Posted 5:50pm

The Last of Us Remastered is coming to PS4 in Summer 2014 (trailer added)

Experience the 2013 Game of the Year in glorious 1080p

UPDATE: Here’s the debut trailer following hot on the heels of yesterday’s official reveal.

ORIGINAL POST: Well, it’s no secret that we have been working night and day at the studio to bring 2013 Game of the Year, The Last of Us, to PS4. We’re calling it The Last of Us Remastered.

Moving our efforts to the PS4 has allowed us to remaster an already phenomenal looking The Last of Us in 1080p with a list of upgrades including higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, upgraded textures, along with even more improvements. We love setting challenging technical hurdles for us when working on each game – and this is no different. We’ve been working hard on The Last of Us Remastered to release a next-gen evolution worthy of the 200+ Game of the Year awards, not to mention the acclaim and expectations of our fans. We will be revealing more detailed information about the upgrades for the PS4 version in the coming months.

In addition to all the technical updates, we’re also including an exclusive director’s commentary for all in-game cinematics featuring Creative Director and Writer, Neil Druckmann; Game Director, Bruce Straley; Voice Actor, Troy Baker, who plays Joel; and BAFTA Award winning Voice Actress, Ashley Johnson, who plays Ellie.

We’ve released a ton of additional content since The Last of Us launched in June 2013, including our first ever single player expansion, Left Behind. We’re happy to say that the major content releases will be included with The Last of Us Remastered:

• Left Behind single player expansion
  • Abandoned Territories multiplayer map pack
  • Reclaimed Territories pack – details will be coming soon on exactly what is included

Last of Us Remastered_2D Pack_PEGI

Whether you are new to The Last of Us or have played it already on the PS3, we hope you are all looking forward to this release. We are!

You can preorder The Last of Us Remastered for PS4 right now from many of your favourite retailers and receive these pre-order bonuses:

• 100 Supply Points (XP) for use in Factions mode
  • Two special bonus skins for Joel and Ellie which will be unlocked after your complete the single player campaign
  • Increased Crafting Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Increased Healing Speed for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • 9mm Reload Speed Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign
  • Rifle Clip Capacity Increase Upgrade for use in the Single Player Campaign

Now that we’ve finally gotten the official announcement out of the way, we’ll be keeping you updated regularly about The Last of Us Remastered until it releases in Summer 2014.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

167 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

scotty2cky 9 April, 2014 @ 5:55 pm   1

Any news on what the frame rate will be? 60FPS would be amazing but locked 30 I’d be okay with too.

scotty2cky 9 April, 2014 @ 7:15 pm

Answer my own question. Neil Druckmann says they are aiming for 60fps.

haugenGAMING 9 April, 2014 @ 5:55 pm   2

what if you already have bought the game on ps3 ?(psn)

irish-sid 9 April, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Guess

Zepekit 9 April, 2014 @ 8:20 pm

Then you get to play the original on ps3. But if you want to play it on ps4, then you have to buy it again.

European_Gamer 9 April, 2014 @ 8:28 pm

I think they are aiming for the thousands of 360 converts to buy the game and not so much the people who bought it on PS3.

pandemix888 10 April, 2014 @ 7:54 am

Yes, I’m one of xbox360 converts and I’m really happy about this release.

dylanwiggan 9 April, 2014 @ 5:56 pm   3

No 60fps?

Dead1y-Derri 9 April, 2014 @ 5:56 pm   4

I wonder if they’ll do an upgrade programme so we can get the game at a reduced price if we bought the game for PS3.

DomusCaligari 9 April, 2014 @ 5:57 pm   5

Of course, it’s doubtful anyone who bought the PS3 version of the game on launch day are going to get any sort of discount or recompense for being a loyal early adopter, huh?

m1tch91 9 April, 2014 @ 7:22 pm

how would that even work, would you mail them your receipt?

mitchbel1996 9 April, 2014 @ 8:02 pm

@m1tch91
    Like this: you go to the PS4 store, and buy the game for lets say, $20. Download it, however, to play it you’ll need the PS3 disc.

kashif_786 9 April, 2014 @ 5:57 pm   6

It will be 1080p/30fps according to NeoGaf. That’s a shame.

m1tch91 9 April, 2014 @ 7:14 pm

now it will be 1080p/60fps according to NeoGaf, we saw something on the german ps blog.

mitchbel1996 9 April, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

1080p, framerate is not set yet, but they are targeting 60FPS.

