Posted 30 April

Try Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer free this weekend

Three multiplayer maps, three modes and co-op Extinction experience included

Have you been looking for an excuse to try Call of Duty: Ghosts? We’ve got you covered. This weekend for PlayStation fans, we’re making part of Call of Duty: Ghosts available for free in our multiplayer demo, including a selection of maps, modes and co-op for you to sink your teeth into.

Everything kicks off at 6.00pm on Friday and ends at 6.00pm on Monday but before you dive in with the demo, here’s some intel to get you prepared for your online bouts on Call of Duty: Ghosts.

The demo has three very different maps on offer. StrikeZone is a small fast paced map that favours SMGs and shotguns in the close confines of the stadium. If you manage to complete a field order challenge, which you obtain by picking up a randomly dropped blue suitcase in the field, you can call in a Kinectic Energy Missile strike which completely changes the way the map looks and plays!

Warhawk is a medium sized map, offering three distinct paths to battle over. Fans of long range weapons can take to the windows, which offer perfect sniping vantage points onto the street below. For those favouring the up close and personal experience, nip down the side alleys to surprise your enemy on their flank.

Prison Break takes us from urban environments into the jungle on the outskirts of a prison complex. Snipers will be right at home in this map, with vantage points ranging from cliff edges to a massive prison tower in the back corner. There’s plenty of cover, so make sure you move from point to point when traversing Prison Break for the best chances of success.

The three included modes also give you a taste of the different ways to play on offer in Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer.

Team Deathmatch needs no introduction – kills are all that matter here, whether you’re sniping from a window in Warhawk or shotgunning your way through the kitchen in Strike Zone.

Domination is all about the objective – three flags are placed around the map and holding each one acquires points. The key to victory here is holding at least two of the three flags for the majority of time to win, combining capturing ability with defending your held flags to come out on top. For the bravest of you out there, you can always try to capture and hold all three.

Search and Rescue is a traditional “plant the bomb” no respawn game mode found in many first person shooters – but with a twist. When you die, you drop your tags on the ground for everyone to see. If your teammate picks up those tags before the enemy does, you respawn and get yourself back into the fight. Not confident in attacking? Stay a little further back and gather the tags of your teammates – it’s just as important as being able to kill the rest of the enemy team.

On top of all that Multiplayer goodness, the co-op experience Extinction is also included in the demo. Extinction sets you against the Cryptids, an alien threat that emerged from under the Earth after a kinetic missile strike awoke them from deep underground. For your best chance at taking on Extinction mode, you want to work as a team, using different classes and making completing Hive Challenges a priority. Doing so earns you skill points, which makes you more powerful and better equipped to deal with the bigger threats that appear later in the map.

So there you have it – a quick guide to everything the demo has to offer. Let us know what mode you’ll be jumping into first in the comments below. See you online.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

44 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

kamz_nw1 30 April, 2014 @ 6:13 pm   1

Is this for PS3 only?

Is this PS3 only? Or also for PS4?

kriskrosbbk 30 April, 2014 @ 6:13 pm   3

PS4?

Pazknallie 30 April, 2014 @ 6:36 pm   4

I’m assuming this is both the PS3 and the PS4 version. The article doesn’t really explain it, though.

tehkeemo 30 April, 2014 @ 6:37 pm   5

Its both PS4 & PS3 – why they just couldn’t add complete info on EU blog as well?

src: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/30/call-of-duty-ghosts-multiplayer-demo-coming-this-weekend

can you launch it before the official time so that we can pre-download it and unlock it ? here in India the networks are very slow … we have to wait long time to download it and it will be over by the time we download it .. though the networks are fast enough to play the game downloading takes time .. :(

jerlaak97 30 April, 2014 @ 7:04 pm   7

There better be a discount coming up too. I don’t really care about this game. It’s fun since CoDs are really the only game that all my friends play so… Maybe I’ll buy it if there’s a reasonable discount

Vladesku12 30 April, 2014 @ 7:25 pm   8

“Have you been looking for an excuse to try Call of Duty: Ghosts? We’ve got you covered.”
This whole game is a sad excuse for a Call of Duty…

But hell, i’ll try this demo. It may very well be the last new CoD i play.
(unless you bring Modern Warfare 4 out, which you will, for teh moneyz)

Immortal-Wolf-- 30 April, 2014 @ 7:34 pm   9

hi liam this is so a bad idea to have a free demo online as follows cod ghosts there are so many people including myself hate this I.W creation as its just the same as MW3 game play as ghosts feel the same way many have returned to BO.II as tryarch is the better makers to COD games I know this because if you know my REP on COD games then your know I am correct in what I am writing.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 30 April, 2014 @ 7:40 pm   10

dark_angel69 30 April, 2014 @ 7:40 pm   11

Why you doing the demo now and not years ago? The game not selling anymore?

