Posted 30 April

Conception II demo lands on PS Vita today, watch new trailer

Try out quirky JRPG ahead of its full 14th May release

When you woke up this morning, did you think to yourself “I’ve got to go save the world today with my army of magical Star Children?” It’s understandable if you didn’t, but even if you did, we’ve got you covered with the launch of the Conception II demo for PS Vita! That’s right, you can get a sample of the unique combat positioning system, making Star Children and getting introduced to some of the game’s seven heroines that will help you save the world.

Conception II has a surprising amount of combat depth – from choosing the composition of the nine star children you can bring into battle to deciding which classes to make with certain heroines to maximise their stats.

The best part? Your progress will transfer over to the full game, and we’ve even got a reward for those who do. When you unlock the full game and transfer your save over, players will receive a set of Matroyshkas, the nesting dolls the game uses as vessels for Star Children – each one providing a critical stat boost. And you’ll want to hurry. The full game will be out in Europe on 14th May!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

57 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

We love Atlus!

X_Blood_Curse_X 30 April, 2014 @ 12:38 pm   2

Don’t suppose we get a cheaper price, seeing as it’s digital only?

Too much to ask for?

animtor_brent 30 April, 2014 @ 12:43 pm   3

Just me or is this vid like Persona…………………………… LOVE it!!!

PlatinumSpectre 30 April, 2014 @ 12:45 pm   4

Can’t wait to download this, any ideas on the full game price?

Taobaka 30 April, 2014 @ 1:07 pm

40€ I would say, because NA Digital price is 40$ and we all know how currency exchange works. : ) [No offence, but 40$ NA=40€ EU mostly]
    Not sure about pounds, but I think about 30…ish?

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

I think it winds up being 32 Pounds/40 Euro.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 5:40 pm

@John Hardin
    Correct me if I’m wrong… but isn’t retail version in USA costs 40$? and even better 40$ Canadian Dollars in Canada…?

For me… it is 60% more expensive than boxed version from canadian store…. are you kidding us? It is like spitting in our face! They have great sale right now for all atlus games, they have cheaper games, they have boxed version, they have things much earlier than we…. IT IS NOT FAIR.

I know that you won’t answer… I know that it is not your fault… and I’m not blaming you, you are just worker…. but it doesn’t feel right!

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

@Archacus, nothing you’ve said is wrong and I can’t fault you for being upset. But like you said, there is little I can do to control the fluctuations of currency exchange rates. :(

I was really looking forward to Conception II, but the decision to make it a digital only release in Europe forced me to order it from the USA where the game not only had a retail release but I got a free soundtrack CD & special packaging too with my copy of the game.

ATLUS, I absolutely love your games, but it is a big letdown seeing how you treat european customers…

X_Blood_Curse_X 30 April, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

I second this. I’m not even going to wait for news on a European Persona 5 release, just going to import from America. I supported European releases of Persona 4 Golden, Persona 4 Arena and Dragons Crown but the waiting around and lack of communication to European customers (Shin Megami Tensei IV anyone?) get’s a bit tedious.

I couldn’t agree more. I have UK copies of P4G & DC too and I’d really like to support the EU branch of ATLUS… if they let me. :)

Didn’t want to mention SMT IV, cause it’s the PlayStation Blog after all, but it’s preposterous that after almost a year from the US debut there is no concrete info about the PAL release.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

… I’ve missed information that it will be digital only in Europe :/

What the hell is this?! Why are we always treated like second-class customers?! I’m fed up seeing great Atlus sales for USA only…. and now this!? It is not even funny! I don’t like buying games from USA! Why? Because it creates illussion that USA is the most important market! It is NOT! It is obvious that you will sell in USA more copies of games if you sale it: A. cheaper than in EU (Europeans import games) B. A lot earlier (USA got even demo a LOT earlier) C. If some moron (excuse me for harsh words! but that’s gigantic let down) decide to ignore European customers and make only digital version…

I was waiting for Conception! But now… most probably I will boycott it. I WANT TO PLAY IT! But you guys are forcing me and probably many more players to show you ours middle fingers…

I’m mad!

Signed by second-class customer

gamefreak666 30 April, 2014 @ 1:34 pm

@ X_Blood_Curse_X

Be very wary of importing an Atlus game from America. Just remember that even with the region encoding being an option for developers the only game known to use it is Persona 4 Arena. So I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the same thing happen when Atlus finally release Persona 5.

supersmith2500 30 April, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

One thing I have to give credit is we didn’t had to wait for months like what happened to Persona 4 Golden and Dragon’s Crown in which I love these games on the PSVita. Now don’t get me wrong Atlus you’re a great company for making great games but I hate seeing games as digital only. Yes, I can forgive you for not having a EU publishing dept. doesn’t mean we have to wait 3 months to just get the game. I’m a little worried that we could get the Persona games very much late.

