Posted 2:00pm

Horror adventure Among the Sleep is coming to PS4

Krillbite Studio’s much-anticipated ‘toddler horror’ out soon

Hello everyone! The last few years have been an exhilarating ride for us at Krillbite. We’ve been hard at work on our toddler-horror project Among the Sleep for quite a while now, and what started out as a humble student project has escalated into something much bigger than we expected.

Among the Sleep is a first person horror adventure where you play as a two-year-old. You’re vulnerable, scared, and trying to make sense of the world. It explores horror through atmosphere and exploration, not with scores and combat systems.

Among the Sleep screen

Merging a child’s perception of reality with its wild imagination provides an interesting setting to tell a story. With only your teddy bear as a companion, we hope players will unravel what is actually causing the fear and confusion.

The in-game clip below should paint a pretty accurate picture of what the game plays like.

Thanks to great support around the web, the project even resulted in a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised an incredible $248,358! Up to that point, we had been working on the project for two years, while studying and working part time jobs to finance it, so this was an incredibly humbling experience.

It even resulted in ice creams for the whole team!

Among the Sleep photo

Lots of people are still playing the free demo that we launched during the campaign, and journalists around the world continue reaching out to us with questions about the game. As a young and small indie studio from the northern outskirts of Europe, working on our first big project ever, this feels incredible. We’ve always wanted to explore the game medium, and maybe even contribute towards making it a more diverse place, but we did not expect the project to receive this much positive response!

Lately we’ve also slowly started to realise we’re getting close. That the game is really shaping up, and we’re approaching the end! We want as many people as possible to be able play Among the Sleep when it’s released in the not-so-distant future, so I guess it’s no better time to announce that Among the Sleep will also be coming to PS4! We’re also thrilled to be among the first to explore Sony’s new virtual reality technology Morpheus for Among the Sleep.

Finally, if you’re one of our Kickstarter backers, don’t worry – we’re working on a plan to ensure you get a fair deal on the PS4 version of the game. More details to follow.

Anyhow, we should get back to working on wrapping up the game. Stay tuned for more news and announcements in the very near future!

You can follow the development of Among the Sleep on our Facebook, Twitter and blog!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

Rochala 13 May, 2014 @ 2:09 pm   1

I really don’t like First Person games, but the idea seems interesting. Are you going to give a demo for ps4?

vicheous 13 May, 2014 @ 2:21 pm   2

Awsome… Detta skal kjøpes ;-)

Tridentmorph 13 May, 2014 @ 2:25 pm   3

This looks really interesting. I second the call for ps4 demo please.

Ole Andreas Jordet 13 May, 2014 @ 2:31 pm   4

Hi Rochala and thank you! There will definitely be a demo. :)

Rochala 13 May, 2014 @ 2:54 pm

That’s great!
    I wish more developers could see how important is a demo.

zalwelgoedgaan 13 May, 2014 @ 3:00 pm

Yep, more developers could learn from you. Even Sony.

robbo1337 13 May, 2014 @ 2:36 pm   5

I backed it via Kickstarter so happy to see it come to PS4 too

ShadowGandalf 13 May, 2014 @ 2:48 pm   6

Ah, this game! I saw Jim Sterling play an early preview of it in April last year. It looked interesting.

I like horror games, especially when you play a vulnerable character. And you don’t get much more vulnerable than a 2 year old. I loved Outlast, though Daylight left a bad taste due it’s bugs and ‘not-very-good’ gameplay. I’ll probably pick this one up though.

ThreeWallzz 13 May, 2014 @ 2:52 pm   7

demo was awesome!game is pretty unique and fresh

zalwelgoedgaan 13 May, 2014 @ 3:17 pm   8

Is this game playtested by 2 year olds?