GROZAROM 9 April, 2014 @ 5:57 pm   7

Ha-ha :D

ElTriturador_PE 9 April, 2014 @ 5:58 pm   8

Nice! I will definitely get the PS4 version! =D

almighty-slayer 9 April, 2014 @ 5:59 pm   9

Bought the PS3 version digitally… Hurry up and get preorders/preloading on PS4 so i can do the same with this version!

I didn’t love TLoU as much as everyone else (combat was clunky and kind of awful) but the story was amazing so will gladly buy it again.

pinkplaybunny 10 April, 2014 @ 7:53 am

I wasn’t overly impressed with it either, the combat was repetitive and dull, at least up till the point where you take over as Ellie. Found it a bit of a slog to finish…

MaxDiehard 9 April, 2014 @ 5:59 pm   10

I just want to know price. You’ll get a purchase from me if it’s at least £40 or less. Ports are certainly not worth £50 +

VitalogyPJ 9 April, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Totally agree! And it worries me not showing a gameplay video at this point, I mean they’re most certainly working on this remaster since they finished the ps3 version, so almost a year passed and not even a screen shot?

Zepekit 9 April, 2014 @ 8:25 pm

Why not? just because it’s a port doesn’t mean it isn’t worth as much as a new game. The good thing is, you get to decide for yourself if it’s worth whatever price they set. And just because you bought it for ps3 doesn’t entitle you to anything relating ps4. I don’t get this entitlement when it comes to ports/streaming etc… unless they are forcing us to buy it again, which no one is ;)

MaxDiehard 9 April, 2014 @ 11:51 pm

Because the current trend for games on Gen8 consoles is stupidly high prices. They think that just because it’s a new system, they can make us pay through the nose for it.

You assume I already bought it for the PS3. There are a lost of new players who have switched from Xbox to PS4. When high rated PS3 games come to PS4, they will want to try it out, but the high prices are still very off-putting for most people.

Ports should be at least the same price or less that what the original was at release, not above. That’s just pure greed and extortion.

MaxDiehard 9 April, 2014 @ 11:51 pm

dark_angel69 9 April, 2014 @ 6:00 pm   11

Not really much point buying it twice. Will wait for it to be cheap and maybe get it. Unless you will allow us trade our PS3 version and upgrade it

RemyX-1988 9 April, 2014 @ 6:00 pm   12

Good to see this. I haven’t played the PlayStation 3 version yet and aside from one game, I don’t really have much to play on my PlayStation 4. Will definitley buy the disc-based version when it releases!

I will buy it for sure when i get my ps4

Brodiesan 9 April, 2014 @ 6:02 pm   14

Discount for people with the PS3 version (the ole “insert PS3 disc into PS4″ trick is fine by me) or I’m afraid I won’t be picking this up. As much as I adored The Last Of Us I have so much to play that I can’t justify a second dip unless it was incentivised.

SCEE, you need to seriously consider this. Run the numbers. I’m sure you’ll make more money be rewarding people who have already supported this title rather than expecting us to pay full whack again. I might be wrong. I hope I’m not.

medenko1975 9 April, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

I also agree with this, what about us, who bought the media version?

fasTRapid 9 April, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

I’m all for this. Bought the PS3 digital release when it was on sale in January and haven’t had time to ever play it since. 9.99€ Upgrade program and I’m in (hell, I’d even jump in for 14.99€).

Deviovd 9 April, 2014 @ 6:03 pm   15

Will you be able to buy the Left Behind dlc separately?

ArchangelMike 9 April, 2014 @ 6:42 pm

Why would you want to do that?

If you didn’t play the dlc and don’t fancy buying the game again?

inertSpark 9 April, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

That makes no sense. Why would you want to buy the it separately when it is already included with the PS4 release?

mitchbel1996 9 April, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

It already comes with the PS4 version!

theVoltan 9 April, 2014 @ 11:15 pm

What he meant was buying the DLC campaign only as a standalone game (without the full PS4 game). I’d buy that.

Toman85 9 April, 2014 @ 6:06 pm   16

Easy I gonna buy this. Played both the standard game and Left Behind DLC!
Now in much more graphic fidelity, shadows, 1080p and hopeful 60 FPS. If it have 30 FPS locked is no problem for me. A visual masterpiece on PS3 is gonna get more of the good stuff on Playstation 4!