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 30 April, 2014 @ 7:53 pm   12

in future people will only buy tryarch Call of Duty games as infinity ward has failed in producing what Cod users need in weapon layout and in shooting layout I use the duel pistols a lot and ghosts duel pistols are sooo weak but BO II duel pistols are same powered as all the rest of the weapons also the reason I hate ghosts sooo much is every gun people use thermal camp the kill and cog perk is unlocked at rank 40 so you may understand there’s no balance in cod ghosts its annoying as hell to spawn die by thermal campers x15 in a row cod ghosts is the worst cod game ever made so far… That’s a fact…

Vladesku12 30 April, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

Treyarch aint too good either. Their only good game is Black Ops 2 imo.
    While Infinity Ward made the first CoDs, which were good, and the MWs.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 30 April, 2014 @ 10:10 pm   13

@Vladesku12 you have no clue do you your a div as why you don’t know do you Vince Zampella and Jason West was the creators of the Call of Duty games but yours truly on this web page kicked them of the own creation the main cast who built the Call of Duty games are at treyarch well whats left of the crew as Vince Zampella and Jason West are the creators of the new game Titanfall and look how many they sold of that game more than any other Call of Duty game so far as for hot news for todays topic The creators of Dead Space are making this year’s Call of Duty 2014 with treyarch so Vladesku12 you have no idea what your talking about so stop speaking BS!

Tipo-120B 30 April, 2014 @ 10:49 pm

Before you call on anyone being a div and talking BS, go back and read your posts to yourself. Those are, without doubt, THE most horrendously written posts I have ever had the misfortune to read!

I’m no grammar cop but that’s a joke! What the h**l are you saying?

Vladesku12 1 May, 2014 @ 7:14 am

I meant the old games Infinity Ward made…

KamilHam 1 May, 2014 @ 9:27 am   14

Will be an option of early Downloads ?

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 1 May, 2014 @ 10:25 am   15

@Tipo-120B just like a troll you are reason I left PS-Home as trolls like you on there argue the facts and become a div like others who doesn’t even follow the gaming news. @Vladesku12 I meant the old games Infinity Ward made… = Vince Zampella and Jason West made the call of duty engine not Infinity Ward ok as Infinity Ward are screwing up the call of duty engine hence MW3 was MW2.5 lol. @Tipo-120B I have dylslexia so my Punctuation is way of as it’s not a illness it’s a disability so I make up for it in wiping the floor with people like you on call of duty games ha ha ha….

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 1 May, 2014 @ 10:46 am   16

BIGGEST REASON CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS FAIL IS SPAWN TRAPPING AND AIM BOTS AS FOLLOWS CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS DOMINATION OVER 300 KILLS IN 1 MATCH USING AIM BOT AND SPAWN TRAPPING INFINITY WARD DOE’S NOT CARE ABOUT IT AND THEY DON’T DO ANYTHING TO STOP IT UPDATES PATCH DOES’NT FIX IT AS THERES PEOPLE WHO JUST HACK IT EVEN MORE TO LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN THANKS INFINITY WARD FOR MESSING UP CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE!!!

juansheet32 1 May, 2014 @ 12:13 pm   17

do i need ps plus to play the demo???

moriarty1975 2 May, 2014 @ 12:06 pm   18

It’s on the store now for PS3/PS4

SvenCraft1153 2 May, 2014 @ 12:25 pm   19

So its for PS3? And whats the time zone because im in a different one i think?

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 2 May, 2014 @ 4:43 pm   21

Theres already hackers on call of duty ghosts online demo people flying mid air using god mode and aim bot shooting its hacked to hell since 20 mins release OMG! I known this would happen!!

dark_angel69 2 May, 2014 @ 5:02 pm

The game was hacked before it was even released so not surprised with that

Desensitized-V4 2 May, 2014 @ 6:07 pm   22

Do I need ps plus for play?

Desensitized-V4 2 May, 2014 @ 6:08 pm   23

Do I need ps plus for download this?*

JAMBO4170 2 May, 2014 @ 6:22 pm   24

Ok it says 6pm. Am I the only person who can’t find it?

dark_angel69 2 May, 2014 @ 8:51 pm

Download it from their website. I started downloading it since 2pm or so

AkimbOxLUCx 2 May, 2014 @ 6:27 pm   25

It’s neither showing up on the PS4 store nor on the web store for me. Is Germany excluded?

