Posted 9:00am

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn: New PS4 trailer and beta update

Find out how you can get an early taste of the epic PS4 MMO

Hello everyone! After my last update, a lot of you had questions about the Final Fantasy XIV beta and the PS3-to-PS4 transfer process for accounts. You were wondering who could participate in the beta, if you could participate with your existing characters or if you needed an existing account or could jump right in.

Well – luckily enough, today marks the release of our Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PlayStation 4 product page, and with it a whole lot of answers you’ve just been waiting for. And not just that – but also a trailer, fully recorded with PS4 in-game scenes.

ss_05

Okay, let’s get started with some real information:

Beta info

• Phase 1: 22nd February to 3rd March
  • Phase 2: 4th April to 7th April
  • Japanese Standard Time assumed for all dates
  • The beta will be accessible for everyone with a PS4 and directly downloadable from the PS Store
  • There will be a character wipe after phase 1.
  • Players who made their character in beta phase two will be able to bring this data to the retail version.
  • PS3 and PC players of FFXIV will be able to transfer character data to the PS4 (please note that this is only necessary for the beta – in the retail version, all players will play on the same servers).

PS3 to PS4 transfer

• The transfer service is scheduled to begin Friday, 11th April, 2014.
  • Please be aware that after transferring to the PS4 you will be unable to play the PS3 version using your existing copy.
  • Users who wish to play using both the PS3 and PS4 are required to purchase the PlayStation 4 version separately.
  • Users who own multiple service accounts for the PS3 can transfer all accounts to the PlayStation 4.
  • Users transferring their accounts will have access during the early access period, schedules from the 11th to 13th April.
  • Please note: To transfer your PS3 account, you must have logged in to it from a PS3 at least once.

ss_07

PS4 features

• Upgraded graphics on the PS4 in glorious 1080p (see trailer).
  • PS Vita Remote Play – craft, gather and play wherever you go.
  • Share-support – stream your gameplay or share screenshots.
  • Mouse & Keyboard Support – switching over from a PC? Or maybe you dislike controllers? No problem!
  • Touchpad-Support – the touchpad of the Dualshock 4 controller is fully supported.

ss_06

Did that whet your appetite? Then have a look at this!

Those textures, those colours, those fluid graphics… never again shall a PC FFXIV player look down on his console brethren! Freedom for consoleros! FREEEDOOOOOOOM! … Sorry. Got a bit carried away there.

Fun facts: To create this two minute long trailer, we recorded over six hours of footage, creating over 800GB of videos at 1080p. I am also in that video, visible at around 0:34. The first one to guess who I am will have the honor of being right! :)

If you want to preorder already, great – feel free to follow this link: PREORDER

Did you like what you just read? Let us know in the comments. And as usual, we will keep you up to date here, on the Square Enix Blog, on Facebook… wherever we can!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

56 Comments 19 Author replies
Show oldest first

I’m really excited to test this game on Ps4 and to use it on PsVita with remote play…

pinkplaybunny 12 February, 2014 @ 9:18 am   2

So what happens as far as the trophies if you have the ps3 version and move to the ps4 version? If you can no longer play the ps3 version i guess you can’t earn the trophies for that version anymore. Will the ones you have already earned on the ps4 pop straight away when you start the ps4 version or will you need to start again and earn them a second time? I haven’t started my ps3 version yet and don’t want to get too far into it if it could cause issues and mean redoing lots :-)

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 9:48 am

The trophies should be carried over to the PS4 :) You should not lose any progress you’ve made.

Artemisthemp 12 February, 2014 @ 9:22 am   3

Looking forward to playing PS4 version.

FallingStickman 12 February, 2014 @ 9:23 am   4

Can’t wait for the ps4 version. I’m playing this game on both the PC and the PS3, but will make the transfer to the PS4 the minute it’s available. Definitely one of the most enjoyable MMO’s I’ve played.

I just wonder how’s the framerate in the PS4 version. Now I know it’s been confirmed it’s 30fps, but I’m curious how solid that would be.

