Posted 30 April

PS4 system update 1.70 launches today – full feature list

Plus, new updates for PS Vita and PlayStation App detailed

At PlayStation, we love hearing the great feedback we get from our passionate community of gamers. That’s why I’m excited to announce that our highly-anticipated system software update for PlayStation 4 (v1.70) will be released today, with a huge number of your demanded features, and expanding upon what we believe is the most socially connected console experience.

One feature that I’m most excited about is SHAREfactory, our new rich video editing app. In addition, we’re launching updates for PlayStation Vita (v3.15) and PlayStation App (v1.70) that will deliver greater integration with your PS4 system.

Here’s a rundown of what you can expect with today’s software updates:

PlayStation 4 v1.70 update

SHAREfactory: After you update your PS4 to v1.70, an icon to download our free SHAREfactory app will appear on your PS4 system’s home screen once it’s available. Once installed, SHAREfactory allows you to easily customize your gameplay videos with special effects, video commentary with picture-in-picture capability through PlayStation Camera, and custom soundtracks using the included audio tracks or your original music imported from a USB drive. You can then share your videos on Facebook or export them to an external USB storage device. The app is packed with plenty of cool, but accessible, tools. It’s simple enough to use for beginning editors, while functioning as a rich video editor for those with more creative aspirations. Check out our new SHAREfactory video above that provides a walkthrough of what you can expect:

Automatic pre-download: You’ll soon be able to start downloading select pre-ordered games from PlayStation Store. This new feature allows you to get to your games faster by automatically downloading select pre-ordered games up to several days in advance of the release, so that it’s ready to play as soon as the game is released on launch day. There’s also a countdown timer prior to the release of the game so you’ll know how soon your game will be available for you to start playing.

Option to disable HDCP for games: This highly requested feature will allow you to have the option to turn off HDCP for games so you can capture longer gameplay sessions directly from your HDMI output and export them elsewhere.

USB export option for captured gameplay: It’s now even easier to show off your heroic gaming moments and the SHAREfactory videos you create with the world using this feature to export your videos and screenshots to a USB drive. Just click on the DUALSHOCK 4 SHARE button, save your gameplay on a USB drive, and then share your proudest achievements on other social networks and other video platforms.

Live broadcasting in HD and archiving support: We’ve increased the resolution for live broadcasts so you and your friends can watch games livestreamed in 720p HD. You can also archive your broadcasts on Twitch or Ustream and watch them again later.

New SHARE options: We’ve got a number of new SHARE settings that will give you better control of what you want to share with your friends. Here is what you can look forward to:

• Change the default gameplay recording time in the SHARE menu under Video Clip Settings.
  • Save only the video clips and screenshots you want by selecting Upload Screenshots or Upload Video Clips for each capture. Also upload video clips and screenshots during your live gameplay broadcasts.
  • Select specific Facebook audiences to share each video or screenshot with.

New DUALSHOCK 4 options: New light bar settings have been added for DUALSHOCK 4, allowing you to change it to Bright, Medium or Dim in the Settings menu. The touchpad has also been updated, allowing you to navigate the on-screen keyboard using the DUALSHOCK 4 touchpad.

New Friends options: It’s now easier to find Friends and send requests with the ability to search Friends-of-Friends, view Mutual Friends on another user’s profile, and accept Friend requests directly from the Friends list.

New Trophies sort option: You can now sort Trophies by rarity in the Options menu.

PlayStation Store payment support: Similar to PS3, we’re introducing Alternative Payment Methods (APMs) for PS4 for content purchased on PS Store, starting with PayPal support.

More PlayStation Camera commands: More voice commands are added to PlayStation Camera, allowing you to launch the apps installed on your PS4 with the sound of your voice.

New PlayStation Plus icon: For Plus members, you’ll now have the PS Plus icon appear next to your SEN ID on the login screen, home screen and other areas across the PS4 system’s sleek user interface.

Music Unlimited SHARE options: With a Music Unlimited subscription, you can easily share your favorite songs with your friends by pressing the SHARE button on your DUALSHOCK 4.

PlayStation Vita v3.15 update

PS4 Link update for Remote Play: Linking your PS4 and PS Vita together will now be easier with the 3.15 update for PS Vita. It’ll enable Automatic Device Registration, which will automatically detect and pair both systems when they’re both online and the same user is signed in to both devices. This makes it even quicker for you to get started on Remote Play or access other second screen features.

PlayStation App v1.70 Update

Push notifications, friend requests and more: This new PlayStation app update will give you the option to receive Push Notifications for select PS4 updates you want to receive, such as gameplay Invitations, Game Alerts or Friend Requests. You can also receive Friend Requests via email or text messages with the app update. Also, it’s now easier to change your profile picture right from your mobile device by uploading an image from your photo library, or taking a photo using your in-device camera.