I don’t mind waiting for 2-3 weeks after the NA launch but releasing it digital only actually hurts retailers. I wonder if the 3DS version is also getting a digital only release in which it might. Besides I prefer retail versions over digital. You get nice boxarts of the games.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 4:18 pm

@supersmith2500
    Maybe that’s why they don’t want to release boxed version now? Maybe after months of waiting the sales of Persona wasn’t as good as they hoped… well most of my friends bought it from USA :/

Maybe they think Persona 4 for EU was failure so Conception II will also be failure? But that’s wrong thinking… it was their own fault… it was insane to release game so much later! But like I said… developers and publishers doesn’t care about facts like that… what they love is statistics! If they see that in USA they have sold most of copies they will treat it as golden egg. We in EU where most of our shops/customers decided to go for imported usa version are still treated as rotten egg.

Nobody wants us :P

ALSO ABOUT 3DS, I don’t know if it is true, but be aware that 3ds version is said to be worse than Vita. I heard something about decrease in performance in 3ds version of game. But like I said, I don’t know if it true.

@eszg_ @supersmith2500

ATLUS HAS NO EUROPE BRANCH they diden’t even publish the games in europe it’s NIS america who picked up the licencing and published em here ATLUS sure diden’t care for european release.

salvogdaze 30 April, 2014 @ 12:52 pm   6

Will download as soon as I can. I really appreciate demo save carry-overs, thanks Atlus.
I wonder how similar this is to Persona 3, although I am getting a more colorful vibe here which is great.

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 5:46 pm

The combat is nutso and gets quite technical through later dungeons. You can kind of brute force your way through the demo, but it’s fun to put together weird combos of star children.

No physical reease, no buy.

KylieDog 30 April, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

release*

supersmith2500 30 April, 2014 @ 12:59 pm

Atlus doesn’t have a EU publisher so that’s why it’s getting a digital only release.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

Agree, no physical release = boycott

And I was waiting for this SUUUUUUPER LONG

@supersmith2500
    and why would we care? It wasn’t problem with earlier games so why is it not? WE ARE NOT SECOND-CLASS CUSTOMERS! WE ARE NOT WORSE THAN USA CUSTOMERS! AND WE ARE TREATED LIKE THIS!

No dual audio, right? Then no buy. XSEED, Nintendo, Aksys and Sega include dual audio in their games and even Squeenix did have it as DLC for one of Lightning’s games. But the company known for a game series about being a Japanese high schooler STILL won’t do it? That’s just silly

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 6:30 pm

There’s a lot of dialogue in the game. Dual-audio wasn’t feasible for Conception II, unfortunately.

Doesn’t mean I don’t hear all the requests from fans to incorporate Dual Audio for later titles. I’ve heard them and I’m trying to urge upper management to entertain the options for future titles.

Hanzoadam 30 April, 2014 @ 1:20 pm   9

I had the Japanese version when it was released didnt think too much to it.

for me It’ll be wait till it drops in price or goes on sale

dark_angel69 30 April, 2014 @ 1:26 pm   10

This game looks good and will try out the demo. But sadly after seeing those comments saying digital only, I’m afraid I’m out.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 1:26 pm   11

No retail boxed version in EU -> boycott

Envirasu 30 April, 2014 @ 1:45 pm   12

Looks fun, but the lack of a physical release is disappointing.

evilwitch83 30 April, 2014 @ 2:10 pm   13

I won’t be buying this until it goes under £7.50 in a sale, which means that I will probably never buy it because SCEE always gives us rubbish discounts compared to US.

croze343 30 April, 2014 @ 2:31 pm   14

Can you guys please announce ahead of time if you are going to finally publish outside of JP/U.S. I just imported this literally 1 ago. I prefer buying a digital or at least European copy so i get access to dlc.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 6:09 pm   15

Of course… all of us who are not pleased with this do not exists.

Answering only those pleasant posts in my humble opinion is even worse than not answering at all. Mr Hardin… how can we even feel about it? We don’t exist for you, you don’t even try to answer us… I know that it was not your decision to ignore European market, it is not you who set those prices… non of it is your fault and we all know it! But ignoring us also can hurt… no words like “sorry it is not up to us”… nothing… just like we are not even worth replying…

We are really second-class customers to you guys… no sales, no good retail versions, no simultaneous premiere with USA, no response, no nothing. I’m not even angry any more, I’m just sad.