Lt_Fed_Brusque 12 February, 2014 @ 9:29 am   5

Excellent news! Thank you for clarifying all of our answers. Remote play, touchpad support, character transfers, free upgrade from PS3… These are all the features I wanted. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :D I’m getting a PS4 specifically so I can remote play this game :)

FatMachismo 12 February, 2014 @ 9:43 am   6

Ahhh so excited! Loved my stint on the PS3 and now it’s coming out on PS4 I can finally jump back in. The keyboard and mouse support is gonna be a great thing, hopefully help me in getting my normal MMO buddies involved! :D

Roll on the 22nd!

Seriously, Vita remote play for MMO’s is just awesome. I use it for DCUO all the time. If you just want to do a quick bit of farming for 30 mins, it’s much easier to just crack out the Vita. Chuffed that FF will be supporting remote play. Good job!

Pink_Masamune 12 February, 2014 @ 10:04 am   8

It says that if I want to play on both PS3 and PS4, I need to buy a retail copy of the PS4 version. Would I be able to use the same account/characters/etc on both games if I do that?

Also, as someone who bought the Collector’s Edition of the game on PS3, will I be getting the two new pieces of DLC which are included in the PS4 Collector’s Edition?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 10:10 am

The game is completely cross-platform. You can use your account/characters on all platforms that you have activated.

In regards to the CE items – we could confirm in our last article that all owners of an existing CE will also get the new PS4 CE items (the fat chocobo mount as well as the wind-up moogle minion). :)

DarkNiwa1990 12 February, 2014 @ 10:11 am   9

So, is it possible during Phase 1 to use my current FFXIV account to play on PS4? I have the PC version of the game.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 10:13 am

You should be able to log in with your account, but you won’t be able to use your existing characters. In general – everyone who owns a PS4 can participate.

Pink_Masamune 12 February, 2014 @ 10:14 am   10

:D That’s awesome. Thanks for much for the quick response!

European_Gamer 12 February, 2014 @ 10:21 am   11

Are there PVP in this game and what is the max. level you can reach?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 10:29 am

Level 50 is the current level cap, and yes, there is PvP in the endgame, with plans to add more of it in the future.

salvogdaze 12 February, 2014 @ 10:35 am   12

So psyched about the beta! I’ll be playing it a lot for sure. Cannot wait to see how good this looks and plays on the PS4. Might be my first montly subscription-based game. The PS4 version seems to have covered all fronts with the Remote Play, touchpad and keyboard support. Does it actually say that all players will share the same server despite their platform? That would be wonderful since none of my friends has a PS4 but they’re mostly active PC gamers.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 10:39 am

Yepp – FFXIV offers crossplay as a standard :) PS3 and PC players are already playing together, PS4 will be added to the mix.

pinkplaybunny 12 February, 2014 @ 10:50 am   13

Great, thanks for the quick response! Really looking forward to playing this and the remote play will be awesome. Do you know the file sizes yet?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 10:54 am

I fear not. Since we’re constantly working on the game, file sizes can go up or down every day. So we’d rather not announce something that may be wrong in two weeks.

Lt_Fed_Brusque 12 February, 2014 @ 10:53 am   14

Question please! Will we be able to use the Vita’s touchscreen during remote play? For example, tapping the screen to select the quest list?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 11:04 am

I fear I don’t have an answer to this at the moment, but I will add it to the list of questions for future updates! Although there is a good chance that you may be able to test it before that, as the beta starts in 10 days ;)

In regards to the trophy answer you mentioned above, can you confirm the PS3 and PS4 versions will share the same trophy list?

I hate having games listed twice on my list if I can avoid it.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 11:03 am

I fear I can only confirm that they are moved over – if they continue to share the same updates even after that, I can’t tell you, sorry.

STACKHOUSE116811 12 February, 2014 @ 11:11 am   16

Hi, I have a question about the free upgrade, is there an incentive to buy the PS4 version (roughly £40), instead of buying the PS3 version (on Amazon/GAME brand new for £8.49)? I get with most upgrades you have to keep the disc, but that’s a big price difference.

Thanks

@Kahuna

Thanks for the answer, if I wasn’t being clear enough, I meant like how both the PS3 and PS Vita versions of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD share the same trophy list and will not appear on a person’s list twice as separate PS3 and Vita games.

So in this image for example: http://cdn3-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2013/03/DOA5PSharedTrophies.jpg

That game lists PS Vita and PS3 because it’s a shared trophy list, rather than appearing twice as separate PS3 and Vita lists.