ScooterMix 13 May, 2014 @ 3:19 pm   9

dear creator think made a great idea game and it looks really next gen for ps4 so really im going to play this game and if i like it ill buy this game seems instresting than outlast ask me.

kingofscotland 13 May, 2014 @ 3:20 pm   10

Really look forward to playing this and think it sounds and looks perfect for Morpheus especially with the surround sound Sony have been working on with Morpheus – could be very immersive

THE_FORCE 13 May, 2014 @ 3:21 pm   11

Gutted that it’s set in the first person.

Looks like I’ll have to skip this then. :/

AlexAtkinUK 13 May, 2014 @ 5:57 pm

What a silly attitude, the game simply wouldn’t work any other way.

You need to be in first person view to “see” from the childs perspective. This applies even more to virtual reality where first person is essential, as you are literally stepping into the game.

THE_FORCE 13 May, 2014 @ 8:01 pm

I suffer from 3D/Motion sickness, which anything set in the first person view has a habit of eliciting- which is why I’ll have to skip it.
    Do you think the game wouldn’t work with an optional 3rd person view?

HeelPunk 13 May, 2014 @ 3:33 pm   12

I very rarely comment on ps blog articles but i felt i had to on this one. i just wanna say im really impressed by what i see and i cant wait to give this a go. the fact you turned a student project into this blows my mind and i hope this game does really well for you guys. is there a timeframe for a ps4 demo and will a ps4 demo come out before the game is released? best of luck with the game

Ole Andreas Jordet 13 May, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

Hi HeelPunk. Thanks a lot for your kind words and support! :) There is no official timeframe yet, but we will announce more on this later.

HeelPunk 13 May, 2014 @ 4:22 pm

No problem man. thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my comment as i really appreciate you doing that. cant wait to hear more about this game and the demo and eventually get my hands on it. this is at the top of my most wanted indie games list and there are alot of great games on there

Ole Andreas Jordet 13 May, 2014 @ 5:31 pm   13

Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for the awesome feedback and support for our game! We look forward to bring Among the Sleep to the PS4. :)

- Love from the Krillbite team

iamdark1988 13 May, 2014 @ 7:25 pm

Regarding your earlier comment about 2 year olds play testing the game. Do you mind giving me early access and I’ll get my son to play test it! Worth a shot ;) (I really would get my son to play test it though)

ocelot07 13 May, 2014 @ 5:43 pm   14

Watched a youtuber named JackFrags playing this a few days ago. Looks really good. I think I will be getting this for PS4.

hokopl 13 May, 2014 @ 5:47 pm   15

Good luck to You Andreas and the whole team. I am rly looking forward to play this game:) PlayStation Nation loves horror games :)

TrueMurton 13 May, 2014 @ 6:16 pm   16

This looks great. I like a good horror game that relies on something more than “jump scares” and the idea of playing as a two year old is definitely gives rise for some interesting looking up at high places stuff for the second playthrough where you just want to explore the world.

Will be keeping an eye out for this.

Witcher70 13 May, 2014 @ 7:30 pm   17

I’m in ! wish i knew about the kickstarter i would have backed it in a heartbeat, still its a day one purchase for me and don’t care about price :)

dark_angel69 13 May, 2014 @ 9:33 pm   18

Wow this game looks great. I’m liking what I see. And even better with it being on VR. Sounds like an opportunity to put away adulthood for a while and be a child again only this time can remember our childhood memories. hehe

fredrikselvig 13 May, 2014 @ 9:33 pm   19

Yes! This is great news. Tusen takk :)

bitbydeath 13 May, 2014 @ 11:32 pm   20

Looks like a great game to add VR support on. ;-)

Amnalehu 14 May, 2014 @ 12:02 am   21

Thanks for bringing this game to the PS4! It sounds like a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to playing it!

Syph33r 14 May, 2014 @ 1:21 am   22

Such an interesting concept and looks to be really well executed that I cant help feel sorry for the little kid!

MightyMonkeyMan 14 May, 2014 @ 10:40 am   23

OUTLAST BABIES EDITION! looks like a really good concept

smokey777 16 May, 2014 @ 6:25 pm   24

hi Krillbite Im a backer for the PC version but is their anyway to change to the PS4 version?

many thanks Smokey