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 6:25 pm

I’m not telling anyone not to be upset, you have every right to be unhappy if things don’t work out the way you want them to.

I’m sorry Conception II isn’t available in the version you’d like, but we’re trying to bring the fans something.

Archacus 30 April, 2014 @ 7:10 pm

@John Hardin
    1. Mr Hardin thank you very much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I really do!

2. It is not matter of “fluctuations of currency exchange rates” it is matter of how European customers needs to pay more for less. 40 Dollars taking current exchange rate is only 28 Euro and 23 British Pounds. For guys like me who lives in country that is not using Euro yet it will be even worse. Like I said before for me it will be 60% more than canadian price and little less for dollar price! And we are not even earning as much money as you guys… but that’s not the case here. And theoretically Atlus would earn exactly the same money because 23 euro value = 40 dollars.

3. Another thing is that Atlus thinks that retail boxed version worth is the same as digital one… Again it is not true. Physical version is always more expensive than digital one. Even box has its value. I love boxed versions, I know that I can collect them and use them however I want… And with digital version I feel like I’m only using game not owning. It would be unfair even with 40 dollars = 40 euro, but we are not paying for the same product! We are paying for something that is considered as inferior to boxed version.

4. Even if there will be free DLC such as costumes it won’t mean that real value of non existing digital version will be higher than boxed version.

5. The only alternative is buying from USA/Canada… and you probably won’t say it but Atlus hopes that we will do so. But that’s no long term solution for us. We will sustain that illusion that American Market is the biggest and the most important. And it isn’t! You know even in stores in my country I have hard time finding EU version of games. All shops import games from USA, even on british Amazon most of version are from USA, that’s how complicated and hard our situation is. If I decide to buy from USA we will be treated forever as second-rate customers.

6. I have Persona 3, Persona FES, Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga 1, Digital Devil Saga 2, Catherine, Dragon’s Quest and many more Atlus games. Even if I want I can’t get some games due to complicated situation with rights to older titles, I can’t buy for example Odin Sphere on PSN. But still I am fan of Atlus games :/ and that’s why it hurts that we are not as important as americans customers.

7. And again thank you very much for reply… it means a lot!

John Hardin 30 April, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

1) You can always reach me on twitter, @johnlhardin. I try and answer all the questions I get
    2) A lot of that is still out of our hands.
    3+4) We know the value of a retail box, and unfortunately it just wasn’t feasible for Conception II in Europe.
    5) Absolutely false. We have no ulterior motive to drive customers to import games from other territories.
    6) I know it stings. But you’re right – there are a lot of complicated situations out there for a lot of titles. It’s unfortunate, and we’re working on addressing these issues for future titles.
    7) anytime.

DizzyQViper 30 April, 2014 @ 9:30 pm

Than why did you handle the publication yourselves instead of letting NISA or Ghostlight handle it if you are unable to release a retail version here?

I’m rather sick and tired of publishers just dumping their games on the PAL PSN Store and call it a day while they release a retail release everywhere else. It feels rather insulting.

Archacus 1 May, 2014 @ 11:04 am

Than what are we supposed to do? What would you do in our place? If you are aware of the value of retail box than you exactly know that 40 euro for game that comes in USA for JUST 28 euro with box and physical game copy for us is something unthinkable. To me to even consider buying digital version of this game it would have to cost about 15 euro in its first day. That’s how huge difference between value of retail boxed and digital version is for us!

And let’s not forget that USA even got this month earlier than we are supposed to do… Why didn’t you wait 1 month to publish games in exactly the same time? Not only we are discriminated when it comes to price, and the fact that we get deficient version without physical game copy for exactly the same price, but also we are discriminated when it comes to time of premiere.

And if you don’t encourage people to import game from USA… than what is alternative for us? We don’t have any alternative. Even if some will import this game (many people are not even aware than it won’t be published in Europe because shops sells mainly imported games) they won’t be able to play DLCs. And buying digital version, sorry to say, is totally out of question. For us it is humiliating policy “pay more for less”.

It is pure form discrimination, that’s what it is for us. We love you guys and your games, but buying more your games would make us look like sadomasochists. That’s why we really CAN’T buy it.

Really what would you do in our place? Would you buy it? More expensive and deficient product? You see that in this thread there are mainly people who are not pleased with this news. What can you do to encourage us? To change our mind? We exactly know that game would be fun to play… so it won’t good argument to say “game is great, buy it” in situation where in fact we can’t buy it.