So what I’m asking, is will FFXIV have a consolidated list indicating PS3 and PS4?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 11:53 am

I completely understand your question, but the only answer I have right now is about trophies getting carried over. As such, I can’t make a statement in regards of a consolidated list – I’d rather not accidentally say something wrong :) I have put it on my list of things to answer, though.

ShovelFighter_89 12 February, 2014 @ 11:25 am   18

Cant wait to give this a good bash, been eying me up for a while

Artemisthemp 12 February, 2014 @ 11:31 am   19

Will I be able to use my PS3 character in PS4 beta without doing the License transfer? and Will I be able to use my PS3 character during the Early access period if, I buy the PS4 version?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 11:52 am

Without transferring or activating a PS4 copy, you would not be able to log in on a PS4 system. If you upgrade to or pre-order (!) the PS4 version, you will be able to access your existing characters as usual, as the account is the same.

[EDIT] Just to clarify – that was meant in regards to the early access phase. During the beta phase 2, you will be able to access your character.

MadDogxIRLx 12 February, 2014 @ 12:19 pm   20

Can’t wait for this to come out on PS4, only hope that it’ll be more easy to get Time Cards for the PS4 version, I’m in Ireland and on PS3 i couldn’t find any Time Cards for it, so had to use my Credit Card. Time Cards would be more easy for me..

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 12:48 pm

You can use any game time card – they are not bound to a hardware platform. The only important thing is that they’re European game time cards, and you can get them online in many places, as well as any well-sorted high street games store.

Cleggworth 12 February, 2014 @ 12:24 pm   21

I can’t wait for this. I put 20-30 hours in on the ps3 version before deciding i’ll stop and wait for ps4 version. I hope the trophies from the ps3 version carry over to ps4 version but i won’t be too disappointed if not as its an excuse to go over the beginning again

European_Gamer 12 February, 2014 @ 12:28 pm   22

Thank you for answering my question, how does the PS4 version compare to the PC version in terms of frame rate, graphics and screen resolution?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 12:52 pm

Check out the trailer at the end of the article – it’s fully recorded from a PS4. The game runs at 1080p. I’m not aware of the frame rate the game runs with, and I fear all I can tell you is that the graphics look awesome – which is rather subjective, so you might want to have a look yourself :)

ScooterMix 12 February, 2014 @ 1:01 pm   23

I try this beta out if free of course since im glad everyone has ps4 getting beta.

ScooterMix 12 February, 2014 @ 1:02 pm   24

well im glad everyone getting ps4 beta

MadDogxIRLx 12 February, 2014 @ 1:03 pm   25

Thanks for your reply Hergen, trailer looks great, just waiting to see it on my PS4 now.

pinkplaybunny 12 February, 2014 @ 1:10 pm   26

Thats interesting to know about the time cards as Amazon has them but lists it as only being for the PC.. Or might this be a time card for the original FF14 in which case would it still work?!

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

Thanks for bringing that up, we might want to talk to them about that. But the game time card is definitely usable for PS3 and PS4 as well – you enter them to your account, and your account doesn’t care about the platform :)

vonhammer 12 February, 2014 @ 1:38 pm   27

“directly downloadable from the PS Store”

That’s the entire thing right. There’s no client downloading this time?

The reason I didn’t play the beta on PS3 was the lack of progressive download. Every time I began downloading it I just wanted to play something :/

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

There will be a patch that needs to be applied, but it won’t be as big as a complete game download by far. That is the nature of MMOs, I fear!

Lt_Fed_Brusque 12 February, 2014 @ 1:43 pm   28

By the way… at 0.34 I guess that you are the Lalafell at the bottom of the screen with the purple hair? :D

Lt_Fed_Brusque 12 February, 2014 @ 1:55 pm   29

Hooray! ^ :D

STACKHOUSE116811 12 February, 2014 @ 2:43 pm   30

Hi, I asked a similar question above, but didn’t receive a reply, so I was just wondering how the free upgrade works, if the player has a ps3 disc copy of the game?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

Apologies, I must’ve missed it! We’ll have more details on the upgrade process available as we get closer to release. As the tools for this process are currently in development, things tend to change.

