Posted 3:30pm

Eccentric adventure Night In The Woods is coming to PS4

A weird, wonderful new project with a heavy focus on story, character and place

We’re super happy to announce that Night In The Woods is coming out for PS4! You’ll be able to play our little game in the comfort of your living room, den or Dedicated PlayStation Room.

Night In The Woods is an adventure/exploration game with a heavy focus on story, character and place. You’ll be doing some running and jumping around, a lot of extracurricular activities, some bass playing, some smashing of things, and a lot of hanging out with your townie friends.

14351464163_ffa6b263e9_o

Night In The Woods takes place in the crumbling town of Possum Springs, a dead-end backwater that is barely holding on after the mining jobs left. Mae the cat is a college dropout who has returned home to reclaim her teenage life with her friends who stayed in town. Bea stayed home from college to take over the family business after a death sent her family into a tailspin. Gregg and Angus are highschool sweethearts, working hard to get out of Possum Springs. Germ is a weird kid that hangs around. No one knows what his deal is.

What Mae finds, however, is that life and her friends moved on while she was away. Strange things are happening to her and to the town. Things are changing. And there’s something in the woods up behind the park that might mean an end to all of it.

14308128606_a28351231b_o

Night In The Woods is a story about letting go and holding on. We wanted to create something that got into some ideas that were kicking around in our heads, themes that hopefully resonate with a lot of people. We wanted to create characters people could identify with and the kind of town a lot of people are from, but with more talking animal people. Most towns don’t have more than a few talking animal people probably. If yours does, please get in touch.

Alec probably summed it up best: Night In The Woods is a game about the inevitability of death… and pizza parties.

We’re really excited. Are you excited? You should be excited. This is going to be rad and we’re so glad to be able to share our little game with you. We’ll have more info as time goes on, but for now we’ll be happy to chatter with you in the comments section.

14144603719_e4804d57ff_o

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

28 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first
madmanwithabox12 4 June, 2014 @ 3:33 pm   1

Vita?

Indiestation 4 :) Lol… though I agree that many of the indie games so far have been a blast.

benzopil 4 June, 2014 @ 3:44 pm   3

Vita version pleeeeeeease! This is exactly my type of game, Vita is perfect for such great games: Murasaki Baby, Road Not Taken and I really hope to be able to play Night In The Woods on Vita too.

TomJClarke 4 June, 2014 @ 3:46 pm   4

The art style reminds me of Regular Show.

demonsgalore 4 June, 2014 @ 3:50 pm   5

Thank you for all this awesome Indie Games.

THE_FORCE 4 June, 2014 @ 3:53 pm   6

Looks excellent – a definite purchase from me. ;)

HomessaHomem 4 June, 2014 @ 3:55 pm   7

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

HomessaHomem 4 June, 2014 @ 3:56 pm   8

I WANT THIS IN MY VITA pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

JoeB423 4 June, 2014 @ 3:57 pm   9

Man, the aesthetic is awesome – love the art and the music from that trailer. Any chance of a Vita version?

zalwelgoedgaan 4 June, 2014 @ 4:01 pm   10

Agreed, I really love the mood of this game. Vita version please!

onlineatron 4 June, 2014 @ 4:02 pm   11

whoa there folks….

this, as far as i know, is being made by TWO people. they are bring the game to FOUR platforms already. hold back on the vita demands, you know?

zalwelgoedgaan 4 June, 2014 @ 4:07 pm

Vita means life. This game is about life and death. It makes perfect sense to release this on the Vita with the glorious OLED screen that will make this colorful art style pop.

Unless you own the inferior, newer Vita. XP

kivi95 4 June, 2014 @ 4:03 pm   12

Now this one have a nice looking art direction unlike the other ibdie game announced today!

onlineatron 4 June, 2014 @ 4:05 pm   13

btw in england we call pizza parties ‘hot cheese disc friend togethers’. bear that in mind

onlineatron 4 June, 2014 @ 4:06 pm   14

btw night in the woods has been my super jam since you guys ran the kickstarter…..this news is everything to me :)

link1983 4 June, 2014 @ 4:06 pm   15

Eccentric? Don’t you mean bloody disturbing. A bunch of cute animated animals talking about death. . . A lot. The tagline at the end too. . . ‘At the end of everything, hold on to anything’??? What in gods name. This must have been developed in an area where depression is seen as the norm. :/

onlineatron 4 June, 2014 @ 4:15 pm

weird take on it??

it’s beautiful to me. in great struggle we let down our defences and hold on to whatever or whomever we can for comfort. an incredibly human message, not depressing at all. and even if battling with depression inspired the game, that’s not a thing to look down on. the game is going to help a lot of people deal with their own heads

link1983 4 June, 2014 @ 7:04 pm

@Onlineatron I have been battling with Depression since 2009, This trailer did not help me at all. (I understand it’s not the full experience) I was never looking down on it and I am sorry if that’s how it reads. Everyday is a freaking struggle, even playing games can seem too much, but I find whimsical funny things helps me. I understand it wouldn’t work that way for everyone but I can’t say I want to play this. It’s the first time a game has made me feel this way.

onlineatron 4 June, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

sorry for talking as if i knew you, it was presumptious and rude. i find art that describes how i feel helps me accept my issues as something other than freakish, which is positive for me. i can see how works that help you forget about the tough stuff could be equally as helpful.

i feel like these guys, scott benson and alec holowka, really ‘get it’ though. they talk on twitter about themes and thoughts that really resonate with me. i’m looking forward to night in the woods because of that—i want to explore their experiences futher

i find it great that we both have such strong yet opposite reactions to the game. it shows that video games are evolving to a point where real emotion and attachment can be drawn from them outside of ‘it feels good to shoot these guys.’ super glad these sort of experiences are coming to ps4

trillo81 4 June, 2014 @ 4:26 pm   16

I wil buy it for sure, October Road was one of my favourite tv shows and this game reminds me of it, with animals and a great, bittersweet sense of humour. Great work!!!

Timebat 4 June, 2014 @ 4:49 pm   17

This game’s a little bit interesting, but I will have to wait for a review of it to see if it is good enough or not.

Stu_Ark 4 June, 2014 @ 4:54 pm   18

OH MY GOD THIS IS ALL MY YES.

DrunkLemmiwinks 4 June, 2014 @ 5:18 pm   19

Looks nice! Reminds me a bit of the clip to Enjoy the Ride by Morcheeba.

thekillingspree 4 June, 2014 @ 6:02 pm   20

Vita is winking so sexily at “Night In The Woods” that it’s truly heartbreaking you guys skipped a version for it.

I know you most likely have too much on your hands to consider a Vita release for now, but please don’t put the possibility aside completely… Just look at all the Vita owners drooling for this game on this thread ;)

zalwelgoedgaan 4 June, 2014 @ 6:28 pm   21

“We’ll have more info as time goes on, but for now we’ll be happy to chatter with you in the comments section.”

STILL WAITING

thekillingspree 4 June, 2014 @ 7:11 pm   22

The only thing truly needed to be chatted about is a Vita version of this wonderful thing.

Witcher70 5 June, 2014 @ 2:21 am   23

Looks beautiful, Yeah take my money now please :)

YimSiphny 5 June, 2014 @ 1:45 pm   24

Looks gorgeous, can’t wait to see more. Bring it to Vita and I’ll love you forever. Probably.