Fish_Goes_Moo 9 April, 2014 @ 6:06 pm   17

Still censored?

irish-sid 9 April, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Yeah, this I want to know. It’s determine where I buy it from. Fingers crossed the can just have a gore toggle on first start up.

a456435335345334 18 April, 2014 @ 8:50 am

Any Word Yet if the Censorship will only be present in Germany ?

Cross Buy please!!! Oh, and the leaderboards have to be ported over with all our stats left intact.

mitchbel1996 9 April, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Cross-buy? No chance, maybe pay to upgrade if you’re lucky.

Deak-in 9 April, 2014 @ 6:17 pm   19

Never got to play the Left Behind DLC because my PS3 broke before it released, so I really hope it gets a standalone release on PS4.

irish-sid 9 April, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

That doesn’t even make sense.

Deak-in 9 April, 2014 @ 6:45 pm

Sure it does. My PS3 broke. I’m unable to play the Left Behind DLC. I hope it gets a standalone release on PS4 (similar to how Freedom Cry did).

inertSpark 9 April, 2014 @ 7:35 pm

It is included as part of the PS4 game, call it a perk to buying it again. I am certain in my mind that you would be able to play the DLC from the get-go. This would make perfect sense because it is a precursor to tha actual game. I’m not sure it’ll be standalone though – I wouldn’t want it to be tbh.

TheJungler 9 April, 2014 @ 6:17 pm   20

Please can you confirm if the EU / PAL release will receive the same censorship as the PS3 version, or will you be providing a cut version just for the countries who actually require the censorship? As the vast majority of the PAL region do not require censorship of this kind, usually only Germany and Australia.

Please let us know in advance, at the very least, as the disrespect shown to your millions of EU fans during the initial release was unacceptable – we were mislead and lied to until well after release.

Thanks.

KaneTheGoth 10 April, 2014 @ 2:39 am

Jungler, thank you for your replies to my post a month or so ago asking about censorship — my net went down and didn’t get a chance to say thanks.

Completely agree with what you say too. The blanket EU censorship really put a downer on this game for me, and as a direct result, I’ve never played it. I don’t see why we should lose out in the UK because of the regulations in a different country.

DestructorSVK 9 April, 2014 @ 6:17 pm   21

YEAH! I just hope TLOU for PS3 will NOT be in PS PLUS service this year…

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 9 April, 2014 @ 6:19 pm   22

I am not normally excited about ports of previous generation games, but this is another reason for me to get a PS4. Perhaps it’s because Naughty Dog actually creates a good story and gameplay experience, without using graphics as an excuse for poor quality in those areas. I just hope I won’t be as disappointed as I was with Tomb Raider when it comes to pricing.

R1ck8r00ke 9 April, 2014 @ 6:22 pm   23

Fantastic news!!! I’ve been waiting for this day and can’t wait to get my pre-order in!

Jacko_the_lad 9 April, 2014 @ 6:27 pm   24

Yeah, because I bought a PS4 to play PS3 games. :|

medenko1975 9 April, 2014 @ 6:36 pm

wait for 100 games this year :D

ArchangelMike 9 April, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

Dude, it’s not going to be a PS3 game when ND are finished with it.

Jacko_the_lad 9 April, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

You’re right. It will be a PS3 game with slightly better graphics. Oh yay.

If people had any sense they wouldn’t support this money-grabbing garbage.

m1tch91 9 April, 2014 @ 7:26 pm

don’t cry; there are plenty next gen exclusives and ps4 first/third party exclusives on the way.

Be glad they are doing this for people that didnt have a ps3 or have already sold theirs.

JediKnight246 9 April, 2014 @ 7:30 pm

Don’t buy it if you’re not interested. It’s not like this will somehow hold back games that were PS4 games to begin with. I can see this being popular with people who haven’t played TLOU on PS3. Or people who had an Xbox 360 the last time around but got a PS4 this time and don’t want to buy a PS3 for just one game.

I wouldn’t not watch a film just because it was originally released before 2007 so I don’t see why people have this attitude with games. They’re not being made to buy it if they already played it before, it’s just opening up an existing game to newcomers.

inertSpark 9 April, 2014 @ 7:41 pm

People have been asking Sony since the PS4 was released – heck, since TLOU was released, whether the game was going to be released on PS4. The consumers asked and the producer delivered, and yet you seem to be hurt by this? You could always, you know, not.. buy.. it. Or better still, sell your PS4, because it ain’t for you buddy.

