Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 6:08pm

The Last of Us: Left Behind DLC is out today

Check out the brand new launch trailer

It’s been an incredible February. On the same night, The Last of Us won big at the 41st annual Annie Awards and the 2014 Writers Guild Awards. Five days later, we took home ten awards including Game of the Year, Adventure Game of the Year, Outstanding Character Performance by Ashley Johnson for her role as Ellie, and many others at the 17th annual DICE Awards.

To date we’ve received over 230 Game of the Year picks around the globe. We are deeply honoured and humbled to receive such high praise and recognition from our peers and industry fans. On behalf of everyone that worked on The Last of Us, thank you!

We’re proud to continue this strong month by releasing our first ever single-player downloadable story campaign, The Last of Us: Left Behind. Unless you’re on a media blackout check out the launch trailer above for Left Behind.

Left Behind tells the story of Ellie and Riley. It continues the themes of survival, loyalty, and love that we explored in the full game. We wanted to dig deeper into the events that transformed Ellie into the fighter players were introduced to on her fateful meeting with Joel. What does it mean for two teenagers to survive in a world that offers little hope? How far will you go to save yourself? How far will you go to save the ones you love?

While you might think you know how Left Behind ends, there are plenty of surprises and insights into who Ellie is. Fans of The Last of Us will not want to miss this new chapter that ties directly into the main story.

The Last of Us: Left Behind drops today at 6.00am GMT globally! At that time it’ll be available on the PlayStation Store in your region. It’s a hefty 5GB so get ready early to download and be the first to play it!

After you’ve finished Left Behind, write down those burning questions as we’ll be holding a Reddit AMA on Friday, 21st February at 10.30pm GMT.

If you still haven’t played the full game, there are regional PlayStation Network sales happening that offer The Last of Us and our Season Pass bundled at the best value. Buy it online and enjoy the complete story.

Left Behind is really something special. It is one of the most polished single-player experiences we’ve ever crafted. We are super proud of the quality of the gameplay and the depth of the story.

And once again, thank you making The Last of Us so successful. None of this would be possible without your support of the game.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

40 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Kiil_la_Cour 13 February, 2014 @ 6:20 pm   1

This game is my all time favorite.., sadly I have to boot up my old ps3 to play this DLC. But that’s the way it is. Can’t wait till the morning.

6am is lame. Why not 12am?

Not to discredit you guys either as I think you do amazing work, but I think it’s very backwards for Season Pass owners to be unable to pre-download the DLC.

If I spent £11.99 today and pre-ordered Left Behind (and I wasn’t a season pass owner), I could already have it downloaded and ready to go for tomorrow at 6am (!).

Which brings me to my next point, why the wait till 6am? I assume because we have for North America to hit midnight because they’re clearly the most important.

They’ll get to play Left Behind at 12:01 in the morning but we in the UK have to wait until 6am, and then you have to wait for it to download because lack of pre-downloading.

Since it’s Valentine’s day tomorrow I will say this : I LOVE YOU NAUGHTY DOG !!! The Last of Us is my favorite game of all time and I’m really looking forward to the DLC. I have never been so excited for a piece of DLC in my entire life !

So, I see Neil Druckman says that the trailer contains spoilers?
Think anyone would be able to give an idea of how spoilery there are? I can’t play this until maybe next week, and a trailer would be so sweet! :}

tr-fan-4-ever 13 February, 2014 @ 7:10 pm   6

Downloaded the DLC yesterday and waiting tomorrow (8:00 AM) to play. Great!

RemingtonInk 13 February, 2014 @ 7:25 pm   7

Will the DLC have day one trophies?

RemingtonInk 13 February, 2014 @ 7:26 pm   8

Will this DLC have trophies day one? (sorry if double post)

Stonesthrow 13 February, 2014 @ 7:48 pm   9

Got the ps3 hooked up and can’t wait ><

@RemingtonInk

Patch 1.06 out soon includes 10 trophies for Left Behind.

By the looks of things this isn’t hitting for another 8 hours or so. That leaves plenty of time for you guys to do something for the season pass holders.

How is it fair that people with the season pass cannot download the DLC for it to be ready at launch?

Do something about this!

Question, if I bought the season pass would the ps3 automatically download this dlc during the automatic update?