We can’t wait until the software updates are released so you can start enjoying all of these great features. In particular, I look forward to seeing your SHAREfactory videos and seeing all the creative ways you can make your gameplay moments memorable.

Let’s keep the conversation going – we love getting feedback from you and seeing what else we can come up with to continue making PlayStation 4 the best place to play. Please let us know and we’ll continue to always serve up great content and features to you – the gamer.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

294 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Andrefpvs 30 April, 2014 @ 12:05 am   1

Thank you very much to your Software Engineers and everyone else involved for all the firmware updates so far!

But, please, give us multiple account support on PS Vita :(

loadstone007s 30 April, 2014 @ 8:10 am

Yes, multiple account support is very much desired by all Vita owners. Please make it happen.

LordRastan 30 April, 2014 @ 10:08 am

Another fan of multiple account support… please make it happen!!!

multiple accounts and DualShock 4 Support for PS VITA

Please make it happen!

Hexathelidae 30 April, 2014 @ 10:27 am

I Bought the Vita for my GF, assuming it supported multiple accounts. Now It’s just lying there, rarely used by her, never by me… :(

YES! +1 for multiple acc! I can not play PS+ games on my primary account because we STILL does not have PS Store…

fps_d0minat0r 30 April, 2014 @ 11:42 am

@ Freakix
    I would love dualshock support on vita. If vita tv can do it, so should the actual vita.
    Also a way to output vita games to TV.

pure_n3kr0 30 April, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Ha, came here specifically to complain about how there is still now multiple account support on Vita. Glad to see I’m not alone there! But while I’m at it, I also want to throw my hat into the “no download management on PS4″ ring. Both these features should have been patched in by now. Come on Sony, loving my PS4 and Vita, but it can be so much better with just a couple of small tweaks.

Xeneise_gonza 30 April, 2014 @ 3:45 pm

I’d be very happy with just 2 accounts on the Vita. Come on, it’s so simple to you to do that.

fragle88 1 May, 2014 @ 1:51 am

multiple accounts for vita

can we have a pause downloads feature or atleast limit it to 1 item downloading?

Download pausing is the only useful option I actually need.

The rest is nice although some I saw no one request and I think effort could have gone in those most requested because they make life easier (like deleting trophies, sorting download lists, streaming media and more).

salvogdaze 30 April, 2014 @ 9:48 am

This is much desired, having no control on downloads really makes it inconvenient when you just want to download your game and play it as soon as possible.

Also, themes please! :)

Nice update, but the PS4 still lacks some major features.

Xeneise_gonza 30 April, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

3D Blu-ray support is very important. I have a PS3, but I’m sure a lot of people bought the PS4 thinking they would be able to play 3D movies.

Rocky1000 1 May, 2014 @ 4:30 am

yup like when friends appear online/offline

Rigor666Mortis 1 May, 2014 @ 10:20 pm

Yeah the 3d option need to come soon. Otherwise I love my PS4.

rkiller22 3 May, 2014 @ 5:03 am

Yes 3D support would be great. I spent a lot money on 3D Tvs and movies and Sony ps4 doesn’t supports it that is crazy to me. Let’s get to work on it and release it ASAP.

PanasonicRock 30 April, 2014 @ 12:08 am   4

Thank you from me too, any idea what time we can expect it? Should I go to bed, or wait up patiently?

yaacov2606 30 April, 2014 @ 12:10 am   5

Great update but the thing we really need is local backward capability, i mean play PS1, PS2 &PS3 discs on PS4…

Vashetti 30 April, 2014 @ 12:57 am

PS3 native backwards compatibility is literally impossible. The hardware is too complex for the PS4 to emulate.

yaacov2606 30 April, 2014 @ 1:21 am

Vashettii believe in sony’s engineers that they can make an emulator for PS3 games, the same way they did on ps3 launch model for PS2 games.

Andrefpvs 30 April, 2014 @ 1:42 am

yaacov2606, launch PS3 models had hardware-based emulation. The PS2 CPU (Emotion Engine) was included in every PS3 to allow PS2 games to run.

The PS4 does not include any PS3 hardware, and software emulation of the PS3 architecture is just not physically possible. PlayStation Now is the best you’re going to get.

Now, regarding PS1 and PS2 software emulation on PS4, I have a feeling if we all ask nicely it might just happen… ;)

yaacov2606 30 April, 2014 @ 2:01 am

Andrefpvs only the US PS3 launch models had the Emotion Engine, the EU models had an emulator. and again believe in sony’s engineers :-)

irononreverse 30 April, 2014 @ 2:18 am

The EU PS3 still had the GS graphics processor on the motherboard, but emulated the main CPU as opposed to both being in the US PS3s.

