Posted 5:30pm

PlayStation Store charts, May: Watch_Dogs takes top honours

Find out what the big sellers were on PlayStation Store over the last month

May proved a busy month on PlayStation Store with a number of big new titles hitting the racks. Which came out on top? Well, it should come as no surprise that future-crime epic Watch_Dog‘s took the crown on PS4, seeing off competition from other newcomers Transistor and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Over on PS3, Minecraft ruled the day, while on Vita there were top five debuts for God of War Collection, Soul Sacrifice Delta and Borderlands 2. Full charts below!

PS4

1. Watch_Dogs (New)
  2. Trials Fusion (1)
  3. Child of Light (6)
  4. Daylight (11)
  5. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (Re-entry)
  6. Transistor (New)
  7. Outlast (8)
  8. Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry (17)
  9. Wolfenstein: The New Order (New)
  10. FIFA 14 (10)
  11. Octodad: Dadliest Catch (4)
  12. Bound by Flame (New)
  13. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (New)
  14. Cel Damage HD (New)
  15. inFAMOUS Second Son (2)
  16. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (New)
  17. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (3)
  18. MLB 14 The Show (New)
  19. Call of Duty: Ghosts (14)
  20. SteamWorld Dig (15)

PS Vita

1. Assassin’s Creed III Liberation (RE)
  2. FIFA 14 (RE)
  3. God of War Collection (New)
  4. Soul Sacrifice Delta (New)
  5. Borderlands 2 (New)
  6. Rayman Legends (RE)
  7. Dead Nation (6)
  8. F1 2011 (RE)
  9. Persona 4 Golden (RE)
  10. The Walking Dead: Season Two (15)
  11. Real Boxing (RE)
  12. SteamWorld Dig (RE)
  13. Terraria (5)
  14. Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (RE)
  15. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (RE)
  16. Rayman Origins (RE)
  17. LUFTRAUSERS (RE)
  18. Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut (RE)
  19. Fruit Ninja (RE)
  20. Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (New)

PS3

1. Minecraft (1)
  2. Far Cry 3 (RE)
  3. Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (14)
  4. Watch_Dogs (New)
  5. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (RE)
  6. The Walking Dead – Season Two (RE)
  7. Need for Speed Most Wanted (RE)
  8. The Walking Dead – Season One (RE)
  9. F1 2012 (RE)
  10. Prince of Persia Trilogy (RE)
  11. NBA 2K14 (RE)
  12. Injustice: Gods Among Us (RE)
  13. Splinter Cell Blacklist (RE)
  14. Rayman Legends (RE)
  15. Okami HD (RE)
  16. Batman Arkham Origins (RE)
  17. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (RE)
  18. Mirror’s Edge (RE)
  19. Soulcalibur V (RE)
  20. DiRT3 (RE)

PS one and PS2 Classics:

1. Metal Gear Solid (7)
  2. Crash Bandicoot (1)
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (RE)
  4. Rayman (RE)
  5. Silent Hill (RE)
  6. Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped (2)
  7. DISNEY’S ACTION GAME FEAT. HERCULES (RE)
  8. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (3)
  9. CTR: Crash Team Racing (5)
  10. Rayman 2 The Great Escape (RE)

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

supersmith2500 6 June, 2014 @ 5:34 pm   1

I see Minecraft still tops the PS3 sales. Must be a really popular game. Can any other game top it off?

Archacus 6 June, 2014 @ 5:51 pm

I’m not sure… but I wouldn’t say that it is success of Minecraft, rather it is massive failure of other digital games…. I’m sometimes wondering how many people actualy buy those games… for example how many people bought Dirt3 (20th position)… 100? 1000?

And about Minecraft… well it has its fans right? It is innovative “game”.. or maybe rather program? Not my thing, but I’m not suprised that people are buying it.

And lack of Drakengard 3 is rather nice news.

Physical > digital

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:02 pm

Minecraft … one of the reasons is that minecraft does not have an insane pricepoint like watch dogs who would pay 70 euros still for a dead system like ps3 when ps5 is out

DanielMeier 6 June, 2014 @ 6:16 pm

What the hell the PS5 is out, why did i spend money on a PS4. You Germans get all the good stuff.

i bought dirt 3

jorispelgrom 6 June, 2014 @ 5:41 pm   2

Really sad to see no Tearaway on the Vita’s charts, but a game like Fruit Ninja…

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 5:50 pm

Yeah, it really deserved more sales. :/

Archacus 6 June, 2014 @ 5:58 pm

I don’t find it sad…

I mean the price is much higher than in any normal shop for physical version…

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 6:04 pm

@Arc: Tearaway was €25 at launch (an excellent price, preordered it already) and had a demo, barely anyone bought it. Were there physical stores at launch that were lower than €25?