What I can tell you is that you’ll need to have logged in using your account on a PS3 at least once to be able to use the transfer service. In terms of incentives, I am not aware of any, but that may change.

drunkenlalafell 12 February, 2014 @ 3:43 pm   31

i hope this means no more trophies added for the ps3 version from now on, because we won’t be able to go back to ps3 after upgrading to the ps4 version and i’d like to keep 100% trophies just like i have for XIII and XIII-2 and will do for X HD too.

plus having a ps3 and ps4 platinum for ARR will be cool.

“never again shall a PC FFXIV player look down on his console brethren! Freedom for consoleros! FREEEDOOOOOOOM!”

it’s a shame even square reps feel that way about the ps3 version. to make the ps3 version playable means turning off all player animations and getting an SSD. without an SSD everything loads so poorly, like turn 5 divebombs are a guessing game without PC players on voicechat, fates were hell with nothing loading when they used to be zerged before 2.1 changed dungeon exp and added roulettes. even with SSD there are still problems though like music keeps cutting out in CT, sometimes primals go invisible. good riddance to the ps3 version and welcome to the PS4 one!

drunkenlalafell 12 February, 2014 @ 3:45 pm   32

now all you need to do Square is give us an EU data center in EUROPE and not CANADA. on PS3 and 4 we can’t even throw money at rerouting services like PC users can and because of data center location we suffer a lot more with latency issues than Japan and America/Canada do regardless of which ISP we use, and for people on some ISPs the game is too laggy to handle fights like Titan EX. until we get EU data centers in Europe problems with dodging stupid 1.5 second area of effect casts that come 50 times in a fight will persist for many here regardless of what ISP and package they are on.

drunkenlalafell 12 February, 2014 @ 3:50 pm   33

not to go on too much about what i just posted but it feels like this game is made for Japan who have their own data center nearby and connections are very good and not Europe where our data center is in Canada and we have latency issues with all the constant dodging mechanics people with decent connections not half the world away from data centers will be fine with but we are at a disadvantage. there are posts on the official forums complaining about lag that go into detail about the data center and ISP situation that have over 700 likes and it seems Square will take more money from people like us for subscription fees but they won’t give us the same quality of service as other locations like Japan and most North America because they won’t invest any money in giving us the same quality of experience.

The ps4 trailer looks great, but will the security token (included in my ps3 collectors edition) work on the Vita before logging into the ps4 client?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 12 February, 2014 @ 5:22 pm

Remote Play on the Vita means that you play the game on your PS4 (so you log in there) and switch over to the Vita. So the security token will work just as you’re used to.

Looking forward to trying it out. If the graphics are finally pretty enough, I’ll resub and finally have a decent MMO to play. :)

The PS3 graphics are really jaggy and horrible, and my PC is a tad out of date *coughs*

Jamesyp00 12 February, 2014 @ 7:13 pm   36

I am absolutely ecstatic about returning to eorzea. I only held off re subbing on the PS3 due to time constraints and the PS4 coming up, having this game now on the PS4 with the touchpad for mouse commands makes me so happy!

Hi Herger!

One question (posted already a few times here in blogs as well as at official FF forums but without any reaction so far):

How will the SE account system handle the fact that it’s not possible to register more than one PS3 version of the game to the same service account in the following situation – you’ll use the free PS3 -> PS4 game upgrade thus loosing the “activation” of the game on PS3. If you for whatsoever reason later on in the future (let’s say becaus your PS4 will brake or you have no access to it for some time) decide to start playing on PS3 again how will manage to register a new copy of PS3 version of the game to the same service account? Will the “old” registration just dissapear upon the free upgrade? Also – if it would be possible to activate new copy of PS3 version to that same service account, will you (again) receive another 30 days of inclusive game play as it was / is with PC + PS3 (+PS4)?

Thank you!

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 13 February, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

Hey there :) After you transfered to PS4, you will once again be able to register a new PS3 copy. So that’s no problem at all. As for the 30 days – as it comes with the game, you will receive them. Just keep in mind that the current maximum an account can hold is 180 days, please.