The PS3s without eany PS2 chips have no BC

ipot_04 30 April, 2014 @ 7:38 am

@yaacov2606, that may take a while.
    for now they’re trying to promote PS Now to play PS3 games on Vita and PS4.

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 8:32 am

local backward for PS1 and PS2 discs PLEASE!! I want to play my old PS2 games on PS4 again :)

Djvilas 30 April, 2014 @ 8:38 am

Absolutely no way that that will ever happen. Would be stupid of them if they did. They are doing Playstation Now, if they allowed you to use old disks on your Ps4 they would loose out on a lot of money.

born2hack 30 April, 2014 @ 10:15 am

Since there are already unofficial PSX and PS2 emulators on the PC (x86), doing the same on the PS4 is definitely possible. I remember playing GT2 on bleem on a P200MMX with 16MB Ram and a Riva TNT2. So if that old thing could run PSX games, for sure the PS4 won’t have any trouble.

Ahsan Rasheed:

“I am legitimately telling you the PS2 emulation is real, if you want local disc playback, make noise. They’ve made a reputation by listening”

One of these days, these people will understand how software and hardware emulation work. When that day comes, these stupid posts will vanish.

Itchster 30 April, 2014 @ 9:55 pm

PS1/PS2 emulation, possible if sony decide to put the work into it. PS3 emulation, lolno its just not going to happen. Playstation Now is your best bet for PS3 “emulation”.

AncientWorm 1 May, 2014 @ 8:30 am

I believe that when Microsoft was faced with this problem from Xbox -> Xbox 360 they checked on Xbox 360 that disks were valid and then downloaded xbox 360 compatible files from online. This way even on Xbox 360 you could play Xbox games.

This way there is no need to do actual emulation but just use native binaries that utilises PS4. Of course with special hardware like what PS2 and PS3 has this is not quite trivial to make. Also PS4 controller is a bit different from PS1/2/3 times. So something special would need to be done for missing buttons.

One step closer in having music played from a usb device :D

Have to admit i was hoping for friend notifications (faves only) but pretty damn substantial update

Great progress. Thanks guys. One question though. Did you guys manage to fix game recording not the last 15 minutes but sometimes 1 hour or 2 hours earlier footage? This happenes a lot in BF4 and happened to me twice with Killzone.

sumpunk 30 April, 2014 @ 3:02 am

this happened to me in KZ every time i tried to used the share feature. something epic would happen, and i’d get stuck with gameplay from f#$k knows when.

Cleggworth 30 April, 2014 @ 7:10 am

THIS. this always happens to me! Picture the scene. Dead nation final level. Morbid. My co-op partner dead. I’ve used literally everything I have so i’m left with the rifle to get through the final area with all the army guys. I do it. Raise arms triumphantly in the air. YES!!! Hit the share button and its some boring bit from like 2 hours ago. What the hell?! every damn time!

GumBoy1979 30 April, 2014 @ 9:56 am

Same here. Did you fix it guys?
    I failed to capture ma 1100+ meters headshot in BF4 :/

GumBoy1979 30 April, 2014 @ 9:57 am

Actually, I don’t even bother to use share to capture epic moments. It usually fails by having saved random 15 minutes from random time period.

What bothers me most is how Sony is not commenting on the subject where it is clear that pretty much everyone I know have this issue.

Are you seriously saying that we still don’t get notifications when our friends sign in and out?
And we still can’t use the basic sorting options that we had on PS3?
Come on… It’s been 5 months with the PS4 now, how hard is it to patch in those features?

Was thinking exact same thing myself mate. Friends signing on a a huge deal coz having to always check during gaming is very annoying.

exactly! who are sony listening to? Some of the most simplest things are the things we want…

anyways glad we have a update with new things, cant be complaining about that.

sumpunk 30 April, 2014 @ 3:06 am

yep. apparently, removing HDCP is a priority. it probably affects less than 1% of the base. but, youtubers have a loud voice and get their demands met first.
    regular gamers don’t care about HDCP. it doesn’t affect us at all.

Tipo-120B 30 April, 2014 @ 3:31 am

That’s because gamers are silent to the public. Youtubers are able slag PS4 to the world, any video footage that didn’t use the ‘un-orthodox’ method of getting HD recorded footage looks s***e. Sony don’t don’t want XBox users p***ing themselves laughing.

Plus, anyone not in the know would watch the XBox vids and non-HD PSx vids and promptly buy an XBox.

Public image and Marketing/Sales ploy I’d say.