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

yeah would be great if tearaway sold more. BTW its also now in the sales tab yet they didnt apply an discount to it ……………………….

Archacus 6 June, 2014 @ 5:44 pm   3

Hey… we are really waiting for explanation. If you can’t just say so, instead of making us wait…

Conception II on 20th position pff…. I’m quite happy with failure, even old games manage much better than this game. Hope it will teach those … silly people how to not enrage customers.

Archacus 6 June, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

Now that I think about it I’m kinda suprised that Cel Demage was worse than Concpetion II… weird

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 5:48 pm   4

Anyone from Sony reading this blog? Or is sony dead? Why is there games in the PS store in discount category since days (LBP2, Beyond Two Souls, Sound Shapes etc) , yet they have no discount ?????

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

If some of these people who work for sony would work for amazon or steam they would already be FIRED

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:04 pm

@Tipo-120B you are right i missed it because of the vita list in between the important lists. :D

but #4 is still really bad for a huge AAA game like watch dogs. this is a dissapointment for everyone. And mainly because of the price point, even 60 euros would be too much, new ps3 games better be 30 euros now especially if they miss features like watch dogs does. And they better include an upgrade to ps4 version. Gamers are not cows to be milked.

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 5:49 pm   5

and lol@ charts watch dogs not even in top20 for ps3? Maybe related to the crazy price in psn for the old ps3 ?

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

No my German friend, there’s nothing crazy about €69 for a digital PS3 gamPFFFWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 5:56 pm

Sony is dumb they already lost music (walkman), phones, notebooks, TVs… And now sony is losing games too. Why they never learn… Only a very small niche market is going to pay 60/70 for games.

Tipo-120B 6 June, 2014 @ 6:00 pm

?? It’s number 4 in charts.

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 5:57 pm   6

Really now, SCEE needs to find some way for publishers to participate in those American flash sales. Last time there was a sale for $1 games, I bought every single one of them to show that I support sales like that. The latest WB sale was a good one, lots of cheap games that were quite recently released.

Just imagine how much exposure those obscure games could get. Granted, some of them deserve to be obscure because of their mediocre/bad quality, but you would be setting more examples for other companies as well. If there’s ever a €1 sale here, I’ll buy all of the games and post screencaps here for evidence.

That being said, the Shareblog on the US PS site is worthless, they basically stopped taking ideas already and the latest entries have a Wii U amount of votes.

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

I fully agree. 1 € is a good price point for many of the psn games just like phone games , phone games have killed playstation because 100 times more (read this again sony fans, one hundret times more people!! prefer to play on their phone and NOT on playstation). Sony is losing this market because they are a dead giant who cant move and give the market what it wants: Cheap games without mp3-drm and without online-paywalls. Imagine google play starting to charge for online play?? LOL… They make it free thats why TWO BILLION PEOPLE play games on phones and playstation is DYING

crnisokol 6 June, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

@BaneyFunny
    Is somebody paying you to write ‘hate’ posts about Sony?
    If not, then I’m sorry for you…

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 6:13 pm

It took Sony a long time for PlayStation Mobile to even appear in the Netherlands. I have a smartphone now, but I don’t really game on it. But if they release some decent/good quality games at a low price for the Vita, I’d definitely bite.

One thing I’ll give Sony props for is PS+; it really gave me a lot of quality entertainment and a very reasonable price. I guess one of the reasons that I like PS+ because the only genres I don’t like are strategy/fps/puzzle games. But if they really want to call themselves ‘Greatness’, then they need to go all out and set more examples. No longer half-a**ing things, get to work on things that need to be worked on, relax some of those ridiculous policies for store content and price everything as fair as they can.

It’s even a nightmare to release avatars on the EU store, while the US store gets them a-plenty. And they’re account locked, too. Even if the avatars are on your machine, you can only use them with the account you purchased them with.

DanielMeier 6 June, 2014 @ 6:18 pm

Wow, well now im sure you are just here to troll. You should spot posting more spam, your making your self look really dumb.

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:19 pm

@crnisokol are you a fanboy? i dont love or hate consoles. i just want sony to do good but like i said they are losing gaming. Ignoring the facts like most sony fanboys and employees does not fix this problem

BillHicksLives 7 June, 2014 @ 1:20 am

Please do not feed the trolls.

crnisokol 7 June, 2014 @ 1:05 pm

@BaneyFunny
    not a fanboy and I wasn’t criticizing you for writing your opinion on Sony’s business model, just the thing that you reply on (probably) every single one comment, even on your own

Porcupeth00 6 June, 2014 @ 6:03 pm   7

Daylight beating Transistor? WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE.

