Posted 2:00pm

Anime compilation Short Peace available now on PS3

Includes four short films and a side-scrolling action game from Suda51

Short Peace is an anime compilation unlike any other – a unique mix of Japanese entertainment that gathers four short films and a video game in one disruptive package:

• Possesions, directed by Shuhei Morita
  • Combustible, directed by Katsuhiro Otomo (the father of Akira)
  • A Farewell to Weapons, directed by Hajime Katoki
  • Gambo, directed by Hiroaki Ando
  • Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day, a fast-paced 2D side-scrolling action game directed by the famous Goichi Suda (Suda51) of Grasshopper Manufacture. With direction and design by Tokyo Jungle director Yohei Kataoka at Crispy’s and a soundtrack by Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka.

Stage 7-10

We talked to Suda and Kataoka about the launch of Short Peace in Europe.

Suda: All four short films from ‘SHORT PEACE’ share a central theme: Japan. Each of them focuses on a different time period of Japan, but since there was no film that focused on modern Japan, we decided to use this as a theme.

Kataoka: I have concentrated on creating a game that matches the other films…the whole play through time needed to finish the game is not too long, to match the concept of a ‘short piece’.

Stage 7-3

Suda: I was told that Katsuhiro Otomo was involved in the project. His work is like the bible for my generation, and so I remember answering “Yes” immediately [to becoming a part of the project] [...] I was able to spend more time on the story part and animation part of the game. There are more than 20 minutes of animation, and if you include the ending it will be more than 25 minutes in total length.

The overall project is truly a masterpiece of Japanese animation, and available now exclusively on PlayStation 3. Stay tuned to http://www.facebook.com/namcobandaigames.europe for a chance to win copies of the game and artbooks.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

deathwings51 18 April, 2014 @ 2:19 pm   1

Side scrolling portion evoked memories of Strider. This would be great on Vita. Any chance of this appearing on that ?

Tender_Brans0n 18 April, 2014 @ 2:24 pm   2

I’m liking this, where can I find/buy it?

Was not aware this existed , thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)
Ordered it right away and hope its on stock , Dutch stores dont have the best track record of giving these kind of things enough attention sadly…but if there’s a will there’s a way.

blendercat27 18 April, 2014 @ 3:49 pm   4

Am buying this day one purely for Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day. The rest is a nice bonus! Thank you.

DizzyQViper 18 April, 2014 @ 4:48 pm   5

I already secured my copy with the art book.
Thank you for bringing this over as a retail release!

tiago-kun 18 April, 2014 @ 7:08 pm   6

Namco, please consider porting this to Vita or PS4, my PS3 is long gone :(
I can only speak for myself, but I think other gamers would love this too.

NinjaZeroEight 18 April, 2014 @ 7:22 pm   7

Is this going to come to Canada?

Finka_Karfein 18 April, 2014 @ 9:41 pm   8

Awesome news. Thanks!

vicentecarro 18 April, 2014 @ 10:34 pm   9

PS4 version?

sephiroth180 19 April, 2014 @ 12:10 am   10

I am very interested in it! But, how do you actually find it? I’ve looked everywhere on the store and haven’t found it :(

Maybe it’s only in countries where Video section in PSS is available?

There is a physical release coming to Europe. I’ve already seen pre-orders at places like Shopto etc

I caught wind of this from PSN Profiles. Totally wanna see this come States-side.

RKO_JPL7 20 April, 2014 @ 12:50 pm   12

The game in the package Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day is extremely short with only 10 levels however it’s fun and with it being Suda51 it’s bizarre. I’m just wondering is stage 9 a reference to Tokyo Jungle since I know this game is from the same developer which is Crispy’s. I’m glad it got a physical release for Europe thanks Bandai Namco.

UK_Rocklance 21 April, 2014 @ 1:35 am   13

Do the animes come with the original Japanese voice over?

Gameguardian 21 April, 2014 @ 6:02 pm   14

Way to go Namco Bandai! This is why I love you, since you bring not only the most well-known games over here, but also games like this, and on disc as retail no less! I bought it instantly because of that :)

Watch and learn, you other video game companies!

Marrsterhausen 22 April, 2014 @ 9:54 am   15

Not available on PS4? This makes no sense & is ultimately very frustrating for those that only have PS4′s (which is over 7 million of us apparently).

Suda 51, enough said will buy it on that alone

BusterWolf69 22 April, 2014 @ 3:08 pm   17

Hi!

Is there any chance this compilation is going to be available in PSN Store?

Thanks!