I assume that user MP3 playback is sandboxed to SHAREfactory so I’m suprised native MP3 (license has to have now been paid to include it in SHAREfactory) & 3D Blu-Ray playback aren’t supported yet (not for me, but for others), especially Blu-Ray.. It’s Sony’s invention for crying out loud!

Elder-Mike 30 April, 2014 @ 9:40 am

@Tip-120B I can play my Blu ray DVDs, so I think you can too, if not well some of us can. I’ve not tried 3D yet but I was watching Lost on my TV & PS4. Not sure if it tells my mates I’m watching a film though.

Thanks guys, keep up the great work. Once the media streaming options similar to what PS3 enjoys just now are added the PS4 , my PS4 will rightfully claim its place in my living room.

Nice update, not as may features as I thought I’d see in this list as I thought you were meant to have something more hidden, but this is a great update none the less :)

Hopefully this lays the groundwork for own music playback/dlna and a native YouTube app.

Also hope that the Vita gets a little more love before it become insignificant. Perhaps a lovely PS4-esk UI update? ;-P

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 8:28 am

Now its time for:

- native YouTube app
    - TuneIn app
    - DLNA support on (PS4 and PS Vita)

jokerduo3 30 April, 2014 @ 12:18 am   12

The App update is great, so much easier to communicate with friends.

dark_angel69 30 April, 2014 @ 12:20 am   13

Great update. Will download it in the morning. What’s the new camera commands? Is it just launching apps or is there more than that?

dylanwiggan 30 April, 2014 @ 12:21 am   14

trophies should be able to be sorted by when you earned them! That is much more useful than rarity

GSREvolution 30 April, 2014 @ 12:22 am   15

Thanks for the update, happy with the progress and updates so far, now I just hope that the vita gets a similar interface the new UI on the PS4 makes it look ancient.

PanasonicRock 30 April, 2014 @ 12:24 am   16

One little thing annoys me with the PS4. The notification section seems to display all these things like last trophy earned, friends added, messages received e.t.c. But you can’t delete them. They just hang there even after you have actually viewed the trophy won, deleted the message that had been received or added the friend that had requested. So now I have out of date notifications from February that don’t even link to anything.

Will we have the ability to delete these soon like we can with the whats new section for played game notifications. Like I say it’s only small thing in the grand scheme of requests from 7 million users, but it seems there are many little problems like this. Such as being able to sort the games on the UI, better trophy sorting, and mentioned previously in another post, the friend notifications when they sign in and out. Simple things that could be fixed quite easily.

Elder-Mike 30 April, 2014 @ 9:42 am

Hear hear! You an remove invites / etc by clicking options and delete but their are some notifications you can’t remove at all.

Coolefaab 30 April, 2014 @ 12:25 am   17

Will we be able to listen to music from a USB device now? Or only in a video in sharefactory?

PanasonicRock 30 April, 2014 @ 12:28 am

I have a horrible feeling it will be only for the purpose of share factory, and that actually playing music on the PS4 may come in the next update, with the rumoured music player. Let’s hope it’s not another 5 months to wait I guess.

Julzillamilitia 30 April, 2014 @ 12:27 am   18

This is brilliant. But please bring back media playback, Give us a media playback app or something. Video playback is more important.

At the very least increase the number of different codecs the browser can handle if you don’t want to give us standalone a media playback app. Give us flash, AVI, DIVX, MPEG, MKV support.

MP4 playback already works beautifully through the browser. But ultimately I wish to playback the videos and mp3/flac I have on my hard drive.

If media playback is brought back i can finally retire my PS3. PS4 will become the ultimate games and media machine.

[General point i want to make regarding PlayStation marketing:

YouTube compression is awful and destroys the details and fidelity of the trailers and content uploaded by the marketing team. So upload uncompressed or atleast high bitrate [16Mbps] HD video to VIMEO [classy version of youtube, doesn't heavily compress video] or Gamersyde[enthusiast site that prides itself on providing uncompressed videos, via bit torrent to reduce server load], and then link them as an option in the description of the youtube upload]

Alex-1124 30 April, 2014 @ 12:28 am   19

I hope one day we can pay to change our PSN IDs.

Krazybone 30 April, 2014 @ 1:11 am

Forget that dude, I just want to grow up.. that’s all I ever wanted…. lols
    I know its wrong to pay for changing PSN ID as I know its wrong to Pay for Changing from a Child Account to Master Account..

The I want to PAY to have my Secondary Account changed to Master Account. So I can properly use the share button.

Please let me do this.
    I was a Kid when I started this PlayStation I’m a Adult Now! =P

shpawen 30 April, 2014 @ 9:50 am

I hope one day it will be possible to change account’s region.

