Posted 1 April

Everything you need to know about Joe Danger on PS Vita

Including news on a trio of surprise guest appearances...

Hello PlayStation Blog! I’m Alex! I work with Sean and the gang at Hello Games. We made Joe Danger, the super-colourful, super-challenging racey platformy series starring a fat little stuntman! People seemed to like it loads, saying all kinds of nice things like “astounding” (Official PlayStation Magazine) and “perfect” (Game Informer).

So, you (might remember) that we’re currently bringing Joe Danger to PS Vita, and I’m here to tell you that we’re nearly finished! Also, I wanted to tell you some super special news.

So first up, both of our big-console games, Joe Danger and its sequel, Joe Danger 2: The Movie, are running on PS Vita at a smooth-as-butter 60 frames a second, looking clean as you like, and they play so, so nicely in your hands. 60FPS has always been so important to us, because that’s how the games we grew up with ran. So it’s fantastic that Vita can make it happen, especially since it totally looks just as good as the PS3 version. We’re pushing about 400k polys a frame, which is pretty amazing. It loads real fast too :)

You won’t believe the work that’s gone into making this happen – our friends at Four Door Lemon have done an amazing job with squeezing Danger into such a small hunk of plastic. We’ve always prided ourselves on our games running perfectly, and we’re so happy that Vita totally lives up to it.

So what will you get with the two games? Let’s talk numbers. Joe Danger features 84 levels, including the Director’s Cut and Laboratory stages, and 25 characters to play with, and Joe Danger 2 features 85 levels, including 15 from the Undead Movie Pack we originally released as DLC for the PS3 version, and a whopping 35 playable characters. Seriously, there are dozens of hours of play in these two releases. It takes our tester, Gareth, nearly three solid days to play through them both. Honestly, this makes him really happy.

We’ve also brought loads of improvements we made in Joe Danger 2 to the original, so both games automatically download ghosts to race against, plus they have online leaderboards and there’s a full complement of Trophies to collect. We wanted these games to be the best versions you can get :)

“But Alex!” you’re potentially shouting. “I’m stoked to hear this, even if it’s little more than I’d expect of Joe Danger. But there’s one more thing I need to know about. The original games somehow use pretty much every button on a DualShock, so how the heck do you play it on a Vita?”

A fine question! We’ve spent a long time tweaking the controls to feel great on Vita, and we think you’ll like the results because they’re really simple! First, we’ve added touch controls for the menus and the Editor mode! This makes the games so easy to use. And in play, the only differences are that Circle now tricks as well as punches, while Triangle is a second trick button.

The bottom line is that it feels so natural; we’ve been racking up some crazy scores already :)

Okay, so that’s the main course. Now onto the pudding: that special news. Following a little pub chat with our friends at Media Molecule (and then some rash late night promises) we’re really excited to announce that they’ve have helped us to put three new characters in Joe Danger 2!

You’ll be able to play as Tearaway‘s Atoi and Iota (Tearaway is a completely lovely game that everyone should play, btw).

Atoi_1

Iota_1

And there’s some guy called Sackboy, too? Maybe you know about him.

Sackboy_1

SackboyJoe_1

They fit so nicely in Joe’s colourful world. Sackboy is in our game! Sackboy! It’s so good. Thanks, Media Molecule! Hey, maybe Joe can take a holiday in LittleBigPlanet sometime?

So that’s us. We’ll be following up with release dates really soon, but for more news on all things Hello Games and Joe Danger, why not follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and maybe come visit our website! Thanks so much for reading!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suzzopher 1 April, 2014 @ 2:35 pm   1

I honestly can’t wait for this! I bought these both on PS3 (also JD2 on 360) as well as Joe Danger Infinity, but playing the games on Vita is going to be so good! My wallet is ready

turbogeek421 1 April, 2014 @ 2:40 pm   2

I hope this isn’t an April Fool’s joke, because I always wanted Joe Danger on Vita! Liked it on PS3 but always had other games to play.

THE_FORCE 1 April, 2014 @ 2:49 pm   3

Another incredibly clean looking game appearing on the blog within a week….and 60fps on the Vita?

