Posted 1:59pm

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition PS4 release date confirmed

A new expanded edition of Drinkbox's acclaimed platformer arrives soon

Hello friends! Matt from DrinkBox Studios here with a big news announcement. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is launching for PS4 on 2nd July!

For those not in the know, we released the original Guacamelee last April for PS3 and PS Vita. As it turns out, a lot of you enjoyed playing as luchadors Juan and Tostada, punching skeletons and platforming through a magical, Mexican-inspired world to save El Presidente’s Daughter from Carlos Calaca and his gang of minions.

GuacSTCE_screens_B

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition has all the great action from the original game, including both the costume and Infierno DLC, and we’ve added a bunch of new content to enhance your Guac experience.

Some things we’ve added: more words to the title, an extra save slot, new costumes, creepy hanging dolls, two extra levels, new and improved enemies, another save slot, a new dimension-switching ability called “Shadow Swap,” chicken egg bombs, an NPC with an impossibly large head, and a power called INTENSO.

DN_011 DN_020DN_CO-OP_004

We’ve also added a new boss, El Trio, a.k.a. “Terrible Trio.” They are a three-headed skeleton in charge of assembling Carlos Calaca’s army of skeletons from a skeleton factory inside a volcano. El Trio appears in a few areas in the game to throw new enemy prototypes in your path and a few new puns as well.

El Trio were a musical quartet back in the land of the Living, but the lead singer, named Pedro, went missing and never appeared in the land of the Dead. Longing to be reunited with their missing band member, El Trio and Carlos Calaca made a deal: Calaca would help them find Pedro in exchange for a skeleton army. Will they ever produce enough skeletons to fulfill their end of the bargain?

Talk to us about #GuacSTCE in the comments or here on Twitter. We hope you like it!

GuacSTCE_screens_C

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

46 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

So… where are the “details of the upgrade discount for those who own the original version”?

Wondering that aswell! Read through 3 times and didn’t find it.

MonkeyMonger 19 June, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

Where is that quoted?

MonkeyMonger 19 June, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

Just seen, sorry.

The promised upgrade discount for Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack on PS3 (the Delicious Bundle) for people who own it on Vita is still missing in the store!

Please fix this!

Guacamelee! on vita and ps3 was fantastic! Heck, even on PC! But 1 question.. Does this version have a new trophy list? If so, i would gladly dip into this version aswell~ Assuming it does, but would just love to know for certain.

Matthew Johns 19 June, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

We have a lot of new trophies, but kept some of our favourites from the original.

PAUL_UK-77 19 June, 2014 @ 2:14 pm   3

Plus, details of the upgrade discount for those who own the original version

am i missing something here?

Matthew Johns 19 June, 2014 @ 2:27 pm   4

Hey all, our preference would be to offer an incentive for owners of the original Guacamelee!(PS3/PSVita), but just trying to determine if this will be possible for us. We’ll post info as soon as we know.

Ziomano 19 June, 2014 @ 2:31 pm

All right, so waiting for info & fingers crossed!

masayers 19 June, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

I think the preference of most PS4 owners would be to get games for psplus that they couldn’t have been played on a PS2. When a moderately successful indie game is big news for the PS4 community then Sony needs to invest serious time and money at doing more.

How about one AAA title for the folks who spent all that money on a PS4 and didn’t even get driver club!

Mcbeanstr 19 June, 2014 @ 2:33 pm   5

Something fishy going on here… According to the devs they want to offer a discount to those who owned it before but maybe Sony doesn’t want that to happen? Makes no sense to mention it in the headline and then say they are still determining if it’s possible

BaneyFunny 19 June, 2014 @ 2:37 pm

They just said they rather give an incentive, that is not a discount.

No price and no info on upgrade- this is going to be the July ps+ offering isnt it?

leejfoster 19 June, 2014 @ 2:37 pm   7

I bet this is one of ps4 ps plus games for july

:( not another PS+ game that is an PS3 port(with some added things)…

GrimLink 19 June, 2014 @ 2:45 pm   8

Looking forward getting a second taste of guacamelee ;)

ste_the_legend 19 June, 2014 @ 2:56 pm   9

“Plus, details of the upgrade discount for those who own the original version” has now been removed from the original article.

Except from Matthew Johns’ comments it sounds as if they haven’t even been decided / agreed yet. So why mention it at all?

This is not the first time that things posted on here have been incorrect or misleading recently. Glad it’s been edited now but still, not cool.

I really liked this on my Vita and I think I’ll like it on the PS4 too.

Are there any new songs being added into the game?

Matthew Johns 19 June, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

There is some new music, yes. But it’s mostly the original soundtrack.

That’s good to hear. The OST is great, one of my favourites.

PAUL_UK-77 19 June, 2014 @ 3:03 pm   11

read your post sony before posting with false info .. getting terrible for this

ThugETH 19 June, 2014 @ 3:03 pm   12

Platinumed it on Vita, bought the challenge rooms DLC, so how big are the new levels? Can you compare them to any of the existing level sizes?
I am interested in buying this update but want more intricate info first.
After the end of next month the big PS4 games will start to release so it will be a while before I look into anything else, TLOUR, Diablo 3, Destiny, Evil Within, Mordor and many more!