Porcupeth00 30 April, 2014 @ 12:35 am   20

Awesome update guys, thanks so much.

ShovelFighter_89 30 April, 2014 @ 12:35 am   21

Trophy sort options from ps3 and the abilty to sort by platform PS3, 4 & Vita a thumbnail view option would be nice also (hate lists), friend notifications, prioritise downloads, video and music file support from ps3, option to hide downloaded games off the homescreen (hate all the apps shuffling), youtube and twitch app…Update to the browser less of the ‘ missing plugin’ or PS4 not supported……Fantastic Update guys!! SHAREfactory looks amazing! But with all the hype surrounding this update i was hoping for at least half these things.. Sorry to be that guy but…..

Bgjknpqswvyu 30 April, 2014 @ 12:39 am   22

Thank you for bringing us this meaty update Sony. A couple of suggestions for future updates if I may? 1. Being able to sort game & apps into folders, the UI is starting to get cluttered now and it will only get worse in future. 2. An option to upload videos straight to Youtube, also I think Instantgram should be one of the options to SHARE photos. And finally 3. A dedicated Twitch & UStream app, there’s various people who’s streams I would love to watch but because there mostly PCs I ain’t able to seach for them. Also I think with E3 coming soon, publishers may broadcast their conferences on these sites so it would be wonderful for who can’t go to be able watch all the going ons at E3 & Gamescom too.

Julzillamilitia 30 April, 2014 @ 1:22 am

you can watch full twitch via the PS4 browser, works perfectly.

PanasonicRock 30 April, 2014 @ 12:40 am   23

Wondering if it was a bit optimistic trying a software update on PS4 just now? Sadly it said there was no new software.

Still no friend online status notifications, wow sony! Maybe next time then along with the DLNA support.

Friends notifications please!!! Can’t believe we still don’t have this yet its a huge thing nearly all gamers with friends need

Ajscadden 30 April, 2014 @ 12:49 am   26

So in other words Sony has failed to address the small issue that is, the New Zealand store doesn’t allow for pre-orders making the pre-load feature redundant. Gee thanks Sony! Maybe next time you’ll address that small issue amongst the ridiculous overpriced games in store. Kiwi’s are getting ripped off so badly at present.

Julzillamilitia 30 April, 2014 @ 1:27 am

Make a UK account, or a US account [much cheaper games]. top up your wallet by buying psn top up cards from amazon.com [us account] or amazon.co.uk [uk account]. Or other companies that email you the psn card redemption code.

There is no region lock on PS4 or PSN so after purchasing, you can then log in to your NZ account and play with that.

procion 30 April, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

We always get ripped. it comes with the territory of living in god’s pimple. We payed another $US 120.00 equivilant more than they do in EU/US for our PS4s.Even buying things like Lego sets from Amazon is cheaper even after the postage than getting it here and the Hobbit first movie CE was a whole $US70.00 cheaper from amazon in US than getting it here after postage. Even games cost less for all of them. I want an EU passport.

bitbydeath 30 April, 2014 @ 12:49 am   27

Great update but still lacking video, picture and music support.

swifty2001 30 April, 2014 @ 1:35 pm

these are all features making me use my PS3 a lot more than I’d hope to be using it. More use = channelling a little more cash into it in the long run, I and so many people like us would be satisfied with video, image and audio playback libraries such as what we had on PS3. Still, looking forward to 720p live streaming and using the video editing, it does the Share button even more justice ^_^

While this is awesome news for my PS4 my PS3 is crying. My storefront is crying. I still can’t browse the classic ps2 section, if it wasn’t for my Vita still being able to browse it, downloaded Grandia today <3, I would probably be a giant beardy man crying as a 2 year old who dropped his ice cream…please tell us anything about the situation Sony :*(

The classic ps1 section that is.

PanasonicRock 30 April, 2014 @ 12:57 am

I sadly sold my PS3 for my PS4, something I deeply regret. Had I of known 6 months ago the gap I would have to bridge in technology, I certainly would of kept it. I miss 3D playback, CD Playback, MP3 playback, viewing photos, the list goes on.

The PS4 is an incredible machine in my opinion, but I wish I still had the PS3 sitting next to it at the moment. I can’t help but wonder how long it will take Sony to make the PS4 equal, or surpass the PS3.

Can someone confirm that the share bug is fixed or not, in this update? i’m talking about when you hit share after more than 15 minutes of play it’s random what 15 minutes it actually records. Is it even acknowledged by sony that it exists? – because if it’s still there these new share additions seems like a waste really. I would like some clarification as i have stopped using share because of it’s inconsistency (a shame as i love the feature).