This is how gaming in 2014 should look.

aimeraya 1 April, 2014 @ 2:49 pm   4

Oh la vache. I can’t forget what a painful course to 100% JD1 and JD2 on PS3. But JD series is really funny, don’t miss it on PSVITA, but i won’t play it again until JD3 i think!

aimeraya 1 April, 2014 @ 2:52 pm   5

The most painful stage is called Insert Disk 2, hell………….

Alex Wiltshire 1 April, 2014 @ 3:53 pm

On JD for Vita, Insert Disk 2 is available to play from the main menu in a new feature called Ultra Hard Preview, which gives you a taste of the REAL Joe Danger right from the off! :D

(For those who don’t know the level, it looks a bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTPCG970HxI)

First of all it’s nice to see that you recovered from that flood!

Now I got a question, is it going to be cross-buy? Even if it is not, I am going to get this, seems great to have it on the go.
Any ETA ? ALso are you going for a PS+ bundle as you did at ps3?
Good luck with this and any future project :)

Alex Wiltshire 1 April, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Hello Rochala! Thanks so much! We’re all fine now :)

Joe Danger and Joe Danger 2 on Vita aren’t Cross-Buy. They’re actually a little different to the original JD1 and JD2 on PS3, with more levels and characters (like Sackboy, Atoi and Iota), plus a few other bits and pieces to enjoy.

HomessaHomem 1 April, 2014 @ 3:22 pm   7

I WANT THIS!

GrytEcHoG 1 April, 2014 @ 3:24 pm   8

Awesome and I really going to buy this game because of my favorite characters from Media molecules and as well for the great games Joe Danger.

CloudBelmont 1 April, 2014 @ 3:52 pm   9

Look cool! Probably native res too.

Hope we can see a update including capture PNG pictures on Vita, looks really clean with this way, do it Sony please!

assassin2k 1 April, 2014 @ 3:55 pm   10

Looks awesome, really enjoyed on PS3. Question – are they being sold together as a bundle or will you be selling Joe Danger 1 & 2 separately?

Alex Wiltshire 1 April, 2014 @ 3:58 pm

Thanks so much! Joe Danger and Joe Danger 2 will be available separately. There’s a serious amount of game in each one :)

Awesome to see this game coming to the Vita! Sadly no crossbuy so I will wait for this game though as I already own it for both Ps3 and PC

GrytEcHoG 1 April, 2014 @ 5:10 pm   12

@Alex

Can you make these two games in bundle as well plz with little discount?

Majik_Meerkat 1 April, 2014 @ 5:11 pm   13

Are the games going to be cross save, and or cross play?

matdub69 1 April, 2014 @ 5:22 pm   14

Motorbikes, explosions, 60fps….sold!

SuperJag86 1 April, 2014 @ 5:41 pm   15

This will be my third purchase for both of these but they’re such fun games that it’s totally worth it and a perfect fit for Vita!
I’m glad to hear you’ve recovered from the flooding woes and I can’t wait to hear more about No Man’s Sky.
Quick question, what games that have yet to come out are you guys excited about?

Looks amazing :), thanks for bringing sackboy, iota, atoi to JD2 ;)
I’d love to see Joe in Littlebigplanet one day. Based on the screenshots JD1/2 look great on the vita :)
Cant wait lol

Kub-666 2 April, 2014 @ 9:02 am   17

Sounds great. Now, give me some news about No Man’s Sky!!!

Basarili 2 April, 2014 @ 10:03 am   18

I certainly believe that it will be a good game, but won’t buy it again due to no cross-play. Bought them already and paying now again would hurt the wallet. I still hope you guys will have make some money.

cowbanana 2 April, 2014 @ 10:53 am   19

Are these screens representative of in-game image quality?

MonkehNL 2 April, 2014 @ 12:49 pm   20

Everything I need to know? That would include the release-date. :P

cowbanana 3 April, 2014 @ 10:16 am   21

I wrote above: “Are these screens representative of in-game image quality?”

No answer? I guess they’re bullshots then.