Posted 4:00pm

Dragon Fin Soup coming soon to PS3, PS4 and PS Vita

Indie studio Grimm Bros brewing up a colourful tactical roguelike RPG

Hello, we are Grimm Bros, nice meeting you all! We are Ash Monif and Randis Albion, long-time friends and industry veterans. Over the last 12 months, we’ve been working with a small band of indie developers and are today proud to share with you our debut title – Dragon Fin Soup!

Dragon Fin Soup is a RPG hybrid, what that means is that its half Machine, half Kitchen or in other terms, it’s part roguelike (Mystery Dungeon) and part classic console RPG with a persistent world and story. It plays like a mix of Chocobo Dungeon and Secret of Mana and comes with two main gameplay modes. Story Mode focuses on storytelling, character progression, and plays more like a classic RPG and Survival Mode plays more like a roguelike and features ‘permadeath’.

DFS_PSblog_image3

Dragon Fin Soup is a turn-based game – not so much like Final Fantasy Tactics or X-Com, but more Shiren the Wanderer where the foes take their turn simultaneously with the player, allowing for more dynamic and fast paced gameplay.

The world of Dragon Fin Soup has been inspired by fairy tales and fantasy and is set on Asura, a giant Space Turtle. We are not trying to retell the stories, but plan to twist these iconic tales into a complete re-imagination. One of the main player characters is Red Robin. Although inspired by Red Riding Hood, she is quite different as the character you will remember from your childhood. She is a cheerful alcoholic making her living as a bounty hunter and sword for hire.

A year ago Robin lost her memory in a tragic accident and as she rediscovers herself and the world, she slowly learns more about her bloody past, the mysteries of Asura, and a twisted tale of betrayal and murder.

DFS_PSblog_image4

In Dragon Fin Soup we have day and night cycles, crafting, gathering, fishing, story missions, randomly generated quests and missions, different locations from spider forests, ice caves, abandoned mines and more. We also include 20 equipment slots for your weapons and gear, all kinds of abilities and magic and many other fun things.

Grimm Bros is a micro-studio of five veteran developers. Our small team has been working on Dragon Fin Soup for a year now with the help and support of our amazing friends and family. We have three great programmers, a freelance composer and one guy who is doing ALL the graphics, sound effects and design!

DFS_PSblog_image5

Bearing many awesome goodies, Dragon Fin Soup is now on Kickstarter to help us raise more funds for polish and adding a lot of fun features. Please check it out and give us your feedback so we can make the best game possible!

SUPPORT the Dragon Fin Soup Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1cTbc5U
CHECK out the official DFS website at www.dragonfinsoup.com
LIKE us on our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/TheGrimmBros

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 28 Author replies
Show oldest first

Artemisthemp 19 March, 2014 @ 4:07 pm   1

I have already pledge for a Copy :)

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 19 March, 2014 @ 5:03 pm

Thanks a lot for supporting us!
    This means a lot to us!

Looks really good. Reminds me of Rainbow Moon, although I hope it’s not as grindy. Also Vita version! YAY!
You had my curiosity…now you have my attention.

QuietlyWrong 19 March, 2014 @ 4:15 pm   3

Vita? Yes please! :D

SamiFFXII 19 March, 2014 @ 4:26 pm   4

On Vita as well?! Will buy day one, this is looking good. Hope all works out for you guys, looks beautiful with that art direction.

DragonxTortoise 19 March, 2014 @ 4:32 pm   5

So happy this isn’t another pixel art game. Cant wait to get this! :D

LucasKitchen 19 March, 2014 @ 4:56 pm   6

Totally looking forward to buy this game, it looks really awesome!

Must buy.

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 19 March, 2014 @ 4:56 pm   7

This is Ash and Randis,
Nice to meet everyone!
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!
We are very excited with our announcement and hope to make many friends here!
If you have any questions about Dragon Fin Soup, please don’t be shy to ask!
We will be around to answer any questions!

