Posted 1:30pm

Acclaimed skate ‘em up OlliOlli is coming to PS4 and PS3

And Roll7 is working on an update for the PS Vita version too…

Well, it’s been quite a rollercoaster for us at Roll7 over the last few months! Our submission process last year was pretty hardcore, with many a pizza-stained late night at our HQ in Deptford, London. The team were pretty much broken by the time OlliOlli came out. We had broken down everything that was ‘wrong’ about the game to such an extent that we had managed to successfully convince ourselves that the game would most likely be a flop, a mediocre launch at best…

What we were met with on the 21st and 22nd of January this year genuinely knocked us sideways. There was media frenzy for days, amazing review scores and, most of all, gamers – REAL people (not testers or our friends) – were playing the game and enjoying it.

There were numerous late-night emotional drinking sessions in central London as we essentially came to the realisation that we were a ‘proper’ studio with a hit game – it has still not properly sunk in for most of us!

The BIG moment was almost fate-like. We were out doing a belated wrap party on the project at our local in New Cross and at about 10.00pm (after many rounds of tequila) we found out via Twitter that we had won the GameSpot Game of the Month for January. Let’s just say that there were a few teary eyes by midnight. It was a career highlight and an evening none of us will ever forget…

DEVOLVER_07_02_14-9 DEVOLVER_07_02_14-21

DEVOLVER_07_02_14-24

We met with Shahid Ahmad and Spencer Low who help run the Strategic Content team at SCEE, and they recommended that we get the game onto PS4 and PS3. So that’s what we are doing! We have partnered with BlitWorks, based of Barcelona, Spain. We already have a first playable version up and running on the PS4 and a big screen, it’s like our little OlliOlli grew up and got some balls! It really feels amazing on the Dualshock 4 too.

Such exciting news deserves a big manly jump on a hill, no?

ROLL_7_07_02_14 86

OlliOlli will remain a PS Vita exclusive until summer 2014 and Roll7 is very close to getting the crash bug that some of you have complained about fixed. When the patch is released we’ll bundle in a nice little update that should put a smile on people’s faces too.

One last thing – if you are UK-based and you fancy getting your hands on OlliOlli and having a chat with us then you’ll find us at Rezzed, Birmingham (28th-30th March).

Check out our OlliOlli Development Video here to get more of an insight into Roll7 studio life! Follow @roll_7 on Twitter for the latest.

Keep it Indie and Keep it Sony in 2014!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Majik_Meerkat 24 March, 2014 @ 1:38 pm   1

Congrats Roll 7 on a great game and some much deserved recognition. One quick question, do you know yet if it will be cross save? I’m still dropping my rotations and using a dualshock would finally get me into RAD mode

jorispelgrom 24 March, 2014 @ 1:42 pm   2

A “nice little update that should put a smile on [our] faces too”? Hmm… Interesting.
Just a few questions about details: cross-buy (PS3+PS4+Vita, or just PS3+PS4, or nothing at all?), cross-save (to be patched in the Vita version) and cross-platform trophy list (one list for PS3+PS4+Vita, or three seperate lists)?
Also, one suggestion, if you’re still working on the patch for the Vita version: I’d love it if I could use the menu with my buttons (on the Vita). Any chance that can be added as well, since you are probably already optimizing it for buttons for the PS3+PS4?

Any chance that with the patch you can include a way to put the music on random, or lets you select what tracks play? The very best song (imo) in the game seems to be be right at the end of the mix and I rarely get a chance to play long enough to hear it.

jorispelgrom 24 March, 2014 @ 2:20 pm   4

From Twitter:
“For those asking about OlliOlli Cross-buy we’ll look into it, we’re still early on in the process but will let you know in due course” – @Roll_7

stefchauk 24 March, 2014 @ 2:23 pm   5

@Tuimic, don’t you just hit triangle to change the music track? God I hope the update puts friends leaderboards in, not having that in a modern score attack game totally killed it for me.

HomessaHomem 24 March, 2014 @ 2:25 pm   6

Great news! Cross-buy and cross-save pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! I hope you continue to show some Vita love in the future.

VitalogyPJ 24 March, 2014 @ 2:30 pm   7

I was never, am not, will never be a fan of 8bit/16bit like games on a portable console that costed me €250 and even worst on a €400 home console.

I’m all for support indie developers, trust I am, and I actually funded a couple of kickstarter projects, but proper XXI century games, not 1980′s look-a-like games -.-’

AL3MERH_2011 24 March, 2014 @ 3:09 pm   8

cross-buy??

xPaRRoTx 24 March, 2014 @ 3:25 pm   9

I hope it will run in 1080p resolution :P

Mardolina 24 March, 2014 @ 3:32 pm   10

@VitalogyPJ

You have a point. I think PS Vita is great for indies IMO. If they are going to make these on PS4 too, that’s just desperation for attention and truly it’s not a way to go (although I can imagine there are ppl who enjoy them nevertheless). But it’s always great to have more titles regardless the genre and type of the games. Luckily we choose what we buy nowadays :).

madmanwithabox12 24 March, 2014 @ 3:55 pm   11

Vita loses yet another exclusive. Why is it always X Vita game is coming to PS3 and PS4 lately, but never the other way around? Arkham Origins Blackgate, Assassin’s Creed Liberation… better not lose Gravity Rush or Golden Abyss. <__<

Where are the big Vita games at? Show some love Sony.

ThugETH 24 March, 2014 @ 4:38 pm   12

I bought this game day 1 on my Vita and don’t play it since then as it force closes when I select a level and error reports to Sony.
Tried to get a refund by calling up support 3 times yet still no refund and the game still won’t run.

Nazar_Ops 24 March, 2014 @ 4:56 pm   13

What’s with the 16-bit hate?

Nazar_Ops 24 March, 2014 @ 5:30 pm   14

And honestly I think this is bad news in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong, OlliOlli is awesome. But I liked the idea of it being a PSVITA exclusive only.

Wiiman1225 24 March, 2014 @ 7:51 pm   15

I’ll be at Rezzed on the 30th and this is one the games I’m eager to try (along with Fez, Foul Play, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Worms: Battlegrounds and Gang Beasts among other games). I hope I get to talk to you guys when I’m there. :D

THE_FORCE 24 March, 2014 @ 10:46 pm   16

Is the blog broken for anyone else? The pic at the top looks all pixelated and blocky?