Posted 3:00pm

Quirky platformer SteamWorld Dig coming to PS4, PS Vita

Acclaimed indie adventure launches this Spring

Hi everyone, I’m thrilled to be here – FINALLY! I’m Brjann Sigurgeirsson, the worst-named CEO of the worst-named game development studio in the world, Image & Form Games. I’m here to present perhaps the world’s worst-named game, SteamWorld Dig, but don’t let the title fool you – the game is GREAT!

Meet Image & Form
Image & Form is a Swedish game developer based in rainy, windy Gothenburg. There’s a dozen of us, and the rest of the lot is a bunch of brilliant, hard-working and quite childish people. I also work hard and am rather childish myself, but instead of being brilliant all the time I focus on hogging credit and interacting with you guys. You can read more about all of us at www.imageform.se.

1_tumbleton

Ya dig?
In our game, you’ll take on the role of Rusty, a lone mining steambot, as he arrives at an old mining town in great need. Dig your way through the old earth, gaining riches while uncovering the ancient threat that lurks below…

2_archaea_dig2

SteamWorld Dig is what we call “a mining platform adventure”. The objective is mining, the controls are those of a platformer, and it’s a story-driven game with a defined beginning and end. It’s been compared to Minecraft and Terraria, but those are sandbox games and not that similar to SteamWorld Dig – which is more of a Metroidvania type of game, if that tells you something.

You dig down, find gems and minerals, get back up to the surface, sell the loot to upgrade your equipment, and go back down again. Both soil and enemies get tougher the further down you go, and also other aspects of the environment.

8_vectron

6_drill_cave

SteamWorld Dig is a dense and immersive experience, and it contains no filler. It is designed so that the hours you spend with the game will be the best hours you’ve spent in a long time. :) The game has been nominated for – and has won – numerous Game of the Year awards all over the world.

10_dandy

SteamWorld Dig on PlayStation arrives next month
Now that SteamWorld Dig is coming to PlayStation 4 and PS Vita, we’re so proud we could cry. Having the game on a console is a long-standing dream, and we’re very pleased that console will be the magnificent PS4. SteamWorld Dig has already proved itself as a great handheld game, and it feels like the Vita was made for it. The crisp, vibrant graphics almost pop off the hi-res screen, and the controls are super-solid.

3_oldworld_acid_cave

When we first released SteamWorld Dig in August 2013, a lot of people immediately asked us to bring it to the Vita. But the port seemed a “long” one, and so we decided to make a stop along the way to release it for Steam first. That way, we would have single-screen play and HD graphics – just begging to be brought to PlayStation. Still, now that it’s done, we never thought it would look this good.

SteamWorld Dig is coming to PlayStation in Europe this Spring. We’ll hurry to bring it to Japan and the rest of Asia as well, but you’ve got to start somewhere…

Happy gaming!

5_tumbleton_shop

4_vectron_laser_dodging

7_oldworld_boozer_bottle

9_archea_run

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks great and as soon as I got to the bit of the article where you described it as a metroidvania style game you had my money :)

I own a. It’s and ps4 so do I have to pick a platform or will you be implementing cross buy?

HomessaHomem 14 February, 2014 @ 3:17 pm   2

Cross-buy and cross-save pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Great news! I loved this on 3DS, will double dip for sure.

chrisboers 14 February, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   4

Interesting looking game, and a very nice, in-depth article! Definitely one to watch as the release date draws closer! Hopefully it’s cross-buy?

Flying_Pig 14 February, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   5

Liking the look of this a lot. Perfect for the Vita.

kingofscotland 14 February, 2014 @ 3:28 pm   6

I’ll defo have some of this, is it an age thing when you start to enjoy indie more than AAA?!

Insta buy for me guys. Hopefully it will be cross-buy and cross-save.

caffeinedreamer 14 February, 2014 @ 4:26 pm   8

Will be triple-dipping! Hope it’s a cross-buy!

Cool. Enjoyed the 3DS version so this potentially interests me. Obviously there’s the HD graphics and probably trophy support, will the Vita version have additional content over the older version too?

Bought the PC version on GOG only a few hours ago during lunch break, but I’ll definitely double dip for the PS Vita version should I find the game as good as it seems. :)

VitalogyPJ 14 February, 2014 @ 6:03 pm   11

95% of the indies games when posted on the blog say in the title or the body text “acclaimed” but few live to the expectations in my opinion. So what I mean with this is, better not to play much with words while describing your game because it might get back fired.

I’d make some chintzy remark about my wallet, but all that really needs to be said is as follows – I already own this thoroughly excellent game on 3DS and Steam, and the notion of having it on the PS Vita, my indie gaming platform of choice, is seriously making me consider purchasing this game a third time.

To be fair, I’ve got so much enjoyment out of this game that buying it a third time, maybe even a fourth on GOG, wouldn’t hurt.

bennyrafal 14 February, 2014 @ 6:16 pm   13

Rick Dangerous (yeah you wish) + Spelunky + some shooting action. To be honest, i miss some good clone of Rick…

Witcher70 14 February, 2014 @ 6:43 pm   14

PS4 version you say ? I am so in !

these indie titles are taking over my life there so addictive @kingofscotland i totally know what you mean

Looks great : )
Day 1 buy for me, thanks Brjann and Image & Form Games for bringing this to playstation ; )

wholeegun 14 February, 2014 @ 7:56 pm   17

This is a great game, i purchased it on Steam a while back.

Seeing as it’s CrossBuy, i’m very tempted to make another purchase.

Great news. Saw this a few months back when it his the 3DS and instantly wished I had a 3DS or it would come to the vita. Will be a day one purchase.

Not only does this look EPIC .. the fact that the CEO immediately replied with “cross buy for sure” made this game a must buy for me !! Thanks Bjorn, really appreciate the Crossbuy!

Never did get round to getting this on the 3DS but will definitely get for the PS4/Vita.

Awesome news :) ! I will definitely be buying it for my PS Vita! Is it gonna be out as a physical copy or in just downloadable form?

Great news. Will play this on my Vita.

anunnakid 16 February, 2014 @ 3:49 am   23

Perfect for vita!!!!
Sold!

cjhill1836 4 March, 2014 @ 11:44 pm   24

Really excited to have this game on my Vita and PS4, thanks for making it cross-buy! Will there be local co-op on the PS4?