Posted 1:00pm

What do you get with a Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS4 subscription?

The full lowdown on what you can expect from your monthly payment

This week’s article about FFXIV is especially interesting for those of you that have never played a subscription MMO before, as well as those of you that wonder if a monthly subscription is really for them.

When you buy a single player game, the expectation is usually the same. Buy the game for the full price, and some DLC will follow for “smaller sums”. FFXIV is fundamentally different, as it’s an MMO, which will run for years.

With FFXIV, your subscription fee will guarantee you regular content updates throughout the lifetime of the game. The first update hit last December with Patch 2.1: A Realm Awoken, and we have just launched the feature site for Patch 2.2: Through the Maelstrom.

FFXIVARR_OTHER_v1_Patch22

Just a few features (not even all) that will have been added to the original game with 2.1 and 2.2 updates:

• New Main Scenario Quests, continuing your story
  • Two new raids
  • Housing
  • New Dungeons
  • New Dungeon Hard Modes
  • New primals to fight: Leviathan and Good King Moggle-Mog XII
  • A new difficulty for primal fights, Extreme Mode
  • Player versus Player Combat
  • Treasure Hunts
  • New factions (Beast Tribes) with Daily Quests
  • Tons upon tons of new quests of all kinds
  • New customisation options for your characters
  • Tons of optimisations and new features for the game

… and the list goes on and on (honestly, it does – you can check out the patch notes for Update 2.1 here). There’s something in it for everyone – no matter if you like to casually make your way through the game, or if you’re a hardcore endgame raider. And remember – all of that for just the subscription fee, starting at £7.69/€10.99, no PlayStation Plus required.

But it doesn’t end there, we’ve got a lot of stuff planned for the future. You’ve learned by now that there is housing – how about having a basement in your house where you and your mates can build your own airship? Awesome, right?

This is what you get for your subscription: A world that will constantly evolve and expand, for years and years to come. If you want to have a go at it, remember that our second PS4 beta phase will take place from the 4th to 7th April (yes, you will be able to carry characters created during beta 2 into the final game). We’re launching on 14th April, and if you want in, feel free to pre-order now!

Looking forward to see you all in Eorzea!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first

pinkplaybunny 24 March, 2014 @ 1:10 pm   1

What happens if you let your subscription run out, is it all still there and waiting for you when you renew it at a later date?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

Yepp, your character will still be there – so feel free to go on a vacation :)

Pinkplaybunny yes

Basket21 24 March, 2014 @ 1:23 pm   3

Will the subscription be payable with PSN credit?

Jamesyp00 24 March, 2014 @ 2:01 pm   4

Will you be adding in any sub options from PSN itself? It would make subscribing even more simpler.

lizziebear66 24 March, 2014 @ 2:15 pm   5

Your having a giraffe aint ya…so you pay 7.69 a month ..which comes to about 100 quid a year…what eejits gonna buy that

Lt_Fed_Brusque 24 March, 2014 @ 2:20 pm   6

I didn’t know we’ll get to build our own airship! Sounds cool :) One question though… I’m planning to upgrade my PS3 version to the PS4 version for free and continue my existing characters. Can I do this on the 4th April or will I have to wait until the 11th? Thanks :)

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

You can play from the 4th to the 7th of April with your existing account on any PS4, as well as during Early Access from the 11th of April on. Just remember that you need to add your game time code on the 14th :)

danielblack2002 24 March, 2014 @ 2:25 pm   7

…7.69 is a bit steep when we are already paying playstation plus on top of it….guess i wont be playing

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 3:29 pm

PlayStation Plus is not required to play FFXIV. If you have to decide between either of them, that’s completely up to you, of course.

AlphaChris 24 March, 2014 @ 2:36 pm   8

Is there a possibility that FF XI will also come to PS3 or PS4?

KaneTheGoth 24 March, 2014 @ 2:56 pm   9

@lizziebear66 don’t label those who pay the sub as eejits.. I’ve been playing MMO’s for over 15 years now starting from Meridian 59 and The Realm to EQ2… and simply put, you get what you pay for. I’m still levelling characters I played years ago with brand new content and the fact that there are staff working on the games permanently makes a huge difference. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no fan of paying extra, however, for some things it’s worth it!

