Posted 2:00pm

New SOMA trailer dives deep into the darkness

Frictional Games unveils the terrifying setting for its new PS4 horror epic

It’s time to reveal a secret about our upcoming horror game, SOMA! So, before reading any further, take a look at our new trailer above.

dead_ship

That’s right, our next game will be set deep below the water’s surface – at the bottom of the sea. It was a decision which came very swiftly; Jens (co-founder of Frictional Games) and I sort of decided it on a whim during a meet-up. But it’s something that had been brewing inside us for a long time. Most of our earth is covered in ocean, and yet it’s something that we know very little about. It is an incredibly hostile environment filled with strange creatures, and it is right on our door step.

metal_eaten

Most of the ocean is devoid of sunlight and inhospitable to us. The differences in pressure between the surface and even a modest depth of 100 meters is enough to turn a human into mush. That pressure, that depth, is nothing compared to the true ocean deeps. And as if this isn’t enough, the creatures living there seem like they’re from another world. Gigantic squid, luminescent fish and creatures that are all mouths and teeth are only the start. If you dive down any distance you enter into a realm of monsters.

The ocean is an alien world, and we’ve only scratched the surface. We feel it’s the perfect place to explore in a horror game.

When SOMA is released on PS4 in 2015, we invite you to take a deep breath and follow us down into the darkness.

the_deep

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

16 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

seldinhio 3 April, 2014 @ 2:18 pm   1

I just hope the story is as good as the setting seems to be.

napalmjam360 3 April, 2014 @ 2:29 pm   2

This looks amazing I cannot wait to get stuck into this XD time to buy the BioShock infinite dlc lol

Game is looking really good and promising. Excited for this! Glad to see horror games doing a comeback. We really need them, they have been gone far too long!

vonhammer 3 April, 2014 @ 3:19 pm   4

Thought I’d say hello. Not watching any media because I’m on a blackout :)

Mindjive 3 April, 2014 @ 3:28 pm   5

Any chance you can tell us if it will support Virtual Reality devices (Project Morpheus on PS4, Oculus on PC) or if you have experimented with it at least?
Seems like the perfect fit, the immersion would make it just so much scarier, and I’m pretty sure I will only want to play VR games after I get it.

Idamagaron 3 April, 2014 @ 3:48 pm   6

Graphically impressive. Obviously, it’s hard to say wether it looks promising at the moment as there are no actual gameplay scenes yet, but the premise does sound promising. Would be a nice change of pace for natural predators to be the cause of the horror for once.

Keep up the good work guys!

dunderhoken82 3 April, 2014 @ 3:55 pm   7

PC and PS4 in 2015. Think it looks a bit DX9 …

Can just hope the graphics will be improved. Feels not so next-gen . Nah, I know graphics are not everything but …

declan__watson 3 April, 2014 @ 3:57 pm   8

Can’t wait to try this when it comes next year, I only played Amnesia in September and I loved it. I was scared at a few parts on it though. :)
The setting for SOMA looks amazing and so diverse cannot wait to walk into the world for the first time. Also cannot wait for the whole First-person Horror as horrors in first-person are made for the player to experiance it in a way that scares them really bad. ;)
Can’t wait for this bring on 2015 and keep up the awesome work Frictional Games.

CShasuki 3 April, 2014 @ 4:07 pm   9

Having completed Amnesia dark descent on PC, I am really excited for this game.

Nemaides 3 April, 2014 @ 5:45 pm   10

Really digging the setting. Really surprises me that the vastly unexplored underwatter setting is left so unexplored by game developers.

Voodoo341 3 April, 2014 @ 6:28 pm   11

It’s a bit Bioshocky

EAP3110 4 April, 2014 @ 10:13 am   12

Looks promising :) Could be a great match with Morpheus :)

blackout_pt 4 April, 2014 @ 11:02 am   13

Hey SCEE, I’ve got an horror game just for you.
It’s called: “SCEE treats ps+ subscribers like crap!” I believe you’ve been playing it for quite some time. Can you share your opinions about that game? Is it fun? Do you feel that it’s up to your expectations?
Thanks.

Stonesthrow 4 April, 2014 @ 1:06 pm   14

Dead space meets Bioshock? Keep an eye on it.

Dragonclaw91 4 April, 2014 @ 3:08 pm   15

I loved Dead Space. :) Bioshock i dropped at part 1, because Big Daddy was multiple times and not a endboss that discouraged me sadly. But i think i’ll complete the 3 of them. I got all parts but i haven’t played them yet.

I hope this will be a cool horror with low ammo and lots of hard decisions to make with ammo / (run/swim).
I’m disliking the horrors where you just get ammo on each corner. I’m keeping my thumbs up for this one!

GinCalls 10 April, 2014 @ 8:43 pm   16

Perfect environment. I have high hopes for this game. I will get it by the first day and I hope for the plus discount :)