Posted 6:31pm

10 things you need to know about The Order: 1886

Ready at Dawn’s extraordinary PS4 action epic will blow your socks off. Here’s how…

Did you catch the brand new trailer for The Order: 1886 last week? Perhaps you read some of the new press coverage around the first full gameplay reveal? Well, in case you missed anything, we’ve picked out a few things you might not have picked up on…

1. Melee combat as you’ve never seen it before

Fight 1

Gunplay will obviously form a key component of The Order 1886′s gameplay, but close-combat melee encounters are every bit as integral to the experience. Developer Ready At Dawn is taking a fresh approach here, incorporating split second decision paths allowing fights to play out in a number of different ways. In the clip above Galahad goes for a knife, but it’s not the only way to tackle the situation…

“For melee, we’re leveraging some of the things we’ve learned in the past, even from the platformer days. We want to supplement ranged combat with something that players don’t expect. You’ll see more melee modes that will give you some complex options,” hints Creative Director Ru Weerasuriya.

2. High-concept weaponry that’s grounded in real science

guns

While the weaponry at your disposal in The Order 1886 might seem out-of-this-world, every single design in the game is based on bona fide Victorian technology.

“The more you get to see of the weapons, you’ll realise that they’re actually not that outlandish or futuristic. They feel grounded,” Ru says. “We don’t twist the actual technology itself – what we twist is its use.”

3. A different take on cover combat

Looking for a fight

At its core The Order: 1886 is a third person action game, complete with cover shooting mechanics. While you might think you’ve seen these before, Ready At Dawn is putting its own twist on convention.

“Yes, there is cover as you might have seen in other games, but we’ve added traversal modes,” says Ru. “You’ll go seamlessly from ‘full cover’ into ‘soft cover’ as you move away from an object. Imagine you’re in cover, you’re shooting at something and you want to pop out. You don’t just stick your head up, right? You’d still stay low. So we’ve tried to build a bit more reality into the cover system.”

4. The Order don’t mess about

Fight 2

Expect combat to be brutal…

5. Gadgets are important as guns

binoculars

Alongside an arsenal of weaponry that offers a huge array of combat options, you’ll also have a number of gadgets at your disposal. Here, Galahad is surveying Victorian London with a monocular in search of a fire fight.

“The Monocular was built for multipurpose use,” explains Ru. “We haven’t talked about all the different modes of gameplay in which it will be implemented, but what we showed in the latest demo is it being used as a looking glass, and to send Morse code. You can flash a signal to the airship to give your location.

“We have a lot of other devices like this that we’re trying to implement. Of course, there are always more ideas than we can fit into the game, so it’s a question of which ones will stick…”

6. You’ll use the Dualshock 4 in some unexpected ways…

morse code

As mentioned above, one sequence sees you using the DualShock 4′s touch pad to tap out a Morse code message to a nearby airship. Will there be other creative uses of the new controller?

“We’ve worked with the controller to test all the different things we could do with it,” says Ru. “The issue is that the more complex and involved controller inputs get, the more it removes you from the immersive core experience. We don’t want to use it too much; we’re only using it for actions that feel natural. Tapping out Morse code just worked so well.”

7. Atmosphere you can cut with a knife

knock knock

Ready At Dawn’s extraordinary tech plays its part, helping to sell the rich cityscape with fully interactive environments and advanced lighting tech. Look how the torchlight flickers against Galahad’s face as he passes. Impressive, no?

8. These are characters you can believe in

The Order

As hinted at in the trailer released earlier this month, Ready At Dawn is creating a truly ‘filmic’ experience, both in terms of how the game looks and the story it tells. The game’s four primary protagonists are nuanced individuals, with different roles to play in the twisting, layered narrative.

“The four characters have very different story lines – their past, how long they’ve been around, what they’ve done, who they’ve fought,” Ru explains.

“Mallory is the squad leader in many ways; Galahad is someone who’s been involved in the conflict for a long time; Igraine – she’s younger but still confident’ and Lafayette is the rookie of the squad. He’s the one who jokes around. He’s a little jovial, happy-go-lucky, doesn’t worry about too much. It’s a nice balance between the four characters.”

9. This is London like you’ve never seen it before

Police 50

Ready At Dawn’s “neo-Victorian” vision of the British capital offers a universe unlike anything you’ve experience in a videogame. Dark, dank, dirty and dripping with atmosphere, it’s a refreshingly different setting, and one that boasts huge potential for both edge-of-your-seat suspense and widescreen action set-pieces.