AlexAtkinUK 9 April, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

Except the same game with a much higher resolution and frame rate (and thus faster controller response) DOES improve the game play. Heck, the lighting and texture improvements alone can make seeing what you are meant to be doing easier.

Only yesterday I bought Final Fantasy XIV on PS3 after trying the PS4 beta. Its practically unplayable in comparison, the frame rate is so low, the resolution and graphical quality is so poor. Roll on Friday when I can switch back to the PS4 version.

I had a similar experience with Need for Speed Rivals where I didn’t like how it controlled on PS3 but when I rented the PS4 version it felt MUCH better, although I still dislike the game overall.

Games which are pushing the last-gen consoles can play so much better when given the next-gen treatment. There are also plenty of people who switched sides from Xbox 360 to PS4 who never had a PS3 who will want to try this.

mastorofpuppetz 10 April, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

What planet do you live on where 1 game coming to Ps4 means all it will ever have are ps3 ports?

YNA_p4u7 9 April, 2014 @ 6:28 pm   25

Thanks Naughty Dog, time to double dip.

Munkeh111 9 April, 2014 @ 6:29 pm   26

Any chances saves and trophies will carry over?

medenko1975 9 April, 2014 @ 6:35 pm

doubt this.

Munkeh111 9 April, 2014 @ 6:38 pm

Well if that’s the case, then I need to actually platinum this… I didn’t want to play it after I finished it because the ending was just so perfect

solarwind12 9 April, 2014 @ 6:32 pm   27

This aimed at EU, as the Gaikia stream ps3 thingy is meant to be up in US, so have to wonder both how much difference there’d be, via Gaikia, or is that service just not on track. Not my kind of game, but just hope not everyone was away from bringing us the next original Uncharted, or new ip?.

Envirasu 9 April, 2014 @ 6:34 pm   28

Great news for those who didn’t own a PS3 e.g. those who have “jumped ship” from Xbox. I probably won’t be buying this myself — at least not until it’s very cheap. I’d love to play LoU with the DualShock 4, admittedly. I just hope that PS3 and PS4 players can play online together. The multiplayer could use some new blood at this point!

We already knew about this didn’t we…?

I’d like to see a reasonable price on this, so what is the RRP?

inertSpark 9 April, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

Screenshot has emerged of the US preorder price, which is $59.99. That makes it probably…. £59.99 over here :D. I jest, it’ll probably be a full price release so about £45 – no idea if there will be an upgrade promo for it though. Probably not.

MaxDiehard 9 April, 2014 @ 11:55 pm

$60 is around £35 here. We’ll most likely get it in the £35 – 40 range like Tomb Raider. That was well priced. The digital version however will be pure extortion by Sony as per usual as they have no concept of currency rates.

solarwind12 9 April, 2014 @ 6:39 pm   30

Also, my tuppence on crossbuy, peeps who bought digital in month one, maybe should get a little discount, everone else could either have bought it 2nd hand, or sold original disc Then just buy cheap 2nd hand for proper discount, so it isn’t going to be feasible, the digital week, month one buyers though, can’t see em doing it but it’s ND so anything is possible.

tin-cup-70 9 April, 2014 @ 6:39 pm   31

Happy to see it on the PS blog now, loved the game and deffinitly pre-order this for ps4

ArchangelMike 9 April, 2014 @ 6:40 pm   32

YES!!!!! Please don’t censor it in Europe. Upgrade program FTW!!!

glad i didn’t buy this on ps3 and waited, i can’t wait give me something to play during summer :)

Voodoo341 9 April, 2014 @ 6:45 pm   34

Buy this game in a few months for £40+ then buy the game again on the online service launched in 2015 for £40….. milk milk that little cow!

Lucreto 9 April, 2014 @ 6:46 pm   35

I am unsure about this.

I will not pay €60 for a game I already own.

I will need to see the improvements to convice me to buy it.

I pre-purchased the digital version on PSN + Season Pass on the PS3 hoping for this day.

Please make sure that there is some sort of discount or upgrade option for PS3 owners (especially if it’s someone that bought the digital version and the season pass)!

Jacko_the_lad 9 April, 2014 @ 6:50 pm   37

Can someone tell me what the point of PlayStation Now is if they’re just going to re-release every PS3 game on PS4?

m1tch91 9 April, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

PSNOW is not only for PS4, it will be for ps3, ps4 and vita and later for pcs, tablets and smartphones as well.