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 6:06 pm

Is this a case of ‘price matters, regardless the quality’?

Porcupeth00 6 June, 2014 @ 6:19 pm

or the PewDiePie effect… either way that’s just sad

crnisokol 6 June, 2014 @ 6:06 pm   8

Hi Fred!

Do you have any info why Metal Gear Solid (PSOne) isn’t available in Croatia? And if there will be availability change anytime soon?

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:20 pm

maybe croatia saw more than enough blood and tears already?

medenko1975 6 June, 2014 @ 6:56 pm

make uk account?

crnisokol 7 June, 2014 @ 1:00 pm

@medenko1975
    it isn’t worth the hassle for one game and I want everything on my account, not into having few games on several account
    btw, if I’d be going to create another account I think US one would be far better than UK…

Watch_Dogs is there only because it was hyped, but all other games on the list are way cheaper. It just proves that extorting 100$ per game from Europeans is a horrible idea. Please shut down SCEE and give us a proper SCEA quality and prices.

Bound by Price – Never Forget Movement

BaneyFunny 6 June, 2014 @ 6:27 pm

The sad truth is even the good ps4 sales of games like watch dogs and the other AAA titles, cannot compensate the huge loss the ps4 has brought to ps3 game sales :( Of the 80 million ps3 owners not even 1% are buying games at full price anymore. If sony dont take action soon they will lose gaming to apple & samsung like they already lost music , streaming and phones.

Tipo-120B 6 June, 2014 @ 7:01 pm

I haven’t bought one game for my PS4 since I got it on launch day. I downloaded Blacklight: Retribution and that’s it. Played that for 10 hours then put the console back in its box… Still there now, never thought it would be as dry as this for games otherwise I’d have waited to buy the console!

I did steal the codes for BF4, CoD & Assasins Creed from my nephews for the discount but never used them or bought the games (didn’t realise I needed the PS3 game discs at the time!). Besides, I was only really thinking of BF4 anyway.

There’s only one or two game’s I’m looking at buying this year: Destiny and Project Cars (if it isn’t free to play). The other game I’m impatiently waiting for is Planetside 2. Untill then, it’ll stay boxed while a 7 year old console hammers it!

residentSteve 7 June, 2014 @ 8:46 am

Watchdogs was very disappointing IMO it’s the reason I brought a ps4 really wish I didn’t buy a ps4 yet.
    I should have brought a wii U with mario kart 8 it looks a lot more fun, I traded in wd now.
    Hopefully E3 will finally prove to me why I brought a ps4 .

zalwelgoedgaan 6 June, 2014 @ 6:45 pm   10

!!!!! TO SHOW EVERYONE THAT I AM NOT A FILTHY LIAR (unlike the director of a certain racing game): http://i.imgur.com/CIFJc3F.png !!!!!

Ultimate Evidence: I took screencaps that shows all of the dollar games that were on sale in the US Store. I even bought games that I already had on my EU account, like Braid, all of the Crash Bandicoot games, Retro City Rampage, Retro/Grade, Tokyo Jungle, Super Stardust, When Vikings Attack and Back to the Future (yuck.)

I… I think I’d actually also buy all of them, even if I were to play only a couple.

Archacus 6 June, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

@zalweloedgaan
    Erm… sorry but could you explain why would you be liar?

and it is Ultimate evidence for … what?

I kinda don’t know what is it about.

US games are much much cheaper…. if only we had prices as low as they have most probably SCEE would earn a lot more… less people would just buy in US.

DarkArchoNx66 7 June, 2014 @ 6:40 pm   11

So there were more idiots, besides me, that bought NBA2K14 in the recent sale before it was announced for Plus grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Somehow that makes me feel a lot better. I am not alone out there, that’s something/

TrueMurton 9 June, 2014 @ 8:36 am   12

As long as publishers can charge an additional 60% and still get their game into the chart there’s no incentive for them to price fairly.

I also wonder how many bought the “Digital Deluxe” edition, which because ours doesn’t come with the season pass like the US one is double price in real terms.

SCEE has shown that it can and will interfere with pricing (Titan Attacks priced 50p higher than the developer announced, prices applied to the free Skullgirls DLCs and of course refusing the Plus discount on Octodad) so it would be nice if they were to interfere with these publisher driven price hikes too.

E3 is this week, is Fergal Gara attending this year? We need someone from SCEE there just to confirm that anything said by the US execs apply to us, and if he wants to finally match SCEA policy and reinstate the original £40 RRP for first party games that would be awesome.