Posted 4:30pm

Incoming inFAMOUS Second Son PS4 update to add new features

Change time of day, toggle HUD, frame rate customisation, more

Ten days. That’s how long it’s been since I went to the midnight launch of Second Son here in Bellevue, Washington (just outside Seattle). I must have talked to over 100 people there, and so many more on social media and forums, Twitter/NeoGAF/ etc., since then. It’s been amazing to see the excitement and passion of inFAMOUS fans, new and old. I want to let you all know how much your enthusiasm and support means to us, how it renews us, and readies us to go try to make even better games in the future.

We also want you to know that we listen to your complaints. Some big, some small, but we take them all to heart. We never want to lose sight of how important it is that we listen to all of you. We can always be better.

So to say thanks, not just for all the support but also for your passionate requests to make the game better, we’ve started work on a few small features which we’ll be delivering in the weeks to come.

• Change time-of-day: Once you beat the game, a new entry will appear on the options menu to allow you to select the time of day! A very popular request indeed, and one we’re excited to enable for you all.
  • HUD on/off: Especially for those amazingly talented screenshot taking folks, we’re including an option to let you turn the HUD on and off.
  • Cap at 30FPS: Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognise that a group of players find the unlocked frame rate very distressing. So we’ll provide a way to ensure the game is not bumping up over 30FPS if that’s how you prefer to play.

Additionally, our coders and QA team are of course working to try and identify and resolve key bugs, and we’ll look at incorporating important fixes in the patch too. And who knows, if we’re inspired enough we may sneak a few other little things in too. Time will tell!

We’re all working hard to release these updates as soon as we can. Time wise, the earliest we could have the patch and new features ready is in about two weeks from now, so stay tuned for another update and we’ll let you all know as soon as they’re ready to go live. Until then, keep fighting the DUP, keep sharing your awesome screenshots (#PS4share on Twitter), and Enjoy Your Powers!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

60 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Woh, woh, woh. Hold on a second. Your introducing a frame rate CAP???!!

GrytEcHoG 1 April, 2014 @ 4:42 pm   2

Nice to see we get the option to change time of the day so we can see the world differently and capture those beautiful visuals.

Would like to see you guys add a shoulder switch like it infamous 1 and 2,love the features coming.

GrytEcHoG 1 April, 2014 @ 4:44 pm   4

Also would like to play cole in this world and ability to change weather as well so we can have the world dynamic when we want and capture/share those beautiful visuals.

AdamBogocz 1 April, 2014 @ 4:46 pm   5

I am not surprised about frame rate cap, I can understand that when you experience framerate drop from 60 to 30, someone might find it wery disturbing… I have noticed it, but I prefer 95% of buttery animations and sometime drops rather than have it locked on 30 all the time..

Its configurable option, not restriction :)

DiRTY8SUPER 1 April, 2014 @ 4:46 pm   6

The 30FPS is an option for players that want it. If you want unlocked frame rate, then font toggle it on..

TheMichaelKC 1 April, 2014 @ 4:50 pm   7

Good guy devs :)

Just got my PS4 and just got Infamous Second Son (both awesome!!!!) so please excuse my question but how can I see what version the game is and how (if possible) can I download the first ISS update?

xXCandyMan342Xx 1 April, 2014 @ 4:55 pm   9

This is excellent news, you guys did a great job on Second Son, and that you are listening to the players and bringing updates for the game is just awesome, so thanks and keep up the good work (^__^)b

Grey_Fox007 1 April, 2014 @ 4:56 pm   10

Nice one lads!

pinkplaybunny 1 April, 2014 @ 4:56 pm   11

I’m really enjoying this game but does it ever make me motion sick!! I can manage about an hour at a time before it makes me ill! I’ve had to start closing my eyes when i jump off buildings and waiting till i hear him hit the ground as i just get that sinking feeling in my belly! :-)

undeadwolfy 1 April, 2014 @ 4:58 pm   12

Is it possible that we could get a free-cam option in Second Son for taking scenic caps in a future update? The Second Son world is too beautiful to not have this feature. I’m thinking something like the Motorstorm games. Excited for the no-HUD option though.

xXCandyMan342Xx 1 April, 2014 @ 5:01 pm   13

Hi OttoT, congratulations on getting you PS4 :) to check your version of the update for the game on the main menu when you turn your PS4 on press the options button on the game you wish to view the information for, you can view the information there, I have version 1.01 right now, I’m not sure how updates work but I think the first time you start the game it will automatically download an update for the game if there is one, and after that any more updates for the game should start downloading automatically as soon as they are available and you turn your PS4 it doesn’t matter if you start the game or not, I just got an update myself. My version went from 1.01 to 1.02. I hope this help, have fun :)

Good news!

