Posted 2:30pm

Your first look at fire-fighting roguelike Flame Over on PS Vita

Take on a towering inferno in Laughing Jackal’s procedurally-generated adventure

Hi everyone. I’m Al, Producer at Laughing Jackal and project lead on our latest game, Flame Over for PlayStation Vita.

Flame Over Title Screen

We initially revealed we were working on Flame Over back in August 2013 but after that, all communication ceased (for which I offer my apologies.) Needless to say, tons of stuff has happened since then, so here’s a reminder of what you can expect when the game is released later this year!

FO 2014-03-20 16-20-15-76

Your objective in Flame Over is simple. Just guide your heroic fire fighter, Blaze Carruthers, up through the floors of the Infernal Industries building in London, extinguishing all fires and rescuing all the stranded workers and – naturally – their pet cats as you go.

As you guide Blaze through this mazelike building on your quest to put out the deadly inferno and save the day, you’ll move through four different zones, each with their own unique features and hazards.

On top of its original setting, Flame Over is a game of several firsts for Laughing Jackal. It’s our first game created using Unity (which really is great by the way), our first game in 3D and our first ever action game. It’s also by FAR our most ambitious project to date, having been in the works for over a year.

In writing this post I’ve looked back over our initial reveal of the game back in August 2013. We have had a mountain of technical issues to climb in that period but we’ve defeated every obstacle in our way and made something that is pushing PS Vita to its absolute limits. Not only that but I’m sure you’ll agree it’s a game that looks great, featuring lots of stunning details and a miniaturised cartoon art style that we are incredibly proud of.

The screens accompanying this post are from the first theme only, and are missing lots of polish, such as final GUI, player animations and feedback, but even with all that said, here at Laughing Jackal we still think Flame Over’s looking great!

FO 2014-03-20 16-37-21-58

Flame Over’s core gameplay involves using equipment such as your mini-map, thermometer and fire fighting gear to seek out and extinguish the fires on each floor of the Infernal Industries building, in a race to complete each level before time runs out.

You can boost your chances by spending loot on power-ups and by rescuing the stranded workers and cats left behind on each floor.

All levels in Flame Over feature items that the fire is able to spread to and consume. The fire can also create backdrafts and unstoppable walls of flame, along with a host of other dangers. By mastering the fire and its hazards you may hope to defeat the inferno and get to the top of the game’s leaderboards with a truly epic time or cash score that will be the envy of your fellow gamers. Sounds pretty great right?

So, when can you get your hands on the game? As things currently stand we’re hoping to release Flame Over in late Q3 or early Q4 of 2014. We’re all super-proud of how things have progressed and we’ll be sure to keep our noses firmly to the grindstone so you can play the game as soon as possible.

In the meantime, from now on I’m hoping to reveal more about Flame Over’s features and themes each week on the Laughing Jackal blog. So, please visit and subscribe or keep an eye on our Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google+ pages where we will be posting all the news from Laughing Jackal.

For now, keep the home fires burning! ^^

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 15 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suzzopher 26 March, 2014 @ 2:35 pm   1

This looks like a lot of fun, definitely on my radar.

This brings back memories, reminds me of the old PS1 game, Rosco McQueen. I remember my local Argos had a PlayStation set up for customers to try out, never got the game, but thankfully I did get the PlayStation.

Back on topic; game looks fun! :)

Looking good guys, all signs point to buy on this one

arnaud_artgamer 26 March, 2014 @ 2:46 pm   4

Have you any new project for a Fighgting Fantasy ?
It could be cool on PS Vita !!!

Ross Brierley 26 March, 2014 @ 2:56 pm

We were very lucky to have the opportunity to work with Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone to bring two of them to PSN but sadly there aren’t any plans for more Fighting Fantasy at the moment.

aros2011 26 March, 2014 @ 3:02 pm   5

Sounds like a daily challenge is a vital element if you want huge sales. Daily challenge would make this a must buy but standard leaderboards arent a sales point for most people.

Ross Brierley 26 March, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

I can’t promise anything but I will mention it to the rest of the team.

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 3:26 pm

A Daily Challenge is something I’ve been thinking about myself. Watch this space!! ^^

Ac3_l1ghtn1ng 26 March, 2014 @ 3:06 pm   6

Hi AL, I’m a graduate games programmer looking for work, any chance you guys are hiring? :p

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

Hey, cool news for ya. I’ve been told we are looking at hiring for another project. If you want to send a CV you can email it to info@laughingjackal.co.uk for the attention of Daren Morgan. ^^

This game looks a lot of fun, will definitely give this a look when it comes out. I bet it’s one of those addictive little gems you can’t put down :)

This is Al from Laughing Jackal by the way. Login issues!! :)

Demonized 26 March, 2014 @ 3:21 pm   9

This has definitely caught my interest!

ocelot07 26 March, 2014 @ 3:21 pm   10

Looks pretty good another for my to get list.

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 3:24 pm   11

Ah, I am in in my official capacity – many thanks to the SCEE Blog gods. ^^

Thanks for the nice comments Demonized and ocelot07!

mellan_Konsten 26 March, 2014 @ 3:29 pm   12

It looks great, I don´t fully understand exactly how the game works but it do sound interesting.