Sharefactory sounds good, now I just actually need to be able to share. I don’t use facebook and my laptops USB ports no longer work. Is there any possibility of uploading to Youtube sometime in the future, or do Microsoft have some exclusivity agreement to prevent this from happening? The PS4 has has a very strong start but Microsoft seem to be the only ones listening to their customers at the moment. If this isn’t possible maybe you could let us reassign the share button to something useful.

So, share is useless because your usb ports on your laptop is broken? riiiiight….

rossthebassist 30 April, 2014 @ 1:03 am

Youtube is a google owned property, whilst i know everyone including SONY want youtube to happen for uploaders, its quite obviously more complicated than simply just putting out the application.
    The share button is perfectly useful, just because you don’t use social media, and have not looked after your laptop resulting in broken ports don’t
    mean its useless.

Julzillamilitia 30 April, 2014 @ 1:29 am

Your laptop USB port doesn’t work? You need a new laptop. USB is the most basic input socket of any piece of consumer electronic.

It’s no good for me, I’m happy for everyone else who will find this useful, I really am. Just because I asked to reprogram a button to do something useful, doesn’t actually mean it’s original function was useless, this is an assumption made by the reader. For the record, I have looked after my laptop, it’s called general wear and tear over many years, and the most basic input socket on any of my equipment is the power socket. All I’m asking for is options when uploading instead of one site. If Sony can’t make a deal with the largest video sharing site in the world, when the competition can seems odd. Thats not to say they are not excelling in other areas. But my opinion must be wrong because it doesn’t match anyone else’s riiiiiight….

Saying you want to reprogram a button to something usefull does indeed imply that the function it currently has is useless, don’t try to make yourself seem smarter than you are. Regarding options, exporting to usb gives you a local file to take to your computer and then you are basically able to upload it whereever you want, that is the definition of giving us options to upload ;)
    btw. you should take more care of your computer, i have never had a usb socket that didn’t work, and it seems like they are pretty hard to break…

Just because you misinterpret what I wrote doesn’t make it so I’m afraid. But by this logic, you seem to be personally attacking me and calling me dumb. I’m not going to reduce myself to name calling, I am above that. I didn’t realise that upload options would require additional hardware and time, I thought the PS4 would have been doing the sharing for me and not having to export it to another device first. It would be nice to have game clips I upload show on the whats new tab too. And well done with never breaking a USB port, there are many people who have never broken one, thats not to say that some don’t break after many years use.

Zepekit 30 April, 2014 @ 9:34 pm

I never called you dumb nor did i imply it, in any way. You said that the share button needs to be reprogrammed in order to be useful… that can only mean you think it’s useless right now, this is not misinterpretation, this is just you not being clear enough with your statements.
    It’s a shame you think it’s hard work to export the video’s to an external device, it really does open up more options for sharing than having local sharing only would ever give you.
    And no, usb ports don’t usually break after years of usage, unless it’s in a really poorly built device, like low-low-end.
    But anyway, you should really buy yourself a new laptop, should be useful in any case, and just export clips to usb and you will never use local sharing again, i know that i won’t even if youtube sharing does come.

The phrase “don’t try to make yourself seem smarter than you are” to implies stupidity to me and I took it as a personal attack, however, I’m willing to accept you meant nothing by it. It’s easy to be misinterpreted eh? I simply mentioned reassigning the button to something useful without saying it’s current use was not in fact, useful. My usb ports are broken simply because the metal terminals have worn down though lots of use (I had a job once that required me to use several usb devices though-out the day several times), thats what happens when metals rub against each other several thousand times, it eventually wears out. I would love to buy a new laptop, and even considered it at one point but it was either that or the PS4 as I’m not a wealthy person by any means and the PS4 won. I also don’t think its a bad thing being able to export, I have even mentioned I am happy that it is there. I like the idea of instantly being able to pause a game, edit a clip with basic functions and upload it to youtube and have it show on my PSN friends “Whats new” tab, then carry on playing. I simply commented here to give Sony MY opinion on what I would like, not for it to devolve into an argument about my computer or the manner in which I express my opinions. For that reason, I won’t post any more replies or come back here to check for any as this could go on forever. I hope you can see where I’m coming from.

Great update! I have some feature requests:
1. Use the Playstation App as a remote for bluray-movies and internet-browsing (Would be awesome!).
2. The ability to add web-apps to the home-screen (Youtube TV, Headweb etc..).
3. Media Center features (The PS4 has the needed specs).
4. Skype- or Google Hangout-support.
5. More accessibility features (screen reader, zoom etc. Also in games).
6. Improved and faster browser with support for plug-ins.
7. Voice commands in more languages.
8. Improved navigation on PS Store (Right now it is very confusing and difficult to use.)