Thanks again!
Asn & Randis

vonhammer 19 March, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   8

Someone say rougelike?

vonhammer 19 March, 2014 @ 5:22 pm   9

Lol, nice one :)

Lexorooni 19 March, 2014 @ 5:28 pm   10

Can’t wait for this to come out!! :D

Awesome! I’ll be getting this, much chances of cross buy/play?

Jukebaum 19 March, 2014 @ 5:39 pm   12

NOIZ looks really promising.
Looking forward for the vita release!

LeftMonocle 19 March, 2014 @ 5:44 pm   13

Wow this looks really awesome, instantly excited for it.

That voice in the trailer though, I might have pulled a cringe muscle.

It looks wonderful but I think the attack animation and movement needs to be more exaggerated and dynamic. In the alpha footage, she looks like she’s barely attacking. Considering how tall the character is(her sprite compared to the world) I think it would be better to have her move more so we can see more of her design and make the battles more interesting to look at.

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 19 March, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Thanks for your feedback!
    The game is still in development and we will polish it as much as we can.

Yes, yes, yes! Did I say yes? Heck yeah I did. Everyone who hasn’t backed this, what are you waiting for? Gogogogo

HomessaHomem 19 March, 2014 @ 6:27 pm   16

I WANT THIS ON MY VITA!

This looks like a really great fit for my Vita. I love RPGs and enjoy a good roguelike too. I’ve just pledged to receive the game – I’m looking forward to it :)

This looks great! Would I be correct in thinking this plays a little like Vandal Hearts II?

Haven’t played that one but will probably go for this whatever. So if I go for the kickstarter which includes the actual game, which version of the game would I be getting? Guessing PC rather than PS4 download?

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 19 March, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Thank you!
    that is completely up to you really, you will be able to choose the system you prefer.

Shojimbo 19 March, 2014 @ 11:14 pm   20

“Dragon Fin Soup”. The title alone had me interested. Looks fantastic. Wonderful art direction.

EinishiCL 20 March, 2014 @ 12:08 am   21

The game looks nice, i’ll be waiting for the ps4 version.
Keep the good work ;)

Cannahuana 20 March, 2014 @ 1:55 am   22

Backed it on kickstarter cant wait to play it now

zprandzioch 20 March, 2014 @ 7:20 am   23

looking good, i’d love to play some sort of alundra type of game… hope there will be dungeons, traps and riddles… grets to the crew

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 20 March, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

Thank you! There sure will be Dungeons, traps and riddles! :)

whizz_pt 20 March, 2014 @ 5:40 pm   24

Looks very promissing… Anxious to the release date…

smile_taisou 20 March, 2014 @ 6:58 pm   25

Nice. When I saw this game on Steam Greenlight for the first time, I though how great it would be to play it on Vita – and now I’m here, reading this, wow… You really made my day with this announcement.

deathskitten 20 March, 2014 @ 7:53 pm   26

looks really cool :-) one question, do the cut scenes have subtitles? I’m partially deaf so really like having subtitles :-)

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 20 March, 2014 @ 9:33 pm

Thank you! All Dialog or any form of information is always displayed as Text in this game.

Icarus_dgt 21 March, 2014 @ 7:28 am   27

fix her creepy smile and you got yourself a deal. looks really good!

Inherentdragon 22 March, 2014 @ 11:44 pm   28

This looks great!very interested :-) now if only the next Final Fantasy went back to this type of look..

TeddyBearTwinkle 25 March, 2014 @ 8:12 pm   29

Ash Monif and Randis Albion nice looking game i wont buy it not my cup of tea but well done for making it

(((Buys 10000000 copys of the game for Inherentdragon))) instead

Ash Monif and Randis Albion 27 March, 2014 @ 2:32 am

Thanks for checking out our project! And thanks for pre-ordering 0000000 copies of the game! :)
    We appreciate that even tho some people may not be personally interested in our type of game, they still give it a chance.