Yeah, it’s pretty (CENSORED) that Season Pass Holders seem to be getting shafted ATM. If I would have known this would happen I wouldn’t have bothered buying it and just preordred it today.

I’m really looking forward to this. I have the season pass so I’ll have to get up early to get it in the download queue! 5GB will take a while, but it’s looking to be worth the wait

SpiderMike_X 14 February, 2014 @ 12:02 am   15

I wouldn’t be so eager tbh. Already had my hands on this, thanks to a Eurogamer staffer and it’s roughly 2 hours long. 12 quid for 2 hours is a bit of a rip. Sure you can paw over every environment but I paced myself, just like in the core game, I took it what I needed and was enjoying myself, then it ended. It wasn’t worth £11.99. More like £7.99 and ND know they’re just cashing in on the popularity of the franchise and not charging fairly. Thankfully that woe is past me, but i pity the loyalists who will be dissatisfied with this, at the end of the day.

@CEK111
It’s a spoiler in the sense that it starts with a quote from one of the scenes, aside from the fact that these characters are present, it doesn’t really spoil anything from the main story.

@SpiderMike_X
2 extra hours of a great game is certainly worth that price, you often pay full price for games that last 8-10 hours don’t you?

LeftMonocle 14 February, 2014 @ 10:28 am   17

At the start of Last of Us, wasn’t Ellie really gun shy? Makes me wonder what the combat will be like, or is Riley doing all the shooting?

I can’t get this to work. Left behind doesn’t show up in the game DLC list. If I go to the store I can download it and install it, but it doesn’t unlock I the game. UK PSN account here. Is there an issue? Game is digital (bought yesterday in the sale) and patched to the latest version with the ‘left behind’ menu item

willbillbill 14 February, 2014 @ 11:39 am   19

Came here to see when the DLC drops, stayed for the new site layout. When did this happen, looks great

Handige_Harry 14 February, 2014 @ 11:45 am   20

Downloading it now! Cant wait to play it!

kokkoalex21 14 February, 2014 @ 12:34 pm   21

είναι το αγαπημένο μ παιχνιδιών το τερμάτισα μέσα σε 10 μέρες και θες να το αγοράσω και το the last of us και το καινούριο

Loved TLoU!

Anyway 15 fifteen euros are a lot of money for a dlc.

SpiderMike_X 14 February, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   23

@DarkV68 – I pay full price for games that interest me and I have a keen passion to play, regardless of length. The issue isn’t a full price game. It’s two hours of DLC. Additional content. Premium extras. And please don’t talk down to me like my first experience with a PlayStation was 5 minutes ago. I12 pound for 2 hours of gameplay is a BIG ask from a community that expects to get what they pay for. I pay 6-8 pound to sit in a cinema seat and be thoroughly entertained from anywhere between an hour and 45 mins to 2 and a half hours, and 75% of the time I get what I pay for. HAD I paid the 12 pound, my complaints with the length of the DLC would have been no different than has I exited a cinema after having to have paid to see something as awful as Ghost Rider 2, and while mine may be a singular voice at the moment, it’s one that is beginning to echo if you read various other gaming fanzines comments sections for this DLC. A lot of people are equally unimpressed with how little this offers for so great a price point.

SpiderMike_X 14 February, 2014 @ 2:46 pm   24

As a comparison, Journey offers the same amount of playtime as this DLC, yet that’s a fully fleshed out game. This just feels like a chapter pulled out of book and isn’t ENTIRELY composed of ‘new’ footage, either.

I comment ND for TLoU, I truly do. I have nothing but love for the franchise and their past endeavours. I’m still hanging onto the hope of a next gen J&D game, but with regard to the price point vs value for money (which EVERYONE is looking for unless you blindly throw money at the name and not the product) £12 is a big as and not truly worth every pound.

Heaven_or_Hell15 14 February, 2014 @ 3:42 pm   25

The DLC won’t start when I click on it on the TLOU title screen. I’ve downloaded the DLC 3 times now and installed it 3 times in a row but again and again when I click on “Left Behind”, it just goes to the online shop for TLOU. The game is updated to 1.06. My main game is purchased in France and the DLC has been purchased off the French PS Store.
What gives :) ?