I have more ideas, but that’s it for now. :)

rossthebassist 30 April, 2014 @ 1:09 am

love your list, did you ever see the PS3 store at launch? believe me the PS4 store is a god send lol

My List of wants>

1, Ability to appear offline
    2, PSN ID Name Change
    3, MP3 Playback within game and on broadcasts.
    4, Ability to have my party chat group audiable on my stream
    5, Pause Downloads
    6, Media Server Support.
    7, Only show recently accessed games on the home screen. EVERYTHING appears on it ATM making the Library area useless. Say accessed in the last 7 days.
    8, 3D Bluray Support.

My list is more along the tweaks, everything is there it just needs the options.

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 8:43 am

great list, i want to add:

9. Webbrower needs smooth zoom-in with R2 and zoom-out with L2
    10. full DLNA Support
    11. TuneIn App for internet radio
    12. local backward compatibility for PS1 and PS2 discs

eminhan 30 April, 2014 @ 9:26 am

are you sure with the plugins for browser? its like it would give more access to hackers and the next thing we will need will be virus scanners why dont you use youre pc or ipad/android tablet/pad for this?
    I can agree with the rest specially number 8 TO SLOW by the way on ps4 its not so confusing maybe because ps4 plus is always empty and it confuse you LOL We dont get anything on PS4 with our PLUS Except 1 lousy game or should i say special produced ( BONE FOR DOGS )

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 9:51 am

@eminhan
    I believe DARK91 thought about some adblocker plug-ins :D

Franky_Hun_33 30 April, 2014 @ 12:23 pm

+ 1 more: i think it would be great, if the PS4 would turn off automatically, when the dualshock 4 controller charged fully on stanby mode….

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

+1 more:

Ps4 needs “resume-play” after standby like PS Vita already supports

Fur-Fightr 30 April, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

+1 For number eight.

Cool update ;) But nothing major i wanted tho really :( Like MP3 playback(+ Photos & Video Playback) and DLNA and Folders and Save gameplay directly to YouTube + a few more. Hopefully we don’t have to wait another 5 months to get them to?

So many updates and still not being able to delete trophies from my trophy list sucks!

Andrefpvs 30 April, 2014 @ 1:49 am

In my opinion, you shouldn’t be able to delete trophies. What you should be able to do is delete trophy lists that are at 0%.

fps_d0minat0r 30 April, 2014 @ 12:00 pm

@ Andrefpvs
    Why not the games which are above 0%, where you think the game is rubbish and never plan on playing it again? It just gets in the way and takes longer for the trophy list to sync and load.
    If messages couldnt be deleted, would you also say only the blank ones should be able to be deleted?
    It makes no sense.

Andrefpvs 30 April, 2014 @ 7:45 pm

@fps_d0minat0r
    If you could delete actual trophies, you would be able to doctor your profile. For example, one could delete every trophy list where they weren’t able to achieve 100% completion and BAM — instant gaming legend that has completed every game they have.

Also, I have to note how terrible your analogy was. Seriously.

CreditDue 30 April, 2014 @ 1:15 am   34

I was hoping we would finally be able to change our gamertags.

Hopefully next time

NutzlastBaer 30 April, 2014 @ 1:23 am   35

Very poor update.

Rhyss_T456 30 April, 2014 @ 1:31 am   36

Nice update, but still lacks some features. The maximum players in a party chat is quite low and should be increased up to a minimum of 10 people. Also a message to say whether your friends are online or have gone offline which ps3 and xbox 360 had, where did it go?. Also when inviting people to party chat, its quite annoying that you have to add each person individually then send the invite, when you could just add everyperson at the same time and then send the invite. All these little features are making the ps4 look bad compared to xbox one and I know some people believe they have wasted their money and should’ve bought the xbox due to those little features.

JumPeRJumPzZ 30 April, 2014 @ 4:40 am

We dont need a higher player count for the Partys. 8 is enough. But we need a better Audio Codec for Party Chat.
    Makes the PS4 looking bad? The Xbone OS is awful and more complicated to use. Inviting people to a Party on the Xbone is not easier lol

UK_Rocklance 30 April, 2014 @ 1:38 am   37

Thumbs up for the addition of new light bar settings. Now if only the light bar will fade in and out to indicate charging when you are playing a game. It does that, but only when your PS4 is not doing anything. If you are playing a game, there is no indication. I imagine it is done this way so that a game that’s actually using the camera to read the light bar will not be confused, but for games that do not use this feature (ie. 98% of the games), I don’t see why it cannot show charging in progress.

