnik258,

Thanks for your support and good stuff on holding out on the spoilers. It’s tough when you want to learn about the game without revealing too much. I made that mistake plenty o’ times.

We’re doing our best to give the PS Vita the love it deserves. As long as this game does well, then we will be more than happy to take on the second one.

Sorry but my coins are reserved for Toukiden, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F, FFX/X-2, Mind Zero and Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (if it ever comes out). But don’t be sad, I’ll pick your game up “soon”. Promise.

SwingerE11 7 February, 2014 @ 2:15 am   18

I’ll definitely get this on retail. Will there be a demo?

Chris King 7 February, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

Hello SwingerE11,

Great to hear! Unfortunately there will not be a demo available for this game.

I just paid off my pre-order from EBgames. Keep the games coming NIS! Im getting “Witch and the Hundred Knight” as soon as it comes out in Australia.

Chris King 7 February, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

Hello croze343,

Thank you for your support! We are working on many games right now – 2014 is looking like a very strong year. We’ll be back on PS Blog talking more about Witch, so keep an eye out for that!

LiquidSolid 7 February, 2014 @ 3:26 am   20

Just to make sure, this is getting a PSN release in Aus/NZ, right? I’ve been burned with too many NISA releases in the past to get my hopes up too high unless it’s specifically confirmed.

Chris King 7 February, 2014 @ 5:59 pm

Hello LiquidSolid,

Yep, this title will be available on the Aus/NZ PSN store.

Was lucky enough to pre-order the collectors edition of this on the NIS America store months ago. Cant wait to play this bad boy :)

Chris King 7 February, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

Hello Syph33r,

Thanks for your support, and good job getting a hold of one before they sold out!

Bacon_Crispies 7 February, 2014 @ 12:45 pm   22

Digital price seems a bit high as all the websites I look at the physical copy is selling for £29.99.
Game looks great though, never heard or it before but I love Ace Attorney and Zero Escape so I better make sure I pick up my copy.

Definitely buying this game. Big thanks for bringing this game to Europe. Hope you guys got lot more awesome stuff lined up for the Vita and PS3 this year!

Will there be a release for Australia if it does I can wait for it to come out! And keep up the good work NISA!!

ITACHI_U________ 8 February, 2014 @ 9:08 am   25

Will this contain the original Japanese voices just as Atelier series?

OMG! First Persona 4 Golden, now this! You guys definetely start to make me love Japanese RPG-s. Am I the only one, who thinks Monokuma as Teddy’s evil self? :P Well I can’t wait to play this. I’ve played more than 100 hours with Persona 4 Golden. It stole my life. I can’t wait to lose my life in this game :D

This game still isn’t out yet?

has the australian release date changed to the 20th or is that only for the retail versions?