Posted 2:29pm

Mercenary Kings PS4 release date confirmed

OTT all-action side-scroller deploys on PlayStation Store next month

For all of us here at Tribute Games, today is our second-most-awaited day of 2014: telling everyone about our FIRST most-awaited day of this year… the PS4 launch of Mercenary Kings, debuting 2nd April on PlayStation Store!

Mercenary Kings on PS4

In this action-packed adventure, you must choose between Empress and King, two members of the elite squad known as the Mercenary Kings! Dropped on Mandragora Island, you’re tasked with one mission: rescue the brilliant Dr. James Neil from the forces of C.L.A.W. (Cyber Loyalist Active Weapons) and prevent them from using the Mandrake Formula to conquer the globe.

You can be a lone wolf if you dare, or assemble your own team of mercenaries to take down C.L.A.W! Your crew can have up to four players, whether it’s on your couch or online. Thanks to your support crew back at Camp Crown, the side-scrolling action of Mercenary Kings gets deep.

The materials gathered during your missions can be forged into powerful cannons or sharp blades. With 300+ gun parts and more than 100 knives, the possibilities are huge! Will you craft a machine gun with mega-ammo, or a quick-reload pistol? What about forging a blade with deadly range?

Mercenary Kings on PS4

You don’t have to decide right now, but make up your mind by 2nd April because you won’t have any time to waste when you take on the legions of C.L.A.W.!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

30 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suzzopher 12 March, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   1

Excellent! I’ve been really looking forward to this. Good to get a date.

When are we getting new Indie games? All we seem to get is PC or PS3 ports that was released last year or even older games.

Was all the talk about indie games at E3,Gamescom etc just PORTS or what?

This year we have gotten one,YES one new PSN game which is strider. I mean really I like indie games but if ports from last year is all we are going to get then I will just stay away from these PSN/Indie games on PS4.

jos3moreira 12 March, 2014 @ 2:42 pm   3

I would live to play this kiss-4$$ game on my vita, can you make it happen? :)

Yannick Belzil 12 March, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

A Vita version is something we’re looking into, we’d love to get the game onto there.

Hexahedronaut 12 March, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   4

Day one, another reason I bought a ps4 was for this, massive fan of metal slugs! so I’ve been waiting for this since it was announced. Still looks amazing!

MoMo-Snip-01 12 March, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   5

That’s what I’m talking about, I’ve been waiting for this one. I hope it wont go over 10€ tho

pearl_bunny 12 March, 2014 @ 2:46 pm   6

When are we getting new AAA titles? All we get are indie games. If this continues the PS4 will end as an indie console.

Nazar_Ops 12 March, 2014 @ 2:48 pm   7

Looks awesome! :D Any chance for a VITA version? This game would be perfect on the VITA.

+1 vote for the Vita version. :) This game looks absolutely fab and I love Metal Slug, so it would be really cool to play it on the go.

mccmonkey 12 March, 2014 @ 2:52 pm   9

I’d take Indie games over the FIFA, COD and the like! And this would be pretty amazing on the Vita :)

theJJ88 12 March, 2014 @ 2:54 pm   10

+1 vote for Vita version. ;) Been waiting for this one, but I don’t have PS4 yet…

Noam_1L 12 March, 2014 @ 3:00 pm   11

Vita Vita ?!?! any chace seeing this on a vita ??

HomessaHomem 12 March, 2014 @ 3:02 pm   12

I WANT A VITA VERSION, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

blendercat27 12 March, 2014 @ 3:19 pm   13

I am looking forward to playing this. Shame it isn’t on Vita though. The in-game art looks so much like Metal Slug it’s scary. I hope you don’t get sued. I do love playing games like these.

Yannick Belzil 12 March, 2014 @ 6:03 pm

A lot of people make the (quite flattering) Metal Slug comparison, but I think we’re cartoonier while MS is more painterly-ish in their colors! I think our game is a bit more platformy (ontop of all those guns we have!).

Nice! Price?Plus discount?

Vita version would be sweet as well.

MoMo-Snip-01 12 March, 2014 @ 3:44 pm   16

[game on ps4] + [remote play] = [game on vita]

Unikronn 12 March, 2014 @ 5:53 pm   17

I will obviously be purchasing this day one but I would also buy a vita version as well…just saying is all.

aros2011 12 March, 2014 @ 5:58 pm   18

I would buy a Vita version day one but will pass on ps4 as this will no doubt be too fast paced to suit remote play. I have fibre but get a skip every 10 to 15 mins and in this game im sure that will be a guaranteed death. I would suggest building into RP mode that the game dynamically pauses If input drops or freezes, include a slider to choose how long we want the game to pause. This would make rp viable for this or any fast paces game, any designer that implements my idea please send me a code via psn messaging for your game. I have lots of other ideas too – its vital devs liaise with hardcore vita players. Good luck with the launch and please announce a vita version asap if its too late to change the remote play code.

Yannick Belzil 12 March, 2014 @ 6:05 pm   19

I’m seeing a LOT of requests for the Vita and be assured we’re taking it onboard!

theJJ88 12 March, 2014 @ 6:56 pm   20

Thanks for replies Yannick! Hope we see Vita version soon! ;)

Nazar_Ops 12 March, 2014 @ 9:46 pm   21

Thanks Yannick! I’m glad that you are listening to our feedback :D

NightRanma 12 March, 2014 @ 10:45 pm   22

I really enjoyed what I played of the early access on Steam, so I’m looking forward to the final product. I just hope I can get some Playstation friends interested, because I had no luck at all on Steam. :(

Chaddy_Summy 13 March, 2014 @ 1:15 am   23

What’s the point of releasing this for the PS4? It’s a poorly done rehash of Metal Slug

What i have to wait another month when it was supposed to come out in feb what happened?

Yannick Belzil 13 March, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

We talked it over with Sony and launching it in april would give us a bit more time to polish the game and give it better exposure (always a plus for an indie studio) so we went with that.

JinkJones 13 March, 2014 @ 3:55 am   25

Yann, im gonna buy this and tell everyone else to buy this on my site ird-ent.com tommorrow. Looks sweet and it better be! dont let me down bro!

DragonxTortoise 13 March, 2014 @ 9:29 am   26

These retro style games are becoming an excuse for developers to be lazy. What’s wrong with having this concept but having non blocky crappy graphics? This is pretty embarrassing for the PS4… Look at Resogun an old style retro space shooter with innovation, yet good visuals. Yes gameplay is important, but do i want to watch this blocky game on my 50 inch tv? nope. I’d rather see a nice sharp HD colourful version. Again this ‘retro’ visual is becoming an excuse for developers to be lazy. urgh.

Yannick Belzil 13 March, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

Pixel art might just not be your thing, but believe me there is nothing lazy about it, if anything, it’s long and meticulous to create. But it also happens to be what we love the best!

Does the game have interactive broadcast mode like Dead Nation has? That would be awesome.

Nazar_Ops 13 March, 2014 @ 10:59 am   28

@DragonxTortoise I think you don’t understand the concept of 8 and 16-bit games. They aren’t supposed to have “mind blowing” graphics. And it is an art style. I wish people would stop bashing 8-bit games. It’s an art style. It’s not because of a lazy job at making the game. It is ART.

Number9dream68 15 March, 2014 @ 2:12 pm   29

Y

Big fan of Meal Slug as well, looking forward to this game both PS4 and Vita please :)
Game Looks amazing!!!