Kandracar 30 April, 2014 @ 1:42 am   38

Good progress. Now music player suport please.

Khaliel 30 April, 2014 @ 1:51 am   39

This is all? Nothing more? 6 months after the PS4 release, we still need to go back to the PS3 if we want DLNA, media playback, and bluray 3D? Shame.

sweep_puppy 30 April, 2014 @ 1:58 am   40

Multiple accounts on PS Vita & also The abillity to Copy Video Files From USB to PS4 Console like you can on PS3 already

Yes, PS4 needs PS Vita support. I hate that Vita Content Manager on my PC.

Chaddy_Summy 30 April, 2014 @ 2:00 am   41

Still no DLNA? Rubbish

Bu3ouf91 30 April, 2014 @ 2:27 am   42

You’re awesome guys, long live PlayStation :D

badmad101 30 April, 2014 @ 2:28 am   43

What time is the update coming out

Great update with nice features but the PS4 is still missing many things I’d like to see

1. Ability to change PSN ID’s *(HUGE One for me and probably many others)
2. Add music to the PS4 from a external drive and listen while playing
3. Friends coming online and going offline notifications
4. Notifications for when friends start playing the same game you’re playing
5. Time since a person last signed in (Like the PS3 does)
6. Better management of what’s downloading (Pausing/Stopping current download)
7. Better management of apps/games on the home screen
8. More apps. Youtube, Twitch etc.

That’s what i can currently think of off the top of my head.
Keep up the amazing work guys.

PlayStation Nation!

Tipo-120B 30 April, 2014 @ 3:44 am

1. Being able to change PSN ID would need major DB modification (and serious money), without modification it would totaly destro the database. Not an easy or quick thing to do.

8. That will be down to Youtube and Twitch to right and submit to Sony. It’s not Sony’s fault with this one.

Maniacal_Ginger 30 April, 2014 @ 9:17 am

1. Agreed, I made my PSNID a while ago, and I’m starting to dislike it, this ability would be greatly appreciated.
    3. Agreed, the PS3 had this feature, why doesn’t the PS4? (This can be said for a lot of this list)

zydar2013 30 April, 2014 @ 2:55 am   45

Great update, thanks and keep up the good work :-)

Tipo-120B 30 April, 2014 @ 3:33 am   46

I can’t wait to see what people are going to use for profile pics! Bet the ban hammer will be getting a dusting off……. Sony, you don’t realise the can of worms you just opened hear. Ha ha!

danhfvcsd 30 April, 2014 @ 4:16 am   47

Media playback via USB and wifi please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phene90x 30 April, 2014 @ 4:34 am   48

Dlna media support, mate that happen i will make me so happy.

psychobudgie 30 April, 2014 @ 6:10 am

Won’t happen. It was something that was advertised on an announcement video for the Vita and 2 years later it still hasn’t appeared on it. There is no way they would go to the effort of integrating their own music service just to undermine it by allowing users to use their own alternatives. Doesn’t matter what is said or implied on social media by them.

Freakix 30 April, 2014 @ 8:27 am

Both, PS Vita and PS4 need DLNA support! Please Sony!

JumPeRJumPzZ 30 April, 2014 @ 4:49 am   49

I want my BASIC media features back.

Listening to Music from USB or HDD while playing a game or not (Music Unlimited already does that, so its not hard to create a simple app that runs like MU but plays our own MP3s)

BluRay Movie Playback improvements (BluRay movies really boot so slow, there is no thumbnail when a BD Movie is loaded, i had roblems to get Audio from some BluRay Movies so that has to improve)

3D BluRay Support. Cmon Sony, you heavily invested on that and this wasnt a feature from the beginning for the PS4??

DLNA. I still have to use my old loud PS3 for that. I dont get why this wasnt in from the beginning either like 3D BD.

OS Improvements. Let me delete Apps that i dont use (MU,VU, PlayRoom), change how games and Apps get displayed. Do that with categories. Apps, Games, Demos etc

Yes, please, I won’t buy a PS4 until it gets 3D BluRay support.

Porcupeth00 30 April, 2014 @ 1:50 pm

“I really wanna know who thought at Sony, that people want improvements for the Sharing Things on PS4. I didnt.
    I want my BASIC media features back.”

I wanted what this update brought
    I don’t want “basic media features”. I have no need of that, never used on PS3 and never will on PS4.
    People want different things.

nextgenbest92 30 April, 2014 @ 5:08 am   50

It needs the ps3′s media playback feautures& support for old turtle beach wireless headsets i.e the px3′sbecause at the moment even with the chat cable it still has trouble picking up background audio when playing games this is the same for all the old turtle beach wireless headsets so an update is needed

Load all