10. My oh my, it’s beautiful

looking out along the roof

Enough talk, just look at it…

Want to see more? Check out the video below to see new footage of the game in action.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

42 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

What the hell happened to the blog format? This new one is one big busy mess. Anyway to keep the old style instead of this one?

dark_angel69 26 February, 2014 @ 6:58 pm   2

Man I can’t wait for this game! One of my most wanted!

The game looks so amazing.

MaxDiehard 26 February, 2014 @ 7:02 pm   4

That isn’t a gameplay video. That’s a video of cutscenes with the occasional few seconds of gameplay.

Game looks to be top notch artistically and technically, love how many polygons are used for character <100,000. It looks like a fantastic game and I am really excited for it. I hope you guys release full on, longer, gameplay footage soon to put the doubters to rest…

#11 : Release date? (I’d class this as #1 really)

Great looking game! Definitely one that I’m keeping my eye on. But could we already hear what are the PS plus games of march? It’s getting fairly late. You’re releasing next IGC games next wednesday right?

MaxDiehard 26 February, 2014 @ 7:39 pm   8

@jerlaak97

Please keep on topic. You won’t get a response from the blog team here. The developer wouldn’t know.

Besides, we get March’s PS+ info tomorrow.

alice_push_lara2 26 February, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   9

there is only one thing I need to know about the Order 1886: the release date!!!???

dark_angel69 26 February, 2014 @ 8:10 pm   10

Actually I need to know the answer to alice_push_lara2 comment also. If I could speak to the developers right now I’d just throw all my money into them just to get it now!

wombatear 26 February, 2014 @ 8:13 pm   11

This game and Uncharted 4 are the reasons I bought a PS4.

Gavin_Rozee 26 February, 2014 @ 8:43 pm   12

I like the way MaxDiehard thinks he has authority on this blog.

On-topic, the game looks very nice, but a corridor shooter with QTE’s isn’t really anything new.

vonhammer 26 February, 2014 @ 8:56 pm   13

Been reading a lot of odd comments about this game. For some reason it seems that The Order is supposed to be the game that establishes a new genre, and revolutionizes the entire industry. A lot of other games that are coming out in the next 8-10 months don’t seem to be under that sort of pressure.

I’m just glad that RAD have the opportunity to flex their muscles on a home console for the first time. Outside of a PSP demo I’ve never played a RAD game, and I’m looking forward to seeing what they bring to the table. Will it have the impact that TLOU had? I don’t know, we’ve less than 10 seconds of a single encounter. I think it’s crazy that people are writing it off, or calling it great based on such a limited amount of footage.

I sort of get a feeling that this is being presented in a “you ain’t seen nothing yet” way. But I guess that’s just me wanting to see the positives in a game that I’ll hopefully enjoy as much as a TLOU, Papers Please, Sim City 4 or Rescue on Fractalus.

vonhammer 26 February, 2014 @ 8:57 pm   14

I will say that the graphics shown so far are a serious step up. That rooftop gif has a few little issues, but I’ve not had that giddy feeling since I first encountered Cronos in GOW3. It’s looking absolutely mental for being rendered in realtime.

If this is the start point for RAD with The Order, and they deliver a good game, then I look forward to seeing their future products.

Looks AMAZING :P Hmm i had to view this page on my phone because my old Laptop couldn’t load this page :D

Is that all pre-rendered?

Stonesthrow 26 February, 2014 @ 9:30 pm   17

Looks gorgeous. Musthave.

minimur12 26 February, 2014 @ 9:40 pm   18

@thefjk

To my knowledge, that’s all gameplay

So hyped for this!!!

@thefjk

‘Is that all pre-rendered?’

It’s all running live. You see gifs 5,6 and 10? I’d wager those are from the same sequence. I could be wrong but the player is controlling the Monocular during that. The sequence probably goes like this. You the player is looking for a location, when found you Morse code the details to the blimp.

Going off memory there’s a bit in the video were the character inspects a gun,. That’s another instance were you as the player are controlling that inspection.

Fred Dutton 26 February, 2014 @ 10:50 pm

They are indeed. I think the order they appear is 10, 6, 5. And yes it’s running live – the dialogue/story sequences are in-engine.

So in summary:

We shall stand. We shall prevail… and Order shall be restored. :)

JAMESRYAN19 26 February, 2014 @ 11:03 pm   22

I agree – redesign is horrible. Not nearly as clear as the old layout. I used to visit the blog every day but this is enough to make me go elsewhere unfortunately.