JediKnight246 9 April, 2014 @ 7:34 pm

I was expecting PlayStation Now to have things like this covered but as someone who never played TLOU on PS3 I’m not complaining about getting a chance to play it with improved performance (some late-gen PS3 games had issues with framerate) on the PS4.

AlexAtkinUK 9 April, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

Because at best they will port over 0.01% of the PS3 library to PS4, but ANY game can be put on PlayStation Now as it doesn’t require porting – it runs on PS3 hardware.

mitchbel1996 9 April, 2014 @ 8:08 pm

1). Rent games instead of buying them.
    2). PSNow will probably have more games than remakes for the PS4.

ocelot07 10 April, 2014 @ 12:28 am

You do know there is more than 2 games on PS3 right? Stop acting like this is happening to all games. 2 games so far out of what 800 have been ported to PS4. Some people need to get a grip.

mastorofpuppetz 10 April, 2014 @ 3:22 pm

PSnow will prob bomb lol.

dark_angel69 10 April, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

Not everybody would have great internet for PlayStation Now and others may not even want to pay to use that. Many like myself would be happy to just buy and keep even if it means wait on a price drop.

Ishan_The_King 9 April, 2014 @ 6:55 pm   38

Would like very much to see this in action before I commit to a purchase, have played it on PS3 thrice over already.

Fuzzbap 9 April, 2014 @ 7:03 pm   39

I’ve not played Left Behind yet, and as much as I loved The Last of Us, I think the only way I’d consider buying it for a second time would be if the PS4 version was super-cheap AND a PS4 version of Left Behind was released.

m1tch91 9 April, 2014 @ 7:12 pm

Left Behind is included with the remaster, or do you mean you’d want a standalone version?

vonhammer 9 April, 2014 @ 7:11 pm   40

Hopefully no next gen tax. It’s bad enough with our exchange rate £49.99 = $83.74 and I cant support that. £39.99 and it’s day one again.

Mcbeanstr 9 April, 2014 @ 7:20 pm   41

I’ll get this once the price drops. This is one game I wouldn’t mind buying again

spookyjackbauer3 9 April, 2014 @ 7:21 pm   42

This game was brilliant, if this is the price for the PS4 version then it should be boycotted as it’s a blatant rip off. Like TR it looks gorgeous on PS3, I know that a lot of PS3 owners sold theirs to buy a PS4 but this should be a £20 max purchase. I really cannot believe that it can be improved much on PS4.

Porcupeth00 10 April, 2014 @ 1:06 am

TR looked really dated on PS3. TLOU also had many visual problems.

TrueMurton 9 April, 2014 @ 7:22 pm   43

This was confirmed on the US Blog with a price of 60 USD despite including the season pass because it’s a first party game and SCEA made a commitment that all Sony first party releases would retain their 60 USD price tag going into this gen. So here in Europe it will likely be £52.99 like all other first party titles here.

Shame really as I loved the game and would have happily double dipped if SCEE had made the same commitment and kept RRP the same on our side as well. With main game, the season pass and the extras this would have been worth £40 for sure, but I couldn’t justify paying more than that considering I bought the Ellie Edition on day one for PS3.

Fabivito 9 April, 2014 @ 7:26 pm   44

As much as I enjoyed PS3 version of this game that the key aspect about PS4 version will be the price tag. Full price is not for my pocket but if I’ll find some sale at some point I won’t mind buying.

OnesOwnGrief 9 April, 2014 @ 7:29 pm   45

Can we get a shared trophy list and possibly a cross-save patch for PS3 owners? Even without cross-buy, those two features would be very appreciated. I even have the season pass purchased for the PS3 game and I’d still be satisfied with just that. Even without cross-save, I’d take a shared list over anything.

transpondster 9 April, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

I sure agree with this man, those multiple trophy lists must go away! Also it would be nice to merge old games’ lists as well

Is it still censored in EU?

RD_Rabin 9 April, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   47

Try not to confuse these interactive soap operas with actual games, ladies…

ThugETH 9 April, 2014 @ 7:47 pm   48

Day 1, can’t wait!

stathmos 9 April, 2014 @ 7:58 pm   49

Glad I held off buying it for PS3!

Oodama52 9 April, 2014 @ 8:11 pm   50

They may do the the thing they did with BF4 and COD:Ghosts. Have to leave the PS3 disc in the drive and you can download the digital version for a discount.

Load all