BIG_NICE_NAME 2 May, 2014 @ 6:49 pm   26

I can’t see it in the playstation plus store for ps4? It’s gone 6pm GMT …

BIG_NICE_NAME 2 May, 2014 @ 7:09 pm   27

Found it! Go to ps store at the very top click the call of duty title in there it’s in a bold font next to FIFA and kill zone guys !

AkimbOxLUCx 2 May, 2014 @ 7:21 pm   28

The lack of feedback on this blog always baffles me. It’s not up in Germany. Why is this information not in the original post from this quote on quote Community Manager? Or comment on it. Something. Me and probably many others are wasting our time here. /rant

JAMBO4170 2 May, 2014 @ 9:12 pm

Basically if we’re not American, Sony don’t give a (CENSORED). On ps3 I had an American account because the US store was so much better with more stuff on it. The ps4 store is a joke right now but it is in there. Find the ghosts gold edition and you will find it.

xFREAKc 2 May, 2014 @ 7:28 pm   29

Im still searching but i think this isn’t for germans. Not that sad cuz game sucks but i love free content!

dark_angel69 2 May, 2014 @ 8:53 pm

This was in the store update post

PS3 demos
    Call Of Duty: Ghosts Multiplayer (Starts Friday 2nd May)
    Pegi:16

So looks like you can get it

ilovemyducks3220 2 May, 2014 @ 7:38 pm   30

add me all

iamthelloyd 2 May, 2014 @ 9:29 pm   31

OK, for PS4 (as someone has stated above)
- Open up store
- Hover over ‘Featured’
- click right
- under the the massive Playstation Store (auto vid) screen is ‘Games’, highlight the ‘Games’ rectangle.
- click X (you should be highlighting Amazing Spider-Man 2 now).
- click up twice, then right to highlight the ‘Call of Duty’ square.
- click X.
- you should now be hovering over the PS4 MP demo of Ghosts.

Nice one SCEE you couldn’t have made that any harder if you tried….

iamthelloyd 2 May, 2014 @ 9:32 pm

Just realised, you might not be highlighting Amazing Spider-Man 2 on your first go. If not, you should be highlighting the ‘Fifa’ tile, and if so, just click right to the ‘Call of Duty’ tile, then click X.

Lt_Combo 4 May, 2014 @ 10:38 am   32

Haha, the demo is really hard to find on the PS4 and I missed this article .. if it wasn’t for neogaf I wouldn’t have known about the demo and even if I read this I would probably have thought it was PS3 only since it was almost hidden in the PS4 store. Shame though, I would have liked to try it ,.. I would have if I had known on Friday but my main problem is that like the PSv download list the PS4 library for some reason shows demo’s and you can’t delete them. And for that reason, I don’t try any demo’s on PS4 and VITA. But I might have tried COD if I had known .. kinda bored with BF4 at the moment want a new FPS, was thinking about getting COD, but I’m really burned out on the series .. so this would be an opportunity to see if I liked it. I would have risked the permanent useless COD ghost image in my library to try it.

What bothers me the most, is that after the weekend the demo won’t even work anymore … it will be completely useless yet it will remain in my library ..

I really hope Sony fixes and organizes the download list/library a little better. Categories etc would be nice. Being able to delete demo/beta content from the library would be even better.

Lt_Combo 6 May, 2014 @ 8:40 am   33

LOL .. not even a single reply from Liam Ashley … who somehow managed to misspell his own name (unless it was someone from the blog staff that wrote his name as Liam Ashely) anyway .. kinda sad, I mean .. the guy is supposed to be a community manager .. often people who post stuff here esp community managers etc will reply to answer questions. But I guess I didn’t miss much as many people who have the game don’t like it. Even hardcore COD people (I used to be one). I mean .. just take a look at the PSN store. On the Dutch store, only about 250 people rated COD ghost .. while nearly 15 000 have rated BF4 .. have no idea how well it sold in retail.. but digitally BF4 is destroying COD

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 7 May, 2014 @ 2:03 pm   34

I love it when I prove I am right

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare 4.11.14 made by the people who made dead space game so any other psn user said I was wrong are total fools ha ha ha

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 7 May, 2014 @ 2:14 pm   35

Kevin Spacey is the main actor in the new Call of Duty Advanced Warfare coming November 2014 about time they bring in the top guns to bring chaos in the Call of Duty franchise Kevin Spacey we all welcome you to Call of Duty now lets hope they bring in Samuel L. Jackson as that would be epic too.