To quote Digital Foundry regarding the unlocked framerate: “…With Second Son averaging around 35fps, the player receives little additional benefit as a result of this choice. By limiting the frame-rate to 30fps they could have delivered an open world game with a very consistent frame-rate and controller response. Instead we’re left to endure a near-constant judder and unstable performance throughout…”

Porcupeth00 1 April, 2014 @ 5:02 pm   15

THANK YOU for making the framerate cap OPTIONAL! One thing that has annoyed me so much in the past is games locking at 30fps even though the system could do more. I prefer framerate as high as possible. I understand that other people prefer less jumps. That’s why an option is good; we can both be happy, rather than forcing a lock on everyone.

Excited about changing TOD and turning off HUD :D

Cpt_Nutsaw 1 April, 2014 @ 5:04 pm   16

Maybe we can get something to do in the game next?

Fierybassist 1 April, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   17

How about a way to allow us to go into a first person view for screenshot purposes, as well as after you finish the game, a walkthough in first person mode, where we can just go around in first person walking though the city.

vonhammer 1 April, 2014 @ 5:12 pm   18

Are we likely to get the mission editor for SS?

@xXCandyMan342Xx
Thank you so much for the help. I checked and I’m all up to date.

residentSteve 1 April, 2014 @ 5:39 pm   20

Traded mine in already never mind.

SimplexPL 1 April, 2014 @ 5:50 pm   21

“Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate”
Could you elaborate on that, i.e. provide reasons for unlocked frame rate? In what aspects is unlocked framerate better than capped at 30fps?
Here is a quote from Digital Foundry article that perfectly summarizes why I prefer capped 30fps:
“the choice to ship with an unlocked frame-rate has a rather negative impact on the game. While performance generally manages to stay north of 30fps, the resultant judder compromises the fluidity of the visuals and produces inconsistent controller response. With Second Son averaging around 35fps, the player receives little additional benefit as a result of this choice. By limiting the frame-rate to 30fps they could have delivered an open world game with a very consistent frame-rate and controller response. Instead we’re left to endure a near-constant judder and unstable performance throughout.
Furthermore, for users interested in utilising Remote Play on their PlayStation Vita, the unlocked frame-rate creates frame-ordering problems and more pronounced judder resulting in a markedly poor experience. Again, we can’t help but feel that a 30fps cap could perhaps produce better results”

Bonyman 1 April, 2014 @ 5:52 pm   22

Cool update, thoroughly enjoying the game so far and looking forward to capturing some lovely screens without the HUD.

Vashetti 1 April, 2014 @ 6:00 pm   23

Trying to be sensitive with spoilers here:

Can you guys please expand and improve on the final power that you get? It feels half-baked compared to the others, we don’t get to “jump” around like the other enemies that use that power, or use a lot of their abilities. It’s really disappointing.

LAILIEL 1 April, 2014 @ 6:03 pm   24

Thanks you very much for allowing us to turn the HUD off.
You should also implement some alternative control schemes, one for left handed players for instance, and allow to invert R1/L1 with R2/R2.

mmvc1998 1 April, 2014 @ 6:08 pm   25

I think inFamous Second Son is a way better game then the firts two, and that Sucker Punch listens to the gamers is a awesome feature too!

AlexAtkinUK 1 April, 2014 @ 6:18 pm   26

Hopefully the impending PS4 firmware update will also remove the delay between pressing share and taking a screenshot. I have tried using the function many times and not once got the screenshot I wanted due to several seconds of lag.

As for SS, I am currently working my way through the first game so this patch should be out by the time I reach this game, excellent.