Ah and thank you for your twitter! But unfortunately I’m not using things like Facebook or Twitter :(

And on the side note… what also pains me, that when I subscribed to atlus newsletter I wasn’t aware that I will get only news for USA… it hurts to see every great sale that we can’t even dream about.

Archacus 1 May, 2014 @ 12:11 pm

@John Hardin
    And let’s not forget that America also get version with free 10-track soundtrack and nice special outer box… really there is nothing you can add to psn version of game for us to make it more fair.

It is frustrating… no… even more than frustrating.

theodor70941 30 April, 2014 @ 6:10 pm   16

Will the collectors edition be available in Europe? Also, is there a possibility to get a hardbox copy?

Atlus has never cared for the european market their early released games were done by other companies and now they force us 2 buy digital i sure as hell am not buying it i would have if it was a physical release and had japanese dub. another thing ATLUS ignores it’s fans in the heavily requested japanese dub for game.

so don’t pretend like you care just so you can have our money. cause that is all you care about with your fans.

@John Hardin

if you want 2 takes an exsample look at NIS america they know how 2 treat their fans they cared enough 2 release persona 4 here boxed. and always keep japanese dub in their own games.

Andrefpvs 30 April, 2014 @ 7:21 pm   19

Atlus, I love you guys so much sometimes I ask myself “Why was I born European?”

Do you know what I mean? Do you? :(

Here’s hope for the future.

Skookie30 30 April, 2014 @ 8:41 pm   20

This game is the uncensored version right as PEGI rate it PEGI-16 spike chunsoft are another fab dev I enjoy the import of virture last reward working though dangan ropa trigger happy havoc.

However I’m more sit on the fence to get the censored version of monster monpirce or uncersored of it I may not get it at all frankly it is a joke I seen more risky cards on another card game on IOS.

Before I get at by ppl I saw what was uncensored on South Park the stick of truth it perfect alright for a 8 year old boy (CENSORED) little gal getting abortion for laughs.

But you may say it only cartoon so true, yes the cards are cartoon too on MM. But that not anger me but the guilt trip by president of IFI. Concerption2 I’m getting if it not censored yes another risky game with cartoon gals.

sakulukk 30 April, 2014 @ 8:42 pm   21

I think you guys should consider pricing this lower than one normally would in Europe for digital game and rather get the extra cha-ching from DLC, it is digital only and I fear that with 40€ price tag many gamers will rather import much cheaper version from US/Canada than buy it from EU PS store.

Skookie30 30 April, 2014 @ 8:45 pm   22

* oh I’m forgotten artlus for they persona series & looking forward for P5. :)

I’ve read mixed reviews about this, so I’m glad you’re posting a demo so we can get our teeth into it before we commit to buy. Reviews are one thing, but actually getting to play it is another.

One question I would be grateful for an answer to actually doesn’t relate to this release, but as a die hard Persona fan, with every game I can get my hands on, I would love to acquire the final game in the collection. The US PSN store has had access to the PSOne classic version of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment since February 2013. Is there any chance that we can get this on the EU PSN store – you managed to put the import copy of P3: FES up there recently, so it would really be appreciated by fans if you could do the same for the second half of P2 as well.

bobalotrock 30 April, 2014 @ 11:45 pm   24

NZ is excluded… is this only temporary or is something up here?

dark_angel69 1 May, 2014 @ 12:12 am   25

Where’s the subtitles options for the cut scene? I only see text during the game but there’s no subtitles

LungFai 1 May, 2014 @ 5:08 am   26

Another game i will have to buy using my US PSN ID, starting to get sick of having to fund that bloody US account. Bought Child of Light on the EU PSN for $19.95 AUD when the US was selling it for $14.95. Could have saved myself $4 AUD to put into DLC’s or avatars etc.

Come on EU, get your pricing fixed.

LungFai 1 May, 2014 @ 7:36 am

Been playing the Demo for a while now, can’t stand the English voicing. Please say there is/will be a DLC for Japanese voicing.

cowbanana 1 May, 2014 @ 8:51 am   27

I bought a physical card version of Demon Gaze instead. Make of that what you will :)

smile_taisou 1 May, 2014 @ 10:59 am   28

The game might be fun, but I just couldn’t get over that terrible English voice acting. However I wouldn’t buy it anyway, since I don’t buy digital games, when there’s a physical version available in another region. Good thing that Vita is not region locked, or us, European customers would be stuck with those inferior products forced on us by American publishers, like Atlus NA.

