Posted 9:59pm

Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition update

Mojang looks forward to welcoming new crafters to the fold

Owen from Mojang here! We make Minecraft. In the wake of Monday night’s glitzy Press Conference we thought it would be cool to talk a bit more about our blocky, buildy, crafty game. If you prefer to scan down bullet lists instead of across sentences, check my previous post.

Minecraft on Playstation 4 will feature worlds 36 times bigger than the ones you might be used to on Playstation 3. Existing players will be able to import Playstation 3 saves to the Playstation 4 version, alowing them to continue work on an immense structure or delve even deeper towards the Nether.

ps4

Making old saves compatible with the newer versions of the game was priority for Mojang and our trusted developer chums at 4J. We value the loyalty of the Sony fans who bought Minecraft: Playstation 3 Edition last year, and want to make things as simple as possible for any early adopters. I’ve experienced the pain of lost progress many times; it’s not cool.

For similar reasons, anyone who’s previously bought Playstation 3 Edition will be able to upgrade to Playstation 4 Edition for a small fee. This applies to everyone who’s bought Minecraft digitally and transfers their PSN account to their new console. Our intention is to make this work for the disc version of Minecraft too, but it’s proving a bit trickier to set up. We’ll post more info on this as soon as possible.

The clever devs at 4J are also taking advantage of the Dualshock 4′s unique features. You’ll be able to navigate all the menus (and craft) by using the touchpad and, of course, share and stream your experiences thanks to Playstation 4′s built-in social thingymabobs. It’s all completely optional, so don’t worry if you’re not keen on moving your thumbs or showing off your skills.

There’ll be a heap of Trophies to be earned for the hunters and a bunch of Sony-specific DLC coming soon after release. While I’m talking facts, I may as well mention that Minecraft will support up to eight players online, and up to four of those will be able to log in via one Playstation 4 thanks to the compact convenience of split-screen.

I don’t think anyone at Mojang is entirely sure why Minecraft has been quite so successful over the past few years, but all of us have experienced the fun of playing and witnessed it capture the imagination of spectators and backseat gamers, no matter their age or gender.

We look forward to sharing those experiences with lots more of you this August.

Thanks for reading and double thanks for playing Minecraft!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Artemisthemp 12 June, 2014 @ 10:09 pm   1

I hope the Journey skin will be available from Day 1

Giraffe_Spaff 12 June, 2014 @ 10:11 pm   2

I’m disappointed that it’s still only 8 players can play online, i was hoping for online servers to play and build with anyone instead of just friends. Which would be useful for mini games such as hunger games, spleef etc. or just general creative/survival.

Gamaqadra 13 June, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

Same here, whats the point of this game when there are no servers and you can only play with 8 of your friends? That takes away half of the game. Why couldnt they make a dedicated server? Phil Spencer kept saying on our dedicated servers blah blah blah on our dedicated servers. Why cant Sony have dedicated servers, now when PS+ is mandatory for online play?

TheMegaRedHead 15 June, 2014 @ 10:06 pm

Because it takes a long time to set up the dedicated servers…

zip_czdz 12 June, 2014 @ 10:21 pm   3

What about Vita edition? Will be bundle?

twinspectre 12 June, 2014 @ 10:44 pm   4

what’s the point of smaller maps? i want the map to be infinite like PC version.

i don’t buy it untill you don’t answer me why the smaller map compared to the pc version

RyanSufc1997 13 June, 2014 @ 1:38 am

Simple. Memory and storage isn’t as infinite on PS4. Someone could break their PS4 if too much RAM and storage is taken up. You do realize 36x bigger is almost *like* infinite. You would never use all of it up it is giant. Potentially bigger that some countries.

lewiswb14 13 June, 2014 @ 8:19 pm

Try to go millions of blocks away from your spawn in the PC version, look at your hard drive, notice the crazy amount of space it takes up.

ShadowAsh99 15 June, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

The thing that annoys me us the fact that Minecraft PE is getting infinite worlds.

shortmaneighty2 12 June, 2014 @ 11:48 pm   5

Its to do with the save file size limit they said.

shortmaneighty2 12 June, 2014 @ 11:49 pm   6

Can’t wait by the way. I presume remote play will be supported?

madmanwithabox12 13 June, 2014 @ 12:04 am   7

How about that Vita version. Getting sick of seeing all this PS4 talk and no Vita love on the blog. This game is coming to Vita and that’s the far more intriguing version. Tell us about that one.