Hi, just a question about the CE, is it any different than the previous? The physical goods that is.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

Nope, they are exactly the same. As a previous CE owner, you will also get the Fat Chocobo mount and the Wind-Up Moogle minion. :)

seldinhio 24 March, 2014 @ 3:39 pm   11

I actually liked the game when I was playing the beta. Funny you don’t bring up that one has to buy the games on top of the subscription. The biggest problem when playing the beta was the NPC quest text was unreadable on a large TV, I pretty much had to sit 1m from the TV to be able to read the text.

singularity7uk 24 March, 2014 @ 3:59 pm   12

The disk price isn’t that high (£26.86 amzon UK) with a month free on the subscription. This is the first MMO I played with the PS4 beta as it tied in with me getting a decent internet connection – and was very impressed, it’s completely different to me than playing alone and the fact that the content will be continually upgraded makes it worth the fee. And I can always take a holiday if November/December gets too busy with other games. Not tried it with Vita yet, but that my also be an option for when I am in the garden etc.

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

Well, then you will love beta 2 – which will be taking place on live servers :) Better look up a server you already have friends on, or want to populate with your friends!

Rytteren 24 March, 2014 @ 4:25 pm   13

so.. i just got my copy for ps3. i also have a 2 month paid card for the game. i will get my ps4 this week. how does the transfer to ps4 for free thing work?

my first MMORPG.. any advice for a newcomer in final fantasy xiv?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

We’ll notify everyone as soon as the transfer is available – I can’t give you a date just yet, sorry about that. Please remember that you must have logged into to the game on your account on a PS3 at least once before you can transfer!

And as it’s an MMO – try not to skip on quests (if it has an exclamation mark over the head, it’s worth checking out!), and give yourself some time to dive into the world. The initial 15 levels will get you acquainted with the quest system and your starting area. Talk to people, don’t be discouraged if they don’t talk back. Enjoy your time :)

AHMED1991 9 April, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

But you cannot transfer back if u wanted to i believe.. (not that i can see a reason to)

Bartala 24 March, 2014 @ 4:30 pm   14

Is the upgrade from PS3 to the PS4 version a limited time offer? If so, untill what date is it redeemable?

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Sorry for being so vague – I do not have a date for you right now, but it should be online for some time after launch. Just remember please – you need to have logged in on a PS3 at least once before the transfer is possible.

DaveInTheWoods 24 March, 2014 @ 4:38 pm   15

Rytteren: I really, really recommend you try to find a free company that cater to your playstyle. If you want to go hardcore raiding, look for that kind of FC, if you like to play more casual-like, find a FC with that flavour.
Myself I treat this game more or less lika a gigantic Final Fantasy that I happen to play together with friends.
With that said about FC’s, start playing and ask all your questions in the FC you join and they Will help you get started.

smallgaffer 24 March, 2014 @ 4:38 pm   16

It would be great if i could buy a sub with my PSN wallet..

Basket21 24 March, 2014 @ 4:55 pm   17

Yea its funny how he avoided answering 3 questions about being able to pay with PSN credit :)

Hergen 'Kahuna' Thaens 24 March, 2014 @ 5:01 pm

There are some questions I can’t answer, and usually it’s better to let them rest instead of writing something that might somehow accidentally be interpreted as ambiguous. Sorry ’bout that!

salvogdaze 25 March, 2014 @ 10:21 am   18

I will give this another go on beta 2 (which I thought I missed!). It ran very smoothly and worked great – apart from the text size – in the first beta, but I just kept comparing to GW2 in my head and it just wasn’t interesting or pretty enough for me. I will definitely give it another go and see if I like it well enough to buy it this time.

Regarding the Beta PHase 2, will we now be able to play the beta with our original characters? I’ve played it on PC and PS3 since the beta and I’d like to join my friends during the bta, using my original character on the PS4.

Or is this beta also taking part in separate servers like the previous one?

OmeAssassin 25 March, 2014 @ 4:25 pm   20

If i pre ordered a physical copy will i be able to play the early access?