ImagineeBCH 1 May, 2014 @ 2:29 pm   29

Hell yes! I’m so going to play this, after I’m done with ffX-2, blazblue and ys…..damn way too many games to go through!

Jasper-Skies 1 May, 2014 @ 8:05 pm   30

Thanks Atlus! I hope you will continue to release more games in the EU region yourselves from now on. NISA and other companies do an okay job, but the sooner we can get releases close to the US dates, I’ll be happy. I understand people’s frustrations with a lack of physical release, but I’m just so glad that I get to play an EU region version of this game at all.

I’m playing the demo right now. It’s brilliant. But what sort of Star God demands that his Disciples/baby-factories all be between the ages of 16 and 18!?

HelpfulKelp 2 May, 2014 @ 10:06 am   31

I’m loving Atlus now from being someone who didn’t know anything about the Persona franchise and so now am a fan and thoroughly enjoyed the Demo of Conception 2 and I have to say the Vita version is a vast improvement over the 3DS demo. So now I can’t wait until this is out.

Lucas-san 2 May, 2014 @ 6:47 pm   32

Well, I am not sure what’s going on. I read something about no physical box, only digital. And some pricing differences.
What about the content? Has anything been left out of the EU version? I am also a little confused about the age rating. Not that it matters to me since I am 19 now, hehehe. I got a mail saying that it was 16 but the official website says it’s 17+. I know it’s not a big difference but I am scared of censoring of blood or whatever there is going to happen. I have to admit that I did not watch the trailer because I was afraid of spoiling anything for myself.

TohkaIsMyWaifu 3 May, 2014 @ 8:13 pm   33

Glad that they decided to give an EU release date within a reasonable time frame and a demo, but digital only is really killing me here. Hopefully one day EU will get more physical releases with the upcoming games being localized.

Serpantino 5 May, 2014 @ 5:34 pm   34

You’ve LOST a SALE here Atlus. Digital Only means I won’t be buying it. Probably won’t import it either due to import costs. I was looking forward to this but I can do without it.

steam-hearted 7 May, 2014 @ 11:31 am   35

Might buy this if the download size is reasonable. Any information in that regard?

THUNDERCAT1973 8 May, 2014 @ 11:21 am   36

well i will be buying it, sadly people need to realise these type of games are a niche title ands its not really worth atlus doing a physical copy(along with them having no branch in europe). people should be happy that we are getting stuff like this at all in europe, not to long ago we wouldn’t. don’t come moaning when we don’t any games like this released and we will all have to go back to importing. steam heard it about 1.2-1.4gb. just hoping its reasonable price like ragnarok odyssey ace. if its around £30 i will wait a little as a lot coming out this month, bound by flame,watchdogs, wolfenstein ,borderlands 2 vita, and mind zero.

Archacus 8 May, 2014 @ 3:10 pm

And why should we be happy if we get less and pay more? Like I said many times before buying from canadian store day 1 edition is 60% cheaper than buying digital version in European PSN. Atlus is now part of SEGA so publishing game in Europe shouldn’t be as big problem as they are trying to tell us.

The thing is Atlus recently is doing many stupid things like providing 100k of dollars for game that failed miserably on kickstarter, or deciding to let NISa publish game in Europe 3 or 4 months after American release (when most of Europeans already bought it from USA). Decision about not releasing game in Europe and saying that we will have to pay exactly the same amount of cash is form of another stupid ill-advised decision.

If they are afraid of failure on European market than let us pre-order game, they would know exactly how many copies of game they should release for European market. But for Conception II it is too late to do so because ALL of shops in my country already placed an order for large amount of game from Canada/America. And like I said many times before there isn’t little information that they are going to sell american version (that’s why I believed up to this news that we will also get physical release). It is way too late for that or for any kind of decision! Like it was too late to release Persona 4G in physical version for European market.

Sorry to say, but in my eyes this is huge blunder! And if they are going to repeat doing things like this they can say goodbye to European customers. I’m going to say it: one more mistake and I’m not going to buy any of Atlus games (be it Persona 5 or any other). If they don’t respect us, than we won’t respect them.

THUNDERCAT1973 12 May, 2014 @ 12:23 pm   37

agree archacus, just saying we should be happy to be getting any type of release for these games even if its is digital, last few games i have imported have been hit by customs so with 20 % tax and royal mail handling fee of £8 they turned out to be more expensive than if i had gotten them from UK. have to agree on pricing if they are going to make them digital price should be around £20-25 not £30 + which i have a feeling this will be, just greed on atlus part, look at ragnarok odyssey ace that was around £23 on psn store, so why cant this game be same price.