I will most definitely be getting myself a PS4 once this is released! Absolutely stunning!

Fish_Goes_Moo 26 February, 2014 @ 11:45 pm   24

Looks nice, but SCEE + 18 rating.

So can we assume it’s going to be censored? Just like Twisted Metal, God Of War, Last Of Us and Beyond Two Souls?

Ka05Hunt3rd 27 February, 2014 @ 5:20 am   25

This game ticks all boxes for me. So glad Sony got Ready At Dawn to exclusively have this on PS4 & I’m absolutely cool with this being SP only. You can really tell RAD are really passionate about this stunning and awesome game. I can’t wait.

Hexahedronaut 27 February, 2014 @ 7:51 am   26

This is a modern take on the knights of the round table yes? That’s enough to make to get this day one!

@Fish Goes Moo
I don’t know about the rest but the last of us was only censored in multiplayer, removing the excessive gore didn’t make it any less fun.

matirishhh 27 February, 2014 @ 9:28 am   27

ReadyAtDawn is a fanstastic company. They have my full trust in this project. Actually their Ghost of Sparta was my favourite GOW right after IIIrd. I really hope single player campaign will last at least 15hrs. Everybody should take an example from the Naughty Dog(The Last of Us campaign lenghts and replayibility), and knowing that RAD have them for their idols it could actually happen! This game looks mind blowing! This and Witcher 3 will finally push me to buy PS4

alice_push_lara2 27 February, 2014 @ 10:11 am   28

Fred Dutton 26 February, 2014 @ 10:52 pm

All in good time! We’ll keep you updated over the coming months.

hang on a second!!! that means this game wont come out any time soon?? oh no!!!!!!!

This game looks great. Will there be another trailer and if so will it have the release date at the end?

twinspectre 27 February, 2014 @ 11:15 am   30

everybody are talking about graphics , but what about Gameplay ?
it seems nowadays Filthy Casuals care is Graphic
i want a Great gameplay , Great Story , Great Music and Great experience
Filthy Casuals cares about Graphics

@Fish_Goes_Moo

The article said: “Expect combat to be brutal…”

The Order: 1886 will be censored in Europe, there is no question about it.

evilwitch83 27 February, 2014 @ 11:38 am   32

I’m not buying a PS4 because of the cut of the PS3 plus games while SCEA kept all 3 of theirs, our worse sales and the ridiculous digital prices in the SCEE region. For the players? Only if you have a SCEA PSN account.

twinspectre 27 February, 2014 @ 12:04 pm   33

GAMERS need to STAND UP and let them KNOW WE WANT GAMING TO BE LIKE 32 and 128bit ERA
TIRED OF DUMBED DOWN GAMEPLAY focused for CASUAL GAMERS
TRY TO AIM THE HARDCORE GAMERS once AGAIN

Very useful article about the game the #4 is hilarious :) I can’t wait to buy a ps4 some day to play this awesome game

iamdark1988 27 February, 2014 @ 12:30 pm   35

Finally a worthwhile use for the touch pad! Rather than bringing up maps etc… *yawn*

Well if that ain’t an example for good and justified usage of GIFs. Well done guys. :)

voltaire2501 27 February, 2014 @ 12:40 pm   37

ONE thing you need to know, Sony, if that aspect ratio and those BLACK BARS COVERING 2/4 OF THE SCREEN STAY, I WILL NOT BUY THIS GAME.

This could be my second reason to pick a PS4 in the near future. After inFamous, obviously :D

Do a good job on the background/story/character side and I’ll be on your side.

THE-PLASTICA-MAN 27 February, 2014 @ 2:17 pm   39

I don’t remember seeing most of those gifs in the gameplay reveal especially 6,7,910 (10 looked like a painting or artwork when it was still loading). Can you please provide us with the video they were taken from ?

Really exited for this game!! .. can’t wait to see more of it .. The only problem I have with the game is the black bars, I know it’s supposed to be a cinematic experience. . bit I “HATE” the black bars with movies, I prefer a 16:9 aspect ratio. I hope they change their mind and let us turn the black bars on and off, although I’m not sure if that’s even possible (without stretching the image out) Anyway, black bars or not .. this is a must buy for me. I just hope the black bars don’t become a trend ..

On an unrelated note … I can’t wait for Infamous to release already xD …

is the best game sony

nelsonskennedy 13 March, 2014 @ 6:05 am   42

FRED FRED FRED YOU SOUL IS MY!!!