Posted 2 June

FPS sequel Homefront: The Revolution revealed for PS4

First screens and trailer from Crytek’s follow-up to the 2011 shooter

On behalf of Crytek Nottingham, I’m incredibly proud to announce our latest title: Homefront: The Revolution!

Some of you may have already heard that Crytek was developing the next Homefront game – we’ve been working on it for almost three years now – but I don’t think anyone suspected just how radically we have overhauled the first person shooter formula this time around.

Homefront: The Revolution is a game about guerrilla warfare. We’ve built upon the core pillars of Crytek’s FPS design philosophy – emergent gameplay and player freedom in a sandbox world – to create our most ambitious title to date.

HOMEFRONT THE REVOLUTION ANNOUNCE 5

Set in Occupied Philadelphia in a nightmare near-future dystopia, Homefront: The Revolution casts the player as a civilian-turned-freedom-fighter who must rise up and lead the Resistance against a superior military force and ignite the Second American Revolution.

This is no linear shooter – within the open world structure, you will have to master the art of guerrilla warfare and use sabotage, assassination, deception, infiltration and hit-and-run tactics to erode your enemy’s iron grip on the city.

Homefront: The Revolution will also feature four-player co-op, allowing you and your friends to form a Resistance Cell and work together to overthrow the KPA regime. We’ve just released our first trailer, created in-engine using our bleeding edge CRYENGINE technology, and we’ll be revealing our world premiere gameplay demo next week at E3.

We’re really excited to be working on this fascinating premise of guerrilla war on your own Homefront, and hope you are too at our vision for the game.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Cube1701 2 June, 2014 @ 2:09 pm   1

While I’d much prefer TimeSplitters or something new from you guys at Crytek UK/Nottingham (the first Homefront I rented but sent back after a few missions), I’m still interested to see your take on the game.

fps_d0minat0r 2 June, 2014 @ 2:17 pm   2

What about competitive multiplayer?

Paul2007 2 June, 2014 @ 2:20 pm   3

I have been looking forward to this since it was known Crytek were onboard. The original Homefront had a great premise and therefore huge potential but the majority was unfortunately never realised. THQ should never have released in that state but it was enjoyable in parts and the multiplayer was not your standard fare and quite fun.

Homefront The Revolution will have the production values the original should have had but it is built on AAA tech. I have very high hopes for this guys.

After HTR we all still want a Timesplitters. The mob has spoken!!!

malmarius 2 June, 2014 @ 2:24 pm   4

I loved the first homefront but hated that the story ended just after it got interesting. Please make a longer campaign. Learn from Wolfenstine on campaign length and not from COD

johnnycide 2 June, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

If this is half as good as Wolfenstien then we’re in for a good time!

UK_Rocklance 2 June, 2014 @ 4:23 pm

The trailer certainly has a bit of Wolfenstein feel to it, except it’s not as futuristic.

I hope they also learn from Wolfenstein and just focus on single-player. Co-op is good if the multi-players tackle the story campaign together (ala Borderlands). But don’t make that a separate (and short) set of missions. And, whatever you do, definitely no horde mode pls! (And no raid bosses pls! And no zombies :P)

You are not going to beat CoD or BF in competitive mp (you are certainly not going to invest enough time and money to reach that level), so don’t even try. No point doing a half-cooked effort that becomes a ghost town after a week.

Invest in making the sp a better, longer and more satisfying experience, including a good story (Wolfenstein is surprisingly good in the story and character aspect).

johnnycide 2 June, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

I really think that the industry is moving away from the whole “3 hour campaign and tacked on multiplayer” now. It’s been done to death and it’s starting to look like more single player focused titles sell more. Wolfenstien seems to have been a hit, and Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us both made a lot of money.
    Hopefully developers will craft dedicated MP (like Payday 2 or Titanfall) games and give the likes of this room to breathe.

medenko1975 2 June, 2014 @ 2:25 pm   5

wow, any ETA?

European_Gamer 2 June, 2014 @ 3:20 pm

2015, confirmed in the info under the video(on YouTube).

Szczurek88 2 June, 2014 @ 2:32 pm   6

Open world FPS set in a city? Well, you have my attention :) I’m sick of open world games set in jungle/island/mountains etc.

ScooterMix 2 June, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

so open world game well look like buy old HomeFront to understand story. but i look into more if i like story to homefront 2

Couldn’t agree more with Cube1701. TimeSplitters is well overdue a return. Come on Crytek! The fanbase is there, you know it makes sense! At least release HD editions of TS2/TS:FP. See how well they sell.

johnnycide 2 June, 2014 @ 3:01 pm   8

Yes! Really pleased this is happening. I was in the minority of people who really, really liked Homefront. I picked it up for under a tenner and found it B-Movie fun with a solid single player campaign. This looks like it may be a much better game though.

ScooterMix 2 June, 2014 @ 3:05 pm   9

I want tell truth be honest since got questions

1.Is Homefront 2 NEXT GEN Game
2.Is it be coming to ps4,xboxone,PC only
3. Is It open world game

LieutenantFatman 2 June, 2014 @ 3:31 pm   10

Could be good. Would have much preferred a Timesplitters game though.

illage2 3 June, 2014 @ 8:38 am

They are actually working on a Multiplayer Only PC exclusive version of Timesplitters which is a bit disapointing to be honest.

NYPUNK88 2 June, 2014 @ 4:23 pm   11

It looks cool, I guess. I’m getting a strong Killzone vibe from this though.

I hope this turns out to be good, although this CGI trailer doesn’t do much to sell me on the game at this point – CGI rarely does though; show me the game, not the intro video.

I’d (far, far, far) rather have seen Timesplitters, but I’m glad to see Crytek Nottingham (not UK anymore?) are approaching the release of their new game at last. Good luck people.

Apologies, I note the trailer is ‘in-engine’ and the game supports 4p co-op – that’s more interesting. Hopefully when we see the game I can get more excited.

xampage 2 June, 2014 @ 4:47 pm   14

Look guys!
Killzone and infamous had a baby!
And it looks generic.

Ishan_The_King 2 June, 2014 @ 5:05 pm   15

Will pre-order asap. Really liked Homefront and this is poised to be better than the original. Also, I do expect a longer sp campaign this time around.

lamora-supcharls 2 June, 2014 @ 5:33 pm   16

looks great, cant wait to see more at E3 2014 :D

illage2 3 June, 2014 @ 8:37 am   17

Is this a PS4 exclusive? Glad to see it finally got the sequel though.

TamKing 3 June, 2014 @ 11:12 am   18

Yet another CGI trailer/touched up PC footage that does not represent how the final game will look and play on ps4,trailer was designed to build hype not show in game footage. Borderline false advertisement.

TamKing 3 June, 2014 @ 11:19 am   19

CGI/PC footage that dose not represent the final product on ps4,borderline false advertising in my opinion.