Matthew Johns 19 June, 2014 @ 3:11 pm   13

Each of the two new levels are bigger than any of the levels in the old game. Plus, they have more secrets and chests to find as well.

Lyonjak 19 June, 2014 @ 3:36 pm   14

Really enjoyed this on PS3/Vita so looking forward to the PS4 edition, hopefully there will be a discount for current owners to encourage the upgrade.

HomessaHomem 19 June, 2014 @ 3:39 pm   15

I WANT THIS VERSION IN MY VITA TOO, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

So what about pricing and a upgrade offer?

Matthew Johns 19 June, 2014 @ 3:50 pm   17

We are working on those details. Hope to have some news on that front for you soon.

pressmyfoot 19 June, 2014 @ 3:57 pm   18

I love the soundtrack, I even juan a copy on your twitter competition…

Guacamelee.. The best game of 2013. Bar none.

pmf (getting his mel-on)

Positronic_Brain 19 June, 2014 @ 4:00 pm   19

Is that a Xochimilco/chalupa based-level what I see in that picture? Sold!

Maulerr_NL 19 June, 2014 @ 4:12 pm   20

Sweet! I’ve collected all it’s Trophies (including DLC) on PS3 en PS Vita on first PSN account (Maulerr). Last year I started a new PSN account (the one I’m using now) and again I’ve collected all Trophies on the PS3 and PS Vita. Changes are I’ll be getting them on the PS4 as well. Great action platformer game! Back to the good ol’ days.

A_Nonny_Moose 19 June, 2014 @ 4:21 pm   21

I want this on my Vita, and not through remote play. I bought your game Drinkbox, and all the DLC. I own both the Blob games too. Don’t leave me out in the dark. Pleeeeeeease.

dee4life4444 19 June, 2014 @ 7:32 pm   22

Had the first version on the PS3 and it was a HUGGGGGEEE surprise to me, just how good it was! I thought it was a bit of a hidden gem. Will get it for the PS4 also becuase of all of the DLC. Not expecting it for free because I had it before but around £4.99 would be nice :)

link1983 19 June, 2014 @ 7:45 pm   23

2nd of July eh? Ladies and Gentleman of the PS Plus membership, I give you the first of the 2 PS4 games for July’s update. . . Another PS3 game :)

m3gaman2020 19 June, 2014 @ 7:57 pm   24

Well that does it, I’m selling my playstation 4 (or should I say portstation) I bought a ps4 to play new games not a bunch of ports. Been a fan of playstation since the ps1 but this is too much now, it’s ridiculous how many games have been ported.

JediKnight246 19 June, 2014 @ 10:15 pm

New consoles are always slow to get games in their first year. That’s the downside of being an early adopter. It was the same for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as well when they were released. It’s the same for the Xbox One and Wii U right now. The PS3 didn’t even have ports and indie games, it was just “not much” between the launch games at the start of the year and games like Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune at the end.

Bacon_Crispies 20 June, 2014 @ 12:45 pm

I always find it funny that people have purchased an expensive console with the hope that some games they like come out for it, why not just wait until they do, buying early is stupid, like the people who brought a PS3 for FF13 VS and the Last Guardian.

Big AAA games don’t get announced and released a few weeks apart, they always get announced around a year before release, if you don’t want any of the games out currently for the system or coming out in the next year then don’t buy one.

Porcupeth00 20 June, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

how does more games = bad thing?

Quinlank 22 June, 2014 @ 1:10 am

The ‘new’ games coming out on PS4 still outnumber the ports significantly though… and this has still been a dramatically better first year than the PS3 had, so I don’t know what people like you were realistically expecting here.

I do wish that all these extras were a DLC bundle for the PS3/Vita versions.

That being said, loved the first release and all the DLC, will be buying this again and also wished this newer version was on the Vita also.

Plus, Guacamel-EH! – This HAS to happen as a continuing sequel or brand new hero!

I’ve lost count of the number of play throughs I’ve had on this game. It’s simply one of the best games I’ve ever played. (and I’ve been playing games for over 35 years) It’s the perfect example of how a great game doesn’t need cutting edge graphics. Clever writing, an exceptional soundtrack and excellent mechanics make this a MUST HAVE title for me. If you’re reading this and you’ve not played this game, then go buy it, play it, enjoy it, you can thank me when you’ve finished it for the 20th time.

Quinlank 22 June, 2014 @ 1:11 am   27

Kinda sucks you aren’t offering the updates to the game as DLC for the Vita/PS3 versions of the game or something.

theotheo1983 1 July, 2014 @ 12:55 pm   28

I would love to play all the new content and just relive the amazingness of this game but as a day one buyer I’m not sure I’m willing to pay the full sum all over again. Maybe if the Vita version would be upgraded as well I’d pay the full sum. Will prolly wait for discount tho. (still haven’t gotten that platinum om ps3 so more work to do there anyways)