@drunkenlalafell: why would you be not able to use that on PS3 as well? You can either set up custom DNS / gateway / proxy directly in manual PS3 network confirguration or use your router (if it’s advanced / “clever” enough) to apply the specific routing rules only for one device (PS3) or use your PC as proxy if the router is not capable of such functionality. Of course not all routing / VPN services might be used such way if they require specific authenticaton which cannot be performed without using standalone PC client but even then in most cases using PC as proxy will resolve this.

JabbaUK007 13 February, 2014 @ 5:37 pm   39

quick question, i quit playing FF14 ARR back in december as i decided i got sick of waiting for fates to spawn just to last maybe 10 seconds before they finished so looking forward to this game on ps4 but the question i have is am i still able to switch from the Ps3 to the PS4?, and do we have to do it on a certain timeframe i.e can we do it whenever we want when it is released on ps4 or is it only possible during a certain time?

Hi Herger!

Thank you for clarifying this – that’s a good new considering the still present “teething” issues with PS4 – it would be a shame to loose accees to game if the new PS3 copy of the game will be not possible to register. I really look forward to start of the beta next weekend – it will be a couple of sleepless nights for sure.

Best regards!

vampyre1282 17 February, 2014 @ 5:50 pm   41

I may have missed this but, I can play both versions, PS 3 and PS4, during the second beta with my current character. My question is
Will my stats and items earned in the PS4 second beta transfer when I play on the PS3. I understand that on April 4th I can transfer to the PS4, but am just curious how is works with items and levels earned in the second beta when I play on PS3 between the end of the beta and transfer of the game to the PS4. Thanks.

ReCreare420 17 February, 2014 @ 11:59 pm   42

Will I be able to play on PS4 with my friend who plays on PC? Or are they on seperate servers?

cant play it it says unable to fine the complete verzion check and some number showed up like a code

Anime-Nate 19 February, 2014 @ 12:54 pm   44

I have 2 ?s for those of us who already play phase one no character swap but phase 2 will let us will that transfer or character for one sever to another ? Or will we be able to play with our fc’s ? On our current server
And second ? I dont want to lose my progress with my current guy so If I join the beta phase 2 at the end of them three days will I be able to play on my current server?

Anime-Nate 19 February, 2014 @ 1:43 pm   45

Also so phase 2 will he the start of the 30 free days if I dont want to stay in that server can I transfer right over to another server or is the 30 days part of the beta phase and ill he stuck in a new world with noob people not doing coil or extream primals

Anime-Nate 19 February, 2014 @ 1:52 pm   46

Id like an answer considering I have been paying monthly for half a year plese dont dodge the ? S we have if we transfer during phase two will we stay in our own server or lose all our friends when does the actuall 30 days start that we can use or main guys on our current servers with our ps4

TokyoYearZero 19 February, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   47

At last an mmorpg. I have been feeling starved. This is one game I might buy on dl to stop me putting the disc in every time. If they don’t charge a ridiculous amount for it compared to the disc version.

DecoyMantis 19 February, 2014 @ 9:32 pm   48

I’m in need of clarification here.

- Please be aware that after transferring to the PS4 you will be unable to play the PS3 version using your existing copy.
Why does my PS3 copy become voided? I have my PS3 as a back-up in a different location where I spend my weekends. I don’t want to haul my PS4 just to play.

-Users who wish to play using both the PS3 and PS4 are required to purchase the PlayStation 4 version separately.
I understand if you can’t have them both logged in at the same time, but why is this game not cross-buy?

So I have to buy another PS3 version so that I have it enabled on my consoles? Seems strange.

young-tree 20 February, 2014 @ 12:32 pm   49

To anyone who can’t find Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta – FFXIV, I’m in Ireland and couldn’t search this on the store.
I went to store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com and logged in (Ireland site – i’m sure you can log into your specific country) and added the beta to my cart, purchased it (0.00€) and then went to the queue system on the site – Added the beta to my ‘queue’ for downloading the beta. It worked instantly on my ps4 and I was allowed to download.
Determination paid off, but I shouldn’t have to jump through these loop holes just to get the game.
I also purchased Rayman Legends, but I had to search on the store for this, the ‘New Content’ is still showing Tombraider etc.
Can we get that fixed please Jared?

So, the ps4 system will allow for Mouse and Keyboard. But is that only a special Playstation 4 mouse and keyboard or could I use the mouse and keyboard that I already have? and just plug them in to the usb slots on the PS4?

Load all