PMurphy1978 13 June, 2014 @ 6:44 am

Indeed. I’d like to see a video and some passion about the Vita version. This title, especially in a well publicised bundle will shift a few vita systems.

nalla87 15 June, 2014 @ 1:29 pm

How dare they talk about the new console, which has a way bigger install base and potential…?!

I mean it’s not as if the PS4 version is planned to be released first. Mojang will probably just release it for Vita without announcing it, that is how much they CLEARLY hate the Vita…

“We look forward to sharing those experiences with lots more of you this August.”

so i’m assuming this is a release date for the ps4 version? i hope so.

PMurphy1978 13 June, 2014 @ 6:42 am

August has already been confirmed. We just don’t know when in August yet. Hopefully early. ;)

cjschris 13 June, 2014 @ 1:12 am   9

I wish you’d just make the maps smaller so that saves would work between Vita, PS4, and PS3. Getting a PS4 in September, but worried that if I move my save to PS4 I’ll never actually be able to play the Vita game without starting new. As you said, losing progress isn’t cool.

TrueMurton 13 June, 2014 @ 7:13 am

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that the Vita version will be cross save with the PS3 but not sure about the PS4. I think it might have been cross buy too but that may just be wishful thinking.

PMurphy1978 13 June, 2014 @ 6:42 am   10

I agree, although larger worlds are appealing and impressive, I would also like the option to create a Vita compatible save file so that it can be sent back and forth.

ten-bucks 13 June, 2014 @ 6:57 am   11

Small price to upgrade to ps4 for digital and disc? Excellent news!! I’ll be getting some of that action. What about vita love??????

Opt1mus76 13 June, 2014 @ 8:17 am   12

Will dlc be cross-buy or included for PS4/Vita?

azeLLamarie 13 June, 2014 @ 9:14 am   13

Can’t wait for this! Cross buy for Ps3/Vita then just $4.99 (€4.99 i assume here) upgrade to ps4. I think this will be my ultimate reason to buy a ps4. :))

mrfodder 13 June, 2014 @ 10:41 am   14

Can you confirm PS3/Vita cross-buy in Europe?

PMurphy1978 13 June, 2014 @ 11:45 am

It has been confirmed already.

TrueMurton 13 June, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

@PMurphy1978

Mojang said this already a few weeks back, but for someone who didn’t catch that announcement I’d say it’s quite reasonable to question whether it applies for Europe. After all at E3 2013 Sony announced that first party games wouldn’t increase in RRP, it wasn’t until the console actually released that we found out that it was a SCEA policy only and that Europe would be looking at a 40% price increase across all titles and DLCs.

Similarly at E3 this year Sony announced the PSTV device would be released in both US and Europe, they then proceeded to price the device at $60 for the standalone and detail a super-crazy-megabundle for $139, this was delivered at the overall plan. Next day in a small questions and answers session about the device they then reveal that the equivalent UK price is $120 and there’s no bundle option at all.

If you go back to previous years as well there’s always at least one announcement made that is delivered as a global initiative that then turns out to be US only.

oxXDAZXxo 13 June, 2014 @ 10:44 am   15

Hi Owen, a few questions…
will the core game be the same as ps3 version or have all the features of the pc game?
If I transfere my ps3 save game to ps4 will it be set in the 36x larger world or the same size as on ps3?
Is it the same trophy list as ps3 and if so can they be earnt again on ps4?

helder-paulino 14 June, 2014 @ 6:03 pm   16

I hope they fix a glitch I suffered in the game the last time I played. I was playing and a part of the world just disappeared. But just for me. My friend could walk in there but I couldn’t

shake_zulaYEAH 16 June, 2014 @ 10:31 am   17

New trophies or just the ps3 ones again?

Assassin-_-MerKz 16 June, 2014 @ 1:26 pm   18

im in Ireland and im thinking of buying Minecraft PS3 Edition can i still upgrade for the small fee ? buying it wenesday