RD_Rabin 25 March, 2014 @ 6:14 pm   21

Looking forward to upgrading to the PS4 client so I don’t have to use my PC or PS3 to play the game any more! The lack of AA on PS3 makes it look too jaggy and my PC is not ‘next gen’ at all. *coughs*

Zcostlow5 26 March, 2014 @ 7:16 pm   22

So it’s $7.69 a month plus the initial cost of $60?
I would really like to play this game because I grew up on FF games and this looks great, but those prices seem a bit steep. I really hope this membership fee goes down. Otherwise I don’t think I will be able to get this game.

Oriam13 8 April, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

what i do is i buy the psn cards on black friday because they are way cheaper, you can get a 1 year card for $30 so for $60 you get 2 years which is a really good deal. This is my 3rd year doing it but it could change

x3SLyONe 28 March, 2014 @ 6:03 am   23

Loved Beta pre ordered Ce,but will we be getting new servers with the release as its not really early access if we join old servers. We loose out houses if I understood the prices go up thanks

Elric_Francis92 28 March, 2014 @ 12:47 pm   24

My question is can we pre order the reg digital PS4 download?

BigtimeLeroy 31 March, 2014 @ 7:38 am   25

Yeah just got a ps4 how do I sign up for the beta for ff14 a realm reborn

winblad84 2 April, 2014 @ 11:15 am   26

When does the client become available for download on the european psn?

The_Red_Tide 3 April, 2014 @ 1:41 am   27

How does this crossover to PC? In other words, say I get the PS4 version, make my account and characters then want to play on PC with said account and characters? Is a full purchase of the PC game necessary, or do you just need the PC client installed and are able to log in with PS4 details. Anyone know?

lc2tymes2000 4 April, 2014 @ 7:22 am   28

Will I be able to pre order the ps4 version from the psn…. Because today is the 4th and it still isn’t on the ps4 store for per order, and I don’t want to miss out on the early access?

MONTYALMIGHTY 4 April, 2014 @ 9:42 pm   29

If I already have PS+ do I still have to pay the monthly subscription?

Fuzzy_ZOMBIE2413 6 April, 2014 @ 1:32 am   30

so will i be getting an early access code if i preordered from Gamestop? Or am i going to have to wait for the game to relese for me to get into the game

Injustice1203 6 April, 2014 @ 3:44 am   31

Will the game eventually be doing something like DCUO where if you don’t buy the subscription you would just be limited on certain things?

MikeyBoy02NY02 7 April, 2014 @ 5:06 am   32

I can’t wait until this hits the PS4!!! Day 1 buy for me!

DuskDave 7 April, 2014 @ 6:55 pm   33

NUMBER CRUNCHING: 1 million players paying £7.69 /month is enough pay each of Square Enix’s ~3,700 employees £25k a year just to support this ONE title…
FFXIV is, however, well worth the cost to buy plus a few months subs, but more and more these days we the customers are asked to buy an undefined product for an undisclosed but increasing sum of money… Ironically, the real fans of the game could end up paying several times what a casual player might…
What about a loyalty-based subscription so players who maintain a continued presence in the game are rewarded with a decreasing monthly fee?

Hi, just a quick question on ffxiv. I downloaded the beta phase 2 but I am now unsure if i’m supposed to buy the retail disc and re-install the game; or if i am to keep the download, wait til the servers are back up and get directed to subscription packages? I was surprised i had to delete my phase 1 install for the phase 2 so it’s kind of left me bamboozled. I would wait and find out but i want the early start that comes with pre-order!

Thanks

AHMED1991 9 April, 2014 @ 3:05 pm

Nope its just a quick update to the Beta 2 app then its ready to go =D

The thing that really irks me about game subscriptions is that it feels like they FORCE you to play a lot to get your moneys worth. I’d happily pay the 10 bucks a month if that gave me 30 days of game login time, to use if and when i please. Instead, you get a recurring subscription that leeches money until you cancel it, no matter if you play the game or not. It also makes it really futile to play more than one MMO as the subscription fees from different vendors stack up to insane amounts. Imagine if all games were like that!

W_i_i_U 14 April, 2014 @ 5:35 pm   36

Can I play FF xiv right out of the box or do I need to enter credit card info to get the free 30 days subscription ?

NOT gonna pay to play, allrdy paying PS-plus.