I’ve been looking forward to this DLC. For a while, as I don’t do multiplayer , but I can’t download it because the store crashes every time that I try. I’ve given up now.

TheJungler 14 February, 2014 @ 4:57 pm   27

Same problem here as KlawUK and Heaven_or_Hell15, I bought it in the store last night (when it still said ‘pre-order’, but it let me download it anyway), then today when I try to launch it it just takes me to the ‘store’ list of the main menu, and weirdly Left Behind isn’t even on the list, but the Network Pass is which I also have – and that says ‘purchased’ below it.

One problem I had is normally when I buy a game it prompts me to add funds to wallet as I buy it, but for Left Behind it didn’t, so when I woke up this morning (even though the DLC has been downloaded and installed) I had an email from SEN saying ‘not enough funds in your wallet’, so I topped up my wallet but the funds still haven’t been taken, and there’s no way to prompt it to manually.

Is this the problem? Do I have to wait for SEN to eventually decide to try to take my money before I can play it? Or is it something else? Because I really want to play it either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.

Silents21 14 February, 2014 @ 5:37 pm   28

This is friggin ridiculous I pre ordered this and downloaded it, then as a poster above said received an e-mail telling me that there was insufficient funds, I was under the impression that these would automatically be taken. So I cancelled my pre order and purchased in the store and even though I have the download it still will not work. I am now downloading again and all I can say is it had better work seeing as the payment has been taken this time and I better not get charged twice. I find it incredible that Sony seem to be making such a cock up of the launch.

Silents21 14 February, 2014 @ 5:40 pm   29

Oh and I find the silence from the blog staff deafening.

nulenvoid 14 February, 2014 @ 7:31 pm   30

$28 NZD is a bit of a shocker, when USD it’s $15 which would work out to around $18 NZD converted.

I would like to grab it, but not sure I like the mathematics.

JD_LloydLewis 14 February, 2014 @ 9:06 pm   31

Literally commenting as the credits role in the Dlc and in my opinion it was great, it’s as I expected an extension of TLoU to be, the one and only gripe I have is its length, I take my time with games like TLoU because there is a lot you can miss when you blitz it but even for me it took just over 2 1/2 hours. It’s a shame it wasn’t any longer really!

I wonder if those complaining about the ratio of price/length of gameplay are buying MGS: Ground Zeroes?

JD_LloydLewis 14 February, 2014 @ 11:20 pm   33

@Vashetti yeah but that has side quests, and additional content, I am liking forward to the 2 new MGS games but won’t be purchasing Ground Zeroes straight away if it isn’t worth it haha

Heaven_or_Hell15 15 February, 2014 @ 12:15 am   34

@TheJungler
I have found a solution :)
On the XMB, under the PSN icon, click on “account management”, then “transactions management”, then “transactions history”. Search for the Left Behind DLC and cancel your pre-order. You can now purchase it off the PSN Store. Don’t have to download it nor install it if that’s already the case. Now it should be fine when you choose it in the TLOU title screen.
Enjoy :)

@JD_LloydLewis

Ground Zeroes is shorter than Left Behind :P

Anyone having problems with the game since installing the 1.6 patch? half the time it gives me a black screen and the other half it takes ages to load giving me a black screen for about 3 minutes until tlou logo shows in the bottom

Just finished it on survivor, i think the ending credits were actually longer than the DLC lol,
I’d have bee disappointed if i paid full price for just the DLC, but i got the game and season pass in the 12 days of Christmas deal so i can’t really complain.

good but TOO short

Ok… probably the best DLC Ive ever played. Its short at 2+ hours but its SO packed with detail and amazing moments and zero filler. Worth every penny of the asking price and more. Loved the Angel Knives bit so much and all of the Joke Shop. The details of the DLC prior to release made me kind of indifferent but after playing it I couldnt have been more wrong.

ND is honestly the reason I never once thought about getting anything other than PS4, nobody else comes close.

The only bad thing I can say is something thats not the devs fault at all but playing with the DS4 worked brilliant except when you have to shake your flashlight. Since DS4 motion doesnt work with PS3 youre basically left with a flickery torch but its not NDs fault Im using an unsupported controller ;)

Ghidora84 17 February, 2014 @ 1:28 pm   40

Wish this had come out before i got my PS4…. TLOU is easily the best game of last gen if not ever!