MaxDiehard 1 April, 2014 @ 6:28 pm   27

I love that i’ll be able to turn the HUD off.

My only issue is that I completed the game fully in 2 days. I feel that taking out User Generated Content was a big mistake, there’s nothing in terms of replayability.

I’d also like the collision to be fixed on the Space Needle so it’s climbable at any time. All I do is slide off the top.

One more thing, please add a travel method to smoke, similar to neon and concrete so we can eventually move indefinitely while using the smoke boost. For Delsin’s most iconic power, it sure is weak compared to the others and feels forgotten one you get more.

Elric_Francis92 1 April, 2014 @ 6:32 pm   28

I like the idea someone had for two things. Add weather to time of day and they spoke about adding Cole just for fun. That is all good and well but I need to ask something rather selfish. Sony got great ties with Square Enix. Would there be any chance say Delsin grabs a blue or red crystal of turning into umm… Aaron for good and Sephiroth for Bad. Will take Cloud I suppose but still. I mean their are kinda like conduits eh? Well least they are that destructive if not more…. *thinking Sephiroth’s angel form when he cast meteor*

Elric_Francis92 1 April, 2014 @ 6:36 pm   29

Oh crap Suckerpunch I forgot to say thank you and you damn well keep Delsin Rowe alive. His char is sick awesome !

spiritdave 1 April, 2014 @ 6:36 pm   30

I don’t get people who want frame rate caps, but hey … I’ll stick to the high unlocked rate … the game barely drops any frames ever anyway :) Wicked about the time of Day tho! :)

Jswift56 1 April, 2014 @ 6:41 pm   31

Love the game and like that you are updating issues but want some story DLC if possible. Should easily be profitable considering the amount of people who bought the bundle. Abigail as a playable character would be awesome even with just her neon powers. You could also do Hank on the run which would also be really cool. Eugene too but leave him last ;)

Vashetti 1 April, 2014 @ 6:44 pm   32

@spiritdave

The unlocked framerate is much more apparent when you Remote Play the game to the Vita, there is clear juddering. 30fps lock would fix this.

Voodoo341 1 April, 2014 @ 7:00 pm   33

April fool right?

magikano015 1 April, 2014 @ 7:46 pm   34

next infamous second son game will be more awesome!!!!

Lt_Combo 1 April, 2014 @ 8:27 pm   35

Awesome updates … I also prefer unlocked FPS, the time of day changer is awesome (I dislike the time of day it is in after the game ends .. I would prefer morning or midnight, so really happy about this) As for the removing HUD option .. I wish it was included from the start .. I have HUNDREDS of screenshots haha. P.s. I wish it was easier to browse trough and watch screenshots on the PS4 .. my preview function doesn’t even work?! the Screenshots never load:(
Also please add an option to restore all the outposts to the DUP like with Far Cry 3 and blood dragon! And concrete power is empty FAR too soon .. !? I love the power, hate that I have to take it from enemy corpses while concrete is all around me .. wish that it auto refilled like with the final boss fight.

Porcupeth00 1 April, 2014 @ 8:27 pm   36

@SimplexPL

It’s an opinion.. No?
I prefer unlocked too. I’m a lot more bothered by the constant slow pace of 30fps than the “judders” or drops from higher framerates to 30. Basically the difference between always seeing something that bothers you vs only occasionally seeing something that bothers you. The latter makes more sense to me. If the former makes more sense for you, then okay, use the option. Just don’t force the goddamn lock on us.

Lt_Combo 1 April, 2014 @ 8:32 pm   37

@ AlexAtkinUK Dude, there is no delay in taking screen shots. The screen shot is taken the moment you press the button . But the screen shot notification takes a little longer to pop up on the screen .. !

Lt_Combo 1 April, 2014 @ 8:39 pm   38

@Porcupeth, I agree .. I prefer unlocked FPS too … but no one is forcing it on us, it’s an added option. Don’t mind the added option, tried to play with a locked FPS in KZSF SP to try it out .. hated it. Maybe it’s because I have my sensitivity as high as possible at all times so I don’t notice the inconsistencies as much? IDK … what I do know is .. I prefer the unlocked framerate over the locked one (unless it’s locked 60fps of course)

Richixz008 1 April, 2014 @ 9:27 pm   39

*COUGH* DLC DETAILS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

MaxDiehard 1 April, 2014 @ 9:30 pm   40

@Lt_Combo

I have the same issue regarding screenshots. I have a quick fix but involves doing it every time you want to view a folder.

