Posted 5:16pm

Aztez blows up on PlayStation 4, PS Vita soon!

“Brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable” beat ‘em up/strategy hybrid

Hi! I’m Ben Ruiz, the artist and combat designer at Team Colorblind in Arizona. I’m super excited to announced that Aztez, the brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable action game I’ve been working on for two years now is coming to Sony’s magnificent, next-gen beast machines. For your own information, Team Colorblind is myself and also Matthew Wegner.

aztez

“Brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable?!” is probably what you’re thinking as your eyes widen in the dim glow of my audacity. But I sincerely believe that we are cooking up something you will like!

At its core, Aztez is two games. One of those games is a full on real-time beat ‘em up combat experience. We’ve piped in the feel and creativity of Bayonetta, the sensationalism and mobility of Capcom’s Alien Vs Predator, and the precision difficulty of classic Devil May Cry.

As the combat designer, I’ve been studying these types of games for years, and I refuse to produce and hand you something that won’t dangerously raise your heart rate and dopamine levels. I grew up in the arcade, and I want to do for you what the amazing developers of yore did for me with their coin-ops.

aztez

The other game that comprises Aztez is an empire management strategy game, and that’s where the aforementioned replayability comes from. We decided early on that we didn’t want to make another beat ‘em up that forces you through a linear narrative and rote platforming segments, so we’ve created what we feel is an infinitely more interesting vehicle for thrilling combat; a randomised, historical Risk-like. Haha!

It might be an overly unusual combination, but the way we see it, it can’t be any worse than grabbing more ledges or pushing around more blocks. And besides, if you do well in our strategy game, you might get to do some pretty profound history rewriting.

aztez

But, ultimately, Aztez is about the combat, and we want to make our mark on this generation of Sony consoles with our own signature brand of digital power fantasy, and we want you to be able to do it in your home or on the move. Nothing makes the bus/taxi ride to work better than cutting down a hundred legendary warriors and offering their blood to the gods in real time.

That’s it for now! Tell me what you think about all this and I’ll answer back in the least ridiculous way I know how. Which is still sort of ridiculous. I MEAN WELL.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first

DoninYair 17 March, 2014 @ 5:31 pm   1

The game looks beautiful! When does it release?

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:33 pm

Thank you! But we’re still not sure yet on a release date! We’re working on it as fast as we can and as soon as we know you’ll know! :)

zalwelgoedgaan 17 March, 2014 @ 5:49 pm   2

I also love arcade beat ‘em ups, haven’t heard anyone mention Capcom’s AvP in a long time. Almost silly to ask, but will this be 60fps on the Vita?

HomessaHomem 17 March, 2014 @ 6:13 pm   3

Looks great! Cross-buy and cross-save pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

Still not sure on cross-buy yet, we still have a lot of things to consider since we’re such a small team. I’m glad you dig it!

iamdark1988 17 March, 2014 @ 6:42 pm   4

“…the precision difficulty of classic Devil May Cry.” Never have I laughed so hard whilst reading that bit!

A_Nonny_Moose 17 March, 2014 @ 7:20 pm   5

I remember reading about this on Eurogames ages ago. Still not sold on the strategy/management sim thingy. You should really show that off at some point because it will probably be the deciding factor for a lot of people. It’s not a genre I like and while the combat looks fun I need to see the other half of the game before I put any money down.

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

We totally understand that, and we will when the time is right. Since it IS so important, we’re waiting to get our ducks in a row before the reveal.

CacteGra 17 March, 2014 @ 8:24 pm   6

Another indie pearl to be played on the Vita, that is awesomeness between my hands

CreditDue 17 March, 2014 @ 9:19 pm   7

Another day, another indie game announced for a Sony console

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:39 pm

Sony has been incredibly supportive of us little guys! They deserve props for being so good and welcoming us onto their machines.

DoYouLikeMyID 17 March, 2014 @ 9:37 pm   8

Finally! An indie game that doesn’t use pixel-art! This actually looks and sounds really interesting, and the artstyle is kind of reminding me of MadWorld on the Wii.

I’ll definitely keep my eyes on this :)

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

Right?! Since we’re fully 3d, we support oculus as well, and playing Aztez on the rift is amazing. :)

I’m glad you’re liking Aztez!

Porcupeth00 17 March, 2014 @ 11:41 pm   9

This game looks absolutely amazing! You need to get the word out! Show more gameplay videos, people like me will help spread the word

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:43 pm

Thanks so much! We’re only getting more revealing from here, so keep your eyes peeled. :)

Unikronn 18 March, 2014 @ 7:27 am   10

Looks nice, another vita purchase for 2014 right there.

Colette_F 18 March, 2014 @ 8:38 am   11

I have to say the trailer has me intrigued! Can’t wait to play this :)

MK24ever 18 March, 2014 @ 11:45 am   12

It reminds me of Guacamele, and that’s a very very good thing.

s4tns-dwarf 18 March, 2014 @ 12:18 pm   13

Will this be coming to ps3 too, it just seems that a lot of indie games are starting to avoid the ps3 now? This game could easily run so why not issue it to the biggest user base as well?

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

Since we’re a small team with a small budget we pretty much had to decide between the current gen and the next gen; we couldn’t do both. We figured it would be better for the long-term success of the game to be set up on console lifetime that just started. If we end up doing okay financially and have the time and money to port it to the current gen, we will!

Number9dream68 18 March, 2014 @ 1:53 pm   14

Yeh really interesting art style,love all these indies were getting,keep them coming,an as for people complaining about indies,unbelievable when is choice ever a bad thing.

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

I’m with you, bud. I don’t understand the hate. Haha! And thanks for the kind words!

Tagged_Deaf 18 March, 2014 @ 2:00 pm   15

Always welcome any indie games to PS4 and it does look great. Not on my highest priority thanks to incoming Infamous Second Son (hopefully it’s totally worth a wait!) and so.

Shall get it when my already huge backlog’d get shorter!

Ben Ruiz 18 March, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

Haha! I totally understand that. Hope you like it when you get around to it. ;)

Khaytaah 18 March, 2014 @ 2:46 pm   16

It really looks great!

FBZ1501 18 March, 2014 @ 9:09 pm   17

This looks MINT! loving the art style and action…. I’m hoping for cross buy – but then is that greedy if you’re a small indie dev?
Given the choice I’d pay a little more for cross buy, rather than buy them both individually if that makes sense.
Otherwise I’d just get the Vita version and leave the PS4.
Also it’s nice to see a blog article with plenty of replies and comments from the developer in it!
Keep up the good work and I hope it plays as well as it looks!?

DoYouLikeMyID 18 March, 2014 @ 10:45 pm   18

@Ben Ruiz

It’s compatible with Oculus Rift? Then I guess “I’ll definitely keep my eyes on this” was the right phrase to use, as my eyes would be pretty close to the screen, almost on it. (If I get an Oculus Rift, that is) :)

So how does the game work with the Oculus Rift? – Seeing as it’s not a first person game. Does the headset just kind of function as a screen, or can you tilt your head to move the camera or something?

The combination of action and strategy sounds fantastic.
I will fit sure but this. Great that you guys release it on next Gen.
Would love to get this on my Vita as well. Maybe a bundle package?
Can’t wait to play this. Keep up the good work (^_-)