Posted 5:00pm

Get a closer look at Grim Fandango

A closer look at the unexpected revival of a beloved classic

Hi, we’re 2 Player Productions, the documentary team that brought you Penny Arcade: The Series, Minecraft: The Story of Mojang, and the Kickstarter-funded Double Fine Adventure! Two years ago, we teamed up with Double Fine Productions to prove that “Adventure Games are not dead!” Well, they’re dead now, but in the way you’ve always wanted them to be! Tim Schafer’s beloved LucasArts classic Grim Fandango is back, and we’ve put together this short retrospective documentary to get you primed for its upcoming release.

Grim Fandango

Over the fifteen years since its debut, adventure game enthusiasts have longed for the opportunity to revisit Schafer’s neo-noir take on Mexican folklore, but unless you still had the original (now out-of-print) discs, there was no official, LucasArts-sanctioned way to play it.

Grim Fandango

When Disney and LucasArts began licensing their properties to other developers last year, Double Fine reached out to arrange a deal that would allow them to resurrect Manny Calavera, travel agent to the recently deceased, and all the other skeletal inhabitants of The Land of the Dead. With the assistance of a passionate team of believers at Sony, that day has finally come. New audiences and dedicated fans alike will now have the opportunity to play the original classic, remastered for modern platforms.

Grim Fandango

After digging through VHS tape archives, piles of concept art, and talking with original team members like Schafer (lead designer), Peter McConnell (composer), and Peter Chan (artist), we set about answering the important questions like: What inspired this crazy universe? Were tank controls actually genius? And did Tim only own that one red shirt in the 90s? For all this and more, check out the clip and get hyped for the chance to relive one of gaming’s most critically-acclaimed dark comedies from the golden age of point and click.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

stathmos 10 June, 2014 @ 5:14 pm   1

Easily one of my top 10 games of all time…

salvogdaze 10 June, 2014 @ 5:29 pm   2

Missed it on PC, won’t miss it on Vita. Amazing news!

Rochala 10 June, 2014 @ 6:36 pm

This!
    My brothers still says that it’s one of the best games he played, now if they do nice touch control, Vita will be a great home for it.

scaram_diddy 10 June, 2014 @ 5:31 pm   3

Cant decide between this and Monkey Island 2 as to my favorite adventure game.

Include MI1 and Day of The Tentacle and there you have my all time favorite adventure games :)

This game was one of the games I wanted to play on PC or Amiga, but I am happy that it is getting remastered for the PS4 and I am trying to win a PS4 or save money for it.

Thank you Double Fine for bringing this on Vita. Gonna buy it the first day it arrives!

Witcher70 10 June, 2014 @ 8:39 pm   6

Looking forward to this :)

ukdk666 10 June, 2014 @ 9:36 pm

got this for pc but could never get it to work..
    can’t wait at last………

savageamusement 10 June, 2014 @ 9:09 pm   7

VITA!!!!! Please bring Monkey Island 1, 2 and 3 remastered to VITA next !!!!

Aces73High 10 June, 2014 @ 9:18 pm   8

Absolutely psyched to learn of Grim Fandango’s remastering for Vita (and PS4). Soooooo hoping they bring the truly wonderful Monkey Island games to my favourite handheld too!

residentSteve 10 June, 2014 @ 9:23 pm   9

It was great seeing all those AAA games announced for vita at E3, so sorry I couldn’t resist lol.

zip_czdz 10 June, 2014 @ 9:48 pm   10

thanks for Type-0 for the Vita once again …

Artemisthemp 10 June, 2014 @ 10:37 pm   11

I flew up fra the chair and scream YA when Grim Fandango HD was announced

I’m missing Monkey Island 1 and 2 Special Editions on the Vita… and also please pickup the 80% already completed remastered Day of Tentacle you have in a drawer somewhere and make its way to the PS world :)

X_Weapon 11 June, 2014 @ 1:00 pm   13

One of the best moment of E3.
Best to remake the Originals Adventure titles than make mediocre ones from scratch: I think of Stacking.

Devils_Demon 11 June, 2014 @ 2:44 pm   14

Bought this at full price when I was away on holidays 15 years ago. Got it home, stuck it in my PC and the game didn’t work on my system. Had to bring it over to my friend’s house every time I wanted to play it. Even on his PC it had a lot of problems such as freezing and framerates dropping to practically 1fps . Didn’t stop me from beating it though. Brilliant game. Looking forward to playing it ‘properly’.

diggymow 11 June, 2014 @ 4:15 pm   15

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you to everyone who made this happen. I’m so excited to think that others will finally get to experience this game and that I’ll have an easy way to play it again. The definition of a true classic. Can’t wait.

Ryusennin 11 June, 2014 @ 4:57 pm   16

Grim Fandango had a fantastic universe with great artwork and superb soundtrack. As a piece of gaming art, I loved it. As an adventure game, however, it was very poor with crappy controls and some truly mediocre puzzles. Tim knows it.

As a fan of Grim (the world, not the game), I’m curious to see how Double Fine is going to revisit this franchise. Will it be a useless HD version, or a complete remake? I certainly hope for the latter.

My Vita is ready ;) It’s the best platform to enjoy PC classics. Would love Monkey Islands, Full Throttle, Gabriel Knight, etc.

Disney agreed to give us this one, maybe Sony can follow it up and secure KOTOR 1 & 2 ports for Vita? Disney seems to be willing to cooperate and we would finally get big Western RPGs on Vita.