Highlight a screenshot and hold in the Share Button to bring up the upload options, the back out to where you was before. Selecting a screenshot should now full-screen.

SimplexPL 1 April, 2014 @ 10:03 pm   41

“I prefer unlocked too. I’m a lot more bothered by the constant slow pace of 30fps than the “judders” or drops from higher framerates to 30.”
Can you see the difference between 30 and 35 fps? Because that is the average fps of infamous:
“With Second Son averaging around 35fps, the player receives little additional benefit as a result of this choice. ”

“Basically the difference between always seeing something that bothers you vs only occasionally seeing something that bothers you.”

I prefer 60 fps to 30 fps in all cases but honestly I do not understand what do you mean by “constant slow pace od 30fps”. 30fps has been standard framerate for a very long time, it is inferior to 60fps but I do not see how is it “slow”?

Scuffy_P 2 April, 2014 @ 12:44 am   42

By and far the best game out on either of the new system’s, and for a first generation title too…Second Son was/is amazing.

Regarding the frame rate, I personally never had any issues with it. After playing through twice and getting the platinum, I can’t say I ever saw some of the problems other players had.

My only issue with Second Son, is longevity. Once complete, and all the side “quests” are complete too, there really isn’t anything to keep the gamer coming back (and it’s not the longest game to begin with). The UGC feature from Infamous 2 was remarkable, and kept me coming back to Infamous 2 for over two years, on and off. But Second Son, as much as I love it, has nothing to pull me back it.

Horde feature with a leaderboard, however trite that might sound, could become quite addictive if constructed well enough. Anyway, I assume this is a re-post from the SCEA blog, so I doubt anyone at Sucker Punch will ever read any of these posts. No one ever does when it’s a re-post from a different blog. Makes all these comments kinda moot really.

Scuffy_P 2 April, 2014 @ 12:53 am   43

@Lt_Combo

What’s hard about viewing screen-shots? Open the folder, bring up a screen shot, then press L1 or R1 to move through them full screen, or thumb nail. Works perfectly fine mate.

Porcupeth00 2 April, 2014 @ 12:55 am   44

@SimplexPL

It’s slow. 30fps being a standard is unfortunate. And 35 is the “average”, which means that it goes up to 40, 45, 50.. And yes i can see the difference. It’s better than locked for me.
Why are we even debating this? They’re going to add an option. Lock the framerate if you want to. I don’t.

MaxDiehard 2 April, 2014 @ 1:58 am   45

@Scuffy_P

Some of us have a bug, that when we go to view a screenshot full-screen, we are presented with a grey screen. Screenshots just refuse to load. I’ve had this issue since update 1.52, still not been fixed.

Screenshots may work fine for you, but some of us have problems.

Blitzkrieg_exe 2 April, 2014 @ 10:09 am   46

Shoulder switch and cover system would be great. But probably too much to ask for.

DeclanRyan 2 April, 2014 @ 10:18 am   47

Awesome! Love these little but POWERFUL updates :D

I love just MOVING around this game, and was honestly looking for a way to take away the HUD to enhance the beauty, so you can imagine my excitement when you introduced this!
And time of day changing? Awesome!!
Love you, SuckerPunch!

GeoMarine 2 April, 2014 @ 11:48 am   48

Any ETA on when part 3 of Paper trail is coming out? I really want to complete it! :D

Porcupeth00 2 April, 2014 @ 1:56 pm   49

Cover system is the worst thing they could ever add to this game, don’t give them bad ideas.

Stonesthrow 2 April, 2014 @ 2:05 pm   50

Don’t know how the change of day thing comes in handy if you already beat the game? In any case, you can kind of manipulate it yourself during the game by not doing the main missions. Game starts of during rain, so you can do some sidestuff in the rain, then it’s night after getting the Neon and you can play some sidestuff during night..

Load all