Ross Brierley 26 March, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

Thanks

We’re going to be going into more detail on the various aspects of the game over at the Laughing Jackal blog starting from next week :) So hopefully those posts will give you a clearer idea :)

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 3:38 pm

Glad you like the look. It’s something totally new to us to be working in 3D, but we’ve applied LJ’s cartoon style to it and we’re thrilled with the results so far. :)

RISE_UP44 26 March, 2014 @ 4:17 pm   13

It looks like so much fun, I want it rite now..lol.. I hate waiting, I know i am impatient..

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

I am impatient and I am literally playing it RIGHT NOW. Well, I was. Just died typing this… T_T

DizzyQViper 26 March, 2014 @ 4:38 pm   14

“Flame Over is a fire-fighting action roguelike, featuring randomly generated levels, twin stick controls, fast-paced gameplay, permadeath and dynamic fire that burns, spreads and threatens the player (and other NPCs) in some cool ways.”

For a second i thought Burning Rangers was getting a much deserved Vita port after reading that. I’ll admit i’m a little disappointed now.

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

Ah, Burning Rangers! While not a direct influence I was certainly aware of its existence going into Flame Over, ditto with Rosco McQueen and ‘The Firemen’ on SNES.

Sorry to hear you’re disappointed but hopefully you’ll keep an eye on Flame Over as we move towards release? It’s in the same spirit as those titles. :)

Can’r resist a firefighting game. There was a good one on PS2 but can’t remember the name of it now.

I think it was yes, nice one thanks :)

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 5:16 pm   17

ha, no worries. we’re all about the rescuing too, but in this one you have to put out all the fire to get to the next level. :) Racing against the clock is always good. :)

avatar2_0 26 March, 2014 @ 5:24 pm   18

Will it have a special mode where you can throw fire instead of water? Please let me play with fire ^^
And add some trees also.

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

I’ll be honest and say this wasn’t really on our radar. ^^

The fire is set at the beginning of each level right after the level itself has been stitched together.

The fire can spread itself around rooms, and also new ‘drops’ can appear elsewhere to keep you on your toes.

Regarding trees, I promise to at least mention it. ;D

Cpt_Nutsaw 26 March, 2014 @ 6:15 pm   19

This looks absolutely amazing!
I was doubtful if I should re-buy a vita but now I’m certain it’s next on my list of things to buy!

Alasdair Evans 26 March, 2014 @ 6:38 pm   20

Glad to hear it! Vita really is the place to be for indie games. We’re proud to be in such good company. ^^

MonkehNL 26 March, 2014 @ 7:32 pm   21

I love rogue-likes and twin-stick shooters, so this is already resonating well with me! Fighting fire instead of regular, old zombies/aliens also seems like a nice change of pace.

Skullfaced 26 March, 2014 @ 8:42 pm   22

See, this is why I’m so glad I bought my Vita, these kind of games.
If this was on, say, PS3 or PS4.
I wouldn’t care that much to be honest. But on the Vita it just feels right, you know? A quick game here and there that’s always different, sign me up, let me put out some fires and save some kitty cats! Stat! Oh wait…that’s Doctors, what do Fire Fighters say?
Fire!!

Alasdair Evans 27 March, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Yeah, we think Flame Over is a great fit on Vita! As for what fire fighters say… um… hoses away?? ;)

matdub69 27 March, 2014 @ 6:32 am   23

I really enjoyed OMG zombies. I bought the mini version and the PSM version but for some reason the HD version was not available in Australia??? If you get it here I will buy it. I also enjoyed Orbit it was a funny enjoyable game. I enjoyed the mini version of Angry Giraffe. Once again a mini version was released but when a proper Vita version came out I was all for it. Then I heard it had IAPs. I am afraid a lost a bit of respect for you guys at that point. So if the this new game has metacritic score of 99% but has IAPs I refuse to buy.
On the other hand if there are no IAPs in the game I will buy it the second it comes out because it looks cool as.

Alasdair Evans 27 March, 2014 @ 8:13 am

REST ASSURED there will be no IAPs in the game! We could do expansions as DLC at a later date but the game will be content complete on release. Glad you enjoyed the other games too. Thanks so much for your support. ^_^

infernalmonkey1 27 March, 2014 @ 7:16 am   24

Gotta say, that art style is so refreshing! Love the sound of this game. Any chance of an Australian release?

Alasdair Evans 27 March, 2014 @ 8:14 am

There’s no reason I know of why we wouldn’t release in Australia, so YES! ^^

SHAKIRALOVER 27 March, 2014 @ 3:53 pm   25

I also immediately thought of Rosco Mcqueen.

SHAKIRALOVER 27 March, 2014 @ 3:54 pm   26

Rosco Mcqueen

Alasdair Evans 27 March, 2014 @ 3:59 pm

It’s hard to think about a fire fighting game and not think about that, or The Firemen on SNES. ;)

mrwaffle 28 March, 2014 @ 3:31 am   27

My first reaction was that this sounds really cool. My second reaction was to feel a bit uneasy since real life fires are kind of super horrible and the idea of cartoon civilians dying horrible deaths is… I dunno. Will have to see it in action I guess.

Atom-Sigma 22 April, 2014 @ 8:09 pm   28

Hey guys!

This reminds me of SEGA’s Burning Rangers. Would you say that this and a few other games inspired you for Flame Over?

This would be amazing on Vita (unless it already is on Vita, don’t mind me).